• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

How many people registered to vote in the final week? I'm hoping that the majority Are younger demographics who may vote Labour and swing a few seats.

JFC, of course you would feel happier with work-life balance if you don't work full time

It's very telling that that survey says nothing about actually important metrics, such as economical security

Hey work-life balance is important.

Unless you're a student I don't see why zero hours would be a benefit. Would rather have a guaranteed income coming in.

I'll give you an example then. My mum retired last year, and she just wants some work to keep busy. So she interviewed last week for a role as a carer with a firm. This firm is basically a one man band, they've got seven clients at present but the woman running it wants some help to cover holidays, sickness or just when it gets a bit busy. She can't afford to take on a full time employee. Likewise my mum isn't interested in any commitment.

Zero hours works for both of them. Yes, abuse of zero hours contracts is bad, but the contracts themselves are not inherently evil.

Go_Ly_Dow

My former boss of 4 years, a business owner (Recruitment) and a man I used to respect keeps sharing shit like this. Makes me sad to see how easily he swallows shit like this up.

J7dFsHU.jpg

2fJvdXn.jpg

fXPcHiL.jpg

Mr. Sam

I'm pretty sure that last picture has been debunked as not being Corbyn - i.e. it's actually just a man with a beard. While Corbyn is a man with a beard, he's not every man with a beard.

I had a dream last night that I was in a car with Diane Abbott and she couldn't figure out how to take her foot off the accelerator and I thought she was going to get us killed. My dreams aren't very subtle with the symbolism apparently.

*Splinter

The prediction of a close result in the Times helps both sides. Plenty of Labour/Lib Dem voters previously believed this election was hopeless, it's not just the Tories that will see better turnout thanks to this. I would expect to see more tactical voting as well.

As for zero hour contracts, they obviously work for some people but I'm not concerned about the cases where they work, I'm concerned about the cases where they don't and it's easy to see how they can be abused. I think they should be better regulated (presumably by making sure they are always optional, as well as considerations about things like sick pay) rather than outright banned.

Question about the supposed flexibility though:
A friend of mine supplements his income doing extra work at a marketing agency. If he has the time he'll let them know - if not, he doesn't. The zero hour contract works for both parties here.
Is this sort of situation impossible to arrange without zero hour contracts? I thought they were a relatively new thing, and this isn't a new scenario.

Lego Boss

I've said it before (and I am no fan of JC), this guy is like a dog with a beetroot, he just won't let go. His party doesn't want him, his country doesn't want him, but he's killing it at the moment.

Will a week be long enough? I think that his party is going to do much better than expected at the beginning, but I'm not sure just how accurate that methodology is.

Would go with a 30 Tory majority at the moment, which has to be better than the 100+ landlslide.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
May visiting Devon to mock a fisherman's pathetic excuse for designer trousers.

06167f57-f97a-42f8-a990-5ea7adca40fc.jpg

Wvrs

Zero hours works for both of them. Yes, abuse of zero hours contracts is bad, but the contracts themselves are not inherently evil.

The potential for such contracts to be exploitative outweighs any benefits. It's not fun having no idea how much you're earning week to week, I'm on a zero hours contract and it's fucked me, I need to save money in June and I'm forced to take extra shifts wherever anyone can spare them, meaning today I'm doing an 11am-5.30pm, then 9pm-3am. I've been employed since August, I should have job security and consistent hours. Fuck this country's working rights and its "got mine, fuck you" culture.

TimmmV

The potential for such contracts to be exploitative outweighs any benefits. It's not fun having no idea how much you're earning week to week, I'm on a zero hours contract and it's fucked me, I need to save money in June and I'm forced to take extra shifts wherever anyone can spare them, meaning today I'm doing an 11am-5.30pm, then 9pm-3am. I've been employed since August, I should have job security and consistent hours. Fuck this country's working rights and its "got mine, fuck you" culture.

Yeah but think of the flexibility you have!

Please stop being so selfish and think about the students who want some flexibility and retired people who want a little bit of work to "keep busy".

PowderedToast

The prediction of a close result in the Times helps both sides. Plenty of Labour/Lib Dem voters previously believed this election was hopeless, it's not just the Tories that will see better turnout thanks to this. I would expect to see more tactical voting as well.

agreed, it will inspire young people to turn out if they believe they can make a difference with their vote and get labour over the finish line

I get the skepticism, but it's not a water tight strategy for the tories by any means

I still think corbyn needs at least one more public win in the next week, and the debate tonight could be that. but it could also seal the election for may. it's a big gamble with potentially huge benefits.

How's your work-life balance?

Theonik

Please stop being so selfish and think about the students who want some flexibility and retired people who want a little bit of work to "keep busy".
My sister is on a zero hour contract as a student and what she gets is anything but flexibility. Basically whenever there is work available shifts go up and are given out first come first serve. Now any flexibility she gets is in whether she takes the shifts or not, but in practice that really isn't what's on offer and if people don't take shifts they just end up being dismissed. The flexibility is still there. Just lies squarely in the hands of the employer.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
My former boss of 4 years, a business owner (Recruitment) and a man I used to respect keeps sharing shit like this. Makes me sad to see how easily he swallows shit like this up.

Guy I went to school with who seems pretty well adjusted all things considered was posting yesterday about how 'No deal is better than a bad deal' ignoring the fact that his wife isn't a British citizen and wouldn't be guaranteed a right to stay.

...Mind you I guess I don't know anything about their marriage, maybe that's what he's counting on.

Moosichu

I have never understood the "it's unfair that people who choose not work have it better off than me" crowd. Like, surely if its that good why don't you just stop working now then?

Mr. Sam

Guy I went to school with who seems pretty well adjusted all things considered was posting yesterday about how 'No deal is better than a bad deal' ignoring the fact that his wife isn't a British citizen and wouldn't be guaranteed a right to stay.

...Mind you I guess I don't know anything about their marriage, maybe that's what he's counting on.

Tales from the doorstep:

Met a lady who voted Leave. Her husband was Portuguese. My internal monologue said "Maybe she doesn't like him very much."

It’s such an infuriating thing to see so many people who simply aren’t able to think logically and follow the potential chain of events.

I have known plenty of people like this, go around life thinking they know it all yet they are oblivious to how things actually work and most of the time nothing will ever make them change their mind.

Who knew we'd ultimately be screwed over by the British penchant of hating your spouse.

Wait. Holy shit. Leave voters and the press keep calling Brexit a 'divorce.' Oh my God.

He sees his wife as one of the 'good ones' that won't be asked to leave should it come to it.

But my wife works, she pays taxes, she contributes and doesn't take anything from the state, why can't she stay...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Something I thought Hazzuh might find interesting - while ICM is the least favourable pollster to Labour (12 point lead), it actually shows the reverse to what you'd expect, with the Conservatives ahead 39% to 38% Labour in marginal seats. The Conservatives are piling up votes in safe seats, and the ICM poll would only lead to about 30 losses for Labour.

This will be a really interesting election from a statistical perspective. Lots of people are going to be wrong in some way, and you can learn a lot from that.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I have never understood the "it's unfair that people who choose not work have it better off than me" crowd. Like, surely if its that good why don't you just stop working now then?

Yup. Same as people who say "prison is a holiday camp at the tax payer's expense." Why the fuck wouldn't you want to be in prison if that were true?

Mr. Sam

Something I thought Hazzuh might find interesting - while ICM is the least favourable pollster to Labour (12 point lead), it actually shows the reverse to what you'd expect, with the Conservatives ahead 39% to 38% Labour in marginal seats. The Conservatives are piling up votes in safe seats, and the ICM poll would only lead to about 30 losses for Labour.

This will be a really interesting election from a statistical perspective. Lots of people are going to be wrong in some way, and you can learn a lot from that.

The rule of thumb is that pollsters are too generous towards Labour - even, somehow, after that's taken into account in the methodology. I'm sceptical.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The rule of thumb is that pollsters are too generous towards Labour - even, somehow, after that's taken into account in the methodology. I'm sceptical.

It's difficult to see how that would be true for ICM. Their unweighted sample has a 3-point lead for the Conservatives, turned into a 12-point lead after weighting. I'm not sure how much more aggressive they can get!

Wvrs

I am a student, about to graduate, and yeah I guess it was a boon to be able to pick up/drop shifts when I needed. But not every student has the luxury of going home to a stable family to live rent-free half the year, and if that's your situation there is no help for you. My only recourse to avoid being homeless in July/August is to work, and when I'm allocated shifts I barely earn enough to make ends meet, never mind square a bit of money away and have that freedom.

It's very variable. Sometimes I get a lot of hours. All odd-hours shifts, leaving me with sometimes just a few hours to sleep before I have to be up for a morning shift. Then other weeks I'm hung out to dry. The end result is financial insecurity, and it's not a fun life.
I'd rather have little "flexibility" if it mean I knew where I stand more than a week into the future.

I'll be quitting this job and leaving the country soon, anyway, the second I graduate. I've been fully disillusioned.

Mr. Sam

It's difficult to see how that would be true for ICM. Their unweighted sample has a 3-point lead for the Conservatives, turned into a 12-point lead after weighting. I'm not sure how much more aggressive they can get!

It's never, ever aggressive enough. Just put Labour on 0 seats and let me be pleasantly surprised in the morning.

TimmmV

It's always with the implication that therefore the other person should have it worse than them too, not that they should have it better. I'll never understand being that selfish

Oh it's enforced on me through work, trust me I wouldn't listen if I had a choice.

Wait, that means there's multiple? Bloody hell this day brings more surprises.

The most I've heard of Julia Hartley-Brewer is at the end of her show when she hands over to Jon Holmes who normally will try and put her off or say something terrible about her.

scotcheggz

Wait, that means there's multiple? Bloody hell this day brings more surprises.

The most I've heard of Julia Hartley-Brewer is at the end of her show when she hands over to Jon Holmes who normally will try and put her off or say something terrible about her.

lol. She's an absolute witch. Hideous women. Fortunately it's only on in the staff room so I only have to catch bits and bobs.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

bbc continue their week of trash tier reporting. let's see what the highest rated comment is...

‘Sterling dips on new UK election poll’

That’s because everyone knows a Labour government
would ruin the UK.

Don’t worry,
Labour may get votes off the clueless teens

But the Tories will gain 4 million votes from UKIP voters
Who can see that allowing Corbyn into power is suicide for the UK

fantastic.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Does anyone think the UK will just accept the EU in everything but name and act like they are the Free Empire Snowflake. It's stupid to leave right, really stupid and anything but a really soft exit, basically nothing changes except you have zero say in any EU matters is the wise move that doesn't result in a shit show?

I just can't get my head around it, how does the UK come out good in any way without the shit hitting the fan?

tbh if I've suggested this as the way out of the situation. The thumb headed 'are britane' types would never cotton on to the difference.

PJV3

bbc continue their week of trash tier reporting. let's see what the highest rated comment is...

fantastic.

Yeah, I think the ticking EU exit clock and hung parliament negotiations are more worrying for the markets than a really weak potential leftie labour prime minister.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Maybe Sinn Fein will finally take their seats to back Corbyn for PM.

---

Also Theresa May is a loser.

It will never happen, but if SF took their seats to give a left wing coalition majority it would be hilarious and probably kill off a few thousand tory pensioners with well deserved heart attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom