• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gawge

Excellent decision by Corbyn to take part.

Didn't take any hits, but Theresa May sure did. He may have had a marginal benefit towards his own popularity as well.

Labour are at a stage where they are gathering momentum and increasing support, but haven't been taking too much away from the Tories. That's what needs to happen now - and that's why his appearance tonight was a good decision. I can see May taking hits from this.

OK I'm just pleased I feel a bit vindicated in putting my trust in the guy.

ANYWAY

Nuttall = 0/10 - the man is the real face of UKIP and his party will collapse after this election.
Wood = 6/10 - I personally really like Leanne Wood. Not her best performance but she's an alright sort.
Corbyn = 8/10 - I think he could have made more of an impact, but he was the only PM candidate there tonight and he looked it, as shocking as writing that is. He gets an extra point out of 10 just for showing up, and I am damn glad he did.
Rudd = Who cares/10
Lucas = 7.5/10 I have a lot of time for about 50% of the Green's platform but she does say some bonkers things sometimes. I hope she keeps her seat. She was solid tonight but she gives the same general performance, and she steals FAR too much rhetoric from the Lib Dems.
Robertson = 6.5/10 Robertson felt like the odd one out tonight and it showed. He made perfectly good points but I dunno, something off about him.

I think Farron did excellently, far, far better than he did at the ITV debate. But I think the real losers here were Rudd and Nuttall.

Everyone I speak to who are long term Labour supporters say they don't want to vote for Corbyn. My self included.

Where the fuck does that leave us?

Recognise Corbyn isn't the party. He's repeatedly said he's backed down on some of his stances so everyone was happy with the manifesto.

You and all your friends know that Labour paints a brighter picture for the future than the conservatives. Don't let worries about Corbyn and play into their hands. Besides a hung parliament would be pretty bantz.

Next time they should do a two hour session where they have to reveal their manifestos, for the first time, one policy at a time. Like a game of Gwent.

Can't we just do it like Hearthstone and just have policies flying all around and not knowing what the hell is going on. And then they play around with the well in the corner between turns.

Daemul

You don't vote in this country for the fucking leader of the party, you vote for the party. This is not a presidency.

It's amazing how many people don't seem to know this.

For 99% of the people who will be voting next week, the names Jeremy Corbyn and Theresa May will NOT appear on their ballots.

WhatNXt

Tim Farron's turn over to bake off line is the best moment of this election for me. Laughed and clapped IRL.. Voting Labour, but good God Tim that was beautiful!

Theresa May looks shameful for not taking part. Rudd didn't play very sincerely to my ears, but I would feel that way I guess.

Lots of great material for those who edit and chop these sort of things up.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

For 99% of the people who will be voting next week, the names Jeremy Corbyn and Theresa May will NOT appear on their ballots.

99.84%, to be precise.

Audioboxer

For 99% of the people who will be voting, the names Jeremy Corbyn and Theresa May will NOT appear on their ballots.

Yes, but they still impact on public perception. I get everyone piling on cyberheater to say vote for the party but remember weeks/month(s) ago even nearly half of GAF was attacking Corbyn for ruining Labour.

It's like when the SNP upgraded from Salmond to Sturgeon. It is possible to "improve" your party by getting the leader right. That being said, as I just said, Corbyn isn't May/Farage, and at times some of the hostility has been a bit over the top.

Anyway, back to the debate, what the hell do we think of the UK at large if after all these current on-goings, and what is undoubtedly still to come in the next week, the country still votes Conservative? I mean, it's going to happen, but what on earth happens in the next 4~8+ years to actually vote out a party who can car crash as bad as this and STILL win? That's the dilemma that pisses off many Scots. It doesn't seem to matter how objectively awful both the Tories do/appear, they just seem to get the vote regardless.

oti

Banned
Awwwwwwww man I wanted to watch this but I'm right in the middle of a House of Cards marathon.

What did I miss?

WAIT HOLD ON BAKE OFF IS BACK?

Yes, but they still impact on public perception. I get everyone piling on cyberheater to say vote for the party but remember weeks/month(s) ago even nearly half of GAF was attacking Corbyn for ruining Labour.

It's like when the SNP upgraded from Salmond to Sturgeon. It is possible to "improve" your party by getting the leader right. That being said, as I just said, Corbyn isn't May/Farage, and at times some of the hostility has been a bit over the top.

Anyway, back to the debate, what the hell do we think of the UK at large if after all these current on-goings, and what is undoubtedly still to come in the next few weeks, the country still votes Conservative? I mean, it's going to happen, but what on earth happens in the next 4~8 years to actually vote out a party who can car crash as bad as this and STILL win?

We can take solace in the fact that post-brexit and with more Tory cuts the conservative party is going to be left battered and broken and the country will be gagging for a progressive government.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Media spin seems to be: no clear winner, clear loser was May. That's given me some hope - seeing that line pretty consistently across BBC/Guardian/Telegraph (even if they're at loath to admit it).

Goodlife

Awwwwwwww man I wanted to watch this but I'm right in the middle of a House of Cards marathon.

What did I miss?
Farron made a couple of funnies.
Nutall was UKIP on heat..
Corbyn kind of stumbled his was through immigration but did ok other than that
Rudd was shit, but turns out her dad died on Monday.
I love Caroline Lucas

Par Score

I think the most important part of the debate happened before it started. All the Party Leaders turned up, and May didn't.

All the best soundbites were slagging May off for not bothering to turn up, and that's a powerful message when turnout for the election is so key. Being able to say "I turned up, so should you" is a powerful motivator, it's peer pressure.

May put no pressure on her voters tonight.

Just one thing to add. Rudd's father died on Monday.

Did May push her into turning up tonight?

And this... This... There are not the fucking words.

May is a chancer and a coward and I hope she gets what she deserves from this election.

Audioboxer

We can take solace in the fact that post-brexit and with more Tory cuts the conservative party is going to be left battered and broken and the country will be gagging for a progressive government.

You'd think. Incredibly frustrating the apparent solution appears to be get to absolute rock bottom before anything can change. We're already in a shitty position, but it appears we still need to go lower. Then you have to consider how much of the damage will be reversible, and how long will it take?

I guess what I'm saying is do we wake up the morning after the election feeling sober at the result, or is it somehow a "win" simply because we "lost" by a lesser margin than expected? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Consensus was that it was a good night for most but Farron had a lot of memorable lines. I'm perfectly happy with that as a Lib Dem. Frankly I'm not a fan of Corbyn's party but I can't deny at this point I'd love to see a Tory humiliation on the 8th of June, both as a revenge for what they've did to my party in 2015 and a revenge to what they've done to the country.

Go Corbyn!!

Being a medical student and at Uni it feels like everyone is gonna vote Labour but I know the reality is far from this

I'm voting in a marginal seat though so hopefully it'll do some good :)

Can't begrudge Huw getting excited after Farron's performance tonight.

Shame on May for having neither the courage nor the decency to come to the debate after Rudd's father died, what a fucking snake.

Aki-at

Turned on Sky News and saw someone who said something along the lines of "Thank god we can deal with the Europeans on a new deal and if not we can just use WTO rules"

I need to sit down...

Izuna

Banned
Everyone I speak to who are long term Labour supporters say they don't want to vote for Corbyn. My self included.

I have a family member that went from Labour to Conservative BECAUSE she hates what the EU did to Greece. (this isn't sarcasm or a joke)

It's over.

Breakage

That Saudi Arms line from Rudd needs to get more heat imo. Fucking disgraceful to try and justify arming the people that arm terrorism as boosting UK industry
Yeah, remarkable how that gets brushed under the carpet. Seems morals go out the window when it comes to money. Boris Johnson's excuse was along the lines of "if we don't sell them then someone else will".

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Corbyn went straight from the debate to talk to people who were outside

DBLlgtIW0AIbNEG.jpg:large

hohoXD123

Yeah, remarkable how that gets brushed under the carpet. Seems morals go out the window when it comes to money. Boris Johnson's excuse was along the lines of "if we don't sell them then someone else will".

In that case can we just cut out the middle man and sell weapons to ISIS directly?

Maztorre

How can you be a "long term Labour supporter" yet have difficulty holding your nose for what is Labour's best manifesto in forever? Corbyn has deferred to the party on his personal contentious policies (e.g. nuclear, Trident) and what's left has broad public support.

Orbis

Labour really called Theresa's bluff having Corbyn show up tonight. I guess it was in response to him doing reasonably well in the C4/Sky event but it clearly took the Tories by surprise.

If they decrease their majority in this election, tonight's mistake will forever haunt them, even if it was only one factor in a general campaign of chaos.

Tories announce bereavement leave policy
May sends Rudd to work

Sounds about right.

The fact that Rudd turned up at all is probably an indicator of how few people May trusts within her cabinet.

Can't begrudge Huw getting excited after Farron's performance tonight.

Shame on May for having neither the courage nor the decency to come to the debate after Rudd's father died, what a fucking snake.

It was just a nice night after a rough day.

And IMO after hearing that Rudd had been bereaved - fair play to her.

Breakage

In that case can we just cut out the middle man and sell weapons to ISIS directly?
Might as well. The Saudi arms deals we have are what make our government's condemnation of terror attacks so insincere. They say terror attacks are appalling while flogging weapons and jets to the place that inspires the terrorist's violent ideology. But it's all about the money at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom