• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Corbyn isn't pro-EU.

If you want single market, your best hope is a (very late) Lib Dem surge and a hung Parliament. In reality though, I think that situation would just lead to a second election - 1974-esque.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

TrutaS

No, essentially the UK are leaving the EU. How it leaves depends on party policy. Labour have already committed to single market access and the freedom of movement that comes with it (aka the "soft brexit").

He just said in the latest speech he would end the freedom of movement, if I understood correctly - would love to be corrected.

I still want him to win, since at least I know he'll be a lot more reasonable with the deal and generous for EU people.

Corbyn has pledged his party to take us out of the single market. That's just a fact.

He has, however, vowed not to walk away from negotiations - it's pretty much the only bit of his Brexit policy that is, officially, different from May's.

Pandy

Unfortunately for the LDs, I think the idea that "the people have decided" still chimes with an awful lot of people.

While a second rubber-stamping referendum makes sense to many (myself included), I think some people feel it would be folly to promise one - as it would risk emboldening European negotiators to offer a deal that the UK public won't agree to, and then we're in a position where "the 52%" are outraged at the possibility of there being a conspiracy to overturn their decision. And some others still feel that the ball has started rolling, and it seems unrealistic or impracticable to roll it back.

I think people care about other things. And young people probably care more about the things which manifestly effect them day to day - like tuition fees, like the opportunity and quality of jobs (or lack thereof), even - the care of their parents and grandparents. Social justice matters more to young people I think. They're not always as cynical and jaded as their 'betters'.
I'd really have liked to see the Lib Dems run a completely unambiguous campaign to leave the EU but stay fully within EFTA.
I think the wishy-washy nature of a promised 2nd Ref is what has stopped them making way with the hard Remainers.

I'd really have liked to see the Lib Dems run a completely unambiguous campaign to leave the EU but stay fully within EFTA.
I think the wishy-washy nature of a promised 2nd Ref is what has stopped them making way with the hard Remainers.
Yup, also why the hell would the Lib Dems want more referenda? They have an abysmal record with them recently.

I'll have to look at his recent comments - I'm certain he said he wanted to retain single market access + freedom of movement. Could be my aging noggin playing up, mind.

Nope, he wants out of the single market.

hzL25FA.png

The words "single market access" are a smokescreen - that means a trade deal where we can trade into the single market without tariffs. But we are OUT of the single market in a Labour scenario, and the trade deal that Starmer etc would negotiate would be what industries get tariff-free access into it.

What I think Labour would ultimately want is something like CETA. But that would take a very long time to negotiate.

No freedom of movement means no membership of the single market.

Labour have got away with murder this campaign over Brexit, and they're likely not going to be punished for it.

And the Lib Dems want to remain in EFTA! We ALSO want a second referendum.

Theonik

Nope, he wants out of the single market.

hzL25FA.png

The words "single market access" are a smokescreen - that means a trade deal where we can trade into the single market without tariffs. But we are OUT of the single market in a Labour scenario, and the trade deal that Starmer etc would negotiate would be what industries get tariff-free access into it.

What I think Labour would ultimately want is something like CETA. But that would take a very long time to negotiate.

No freedom of movement means no membership of the single market.

Labour have got away with murder this campaign over Brexit, and they're likely not going to be punished for it.
Well it's kinda complicated and can be spun either way. Labour has deliberately refused to clarify that stance to allow flexibility in that scenario. Any outcome that has Brexit concluded comes with major changes in all those areas. What differs is the negotiating stance between the parties and how much they are willing to give away in either question for free market access.

Labour is much more likely to get free market access for not committing to migration caps for instance. They could reach a trade deal that continues freedom of movement that doesn't break their commitment.

No worries.

Labour = leave the single market, possibly the customs union (unclear). Negotiate a CETA-like trade deal that gives us access to trade into it. Core issues: time, who governs the trade deal.

Conservatives = "we're totally going to negotiate a trade deal, guys. Honest. We're not just prepping you for a hard Brexit. We obviously care about immigrants that don't vote for us and Northern Irish people."

---

Single market ACCESS is not the same as single market MEMBERSHIP.

Canada has access to the single market, as does any other country that the EU has a trade deal with.

Freedom of movement will end if Labour wins power. Corbyn said that on TV last night. There's no reason to believe otherwise.

The fact that this is actually up for debate demonstrates just how good Labour have been at completely obfuscating their approach to Brexit, and why so many hard Remainers are backing them.

WhatNXt

What Corbyn has said is - "free movement ends when we leave the European Union", and that they will seek "tariff free access" to the single market. Ultimately, what that means in reality, is whatever negotiators can achieve. One of the reasons journalists can't get answers to questions like "will you reduce immigration?" is because - we just don't know if they can! Center-right political consensus seems to be: it's better politics to promise you'll bring it down to the tens of thousands, at the third or fourth time of promising and failing. Actually, what Corbyn and Labour are doing are not committing themselves to dying on that hill when doing so could not only see them raked over the coals for failing to deliver, but it could also have fundamental ramifications in Brexit negotiations or on our job market and economy. Needs based migration is what a lot of people want, and it's what Labour and some other parties are now saying they will offer. I find it fairly encouraging at least to hear him say, effectively, that "no deal IS a bad deal". It would be for all concerned.

Ac30

No worries.

Labour = leave the single market, possibly the customs union (unclear). Negotiate a CETA-like trade deal that gives us access to trade into it. Core issues: time, who governs the trade deal.

Conservatives = "we're totally going to negotiate a trade deal, guys. Honest. We're not just prepping you for a hard Brexit. We obviously care about immigrants that don't vote for us and Northern Irish people."

---

Single market ACCESS is not the same as single market MEMBERSHIP.

Canada has access to the single market, as does any other country that the EU has a trade deal with.

Freedom of movement will end if Labour wins power. Corbyn said that on TV last night. There's no reason to believe otherwise.

The fact that this is actually up for debate demonstrates just how good Labour have been at completely obfuscating their approach to Brexit, and why so many hard Remainers are backing them.

UK wants its own CETA, which fucking Wallonia of all places nearly killed, and that's with Canada. Good luck :/

The extremely sad thing is that we could have reduced EU immigration using the EU's own rules. Freedom of movement does not mean uncapped and uncontrolled migration from the continent. There's rules in place to ensure that a migrant has a job or is able to live in their new country without causing too much of a burden. Britain opted out.

Everyone is being taken for a ride on immigration.

Uzzy

For me, the big difference between Labour and the Tories on Brexit is that I've confidence in Labour actually sitting down and negotiating a deal, whereas the Tories are probably just waiting for an opportunity to quit and blame the EU for it.

King_Moc

Banned
For me, the big difference between Labour and the Tories on Brexit is that I've confidence in Labour actually sitting down and negotiating a deal, whereas the Tories are probably just waiting for an opportunity to quit and blame the EU for it.

To be fair (for once) to the Tories, some of this is probably a poker face being put on for the EU. They need to think us walking away is a possibility.

Showaddy

Trezza May is too scared to do Women's Hour. Sending Justine Greening.

Jokes aside it looks like the wider voting public in finally realising what a dull, flip-flopping soundbite machine she really is. They're doing all they can to keep her out of the limelight.

Theonik

The extremely sad thing is that we could have reduced EU immigration using the EU's own rules. Freedom of movement does not mean uncapped and uncontrolled migration from the continent. There's rules in place to ensure that a migrant has a job or is able to live in their new country without causing too much of a burden. Britain opted out.

Everyone is being taken for a ride on immigration.
Of course. Now what Labour could do is negotiate free market access, with EU migration based on the EU's rules. They could sell that as an improvement over the old status quo without actually changing anything. A Christmas miracle of sorts.

Second referendum at the end of negotiations to me is probably what sours me off the LD position. They should commit to stop the whole process if that's their angle. Voting on the deal is both dangerous and useless. I'm getting Grexit omnishambles vibes.

There is little appetite for a second referendum - it's something that you get maybe 60% of Remainers going "yeah I'd be alright with that" but it's not a vote winner, and being seen to OVERTURN DEMOCRACY - voting is undemocratic, we were always at war with Eurasia - is bad for about 50% of the populace.

It makes sense to make it a campaigning point during the years of a parliament, as it's an interesting position to take and could be a good idea if the route through Brexit is as we feared, but it should have been simplified at an election to simply "we want to be in the single market and customs union, and we do really think this Brexit idea is silly."

Fortunately I don't think we've done badly enough to get seriously hammered. Willie Rennie is doing a miraculous job up in Scotland in scoring us seats against the headwind, and we'll come ahead in London. We may even manage to save Norman Lamb's job.

I've seen predictions of us being net down (from a Daily Mail writer, surprise surprise) but also one of the folks who focusses on the betting markets who revised us to 15-18.

No sign of a video on the upcoming Neil interview with Farron yet. Maybe it was just a boring ill-tempered debate, rather than one that went ham on Farron's faith.

But anyway - after this election I'm going to be doing my best inside the Lib Dems, as only a mere member with some friends scattered around, to try and take on board some lessons and present it upwards. I think Farron's got my confidence to stay on - and he is a good egg who i think will have a lot more weight and gravitas... and, crucially, experience. Him being on the sidelines during the coalition means he is inexperienced.

Faddy

Banned
There is little appetite for a second referendum - it's something that you get maybe 60% of Remainers going "yeah I'd be alright with that" but it's not a vote winner, and being seen to OVERTURN DEMOCRACY - voting is undemocratic, we were always at war with Eurasia - is bad for about 50% of the populace.

It makes sense to make it a campaigning point during the years of a parliament, as it's an interesting position to take and could be a good idea if the route through Brexit is as we feared, but it should have been simplified at an election to simply "we want to be in the single market and customs union, and we do really think this Brexit idea is silly."

The Lib Dems are far too soft on Brexit for it to be a campaigning point.

If they are going to make it a key issue they should say they would revoke article 50.
Explain how the referendum was a farce built on lies
Call the other parties out for bowing to populism opportunism

Instead we have a wibbly wobbly, let's have article 50 then vote against it.

To be fair (for once) to the Tories, some of this is probably a poker face being put on for the EU. They need to think us walking away is a possibility.

Na, I have zero faith in this possibility. The Tories have shown they will smash anything they do not get their way with. May will absolutely walk away and blame EU for it.

Uzzy

I really hope you're right and that saner voices prevail. But I've little confidence in that happening.

jelly

Na, I have zero faith in this possibility. The Tories have shown they will smash anything they do not get their way with. May will absolutely walk away and blame EU for it.

I don't think she will, banking alone doesn't work without it. She will cave and go soft brexit which is basically what was the point in leaving then. Tories are evil self serving bastards but they aren't going to nuke the UK by going hard Brexit no deal. They actually want free single market trade and expect to get it but the EU has said numerous times, that's not negotiable without the four freedoms. I don't think she has a ace, she is juggling our economy, she drops all the balls or says yes to the EU. I can't see them dropping all the balls.

Maledict

I don't think she will, banking alone doesn't work without it. She will cave and go soft brexit which is basically what was the point in leaving then. Tories are evil self serving bastards but they aren't going to nuke the UK by going hard Brexit no deal. They actually want free single market trade and expect to get it but the EU has said numerous times, that's not negotiable without the four freedoms. I don't think she has a ace, she is juggling our economy, she drops all the balls or says yes to the EU. I can't see them dropping all the balls.

I think you are sadly underestimating the blind fanatics running the Tory party. People like David Davis and Jacob Rees Moggs aren't going to back down when it comes to the crunch. These are people dreaming of Empire.

The real ideologues like David Davis are doing the talks, there won't be a deal. Cave on free movement or the ECJ to get a good trade deal and the Right wing of the Tory party will go insane. Labour party is a fundamentally pro European party within the PLP and the grassroots, they will compromise.

This election has badly compromised May and thrown the entire Brexit negotiation bus off the road.

What I want is May on the same sort of slim majority as now, going to Brussels and then wanting to leave without a deal. The Tories split over the issue, the government falls, and we get the second referendum via a GE in late 2018. My party is proven right, Corbyn's Labour either manages to unify properly or split properly, and a decent-strength centrist movement can shunt the Tories out of power once and for all.

kmag

I think you are sadly underestimating the blind fanatics running the Tory party. People like David Davis and Jacob Rees Moggs aren't going to back down when it comes to the crunch. These are people dreaming of Empire.

Saw this today

chartdavis.png

Chief negotiator folks.

Morat

Banned
One wonders how Jacob Rees-Mogg is that insane. He said he hopes that May will return as a "21st century Gloriana" or some shit.

Rees-Mogg is not of this Earth. I refuse to believe it. He is an alien impersonating a poor parody of some kind of insane 1870's Tory.

Interesting how these leaflets change around the country.

I think it's a bit odd of them to lead with the winter fuel thing - my first reaction was "Good!".

Also the bit about raising the retirement age - pretty sure every government everywhere is going to have to do that repeatedly as people start living so long they spend more time retired than working!

This election has badly compromised May and thrown the entire Brexit negotiation bus off the road.

What I want is May on the same sort of slim majority as now, going to Brussels and then wanting to leave without a deal. The Tories split over the issue, the government falls, and we get the second referendum via a GE in late 2018. My party is proven right, Corbyn's Labour either manages to unify properly or split properly, and a decent-strength centrist movement can shunt the Tories out of power once and for all.

Brenda from Bristol on suicide watch

The first thing that needs cutting is pensioner entitlements for those that are sitting on loads of money. That stuff should be means tested. Only thing I like within the Tory manifesto. Also that triple lock needs to go.

Theonik

Interesting how these leaflets change around the country.

I think it's a bit odd of them to lead with the winter fuel thing - my first reaction was "Good!".

Also the bit about raising the retirement age - pretty sure every government everywhere is going to have to do that repeatedly as people start living so long they spend more time retired than working!
You must live in a heavily pensioner occupied area.

The first thing that needs cutting is pensioner entitlements for those that are sitting on loads of money. That stuff should be means tested. Only thing I like within the Tory manifesto. Also that triple lock needs to go.
We've gone through this before but it's really not worth doing. Rich pensioners will always pay more tax than the benefits they get so worst case scenario you are reducing their tax burden slightly but means testing is expensive itself. People not entitled to benefits are also more likely to vote against them too. It also creates a bad image for the people that do.

Faddy

Banned
My info is that the only cabinet minister May has any relationship with is David Davis. So that's a cheery thought.

Does the fact she has no mates explain why she was left at the Home Office for so long? A job where shit gets piled on shit. Immigration, crime, police numbers. If she had allies she would have got a move to a cushier job like Foreign Secretary.

Or is it like Hunt at Health where moving him would be admitting he is a failure.

Brenda from Bristol on suicide watch

This is how badly May has botched this election.

A landslide would give her the ability to ignore her party no-matter what the Brexit deal is. That is what she really means by a mandate - she wants the mandate to rule as President, almost, not as a first amongst equals.

She's not really a Conservative. You can see that via how she is distant from the rest of her cabinet and how her entire campaign has been about forging the Theresa May party.

I think she and her supporters are going to get hit by a night of the long knives after this election. Either she's going to be brought to the heel of the 1922 Committee, or she is going to get axed as PM, and probably replaced by someone who is more of your typical Tory. Rudd is a good candidate for that - BoJo is a walking circus act and most of May's cabinet are either already marginalised or inept. Rudd sticks out. She a decent profile and she already scored a blinder by getting the PM to send her to a debate on her behalf. Rudd didn't fall over - that's a good sign and anyone they want to replace May has to be able to not look like an incompetent robot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom