• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmag

BBC's daily Electioncast is good, as is Pienaar's Politics. The New Statesman, Financial Times, Polling Matters, and Times Red Box podcasts are good too.

I'm not a big fan of Pienaar as an interviewer, I quite like listening to him talking about politics I just don't like him interviewing politicians.

So we've discussed what the best-but-still-plausible outcome is for leftyGAF. But here's my question - what would be the *funniest* result?

I think... if she gained 1 seat. That'd be pretty damn funny to have justified the expense of the campaign, and she'd simultaneously won and lost by their own standards.

Or lost one seat. It being that little a change is funniest, surely?

cf16901a0723fc4077ab28e1ffe647ce.jpg

Jezbollah

So we've discussed what the best-but-still-plausible outcome is for leftyGAF. But here's my question - what would be the *funniest* result?

I think... if she gained 1 seat. That'd be pretty damn funny to have justified the expense of the campaign, and she'd simultaneously won and lost by their own standards.

Nah. It'll mean the spin that she had done better than Cameron, who earned the first Tory majority while still in government since Maggie's days.

The funniest would be a 100% loss of deposits for UKIP IMO. I'd crack up if that happened.

I don't know how anyone can think that if they have ever seen May speak at all

She is just not a leader.

I asked a work colleague what she thought of May, she thought she's strong and will make sure the UK gets a good deal from Brexit. I asked why she thought so, she saw May talking on Twitter...

People are being influenced by carefully edited videos and soundbites, they probably haven't seen all the awkward shit she's been doing.

Can someone find a mainstream media site that highlights or has highlighted her awkwardness and stupid responses to simple questions?

Stuart444

I asked a work colleague what she thought of May, she thought she's strong and will make sure the UK gets a good deal from Brexit. I asked why she thought so, she saw May talking on Twitter...

People are being influenced by carefully edited videos and soundbites, they probably haven't seen all the awkward shit she's been doing.

Can someone find a mainstream media site that highlights or has highlighted her awkwardness and stupid responses to simple questions?

The quotes in this thread like the link on the previous page or two with the same answer given to to different questions not to mention the image above shows how bad she is at speaking.

She is just horrible at speaking.

Dougald

After being in the hospital for surgery this week I can say that the tories are under funding the NHS to death. The staff, bless them, are still excellent though. Don't know how they manage to put up such a chipper face for patients

Also I finally got my first election leaflet of the campaign from STRONG AND STABLE THERESA MAY, which oddly doesn't really mention slimy John redwood. Guess they got the ones which were nicked re printed in time.

The quotes in this thread like the link on the previous page or two with the same answer given to to different questions not to mention the image above shows how bad she is at speaking.

She is just horrible at speaking.

Because we've been following how bad she is at speaking.

Someone who hasn't been following events as closely will see the clip or read about it and think it's typical politician speak, refusing to answer any questions, etc.

If it was highlighted or talked about as much as the shit Abbott tends to say, it would seriously damage her, but it's not, so it won't. At least not yet.

Stuart444

Because we've been following how bad she is at speaking.

Someone who hasn't been following events as closely will see the clip or read about it and think it's typical politician speak, refusing to answer any questions, etc.

If it was highlighted or talked about as much as the shit Abbott tends to say, it would seriously damage her, but it's not, so it won't. At least not yet.

I feel like if you've followed previous people, even fucking David Cameron, you should be aware of how bad May is.

I mean even just watching the news or seeing a few interviews would be enough. Just compare them to Cameron.

But I guess it's easier to remain ignorant :/

TimmmV

Boris losing his seat would be pretty good. Or any one of Hunt/Fox/Davis/Rees-Mogg/Patel

If you'd asked that question when the election was originally called I'd have said May too, but given how useless she's being, that wouldn't be as funny now

jem0208

Hypothetically, what happens if the Tories have a majority but May loses her seat?

I know it's never going to happen, just curious what the procedure is.

Theonik

Boris losing his seat would be pretty good. Or any one of Hunt/Fox/Davis/Rees-Mogg/Patel

If you'd asked that question when the election was originally called I'd have said May too, but given how useless she's being, that wouldn't be as funny now
Idk. CON -1 with the lost seat being Maidenhead would be pretty hilarious.

E:
Hypothetically, what happens if the Tories have a majority but May loses her seat?

Constitutional crisis. Now there is nothing in the office of PM that requires the PM to be an MP, but convention has it be the leader of the biggest party in parliament because the PM needs to have the confidence of the commons to be able to form a government. In truth though the HM Government is just that, an extension of Royal power. The Queen could appoint me to be PM if she so pleased.

What will actually happen then is that CON will probably elect a new leader among themselves and have a new PM.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

They would elect a new leader who would become the Prime Minister. Hasn't happened before (majority despite seat loss of leader), though.

sasliquid

Unfortunately I doubt Boris will, it's a neighbouring constituency and it's just far enough out of London that enough people are scared of diversity

Odds on a Conservative majority are going down. Going to put a bet on them soon to ease the inevitable crushing disappointment like I did with trump

TimmmV

Idk. CON -1 with the lost seat being Maidenhead would be pretty hilarious.

Oh, I meant without the single seat loss - just any of those politicians getting Portillo'd would be funny as hell.

But yeah, your suggestion there is probably the best one so far

Unfortunately I doubt Boris will, it's a neighbouring constituency and it's just far enough out of London that enough people are scared of diversity

Odds on a Conservative majority are going down. Going to put a bet on them soon to ease the inevitable crushing disappointment like I did with trump

Yeah, its not remotely realistic unfortunately

But let me dream!!

Theonik

They would elect a new leader who would become the Prime Minister. Hasn't happened before (majority despite seat loss of leader), though.
They don't have to. But yes. The situation is unprecedented and in this case would be incredibly unlikely. Maidenhead is Tory as can be.
E: Well LD were contesting the seat quite well in the early 2000s

Beefy

Welsh Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 46% (+2)
CON: 35% (+1)
PC: 8% (-1)
LDEM: 5% (-1)
UKIP: 5% (-)

(via @YouGov)

pulsemyne

Welsh Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 46% (+2)
CON: 35% (+1)
PC: 8% (-1)
LDEM: 5% (-1)
UKIP: 5% (-)

(via @YouGov)

They must be asking a fuck load of farmers to get Cons at 35 percent in Wales. The major population areas like Swansea and Cardiff and we could well see the Tories lose swansea west. I'd love that to happen.

Cronen

They must be asking a fuck load of farmers to get Cons at 35 percent in Wales. The major population areas like Swansea and Cardiff and we could well see the Tories lose swansea west. I'd love that to happen.

Swansea West is Labour. Unless you mean Gower?

Expecting a video drop in about ten or fifteen minutes of "Tim Farron asked twenty times on (insert religious topic here)". I'm expecting Neil to be badgering, as he usually is with Lib Dems.

Who the fuck votes for Rees-Mogg?

I assume his constituency is just his wife's huge manor house, and the groundskeepers and waiting staff vote for him to keep their jobs.

Matty8787

Anybody else worried that if Labour do indeed get in, they go through with Brexit etc but they are the ones held responsible and come the next election an upswing in Tory voters puts them in power for decades?

Jezbollah

I have to say, the videos of Jess Phillips & Jacob Rees Mogg are quite fun.

Anybody else worried that if Labour do indeed get in, they go through with Brexit etc but they are the ones held responsible and come the next election an upswing in Tory voters puts them in power for decades?

I suspect this is on the minds of many Tories at the moment.

Not surprising from the economist when you consider the huge negative impact that Brexit will have on trade, jobs and overall prosperity. Institute of Fiscal Studies also delivered a pretty damning verdict re Tories and Labour recently. A choice between ‘undeliverable or unworkable’. What’s surprising from IFS’s report was the fact that it was Lib Dems, and not Labour who’s providing the best offer to reverse benefit cuts.

https://youtu.be/GGLJzBjhADM?t=955

TimmmV

I assume his constituency is just his wife's huge manor house, and the groundskeepers and waiting staff vote for him to keep their jobs.

He gets a depressing amount of complements on the internet by brexiteers/alt-right fuckwits

But yeah, hes basically a walking stereotype of everything wrong with the British class system. Watching him lose his seat would be fucking glorious

Rodelero

So the gap has closed by 7 points im assuming?

Things seem to be gaining a little speed. Lets hope this continues and it hurts the Tories even more.

On a side note I just had my first Tory Ad on YouTube, absolutely disgusting. The fact they even included reporters asking a question as an attack when if you watch the actual video Corbyn shut her down straight away and she looked foolish.

Lastly, are there any good UK based progressive podcasts around? I watch TYT, Secular Talk and The Humanist Report for US news but it just seems that the UK are far less engaged with politics from my searching on YouTube so the only ones I can find is big news channels and random people videos with less than a dozen views.

I'd recommend James O'Brien's show which can be accessed in podcast form. Bit different from most as it is a radio call in show, but they do an astounding job getting good quality calls. Has a very definite progressive slant and certainly talks politics the majority of the time. Tons of it too, three hours every week day.

Jezbollah

If somehow Labour takes Parliament, is there some way they could maneuver to have the U.K. remain in the EU?

No, essentially the UK are leaving the EU. How it leaves depends on party policy. Labour have already committed to single market access and the freedom of movement that comes with it (aka the "soft brexit").

deadduck

I just had to check he was married and it surprised me. I thought he was the type of guy that would still be breastfed by his nanny.

If somehow Labour takes Parliament, is there some way they could maneuver to have the U.K. remain in the EU?

Corbyn isn't pro-EU.

If you want single market, your best hope is a (very late) Lib Dem surge and a hung Parliament. In reality though, I think that situation would just lead to a second election - 1974-esque.

PJV3

I just had to check he was married and it surprised me. I thought he was the type of guy that would still be breastfed by his nanny.

He loves a bit of austerity for the peasants, but change the cutlery at Westminster from silver to steel and he starts blubbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom