• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazzuh

I don't think May hesitating on condemning Trump is going to play very well. I could see it getting traction because it plays in to the "Weak and Wobbly" narrative which people have been building even if people don't really care about the climate per se.

Pandy

Great SNP/Tory 'signplay' on the previous page. Well played by both sides.

In other news, the UK is on the wrong side of history, again:
Faisal Islam said:
UK Government has not signed this joint French -German-Italian European statement saying Paris Agreement "cannot be renegotiated" re Trump
DBQ-4KbXcAAMkQB.jpg:large
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/870389773067837440

Pandy

The Mail frontpage is glorious.

"Corbyn's Sly Death Tax Trap"

it's about inheritance rate dropping or something

they even managed to get Diana on there for 50 extra bonus points.

lol'ing at the 'middle classes' having over £650,000 to leave to their families and therefore be upset by this.

I guess question time are going to have to review who they pick for their audience after this:
https://twitter.com/EL4JC/status/870405393780019204
What did I just watch? Why did it take the audience so long to boo.

Jesus H. Christ!

I did realise what he was saying fairly quickly, but in fairness to the audience they start booing as soon as he mentions the EU because it's the point at which it becomes obvious that he's saying what they thought he was saying, but they couldn't quite believe.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
the irony of course being that you won't have any inheritance to pass on by voting Conservative.

too bad you got sick, now hurry up and die so we can flog your house.

Faddy

Banned
Maybe not £650k, but with house prices the way they are, a fair few are probably in the £400k+ region.

Why shouldn't the people who inherit this money pay tax on it? Perhaps it should be progressive with a much lower starting figure.

Certainly a fairer idea than the Dementia Tax.

gun_haver

i'll never understand why people who will never see money like 650,000 if they worked their entire lives and saved every penny somehow would give a shit about exactly where on the spectrum between an impossible sum and fantasy money something like inheritance tax sat.

Real Hero

I remember how my stomach dropped in 2015 at the exit poll, I think it is going to be much worse this time. All this talk about how shit may is doing and how good corbyn has been at the campaign will probably vanish on the night like it all never happened

I remember how my stomach dropped in 2015 at the exit poll, I think it is going to be much worse this time. All this talk about how shit may is doing and how good corbyn had been at the campaign will probably vanish on the night like it all never happened

Everyone should accept Labour will not win, it's more about making sure/hoping the Tories don't get a huge majority.

Why shouldn't the people who inherit this money pay tax on it? Perhaps it should be progressive with a much lower starting figure.

Certainly a fairer idea than the Dementia Tax.

We used to have a somewhat decent inheritance tax system, Tories changed it.

I agree with you though.

I guess question time are going to have to review who they pick for their audience after this:
https://twitter.com/EL4JC/status/870405393780019204
What did I just watch? Why did it take the audience so long to boo.

yknow, i can't manage to be angry at people like this because... the man is so horrendously scared. He emanates a palpable, concrete fear of the other, and it seems to completely control his mind.

I'm left wondering what the fuck led him to that point.

Real Hero

yknow, i can't manage to be angry at people like this because... the man is so horrendously scared. He emanates a palpable, concrete fear of the other, and it seems to completely control his mind.

I'm left wondering what the fuck led him to that point.
Probably having it rammed down his throat by the papers for years

Jezbollah

well he's already called her tonight and she refused to sign the EU statement instead promising to make her own any minute now.

it'll be interesting to see what she says

Given what Rudd said about the Environment last night (pretty much agreeing with Caroline Lucas) it doesn't make any sense at all that she wouldn't sign it - if it transpires she had an opportunity to sign it that is.

Hazzuh

gun_haver

It's the same every time.

The right will say absolutely anything they need to in order to persuade an uneducated public of their claim to be in power. Anything - they'll stoop to lies, they'll blame the people either unable or unlikely to speak for themselves, they'll stir up whatever division they can. They don't care about any of it, so why not, just say anything and get into power to do the important things like reduce corporation tax and cut down on social responsibility expenditure whereever they can so that they can further cut down on tax, and continue to make more money. It is a monolithic joke.

And it works most of the time, because people are uneducated and ugly. They'll take to whatever nonsense message the right sends out - oh yeah this election is about having a strong Brexit, whatever that means. They have no idea what it means, they didn't when they voted for it and they don't now and they won't when it happens either. A lot of them will continue to vote for the right regardless.

You can't deny this. You can't deny the right are still manipulative liars when Theresa May goes out and talks about how Jeremy Corbyn wants to raise taxs on working families, when in fact his tax increases would effect less than 100,000 people in the UK, because that is all who earn enough to fall into his cutoff. She says working families because a poor mum and dad who work 45 hours a week each and don't understand the voices of their neighbours won't have the inclination to look up what she means. They'll just think, without thinking, that she means them, and their hand will drift, without thinking, to put a mark for the Tories on election day.

This is what the left doesn't do. They put out more complex messages, often leavened by concessions to the right, which is regrettable, but they can't quite bring themselves to demonize people who are ultimately victims in the remorseless machine. They try to put out answers, or at least ameliorations, to the problems that are obvious to everyone. They get slammed by a corporate media, and they get ignored by a public who isn't educated enough to care. They just want someone to blame for their dissatisfactions.

The left could make the right the ones to blame, one day, because it's the truth. I hope I get to see it happen.

Given what Rudd said about the Environment last night (pretty much agreeing with Caroline Lucas) it doesn't make any sense at all that she wouldn't sign it - if it transpires she had an opportunity to sign it that is.
She didn't sign it because then we wouldn't be at the front of the queue anymore.

Just imagine the compromises that will be made when trying to agree that final US trade deal.

Audioboxer

SLY DEATH TAX TRAP!

It's like they have some fear propaganda word generator to just launch shit at a wall.

Great SNP/Tory 'signplay' on the previous page. Well played by both sides.

In other news, the UK is on the wrong side of history, again:

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/870389773067837440

Based Sturgeon is calling it out at least

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/870394719137910785

And Trump too

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/870365309236064256

obviously I would rather it be less, but that's nowhere near my nightmare scenario. I would almost be relieved if that turns out to be the total.

That map is the baseline for not terrible for any party. Lab gets over 200 seats, the LDs are up 2, SNP still have a healthy representation at Westminster.

Best case scenario - limited Labour losses, a decent return of LDs (respectable would be 16) and limited Conservative gains in Scotland.

Audioboxer

That map is the baseline for not terrible for any party. Lab gets over 200 seats, the LDs are up 2, SNP still have a healthy representation at Westminster.

Best case scenario - limited Labour losses, a decent return of LDs and limited Conservative gains in Scotland.

That's still going to make the election night painful.

I think Dugdale is pretty awful, but I'd much rather see Labour gains. If Edinburgh goes Conservative a Trident nuke area will be detected.

I think Dugdale is pretty awful, but I'd much rather see Labour gains. If Edinburgh goes Conservative a Trident nuke area will be detected.

Absolutely. Tory gains benefit nobody. I want LD gains in Scotland, but I hope the SNP holds firm vs the blue tide.

Audioboxer

Absolutely. Tory gains benefit nobody. I want LD gains in Scotland, but I hope the SNP holds firm vs the blue tide.

It's okay LD gains would be acceptable too in Scotland. Anything but Tory tbh. Which is what we're getting. I can understand due to indyref2 people want to vote for a Unionist party. But, FFS Scotland, every party except the SNP and Greens oppose indyref2.

We've always had Tory voters but to actually think we have enough current voters of Labour swapping over to Tory to get them multiple seats is a bit mental.

Just look at the local elections in Scotland and the swing from Labour to Conservative. They must be pumping some good drugs into the Irn-Bru and Buckfast. Strong and stable Buckie and Bru.

Best case scenario - limited Labour losses, a decent return of LDs (respectable would be 16) and limited Conservative gains in Scotland.

I know we go over this a lot, but what are your hopeful gains for the Lib Dems? Assuming Southport and Richmond Park are gone, that's 7. If Norman Lamb struggles (as he might in a pro-Brexit seat), that's 6 - so 10 gains on top of that.

Spaghetti

Have we seen many celebrity endorsements in this election cycle?

Have a feeling James Corden and David Beckham may be trotted out next week for
the Conservatives

Farron's tweet tonight
"If the special relationship between the PM and Trump exists, it exists for moments like this.We need to make him see sense on climate change

Sorry Tim, you, May and anyone else on the BBC debate last night could not talk Trump and others in the US to change their minds.

If you heard the entire US announcement today you should know.

mo60

Digging around on that electoral calculus website what are the chances of labour winning back copeland. Like if the tories lead shrinks to like to the mid single digits is it possible that Labour wins it back? It would be embrassing for the tories to lose that consitutency after winning it in a byelection in Feburary.

so if Labour doesn't win, but does much better than expected and picks up a bunch of seats, is Corbyn supposed to step down? And if so, should we expect a bunch of MPs running for his position positing themselves as his successor?

so if Labour doesn't win, but does much better than expected and picks up a bunch of seats, is Corbyn supposed to step down? And if so, should we expect a bunch of MPs running for his position positing themselves as his successor?

no one quite knows how corbo will react right now. If labour added to its seats however, it wouldnt be that surprising if he chose to stay in charge.

i'd say how future candidates will behave depends quite a lot on voter turnout. If these masses of young people do go out and vote, one would have to be quite goddamn stupid not to follow in his steps to some extent.

Pandy

As I've been going on to Crab about how awful Scottish Labour are, I should make clear that I agree with this. They are awful, but Dugdale does at least have her heart in the right place, which isn't something I can say about any of the Scot Tories at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom