• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshicus

Yes it is. As things stand at the moment, Brexit is very much happening in two years. A bit less even. For that not to happen you'll need an unanimous vote, and the way things are going I'm not sure it should be considered a fait accompli that you'll get that.

No votes in parliament require unanimity.

Spaghetti

The song has gone to number 1 I believe and you could hear from the beginning of their response they weren't denying it.

Yeah was clear as hell, been really shocked how anti Labour they have been, then again given the ridiculous anti SNP shite up here i should not be so shocked.

Rodelero

I don't know who that guy is but I take it from the clip that he's written an anti-Theresa May protest song. I'll take what he says with a pinch of salt.

Have the BBC issued a denial? The presenter didn't deny it. If the BBC actually denied it then sure, you could justify taking it with a pinch of salt, but right now he's a man making a plausible allegation which hasn't been denied by anyone.

Yikes.

Playing devil's advocate a bit, this might be related to impartiality... but in the context of many other examples of the BBC using kid gloves for the Conservatives, it does truly look like they've rolled over to avoid getting fucked with charter renegotiations.
While I can understand it from their perspective it shouldn't affect a guests opinion on the inspiration of the number 1 song in the country.

Just them being cowards again I bet.

The interviewer wasn't denying it therefore it's true? The interviewer probably doesn't know what the editor said to him.
If the concern is impartiality rules, and since radio shows are refusing to play it there is no way the hosts weren't briefed on what to say and what not to.

Audioboxer

To contribute to the Rees-Mogg dogpile, here's a little snippet of the man himself explaining how great it is that we have foodbanks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ0R2ZuZI_U

(Snippet courtesy of Wings Over Scotland, for those of you that would rather not give Rev Stu a click.)

It's not just that, he's got some dodgy connections with fringe groups. Traditional Britain or something like that, that literally advocate for Enoch Powell's "repatriation" policies.

Read his Wikipedia article.
It's all kinds of amazing.

Well, my knowledge of this fine man escalated quickly.

Faddy

Banned
Yeah was clear as hell, been really shocked how anti Labour they have been, then again given the ridiculous anti SNP shite up here i should not be so shocked.

BBC Scotland's stock question is "why aren't you talking about independence?"

They claim it is dominating the campaign but the reality is they are the ones pushing the agenda. There were stories coming out about how Scottish Conservatives were insulated from Theresa May's failure and the answer is simply that the news won't challenge Ruth avidson on Tory policy but instead will let her have unchallenged rants about a second referendum.

Blue Lou

Is this real?

DBU5AQXXsAABJOy.jpg

Corbyn has his detractors lining up to endorse him while Theresa May is scrambling and losing her grip on the Tory party.

Who is strong and stable now?

Theresa May will still win this election in a landslide and probably get way more seats than Cameron did, just like she wanted.

There was nothing she could do to fuck up this election and so she hasn't bothered doing anything at all, and she'll still walk it. Believing anything else is just kidding yourself.

Mr. Sam

I thought theyd go for tactical voting but Guardian have endorsed Corbyn/Labour

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ardian-view-on-our-vote-its-labour?CMP=twt_gu

Jeremy Corbyn has shown that the party might be the start of something big rather than the last gasp of something small

msl6h99.gif

Well they endorsed the Coalition last time round.

You're thinking of The Independent; The Guardian endorsed Labour:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...view-britain-needs-new-direction-needs-labour

Faddy

Banned
Theresa May will still win this election in a landslide and probably get way more seats than Cameron did, just like she wanted.

There was nothing she could do to fuck up this election and so she hasn't bothered doing anything at all, and she'll still walk it. Believing anything else is just kidding yourself.

Is it going to be a landslide?

She is damaged, her credibility is damaged, reputation damaged and she has lost the belief of the huge swathes of the British public that she can negotiate the best Brexit deal.

Go look at her approval rating. 50 percent disapprove, the same number as Corbyn.

Audioboxer

I see what you're doing my friend, the tactic I also think is best. Spread the despair in this thread as it's all that can save us from the meltdown on the 9th.

dclV53U.gif

Spaghetti

That's a surprise, considering there's been a fair bit of animosity between The Guardian and Corbyn.

Who knew a trial by fire would result in this surge?

Hazzuh

The Guardian made an infographic on newspaper endorsements in 2010 which I quite like:

Party-support-in-general--004.jpg

My favourite endorsements: the Times endorsing Labour in 1945, the Guardian endorsing the Tories in 1951 and 1955 and Blair somehow winning over the Express in 2001 (???).

Mr. Sam

The Guardian made an infographic on newspaper endorsements in 2010 which I quite like:

Party-support-in-general--004.jpg

My favourite endorsements: the Times endorsing Labour in 1945, the Guardian endorsing the Tories in 1951 and 1955 and Blair somehow winning over the Express in 2001 (???).

The Tories were in a fucking state in 2001. People thought they were dead. If only.

Number45

They are careful not to put all of their eggs in one basket though - basically, fuck the Tories:

The Guardian said:
Our desire is for a Labour government, but our priority is to stop the Conservatives. All politics is local and there are unique dynamics in Britain’s 650 constituencies. The electoral script in Scotland is now plainly different and we will consider the options there in a separate editorial. Similarly, Northern Ireland has its own narrative. There are many reasons to vote Lib Dem, not least their campaign for membership of the EU’s single market and reform of the voting system. Likewise, the Green party – and the epoch-shaping concern over the environment – should not be dismissed. Our support for Labour does not mean a “progressive alliance” of like-minded parties should be discarded. It should be embraced as an idea, but one whose time has not come. To limit the Tories by tactical voting makes sense.

Number45

Liar Liar has debuted in the UK charts at number four. No idea if it was played on the chart show or not, although I thought they always played the whole top ten?

Real Hero

I agree, it's tempting to believe otherwise but reality always wins in the end

Is it going to be a landslide?

Absolutely. Remember how close the polls said the election was going to be in 2015? And in 2015 it might actually have been, in 2017 it was never going to be.

Like most people here I would dearly love May to get beat, or embarrassed, but it's just not gonna happen. The Daily Mail is too strong and the public is too dumb.

Maledict

I'm not sure really, Maybe Lib Dems because of brexit? They seem a lot more enthusiastic about a Corbyn Labour than I ever thought they would be

Corbyn has won a *lot* of people round by running a principled, interesting campaign that above all else has been competent. For a lot of us on the left, the issue was a combination of his policies and competence - he has been DREADFUL at running the Labour Party. But he's run a good campaign, he's clearly passionate and enthusiastic and Dianne Abbot aside has appeared sane and believable as a leader.

It's partly the tories own fault - they demonised him to such an extent that Just appearing on stage without waving the communist flag is seen as a triumph. But it's also to his credit that he's done far better than a lot of us doubters thought he would do, and that's been bringing the labour vote home.

Edit: I still think May wins with an increased majority, but I really don't think it will be 100+ seats like I was expecting. If he can keep her to under a 50 seat majority, in the current climate and with this headwind against him, then Corbyn will have done well and will be absolutely rock solid safe from any leadership challenge.

Hazzuh

Faisal Islam wrote a thread on some of his elections thoughts:

1/15 started campaign visiting 10 Labour seats in Tory sights - Bury, Bolton, Wakefield, Mansfield, Gedling etc...May Brexit surge was there

2/15 ... in many my sense was that many local Labour had a month ago given up. Half Ukip vote plus Tory = loss. At least on spreadsheet.

3/15 ... but the swing to May was brittle, based on perceptions that she was a benevolent Maggie in an uncertain time, esp cf Corbyn

4/15 ..Most Leave voters not Brexiteers. The EU referendum forced them one way, for millions it is not the issue that defines them even now.

4b/15 ...eg did a documentary in Sunderland with Leave voters who loved Boris, but had no intention of abandoning Labour... no "betrayal"

5/15 overwhelming impression from month ago: these seats, some Labour since 1930s, were in play, but a lot easier said than done...

6/15 Con campaigns in new territory though, did not have ground data, voting records etc...& short campaign limit kicked in immediately

7/15 So Tories hugely reliant on a huge wave of national letters "from Theresa May" and localised ones delivered to postal voters mid May
DBVHlblUAAAkD0F.jpg

8/15 All this national campaigning and Facebook targeting of ads was built on "strong & stable" brand, downplayed party and local candidates
DBVIw2-UAAIG6mG.jpg

9/15 Other than banning rugby league, cant think of a policy more laser-guided at deterring Northern lab leavers than WFA cut & care reforms

10/15 Then Labour manifesto with elements of Lexit- eg nationalisations difficult in EU - has turned heads of some of that Leave vote

11/15 After u-turn May approval ratings gone negative at worst poss time & for Corbyn have gone from up from v. negative. big relative move.

12/15 To build an entire campaign on what were huge net positive approval ratings that then subsequently go negative, is quite something

13/15 doubling down on Brexit is not definitively the right strategy to win back voters who wavered over cuts, winter fuel allowances & care

14/15 - our teams around the country are seeing the race close in and Labour vote in many Labour strongholds under Tory attack now holding

15/15 going to be long night on Thurs -perhaps Brexit plus strategy does yield Lab seats in Yorks/NE, but Lab could make gains in cuts areas

Audioboxer

Corbyn has won a *lot* of people round by running a principled, interesting campaign that above all else has been competent. For a lot of us on the left, the issue was a combination of his policies and competence - he has been DREADFUL at running the Labour Party. But he's run a good campaign, he's clearly passionate and enthusiastic and Dianne Abbot aside has appeared sane and believable as a leader.

It's partly the tories own fault - they demonised him to such an extent that Just appearing on stage without waving the communist flag is seen as a triumph. But it's also to his credit that he's done far better than a lot of us doubters thought he would do, and that's been bringing the labour vote home.

Edit: I still think May wins with an increased majority, but I really don't think it will be 100+ seats like I was expecting. If he can keep her to under a 50 seat majority, in the current climate and with this headwind against him, then Corbyn will have done well and will be absolutely rock solid safe from any leadership challenge.

But... Comrade Corbyn?

qqZY7ys.jpg

It's Meddling May or Comrade Corbyn, voting coming to a booth near you on June the 8th http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/05/20/bleak-choice-meddling-may-comrade-corbyn/

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Please tell me the words strong and/or stable were used.
Liar Liar was released last week, it's a song which is critical of the government. Radio 1 says it has not been banned but the BBC has to follow strict guidelines before an election and people are going to vote in the general election on Thursday next week. Those guidelines mean that all political content across all BBC radio and tv stations has to make sure that the political parties are fairly represented. Liar Liar is critical of one particular party so playing the song and its lyrical content could be seen as unfair to that one party.

hrm, all this discussion of how corbs and may handled their campaigns reminds me of something from the trump vs hills thing, how one candidate was constantly selling to the electorate the opportunity to vote for something (even if that something was racism and jerbs) while the other positioned herself mostly against the other.

obv faulty comparison since hills did get more votes, but the tones are there. May is firmly running an anti-corbo campaign rn, whereas corbs just keeps on being corbs, and it resonates with folks like alistair and, one hopes, the average joe having a hard time.

hrm, all this discussion of how corbs and may handled their campaigns reminds me of something from the trump vs hills thing, how one candidate was constantly selling to the electorate the opportunity to vote for something (even if that something was racism and jerbs) while the other positioned herself mostly against the other.

obv faulty comparison since hills did get more votes, but the tones are there. May is firmly running an anti-corbo campaign rn, whereas corbs just keeps on being corbs, and it resonates with folks like alistair and, one hopes, the average joe having a hard time.
not personally living through the election myself but May being similar to Hillary has definitely crossed my mind. It sucks to compare Corbyn to Trump though lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom