• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn

not personally living through the election myself but May being similar to Hillary has definitely crossed my mind. It sucks to compare Corbyn to Trump though lol
Hillary can interact with human beings. May is the most awkward leader I've seen in my lifetime.

I thought brown was bad but jeez May takes the cake.

A leader who would rather limit her public appearances to carefully controlled environments where she can't be challenged very often by ordinary Joe Schmo. A leader who ducked from a TV debate and elected to parachute in a lieutenant whose father had only died days before. A leader who is incapable of anything other than that one same carefully rehearsed slogan. A leader who has managed to even piss off the grey vote, before coursing a somewhat humiliating U-turn that is the equivalent of a sledgehammer to her credibility. How many Ls must the central campaign team be taking when they realise that they went for an uber-presidential style of campaign centred around her of all people?

I'd hope any semi intelligent person would be able to view the coverage of the election on the BBC and reach a conclusion on if they are or are not handling the Conservatives with 'kid gloves'.

An easy test would to be gauge their coverage of a Labour blunder and a Conservative one...are both treated equally or does one receive more negative focus than the other. For example, how does the reporting of Diane Abbot's nonsensical ramblings compare to the reporting of Theresa May's nonsensical ramblings?

mo60

Theresa May made the same mistake the progressive conservative leader of Alberta made in 2015. The opposition was weak at the time and they were still leading in polls but there lead was kinda small unlike this UK election.They called an election to get a mandate for a tough budget(Brexit is the equivalent of this tough budget in the UK election) that they thought would deal with an economic downturn while the opposition was tiny. A lot of people thought the PC's could have waited a year to call an election. As the campaign went on the PC's lost momentum to some tiny center-left wing opposition party and their main conservative opposition. That tiny left wing opposition party eventually started polling at landslide territory and they ended up winning that election in a landslide. The swing towards the center-left wing opposition party was larger then the swing labour is experiencing now. Theresa May is not going to lose on June 8th but she is likely not going to win in a landslide on that day.

Jezbollah

Is it me or does anyone think they both rather like the rivalry and enjoy shouting over each other?

I think there was a jovial respect between the two - otherwise there wouldn't have been a gatecrashing, and Boris wouldnt have invited him back on camera.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, my knowledge of this fine man escalated quickly.
Oh, if you didn't know Rees-Mogg has been called "MP For the Daily Mail". For good reason.

He's an odious cunt. Remember the Tory party has people like this throughout their ranks, along with proud men's rights activists.

May once herself called the Tories the nasty party. Now after trying desperately to separate herself from them, is now flailing between hard right and the centre as she fails to convince people of her strength or stability.

I am not a Corbyn fan but he's actually doing well. Given the choice, he's getting my nod now.

I'd hope any semi intelligent person would be able to view the coverage of the election on the BBC and reach a conclusion on if they are or are not handling the Conservatives with 'kid gloves'.

An easy test would to be gauge their coverage of a Labour blunder and a Conservative one...are both treated equally or does one receive more negative focus than the other. For example, how does the reporting of Diane Abbot's nonsensical ramblings compare to the reporting of Theresa May's nonsensical ramblings?

no idea, but it would be quite odd if they were the same, no? After all, they aren't running for similar positions.

Pandy

Corbyn has won a *lot* of people round by running a principled, interesting campaign that above all else has been competent. For a lot of us on the left, the issue was a combination of his policies and competence - he has been DREADFUL at running the Labour Party. But he's run a good campaign, he's clearly passionate and enthusiastic and Dianne Abbot aside has appeared sane and believable as a leader.

It's partly the tories own fault - they demonised him to such an extent that Just appearing on stage without waving the communist flag is seen as a triumph. But it's also to his credit that he's done far better than a lot of us doubters thought he would do, and that's been bringing the labour vote home.

Edit: I still think May wins with an increased majority, but I really don't think it will be 100+ seats like I was expecting. If he can keep her to under a 50 seat majority, in the current climate and with this headwind against him, then Corbyn will have done well and will be absolutely rock solid safe from any leadership challenge.

I liked Corbyn, but I have to say that I criticised him for going along with May and voting for this election. I thought he was absolutely committing an act of political suicide that would leave us with a massive Tory majority that would make life worse for all of us.

But I was wrong. Corbyn was confident that his message would resonate with actual humans out in the real world beyond the Westminster bubble and was keen for a chance to prove it. Even if he loses, which wouldn't be a surprise given all the disadvantages he had at the start of the campaign, he's already proven that the left still have things to say that the British people want to hear.

Pandy

A little something to warm us up:
DBUztPbXcAA2147.jpg
https://twitter.com/TMayCasebooks/status/870659200636080128

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom