• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

So how accurate are the answers from parties on that isidewith site?

Cos holy shit the labour answer here:

pziR02j.jpg
Iirc those stances are from people who answered the poll who identified as Labour supporters

boxoctosis

Does this read like the Mail flirting with endorsing Le Pen to anyone else?

I think we all know which side the Mail is on, but that front page is pretty factual. For me they're treading a fine line, but on the correct side for now. Still an awful despicable 'newspaper' though.

Acorn

It's not even been a week and I'm feeling fucking miserable about this election already.
Meh we've been fucked since 2010 and I've accepted there probably won't be a govt I even agree somewhat with in the next 20-30 years.

Just trying to ignore politics and keep myself out of the reach of govt policy as much as possible.

It's not even been a week and I'm feeling fucking miserable about this election already.

I know it's going to be a less than ideal outcome so I've going to try to come terms with it.. just how bad is it going to be is the question. gotta hope the polls are less bad than they look for the centre left. I bet this is the first one for a while where they're bang on though ._.

contrast that to 2010 and 15 where I actually still had some kind of naive belief...

still will vote and campaign though!

Pandy

Eh, the French clearly rejected ther two traditional, main parties. So the headline has a point.
The 'Frexit' bit is misleading. Makes it seems like the result has triggered a referendum.

EDOT: But of course 'Frexit', like 'Brexit', means sweet fuck all, so there's no way I could argue that point successfully against someone who chose to defend it.

TimmmV

Please don't consider the Daily Mail as being the only entity speaking out for the UK.

Its not, but his point about the Mail (and the other outlets pushing Brexit). I don't remember ever seeing the right wing press have as much interest in European elections as in the last year - and will imagine that is going to continue with the German ones later this year. And its all basically been because of Brexit; the Mail/Sun/Express/etc doing so they can push their "the EU is dead" crap, and the Remain papers more in a "we hope nothing bad happens" kind of way. Although I think those papers would likely have been doing that anyway

Hazzuh

Its not, but his point about the Mail (and the other outlets pushing Brexit). I don't remember ever seeing the right wing press have as much interest in European elections as in the last year - and will imagine that is going to continue with the German ones later this year. And its all basically been because of Brexit; the Mail/Sun/Express/etc doing so they can push their "the EU is dead" crap, and the Remain papers more in a "we hope nothing bad happens" kind of way. Although I think those papers would likely have been doing that anyway

Ambrose Evans-Pritchard has been pumping out several articles a week about the imminent collapse of the EU since at least 2010. Every few months I check his recent articles and they are always the same.

Oriel

Eh, the French clearly rejected ther two traditional, main parties. So the headline has a point.

The entire lead article is hysterical bullshit. The French result showed voters there are still very much on board with the EU and Euro. Macron is a staunch centrist Europhile so the notion that there's been a revolution of some sorts and that the people are rejecting the "establishment" is quite clearly bollox. It's just the Mail once again in "Huzzah for the Brownshirts" mode.

Frexit me arse!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Let's see;
- Le Pen didn't have a "poll surge"; she performed marginally better than her previous election results and slightly worse than her recent poll results -- so I guess more accurate would be "poll underperformance"?
- Traditional parties did collapse, but the beneficiary is a guy who was a member of a traditional party and hasn't staked out any politics at odd with the traditional parties
- Unlike Brexit and Trump, where polls showed close races and the results were a surprise to many, Le Pen has been polling well for literally years and Macron has been polling well since entering the race, so it's not a surprise like Brexit and Trump, it's a different kind of surprise
- Macron is not politically inexperienced (he's been in politics for 10-11 years, about one year less than Marine Le Pen has been in national politics)
- Riots didn't erupt in Paris
- And although it's true that Macron likes the EU and Le Pen does not, the election is not broadly a referendum on the EU.

So essentially nothing in the article is accurate. Which is about par for the course for the Daily Mail. Can't wait to boost my vitality.

The Daily Mail supporting fascism? Doesn't sound like them...
”I urge all British young men and women to study closely the progress of the Nazi regime in Germany. They must not be misled by the misrepresentations of its opponents. The most spiteful detractors of the Nazis are to be found in precisely the same sections of the British public and press as are most vehement in their praises of the Soviet regime in Russia. They have started a clamorous campaign of denunciation against what they call ”Nazi atrocities" which, as anyone who visits Germany quickly discovers for himself, consists merely of a few isolated acts of violence such as are inevitable among a nation half as big again as ours, but which have been generalized, multiplied and exaggerated to give the impression that Nazi rule is a bloodthirsty tyranny."

The Mail is a 'fascist rag' as was well put by a University Challenge student recently. It is the UK version of Fox News, alongside The Sun.

So im 72% Labour / 69% Lib Dem: http://uk.isidewith.com/results/3111594167

I voted Lib Dems last election when they received their lowest performance in a long time so im hesitant to vote for them this time round feeling its a wasted vote to get rid of the Tories. Im also hesitant on voting for Labour due to Corbyn. I know I shouldn't vote for a representative over a party but every other week he says some random shit which goes against what his party wants. I'll probably end up voting Labour but I have no faith in Corbyn when it seems a lot of his party have little faith in him too.

Maledict

So im 72% Labour / 69% Lib Dem: http://uk.isidewith.com/results/3111594167

I voted Lib Dems last election when they received their lowest performance in a long time so im hesitant to vote for them this time round feeling its a wasted vote to get rid of the Tories. Im also hesitant on voting for Labour due to Corbyn. I know I shouldn't vote for a representative over a party but every other week he says some random shit which goes against what his party wants. I'll probably end up voting Labour but I have no faith in Corbyn when it seems a lot of his party have little faith in him too.

You need to look at the details for your constituency. The national numbers don't help you decide who to vote for - you need to vote based on which of the two parties in your area can win.

I.e. If you are in a constituency where it's a tory MP and the lib dems coming in second place, if you wanted to not have a tory MP you'd need to vote liberal not labour.

You need to look at the details for your constituency. The national numbers don't help you decide who to vote for - you need to vote based on which of the two parties in your area can win.

I.e. If you are in a constituency where it's a tory MP and the lib dems coming in second place, if you wanted to not have a tory MP you'd need to vote liberal not labour.

Im in the North East. Its been heavily Labour for a long time.

TimmmV

Ambrose Evans-Pritchard has been pumping out several articles a week about the imminent collapse of the EU since at least 2010. Every few months I check his recent articles and they are always the same.

It's also really annoying because it works. I've spoken to remain voters who were sad about the referendum result, but also thought it wouldn't matter much because "the EU is on its last legs anyway". They're only thinking that stuff because its pushed by so much of the British press

ittoryu

I think we all know which side the Mail is on, but that front page is pretty factual. For me they're treading a fine line, but on the correct side for now. Still an awful despicable 'newspaper' though.

Well, actually....

Let's see;
- Le Pen didn't have a "poll surge"; she performed marginally better than her previous election results and slightly worse than her recent poll results -- so I guess more accurate would be "poll underperformance"?
- Traditional parties did collapse, but the beneficiary is a guy who was a member of a traditional party and hasn't staked out any politics at odd with the traditional parties
- Unlike Brexit and Trump, where polls showed close races and the results were a surprise to many, Le Pen has been polling well for literally years and Macron has been polling well since entering the race, so it's not a surprise like Brexit and Trump, it's a different kind of surprise
- Macron is not politically inexperienced (he's been in politics for 10-11 years, about one year less than Marine Le Pen has been in national politics)
- Riots didn't erupt in Paris
- And although it's true that Macron likes the EU and Le Pen does not, the election is not broadly a referendum on the EU.

So essentially nothing in the article is accurate. Which is about par for the course for the Daily Mail. Can't wait to boost my vitality.

All the above. So yes, it is factually not correct, as usual.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Humour me here.

If the Green Party was returned with a majority and sought to form a government, who would be Prime Minister?

Both. The position of Prime Minister is barely mentioned in statute - and the references are usually only when determining what they're paid. There's almost no constitutional definition of the role - it was an emergent property of the move away from the different offices of state working effectively independently of one another to a coherent cabinet with a unified common policy that required someone to make sure everyone actually worked together. If you wanted to have two Prime Ministers, it'd just require a few minor amendments of legislation relating to pay scales.

daviyoung

Banned
If the Daily Mail states something usually the opposite is true. "enemy of the people" for example.

For the majority of people they take these statements as truth though. So if the press say he's an incompetent fool the people will also think that. Those papers aren't popular because people read them ironically.

oti

Banned
The 'Frexit' bit is misleading. Makes it seems like the result has triggered a referendum.

EDOT: But of course 'Frexit', like 'Brexit', means sweet fuck all, so there's no way I could argue that point successfully against someone who chose to defend it.

Oh, I didn't see the Frexit part. Well, let's just hope the French aren't as dumb as the British. But I'm confident, they won't make the same mistake. Hoping for a clear Macron win.

PJV3

Is this election going to warm up at all, Fallon calling Corbyn a security risk for the millionth time seems to be it for today.

I don't think even the manifestos will cause much debate, the Tory one sounds like it's going to be lots of nothing in particular, flexibility and trust us please.

Is this election going to warm up at all, Fallon calling Corbyn a security risk for the millionth time seems to be it for today.

I don't think even the manifestos will cause much debate, the Tory one sounds like it's going to be lots of nothing in particular, flexibility and trust us please.

It hinges on if the LDs surge, same as the Canadian Liberals did or En Marche did.

Both had half-dead centre-left parties and a widely expected win for conservatives.

The issue is that the left and right will be hammering Farron on his secret ultra-christian anti-gay agenda.

Oh, first story on Political Betting today: http://politicalbetting.com/

It's currently a tie between people who believe that Brexit was right or wrong.

Conan-san

That can't be right, Tory never says please. It's practically the water to their wicked witch bodies.

The Green Party jokingly asks Cameron to be their candidate as MP in Witney, a Con/LD marginal, because he implemented a long list of Lib Dem green policies.

😕

PJV3

It hinges on if the LDs surge, same as the Canadian Liberals did or En Marche did.

Both had half-dead centre-left parties and a widely expected win for conservatives.

The issue is that the left and right will be hammering Farron on his secret ultra-christian anti-gay agenda.

Oh, first story on Political Betting today: http://politicalbetting.com/

It's currently a tie between people who believe that Brexit was right or wrong.

Hopefully it happens soon then, Labour are 3 weeks away from revealing their manifesto, people might forget there is an election at this rate.

That can't be right, Tory never says please. It's practically the water to their wicked witch bodies.

True, it is their birthright to run everything in the country, every Tory MP should also get some kind of TV show related to their hobbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom