• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard from my presiding officer for tomorrow's poll. Returning officer has been on holiday for most of the campaign, sounds like it has been a complete shambles. Cardboard boxes instead of proper polling booths, very bare bones set up in terms of posters and signs.

Should be a thrilling 17~ hours. Won't be working a general election again after this. (disorganised, less pay and probably busier)

Spuck-uk

Banned
You jest, but if you're of the opinion that leaving the Single Market will be very, very bad for the economy, it's really not hard to see how "we told you so" is the route back to relevance. Labour sellotaped to bad Tory policy will bite them hard unless Brexit isn't a horrible idea.

Oh, I think it will be pretty bad*, but the odds are the Tories win and have to swallow that shit sandwich whole.

I don't think you can win an election on 'smug' though.

Interesting, from Scotland:

"Sturgeon tells Labour voters, if they help elect SNP MPs, they will agree with Jeremy Corbyn on more things than Kezia Dugdale."

Changed her fucking tune alright, now the Corbynator is up in the polls.

Dougald

I can't wait for Friday when I can stop being in the slow-motion car crash that is this election and return to the car crash that is Brexit

OFANcmk.png

Micael

I believe Corbyn has been asked the brexit EU question not so long ago in one of those televised Q&A, and his answer was something along the lines of him thinking that the EU needed serious reforms, not so much him being pro brexit itself.

Oh, I think it will be pretty bad*, but the odds are the Tories win and have to swallow that shit sandwich whole.

I don't think you can win an election on 'smug' though.

Just watch us. 😉

Nah but there's a massive advantage to be had - pretty much from next year onwards - in being on the right side of Brexit. Either the Tories and Labour are right, Brexit isn't a hilariously stupid idea and we don't endure a recession, or the Lib Dems are right and we can propose re-joining the EU to fix the mess.

Uzzy

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment. I'm ready for the pain at 22:01.

Conservative Party seats: 304
Green Party seats: 1
Labour seats: 266
Lib Dem seats: 12
Plaid Cymru seats: 2
SNP seats: 46
UKIP seats: 0
Independently held seats: 1
Seats held by other parties: 18

BONUS:
Labour wipe-out in Scotland? Nope
More Conservative votes than Labour in Scotland? Nope
More Conservative seats than Labour in Wales? Nope
The Portillo award goes to..? Amber Rudd
First resignation of the night? May
How many party leaders will resign? May, Nutall
Seat for Nuttall? Nope
Margin of victory by seats: Hung Parliament so not sure this applies.
Margin of victory by votes: See above.

My body is ready.

WhatNXt

Just heard from my presiding officer for tomorrow's poll. Returning officer has been on holiday for most of the campaign, sounds like it has been a complete shambles. Cardboard boxes instead of proper polling booths, very bare bones set up in terms of posters and signs.

Should be a thrilling 17~ hours. Won't be working a general election again after this. (disorganised, less pay and probably busier)

At first when you said cardboard boxes instead of booths I did a double take and thought you were talking about the ballot boxes. Not that cardboard walls are much better.

Wonder how many of those missing postal votes have found their way to this ballot box?

..or whether they're being magically filled in. I hear Plymouth have sent out 600+ replacement voting packs. Are there mechanisms to prevent someone who has claimed a postal vote has gone missing from casting two votes when they receive their replacement? Never worked a polling event before.. are the unique codes checked off for postal votes?

TimmmV

You jest, but if you're of the opinion that leaving the Single Market will be very, very bad for the economy, it's really not hard to see how "we told you so" is the route back to relevance. Labour sellotaped to bad Tory policy will bite them hard unless Brexit isn't a horrible idea.

No party will ever win on a platform of "we told you so" - people don't like being treated like idiots, even if they 100% objectively are

Painting the Tories and UKIP as parties that tricked the poor electorate into it (or in the case of young people - dragged them out of the EU) is a more plausible strategy really

No party will ever win on a platform of "we told you so" - people don't like being treated like idiots, even if they 100% objectively are

I'm not actually suggesting that as a campaign strategy!

The logic would be to contrast the lying Lab/Con Brexit bloc with the LDs as the choice for a strong economy back in Europe. That's a very good pitch. Definitely not one that would win a general election (you'd need a Labour split for that to happen) but it's a good pitch nonetheless.

There's a scenario where Brexit becomes May's Iraq - something that the public originally backed her in, but is bungled so badly after being such a stupid idea in the first place that it becomes the byword for her entire generation of politician's failings.

Whoa, May made a face when she mentioned Corbyn's name, such personality. Reminiscent of taking a risk, having a punt, having a go. Getting pumped up, feeling lively!

WhatNXt

Painting the Tories and UKIP as parties that tricked the poor electorate into it (or in the case of young people - dragged them out of the EU) is a more plausible strategy really

This. "Told you so" won't work because the referendum dictated the reality. The people were given two options and they picked one. The thing the Tories will get hit with (and this is whether they win or lose) is that they invited this upon us at a time of their choosing, and they may or may not be the ones who go through the negotiations and the implementation. There will be things they agree to, or fail to agree, and it's all on whoever is in power. They can even be blamed for holding this potentially inconsequential election at a time when they should have been prioritising our economy and our relations with Europe. I have zero confidence in the Tories to achieve anything good with regards to Brexit.

If they win and begin taking us down this road - it will be easy to point out that they didn't invest the 'savings' in to the NHS, that there were in fact - no savings at all, and thanks to an austerity that has already cut things so close to the bone - they will either have to make radical changes to services people love or start breaking promises on protections and taxation. Which I note they've been very cagey about making. I'm expecting lots of "brave and difficult" choices, which will of course be neither of those things.

Pandy

I've been holding back from making a prediction, as the overall numbers are a bit beyond my reckoning, but this thought has been bouncing around my head today after thinking about how little impact the Lib Dem campaign has had.

The Conservatives to win with a small majority, but mathematically it'll be due to the Lib Dem failure to reclaim enough of the seats they lost to the Tories in 2015.
ie. Their majority will be fewer than 27 minus any number the Lib Dems do manage to take back from them.

Sorry, Huw.

Ashes

Banned
Ealing Central and Acton. Labour gained from Tory in London in 2015. Just about. Must be high on Tory target seats.

A difference of 250 something or other. Will be interesting to see if they do hold this.

Just suddenly popped into my head when thinking about 2015 election.

Sorry, Huw.

Not sure why folks are making apologies, I'm only here talking up the Lib Dem side because I'm keen - I'm not stupid. This election is too hard to make a firm guess on, beyond broad swathes of "I think the Lib Dems will be up but not by a huge amount" or "I think Corbyn will do badly, but not insanely badly".

TimmmV

I'm not actually suggesting that as a campaign strategy!

Sorry - its not always easy to see whats a joke on the internet and what isn't!

The logic would be to contrast the lying Lab/Con Brexit bloc with the LDs as the choice for a strong economy back in Europe. That's a very good pitch. Definitely not one that would win a general election (you'd need a Labour split for that to happen) but it's a good pitch nonetheless.

There's a scenario where Brexit becomes May's Iraq - something that the public originally backed her in, but is bungled so badly after being such a stupid idea in the first place that it becomes the byword for her entire generation of politician's failings.

Absolutely agree on the last point, although Cameron (and maybe Boris too) will get some blame as well as May.

Hopefully in this future where the public realise Brexit is/was a mistake, Labour will be pro re-joining, and that split won't be necessary

pswii60

He also campaigned for Remain.

Like I said, it's weird.

Did you read my second line? I honestly don't think he would have campaigned for Remain had he not have been leader. I think even the "7/10" was exaggerated based on him being leader.

But yeah, weird. Only Jezza knows what's really going on in his head. Theresa on the other hand, it's just a loads of 1s and 0s (and someone accidentally pressed the repeat track button before the campaign).

Being able to say "I told you so" will cause such a swell of support for the Lib Dems in 2022 that they may get as many as 20-25 seats.

Who knows? It's five years away. Brexit is probably the biggest event in British politics in several decades. Labour will likely return to division after this election, the Tories have to deliver an impossible Brexit.

It'd be baffling if a pro-EU centrist party *didn't* do well. But again, who knows?

70% is a first class mark at university.

Come on 7/10 is a solid game.

JC was nowhere near a 7/10 on the EU, he could barely mumble his assent.

The reaction to Mass Effect Andromeda shows that 7/10=terrible in game review terms these days. With 8/10 being good, and 9/10 being excellent.

Empty

Ealing Central and Acton. Labour gained from Tory in London in 2015. Just about. Must be high on Tory target seats.

A difference of 250 something or other. Will be interesting to see if they do hold this.

Just suddenly popped into my head when thinking about 2015 election.

this is my seat

i think the tories will win it back :(

Spuck-uk

Banned
Except in most things other than videogame review scales, a 5 review is average.

I suspect Corbyn hasn't played a videogame in decades and therefore was not using videogame review scales.

If Corbyn plays a computer game it's probably Dwarf Fortress.

May plays Infinite Warfare and lagswitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom