• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

I'll be heading out this evening to register my pointless vote, unfortunately, as it is every time... but I do it anyway because it's important to me regardless.

In Harwich & Essex North, the combined vote of Labour, Liberal Democrat and the Greens would not have been enough in 2015 to beat the Conservatives.
Conservative - 24,722 votes (51.0%)
Lab + Lib Dem + Green - 15,246 votes (31.4%)

Even if all the UKIP voters (17.5%) decided to tactically vote against the Tories it still wouldn't be enough. Young people here just do not vote, sadly, and there's so many old people who don't have a clue that they're going to get completely shafted. I'm basically just hoping the UKIP vote evaporates completely even if it means the Tories get them all because I've got no time to engage with open Brexiteers.

FeelsBadMan

Two sad realisations this morning:

1. The worst Tory Election campaign in a long time and they're still going to win.
  2. If all these people that registered to vote recently were around last year Brexit probably wouldn't have happened.

RulkezX

We did a straw poll in work yesterday ( town of 80k ish , southern Scotland ) and the biggest issues amongst 70ish men were immigration , foreigners and Muslims.

Over half got UKIP in of of those "who should vote for" sites. This is a town with probably only double digit non whites in the whole region and less than a handful of them will ever have had a conversation with a Muslim.

Country is fucked , for real.

satriales

I shall be voting Labour on the way to work in a few minutes. Mine is a completely safe Tory seat (60% CON, 15% LAB, 14% UKIP) so my vote won't make any difference, but still got to try.

Ashes

Banned
I was born in Northamptonshire and things were better under Blairs Labour and everytime I've gone back, the smaller towns are in terrible need of rennovation and the working class are much worse off. It is so frustrating to see people vote against their own interestes time and time again now.

I think when you talk to people you begin to understand a little bit. Especially people who vote Tory, because last time they voted Labour, and the cuts are too much now, so they want Theresa May. In that they genuinely do not understand how government works.

Audioboxer

We did a straw poll in work yesterday ( town of 80k ish , southern Scotland ) and the biggest issues amongst 70ish men were immigration , foreigners and Muslims.

Over half got UKIP in of of those "who should vote for" sites. This is a town with probably only double digit non whites in the whole region and less than a handful of them will ever have had a conversation with a Muslim.

Country is fucked , for real.

Southern Scotland? Must be some of The Nuclear Nine's mates.

Time to readjust the border line.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I shall be voting Labour on the way to work in a few minutes. Mine is a completely safe Tory seat (60% CON, 15% LAB, 14% UKIP) so my vote won't make any difference, but still got to try.

Sounds like my constituency.

CCS

Banned
Can anyone beat this? In my constituency (Sevenoaks) only 25% of people voted for non-Tory/UKIP parties last time.

Temascos

Neo Member
I was first in my polling booth, voted Labour to keep my MP in. It's likely to be a hold in this constituency at least.

Not holding my breath for a victory, a hung Parliament would be great though. But of course our voting system is utter BS anyway. We had a chance to change it years ago but the propaganda about bullet-proof jackets meant it was doomed because our country loves kneecapping itself at every possible opportunity.

The sooner our press is free from the grips of Murdoch or any other self-serving billionarie the better.

noshten

Regarding Qriously poll here is their prediction for the US election:

OVERALL QRIOUSLY PREDICTS THAT CLINTON IS GOING TO WIN

Overall, our data strongly suggests a Clinton victory. The race will be very tight in Pennsylvania and North Carolina (and Colorado, to some extent); but simple probability implies that Clinton will most likely take the race by winning Florida and at least one of the toss-ups, even if Trump takes the rust-belt states of Ohio and Michigan (as well as Colorado).

However, Trump's narrow path to victory through Pennsylvania and North Carolina should worry Democrats; Clinton hasn't won yet, and winning both toss-ups is still a realistic possibility for Trump. Both candidates should focus their get-out-the-vote efforts on North Carolina and Pennsylvania today in order to ensure victory.

http://www.qriously.com/blog/winner-2016-us-presidential-election/

Outside of Florida voting Trump and Trump squicking PA they were pretty close to predicting the final outcome:

Florida Result: Trump 48.6 - 47.4 Clinton

Clinton comes out on top by 46.7% to 44.1%.

Pennsylvania Results: Trump 48.2 - 47.5 Clinton

We see Clinton ahead by only +0.4 - Clinton 47.4%, Trump 47.0%

Ohio Results: Trump 51.3% - 43.2% Clinton

Trump will take the state by 49.6% to 42.4% for Clinton

Michigan Results: Trump 47.3% - 47% Clinton

it's perhaps not so surprising that we see her underperforming again relative to Trump(47.3% to 44.5%) .

Audioboxer

Just think how worse this country will be the next time we are posting in a thread like this!

But more of the old people will have died by then!
and been replaced by more old people

If the youth vote is still garbage turnout in the stats later tonight there will be some real anger and rage to be carried for 5 years.

danowat

Banned
Question, everytime I have voted, the polling booths have been in a Y shaped configuration, this time they were all lined up against a wall, it this unusual?

RiggyRob

Can anyone beat this? In my constituency (Sevenoaks) only 25% of people voted for non-Tory/UKIP parties last time.

Not quite, Con+UKIP was 70% here.

Ironically enough, Labour's best chance of winning here is to take the UKIP voters back and bleed enough of the Con vote to swing it in their direction.

Whoever's won this seat has won the election in the last 4 elections running...but it's in fucking Kent, so it's not happening for Labour.

Hasney

Question, everytime I have voted, the polling booths have been in a Y shaped configuration, this time they were all lined up against a wall, it this unusual?

My new one was just one of those portable office things. If it was Y shaped, you couldn't fit anyone in.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Got both sorts here. A row of the old-fashioned square ones and a couple of those weird triangular things that aren't very private. I'm a traditionalist and went for the square ones.

Audioboxer

Sounds like those new rigged booths that change your vote to Labour #bringapen and #voteUKIP

Daffy Duck

I'll be off to vote Labour after work for the first time ever, won't make a difference here though sadly as it's a Tory stronghold.

CCS

Banned
This is your reminder that the most productive/reassuring way to spend your day is monitoring #dogsatpollingstations on Twitter :p

nekkid

Weird that they would have South Park cameos, considering the show basically promotes not voting because you are forced to choose between a "Douche" and a "Turd".

I think that was more a comment on the shitty options, rather than not voting.

But I think you're probably overthinking things, in this context.

My area, Wellingborough, has been blue since the 60s with the exception in 1997/2001 where it was red for a while. In 2015, Tories got 52% of the votes, while Labour got 19.5%. Really hoping that massive gap closes a bit this year, but the signs up in peoples windows don't give me much hope.

Nice to see some Gaffers near myself. I'm in the Corby constituency.

My whole household all voted Labour so that's four votes. I'm sure it won't end well today though, my mother is losing her mind over this election. After brexit I've stopped putting faith in the people of this country to see sense.

I'm moving to Germany in the next couple of months so at least I get to watch the meltdown from afar.

Until May insists UK nationals all have to come back to the UK.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
For the record I'm in the 9th safest Tory seat so the best I can hope for is at least some swing back to Lab but I'm expecting if anything a bigger majority as UKIP got a small but significant vote last time.
To old people: See, you don't need to vote, jobs already done.

To young people: Get out and vote or I'll call the current 18-24 generation vote abandoning idiotic cunts for the next 5 years.

nekkid

danowat

Banned

dead2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom