• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's pretty much set to fall this year, so... Lol?

Doesn't necessarily mean it'll fall every year from here on, but it's true that thinktank wonks reckon this decade (2010-2020) could end up the worst decade for real terms wage growth since 1790-1800. That sounds like a pretty low bar for success, but it could actually be missed. It's all very well talking about being one of the world's biggest economies, but if that isn't reflected in earnings, it doesn't mean much to people.

Question, everytime I have voted, the polling booths have been in a Y shaped configuration, this time they were all lined up against a wall, it this unusual?

I have a similar query - the polling booths were on a different side of the room to every time i've ever voted in the same place. Also, on the way in a man with a clipboard stopped me and asked to see my polling card (it was early so I complied) before spotting his Tory badge. This was at the doorway of the station at 7am, I was the only one there. Is this normal or legal practice? What did my polling number have to do with him?

*Splinter

Doesn't necessarily mean it'll fall every year from here on, but it's true that thinktank wonks reckon this decade (2010-2020) could end up the worst decade for real terms wage growth since 1790-1800. That sounds like a pretty low bar for success, but it could actually be missed. It's all very well talking about being one of the world's biggest economies, but if that isn't reflected in earnings, it doesn't mean much to people.
Cuts and no wage growth... I wonder where all that money is going.

Welp, time to vote for more of the fucking same

Craft

2 more for the red team this morning, not too hopeful it will change anything though as last election it was 30K Con 10K Lab.

Viremira

Got my vote in, for all the good it'll do, now to sit back and watch all the drama unfold, older generations of my family are Tory, younger are Labour so there is a war of words on facebook already.

Dougald

I have a similar query - the polling booths were on a different side of the room to every time i've ever voted in the same place. Also, on the way in a man with a clipboard stopped me and asked to see my polling card (it was early so I complied) before spotting his Tory badge. This was at the doorway of the station at 7am, I was the only one there. Is this normal or legal practice? What did my polling number have to do with him?

He's just noting down that you've voted. If you had spoken to the tories on the doorstep and indicated you'd vote for them, they'd be able to try and persuade you to vote tonight if they don't have your number checked off

They're not allowed to campaign, and you don't have to give them any information if you don't want to.

Audioboxer

Just voted. SNP FTW!

Bring on the Coalition of Chaos! :)

If Labour did well enough to prevent a Tory majority (and unleash #CoC) I wouldn't even care that much about the dumb fuck Scottish flips to Conservative. Instead, it's going to be rough with a majority and Scotland turning blue. Just despair and a long night of ribbing from ConservativeGAF.

Jibbed

Labour going in hard for the young votes.

Promoted tweet on Twitter, trending worldwide, and they've got a brilliant Snapchat geofilter.

There's the Lib Dems, surging all the way to 9% of the vote.

Voted Tory for the first time in a GE. Floated all the way from Miliband to May, mostly to register unambiguous opposition to a second independence referendum. They might manage a decent job of Brexit and end 10 years of stagnant real terms wage growth, but I doubt it (I don't have any faith Labour could either).

Conservatives have no interest in the common man in the brexit votes, we will become the next singapore or cayman island.

If Labour did well enough to prevent a Tory majority (and unleash #CoC) I wouldn't even care that much about the dumb fuck Scottish flips to Conservative. Instead, it's going to be rough with a majority and Scotland turning blue. Just despair and a long night of ribbing from ConservativeGAF.

You've mentioned this a few times and my immediate reaction is "lol who??"

According to pages and pages of 'isidewith' results I'm literally the only Conservative in this thread (although I note that a few people popping up in the last couple of pages saying they've gone blue)

Auctopus

I know this is a long shot but I'm trying to think positive.

If Labour take enough seats that Tories don't have enough to create a government, then the Tories fail to create a Coalition (by presumably being rejected by Lib Dems), does the chance to form a Coalition then get passed on to Labour?

Morat

Banned
I know this is a long shot but I'm trying to think positive.

If Labour take enough seats that Tories don't have enough to create a government, then the Tories fail to create a Coalition (by presumably being rejected by Lib Dems), does the chance to form a Coalition then get passed on to Labour?

The Tories could form a minority government. Would be very unstable, but possible.

Audioboxer

According to pages and pages of 'isidewith' results I'm literally the only Conservative in this thread (although I note that a few people popping up in the last couple of pages saying they've gone blue)

After 10pm the lads will be out! Just gotta wait till the results start coming in and get the confidence juices flowing. When Scotland starts flipping blue there will be some Simpsons HAHA.jpg too.

Don't worry Quiche, backup is on its way! If not I'll grab some random old guys off the streets and get EviLore to fast track their registration.

Chinner

Banned
I suppose the good news is that in a short term perspective, it's probably best that the Tories win so that they can totally own Brexit. At least that way when things go tits up we have the biggest chance to get a strong media narrative, assuming our media overlords give a shit.

Also in 2022 the voting landscape will have changed quite noticeably. Traditional media will be weaker, social media will be stronger.

Mr. Sam

You would forget phisheep, the man so Tory that he joined the Labour Party to vote for Jeremy Corbyn?

T-Rex.

Banned
I suppose the good news is that in a short term perspective, it's probably best that the Tories win so that they can totally own Brexit. At least that way when things go tits up we have the biggest chance to get a strong media narrative, assuming our media overlords give a shit.
You say that, but we all know if/when things go tits up it'll be the EU's fault for not giving us a good deal. I can't see the people that voted for Brexit ever admitting that they fucked up.

Also in 2022 the voting landscape will have changed quite noticeably. Traditional media will be weaker, social media will be stronger.

They won't own anything. All blame for whatever happens will be shifted to Europe for not giving is a good deal.

People are stupid.

Chinner

Banned
You say that, but we all know if/when things go tits up it'll be the EU's fault for not giving us a good deal. I can't see the people that voted for Brexit ever admitting that they fucked up.
That's why I put the word 'assuming'. It's more likely we will blame the EU, immigrants, poor and those with disabilities.

In reality, things will probably not change.

King_Moc

Banned

Theresa May's already been planting the seeds for this.

Audioboxer

Also Quiche, EleventhHourSuperpower? Gutted it appears he is banned. He would be right up for giving me a bit of banter if Robertson loses his seat. #ToryGAF is waiting poised for the results. Right now it's a hornets nest of unhappy Labour and SNP voters.

Jonnax

Voted Lib Dem. Labour has never won my constituency whist they did 3 elections ago.

Doubt they'll win since the conservatives got 60% of the vote last time.
Lot of tech jobs here so I'll be interesting to see if there will be a drop, I don't think I've met anyone pro-brexit at work. It's all "hahah, I guess we may be moving to Germany"

*Splinter

Gutted it appears he is banned.
nsr.gif

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i expect brits to decisevely elect tory's and continue to power on in their dumbshit brexit plan full steam, the UK and USA are un redeemable for the next 4 years at least

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

(ahem)

You would forget phisheep, the man so Tory that he joined the Labour Party to vote for Jeremy Corbyn?

well, at least somebody is paying attention

disco

Not voting as I'm living in Dusseldorf and registered in Westminster. It's always Blue there and so I usually swing between Green or Labour or Lib Dem. I voted Lib Dem when it was the coalition, Labour in 2015 but overall I would say Green most represent how I feel and would like the world to be.

Mr. Sam

May coming out and saying the EU was trying to sabotage the election was... well, not quite Trump levels of crazy, but it was fucking mental.

Hasney

Walked past my polling station on the way into town and no one there. 15 minutes later and I'm in town and see where those young voters are queuing... For the grand opening of Taco Bell.

Not sure why that was so surprising or depressing.

What a weirdo

Walked past my polling station on the way into town and no one there. 15 minutes later and I'm in town and see where those young voters are queuing... For the grand opening of Taco Bell.

It's taco bell then voting. Has to be in that order.

NGL I'd be pretty excited to see one in this country.

Chinner

Banned

You don't live in Leeds do you? We have a taco bell opening here today too..

SKINNER!

Banned

There's a Taco Bell in the UK now?!?! :O Game-changer mate! Fuck a cheeky Nandos!

Morning folks, my politicaly apathetic mum is showing me the fucking sun saying look they've got Jeremy Corbyn in a bin 'he's gonna open the borders' and they said trust Theresa! I explained that the Sun is biased and full of shit so hopefully she doesn't vote conservative in secret :D Now she's not stupid but I would say very naive, wouldn't think that the newspapers would lie. Fuck

liquidtmd

Banned

Truly the dankest Demolition Man timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom