• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCS

Banned
There was a proper old punch up between the cameramen outside of Tim Farron's polling station. It's on the BBC if you fancy a laugh :p

Having a discussion with a fb friend this morning... Tory voter usually, but wavering apparently.

They came out with this corker about the NHS.....

"I take your point but I don't think private health care is that expensive. People always find money to pay for sky tv and other luxuries - I am sure people would find money to pay for medical insurance."

A friend of mine was saying yesterday that there should be a system where people who are hurt by their own doing have to pay for their own care. I politely pointed out a system that benefits from classifying injuries as self inflicted would end up being predisposed to put everything it can as such.

There's been a bloody good job done of making us hate eachother for using our health service, rather than the government who can't run the goddamn thing.

Audioboxer

There was a proper old punch up between the cameramen outside of Tim Farron's polling station. It's on the BBC if you fancy a laugh :p

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-2017-40171454

P7RCk1N.png

All that attention for Tim Farron? Rigged.

Did my part and put in a vote for Labour here in Bristol South, but feels like an empty gesture as this is a relatively safe red seat and all the polls are looking like a depressingly strong choke hold by the Tories in the rural areas.

Still though, free IPA from brewdog. Every cloud and all that.

Saw this post on another forum

Votes this morning - took my three year old with me as his preschool is closed today. Polling station were really friendly and fussed over Kid's name whilst they were getting the ballot paper ready.

Had a read of the manifesto's last night and I was really underwhelmed by the conservative one, and it doesn't really benefit me or my family in the short term. Conversely I felt the labour manifesto was really strong and for the first time in my life I felt in favour of labour.

Still voted conservative though.

it's a fairly left wing place so there the off chance it could be a wind up, but fear this is going to the mindset of millions of people today. FUCK'S SAKE

Oriel

A friend of mine was saying yesterday that there should be a system where people who are hurt by their own doing have to pay for their own care. I politely pointed out a system that benefits from classifying injuries as self inflicted would end up being predisposed to put everything it can as such.

There's been a bloody good job done of making us hate eachother for using our health service, rather than the government who can't run the goddamn thing.

"So you have lung cancer from a lifetime of smoking? Tough shit, that's your own doing. Cough up the tens of thousands it'll cost you in expensive chemotherapy and radiotherapy bozo!"

Yeah, I can see that going down well with so many people.

Edit:

it's a fairly left wing place so there the off chance it could be a wind up, but fear this is going to the mindset of millions of people today. FUCK'S SAKE

Wow!

In the end too many people voted solely on Brexit meant Labour did not really have a chance. Next election there will be a price to pay for brexit will be a very different election, roll on 2020-22.

Audioboxer

lol, speaking about burning The Sun/DM, one of the blokes who went viral this morning now has "Poundland Hopkins" going after him

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/872765442070376448

I got that "Poundland Hopkins" from GAF. Seems appropriate for Julia.

Apparently, Liverpool liked the burning of The Sun!

https://twitter.com/NivenJ1/status/872765383056510976

But, Twitter, it's nothing but trash. False equivalencies to Germany/Hitler, "book burning" when it's newspapers and of course, wasting your own money on multiple copies of the rags just to get internet cred.

Theonik

Basically went from a huge smile in my face to grumpy old man in one post.

Ah yes let's all spend the afternoon debating the merits of buying up/burning newspapers we don't like and the censorship arguments

Because what a handful of people do is totally worth taking up all our time, thanks bored political Twitter. Poundshop Hopkins gonna Poundshop Hopkins

Today marks like the 7th conservative thing I've gotten in the mail.

Meanwhile I've gotten 1 labour and 0 libdem.

Where yo marketing dollars at guys?

Have you seen the difference in donations? It was something like 5x higher for the conservatives on the last figures I saw.

Corporations and the rich know what they want, and what they want is a Tory government.

Audioboxer

Ah yes let's all spend the afternoon debating the merits of buying up/burning newspapers we don't like and the censorship arguments

Because what a handful of people do is totally worth taking up all our time, thanks bored political Twitter. Poundshop Hopkins gonna Poundshop Hopkins

It's okay after the small detour I'll bring it back around to #dogsatpollingstations
ORztDm9.png
and our discussions of Five Guys/Burger King and Nandos.

*Splinter

Have you seen the difference in donations? It was something like 5x higher for the conservatives on the last figures I saw.

Corporations and the rich know what they want, and what they want is a Tory government.
Taking donations from the rich is clearly more effective than taking donations from the poor.

Wonder if that holds for taxes? :)

In the end too many people voted solely on Brexit meant Labour did not really have a chance. Next election there will be a price to pay for brexit will be a very different election, roll on 2020-22.

I don't know. I think the lack of impact of UKIP and the Lib Dems - parties that bet practically everything on the issue - shows that Brexit wasn't really much of a factor in this election. Which is weird and counter-intuitive considering it was supposed to be the sole reason why Theresa May called this election, but there you go.

Hasney

Might go get my free pint early. The boiler installers are doing my nut in and I'm just getting in the way. Only issue is that if I head down there for 5 hours, I'm going to be battered.

A good buddy of mine has done the exact same thing. My friend thinks the Labour manifesto is really admirable but he doesn't think it's realistic so he's voting Tory.

Just cast my vote, pretty safe seat for Labour so I briefly considered voting Lib Dem to make Huw happy but couldn't do it in the end.

Now I'm going to go to bed for the rest of the day and will see you all this evening as we watch our country take the next step of its journey down the shitter.

I don't know. I think the lack of impact of UKIP and the Lib Dems - parties that bet practically everything on the issue - shows that Brexit wasn't really much of a factor in this election. Which is weird and counter-intuitive considering it was supposed to be the sole reason why Theresa May called this election, but there you go.

To be honest, I think the unfortunate effect of a Brexit based vote is that it's actually more likely to encourage tactical voting around the big two.

That is to say, if you're really, really for a hard Brexit and want it done without any sort of compromise, then one is likely to vote Conservative. Meanwhile if you accept the inevitability of Brexit, but feel the current government will use it as an excuse to pass all sorts of other, unsavoury stuff, then your lot is likely to be with Labour so as to keep them out. Other considerations are possible, but are unlikely to garner results that can actually, practically redirect the way in which Brexit talks and other associated policies will go.

I mean, that's part of why I'm voting Labour despite registering as an LD party member this year - I want to mitigate Brexit somehow, and unfortunately the local LD option simply will not be able to achieve the swing necessary.

TeddyBoy

Voted this morning in a safe Labour seat, went for Lib Dems as I don't want them to be wiped out in this election and I support their Brexit stance more than Labour.

My mates are voting Labour and Lib Dems too, managed to convince one guy to go out and vote so he's planning to vote C
ommunist
Party :lol

Fair nuff on the funds, still with an area this close you'd think labour would put in more effort.

Are you in a safe tory seat?

I've had 1 tory leafleft, several labour and I'm still finding Lib Dem leaflets scattered around my house. (Cardiff Central)

50/50ish, labour barely (0.9% over) last election, predictions where with tories winning in this one, but that was before all the tory clusterfuck stuff.

...so it just hit me there were only four options on the ballot paper in my constituency this year. UKIP chose not to field a candidate.

Makes me feel unfortunately certain it'll be a Tory hold then. Because that's a little under 5k votes, while the previous gap between first and second was 6.5k. That is to say, those voters could nullify almost any swing from Tory to Labour.

I want to vote for Lib Dems, but they never came close in Harrow East and I feel voting for them is a wasted vote.

I want the Tories kicked out so bad, I'm in a dilemma on voting for Labour or stick to my guns and vote Lib Dems.

blazeuk

Just been to vote Labour, i'm in one of the safest Labour seats in the country though so it doesn't mean a whole lot. Polling station has been a little busier than last time I voted too.

I want to vote for Lib Dems, but they never came close in Harrow East and I feel voting for them is a wasted vote.

I want the Tories kicked out so bad, I'm in a dilemma on voting for Labour or stick to my guns and vote Lib Dems.
The most important thing to do is get the Tories out so vote for whoever has the best chance of doing that.

Diabelli

It must be soul destroying to live in a very safe constituency that you don't agree with. My constituency is very marginal with the tories barely winning the last two elections, so I'm hoping my vote counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom