• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougald

Went out and voted Labour. Tried to convince a coworker to go out and vote but she "didn't know enough about it". Idiot.

Hey, at least she's smart enough to know she's uninformed and stays away

Of course in an ideal world, people would do some research and vote rather than not bothering at all

MetalSlug

I fucking hate her, but she'll probably get in.

It was very close back in 2015. Just a Majority of 2,167

John Nicolson SNP

Jo Swinson LD

Amanjit Jhund Lab

Andrew Polson Con

Ross Greer Green

Wilfred A UKIP

Went out and voted Labour. Tried to convince a coworker to go out and vote but she "didn't know enough about it". Idiot.

Such an increasingly common excuse. People using it like a get out of jail free card for the most important election in years. The apathy is palpable in the UK

King_Moc

Banned
Someone on my Facebook wall that earlier was claiming the left was stupid, has just shared a post by Tommy Robinson.

You couldn't make it up.

ss1

Neo Member
Will be doing my part later today and voting SNP. However, I’m not that hopefully for Aberdeenshire West & Kincardine as the Tories having this seat as one of their main targets to capture in Scotland.

Just voted!

tumblr_inline_nm3oj9REGz1rtyrv3.gif

Mr. Sam

I mean, guys, people genuinely might not know much about it and not feel qualified to make a vote. It'd be nice if they tried to be better informed but I don't feel like we need to crucify them for it.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm not from the UK but I've been following the election from a distance.

I'm assuming based on the posts I've seen here there are little to no Tory voters here (or Tory voters won't admit to it).

I voted Labour but would have possibly voted Conservative if May wasn't leader.
That women is completely incompetent but I consider myself centre right usually.

I don't agree with half of what Corbyn stands for but I still couldn't bring myself to vote for May.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yeah, it's frustrating when you can actually see the numbers.

DBxwtuKW0AATuvK.jpg:large

What if you can't get that £19 billion just because you said you could? What if the sinkhole of Brexit swallows up any gain and you're left at zero? Renationalising fucking everything doesn't seem to be part of that bank book either unless its under that nebulous "other costs".

This is the problem with Corbyn and the manifesto. It's all fantasy land bollocks and tomorrow it all comes crashing down. It's the lefts choice if it wants to double down for another decade or two before getting smart and political again.

PS: If you said Blairite in the last decade, this is on you. Savour the taste of ash.

DJKhaled

Man, being from Australia seeing these posts in the American, Canadian and British election threads about strategic voting really makes me happy about proportional voting. FPTP is so stupid.

Khoryos

That women is completely incompetent but I consider myself centre right usually.

I don't agree with half of what Corbyn stands for but I still couldn't bring myself to vote for May.

I'm actually really curious - what does Corbyn stand for that you don't agree with?

DJKhaled

What if you can't get that £19 billion just because you said you could? What if the sinkhole of Brexit swallows up any gain and you're left at zero? Renationalising fucking everything doesn't seem to be part of that bank book either unless its under that nebulous "other costs".

This is the problem with Corbyn and the manifesto. It's all fantasy land bollocks and tomorrow it all comes crashing down. It's the lefts choice if it wants to double down for another decade or two before getting smart and political again.

PS: If you said Blairite in the last decade, this is on you. Savour the taste of ash.

Yikes

kmag

It was very close back in 2015. Just a Majority of 2,167

John Nicolson SNP

Jo Swinson LD

Amanjit Jhund Lab

Andrew Polson Con

Ross Greer Green

Wilfred A UKIP

NIcolson would have a chance all things being equal, but from everything I've heard he's a fucking woeful constituency MP who is barely seen or heard by his constituents.

llehuty

Ahhhhh, this Jim'll Paint it.

"Please can you paint Fox McCloud from Starfox in his Arwing fighter, Miles "Tails" Prower in his biplane, and the cyborg Ninja Grey Fox from Metal Gear Solid chasing down Theresa May whilst Brian May and some badgers cheer them on? #keeptheban"

Cheers, Andy Welch

LMAO

Zakalwe

Banned

Genuinely curious which of Corbyn's ideals/policies you don't agree with.

Plasma

Banned
Did my postal vote for Labour awhile ago, it's going to mean bugger all because there's no chance the Tories won't win here because the people in my town are idiots.

Today is depressing. I'm going to vote Labour, but I live in a safe seat area so my vote doesn't really matter. I wish we could have a proportional representation system.

I think we will see irreversible changes to UK as a whole over the next decade.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
It must be soul destroying to live in a very safe constituency that you don't agree with. My constituency is very marginal with the tories barely winning the last two elections, so I'm hoping my vote counts.

Good luck to you. Even if there were a record breaking swing, and all the other parties (including UKIP and the mad Christian woman who stood last time) joined together, it wouldn't be enough to get my constituency out of the grubby little hands of Michael Gove.

And that's not going to stop me voting, and actually helps me to vote for the candidate I support, rather than having to worry about tactical voting. Elsewhere I'd be voting tactically in an instant.

Man, being from Australia seeing these posts in the American, Canadian and British election threads about strategic voting really makes me happy about proportional voting. FPTP is so stupid.

Instant-Runoff Voting doesn't count, and you know it. Come back when you're onto Mixed Member Proportional or Single Transferrable Vote (in the house that actually matters).

Just relaxing the day away as I prepare to cover the election tonight (journalist here). I'm off to Gainsborough where a Conservative victory is almost assured.

Sir Edward Leigh had a majority of 15,000 in 2015 and has been the MP for the area for more than 30 years.

It's going to be a late one... but at least I get today and tomorrow off. :)

Zakalwe

Banned
My area is probably going to be Labour, so at that's something.

I told myself I'd stand for democracy first and allow people to express their views without judgement on social media. But I read far too many "Jezza is a filthy commy" "Abbot is a bitch fuck her in the pussy" type posts that I had to have a strong cull.

Three people I attempted intelligent and polite discourse with just posted memes and headlines as their main points for voting Blue.

Don't want an echo chamber, but I can't be friends with people knowing this is what they're capable of.

I feel very detached from our country as a whole right now even if there's plenty of us willing to work for everyone and not just their own interests. Pretty heartbreaking really.

Given the loss of Scotland to the SNP, I wonder if Labour will actually look at running with a Pro-PR pledge in future elections?

Those 50+ seats are going to be hard to get back and represent a severe, and if Labour are stacking the votes in ubran/metro areas PR may be the best way they have of being able to form a Govt or indeed claim a majority of seats.

/WishfulThinking

Hasney

Just relaxing the day away as I prepare to cover the election tonight (journalist here). I'm off to Gainsborough where a Conservative victory is almost assured.

Sir Edward Leigh had a majority of 15,000 in 2015 and has been the MP for the area for more than 30 years.

It's going to be a late one... but at least I get today and tomorrow off. :)

Fun times. Good luck! The closest to "journalism" I do is posting news stories on a wrestling website, but at least I got to post that Wrestlemania Corbyn V May promo and tell people to go vote.

Meadows

Banned
Given the loss of Scotland to the SNP, I wonder if Labour will actually look at running with a Pro-PR pledge in future elections?

Those 50+ seats are going to be hard to get back and represent a severe, and if Labour are stacking the votes in ubran/metro areas PR may be the best way they have of being able to form a Govt or indeed claim a majority of seats.

/WishfulThinking

Any major party that advocates PR gets my vote. I don't care if they're Conservative or Labour.

TeddyBoy

/WishfulThinking

I've read that Labour did have electoral reform as part of their draft 2020 manifesto but took it out of their actual 2017 election manifesto.

Crab will probably have more information on this.

*Splinter

Any major party that advocates PR gets my vote. I don't care if they're Conservative or Labour.
This is the one thing I would vote Tory for. It'll never happen though.

I think Labour would actually benefit from it, but they'd rather have absolute power some of the time than some of the power most of the time.

Zoibie

Looking forward to voting in Copeland later. I'm not expecting too much of a change compared to the by-election at the start of the year but I think I've convinced a few more people to get out and vote this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom