• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mid83

I'm not from the UK but I've been following the election from a distance.

I'm assuming based on the posts I've seen here there are little to no Tory voters here (or Tory voters won't admit to it).

SHEF

Yeah, it's frustrating when you can actually see the numbers.

DBxwtuKW0AATuvK.jpg:large

The mistake was setting only £3.9Bn for uncertainty and the IFS setting it at £11.5Bn. The difference between Labour saying £48.6Bn and the IFS saying £41Bn was then it could be widely reported everywhere that the figures don't add up and they would ultimately add to the national debt with their money tree.

But the IFS also said that if you have all of Labour's day to day spending increases and if you also spent an extra £25Bn a year on infrastructure then Labour would only actually need to raise £30Bn a year with tax rises for the national debt to still fall over the parliament.

The IFS also showed that if Labour only brings in £41Bn a year, they would still move into surplus on their revenue spending in their third year and have £21Bn to spare at the end of their term in 2022. But to most people it is still a Christmas wish list that would bankrupt the country and the Treasury saying May’s No Deal with the EU would cost us £45Bn is just scaremongering.

I'm assuming based on the posts I've seen here there are little to no Tory voters here (or Tory voters won't admit to it).

GAF is largely left wing in general, so getting a lot of labour and/or LD voters makes sense. We fucking cheered when the French voted in Macron because we're frustrated with what our own country is up to atm.

sasliquid

I want to vote for Lib Dems, but they never came close in Harrow East and I feel voting for them is a wasted vote.

I want the Tories kicked out so bad, I'm in a dilemma on voting for Labour or stick to my guns and vote Lib Dems.

Vote labour my fellow harrowvian, it may be quite close there and Corbyn was there yesterday, Plus Navin Shah seems decent. Lib Dems have no chance I'm afraid.

Similar choice here in Harrow West, it'll either be Labour or Tory and that's an easy choice for me

I want to vote for Lib Dems, but they never came close in Harrow East and I feel voting for them is a wasted vote.

I want the Tories kicked out so bad, I'm in a dilemma on voting for Labour or stick to my guns and vote Lib Dems.

You've already outlined what you want: get the Tories out. You've also already stated that you're vote could be a wasted one if you go for the LDs. I say vote tactically. Or at least, go and vote for whoever now at least. I still haven't stopped pushing my brother-in-law after he wasted the whole day wracking his brain around who he agrees with the most in 2015, to the point he missed the polls.

Condom

Yeah, it's frustrating when you can actually see the numbers.

DBxwtuKW0AATuvK.jpg:large
From my experience it doesn't matter if you have the numbers if you're from the left.

My Dutch leftist party calculates their budget through a government institution just like the conservative parties but I still hear coworkers ask me where the financial backing is
People today are convinced that even regular social democracy is too good to be true.

mytisbrewin

Neo Member
A good buddy of mine has done the exact same thing. My friend thinks the Labour manifesto is really admirable but he doesn't think it's realistic so he's voting Tory.

I don't understand this line of thinking. I am not sure if the they can do the things I want them to do, even though they will try, so I will vote for the ones who I know aren't going to, because they aren't even going to try.

Addnan

Vote Labour, but Harrow East seems pretty safely Tories unless some crazy swing happens. Which can only happen if people vote!

Oh, btw Huw, what's the LD ground game in Torbay been like, if you'd know?

Based on the previous election results there, I convinced him to vote LD. However he's kinda cynical about things due to betting on a losing horse with the last two votes he's cast (young, autistic voter - not a great combo for risk). So wanting some assurance he may actually see a favourable result tonight.

The most important thing to do is get the Tories out so vote for whoever has the best chance of doing that.

Yeah that's the most important thing.

Labour then if they are second

Labour had gotten Harrow East until Cameron came along. It's hard to tell who Harrow East are voting for because of there are no posters, flags, signs or anything here. Like in Watford 10 minutes from where I live, I saw lots and lots of Lib Dem signs.

Vote labour my fellow harrowvian, it may be quite close there and Corbyn was there yesterday, Plus Navin Shah seems decent. Lib Dems have no chance I'm afraid.

Similar choice here in Harrow West, it'll either be Labour or Tory and that's an easy choice for me

Yeah I was in Belmont Circle to see Corbyn. I've already seen May (as she visited my church near Brent Cross) and I wanted to call her out on her BS, but again I was in church.

I don't really like Corbyn to be fair, and what Labour are proposing is a headscratcher, but I can't stand the Tories.

After work, guess I'm voting Labour. Sorry I failed you Tim Farron. :(

"So you have lung cancer from a lifetime of smoking? Tough shit, that's your own doing. Cough up the tens of thousands it'll cost you in expensive chemotherapy and radiotherapy bozo!"

Yeah, I can see that going down well with so many people

We could finally get a UK-based Breaking Bad though

I'd wager that as this is a left leaning forum, you are going to have more anti-Tory voices.

Also, age plays a factor into that as support for Labour or anyone else is higher amongst the young.

I don't think our politics is that divided that we'd shut out any conservative voters though!

hodgy100

I'd wager that as this is a left leaning forum, you are going to have more anti-Tory voices.

Also, age plays a factor into that as support for Labour or anyone else is higher amongst the young.

I don't think our politics is that divided that we'd shut out any conservative voters though!

We have some conservative posters. People are still semi hostile towards them but it appears to be much more chummy than in US political threads.

The difference is that while I personally think the conservatives care bad for the country, at least the party is fairly socially progressive.

Torbay should be a good second place, but if it's likely to cause stress I'd avoid over-encouraging an Autistic voter.

Fair enough. I suspect it'd be less stress and more a frustrated sigh before he tells me he was right all along.

It's actually kinda funny since we're both autistic, yet have kinda wound up on the opposite foot from each other for this election. He was nominally behind Labour until I broke down his area's results, and he took a look at the LD manifesto (their policies on digital media apparently proved quite encouraging for him), while I joined the LD party this year but am voting Labour because of my own area's demographics.

Plum

Just looked into it and it seems I'm in a very safe Tory seat. Second time voting and it'll be the second time that vote doesn't count for shit! At least I get the "I told you so" factor in the next 5 years.

hodgy100

I'm blaming this thread for me just trying out five guys.

£15 for burger and chips, FFS.

and its not even that good Goodlife! Not for £15 atleast! you can get something from twisted burger. you can have a meal at smoke BBQ in sheffield for that!

smoke-barbecue.jpg

I know id rather that!

*Splinter

Woman in my office is wearing a small (but loud!) bell on her bracelet. She does this about once a week.

...on a totally unrelated note, are any parties planning to bring back the death penalty?

MetalSlug

I'll be voting just after 4PM and like 2015, my vote will be for the SNP.

I really do hope that the Lib Dem candidate for my area, Jo Swinson, does not get elected.

Goodlife

and its not even that good Goodlife! Not for £15 atleast! you can get something from twisted burger. you can have a meal at smoke BBQ in sheffield for that!

smoke-barbecue.jpg

I know id rather that!

That looks good.

I'm working in Birmingham at the moment, so if anyone has any decent lunchtime suggestions, please shout up

milanbaros

Member?
It's a great burger and chips, though. Did you get Cajun?

It's like a dressed up McDonald's burger tier. They even boast that all their burgers are well done like that's something to be proud of and shows absolutely no confidence in the quality of their meat.

faridmon

I have seen one or two posts that said that they voted for Conservatives, but yeah the majority is labour in this forum.

Its not surprising considering we have few old people who just love hoarding cash here on Neogaf... or xenophobic assholes

Demography just fits a lot better in these threads. People are are more educated, well-informed, younger all tend to lean further to the left.

There are and have been Tory voters in these threads and it's not like they dogpiled or called pieces of shit or anything, though they'd probably feel like they would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom