• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is true then May has got to be done as leader of the Conservatives right?

I think it would be the end of her political career outright. She would not only have weakened the party's position, but she would come off as an incapable tactician who bet wrongly - just like the man in office before her.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So who's going to take over from May?

Also. Get fucked SNP. That's a clear no vote for indyref2.

Coffinhal

Just read that exit polls minored by 14 seats the Conservative's score in 2015
But were accurate in 2010, gave 11 more seats than what they actually had in 2005 and 2001.

Audioboxer

THESE EMOTIONS!

I'm super happy for the hope the UK has. I'm at a loss worrying that Scotland has just given the Scottish Tories a mental recovery.

Zaph

EfpWsiy.gif

Amazing.

It does mean that I am, yet again, fucked on the exchange rate for summer. I went to Japan last year 2 weeks after brexit (lol), it's just gone back up to a respectable level and now it will plummet again a few weeks before I go back again.

Clownish

The people's flag is deepest red,
It shrouded oft our martyred dead
And ere their limbs grew stiff and cold,
Their hearts' blood dyed its every fold.

So raise the scarlet standard high,
Beneath its shade we'll live and die,
Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
We'll keep the red flag flying here

Still the GOAT political anthem.

Hyams

The only way to get to 326 seats is through a Tory/LD coalition.

I know Farron said no coalition with Corbyn or May, but I imagine May won't be Tory leader for much longer.

Question is, does Farron have the guts/is he stupid enough to go for a coalition?

Ac30

So, for Labor to govern, they would need LD, SNP, Green and independent support. Fuck me.

At least it's a hung parliament

At worst, that 15-seat margin would still deliver her a majority, if she actually had her seat count underestimated. Gonna be fun to wake up tomorrow!

So it'd take the poll being a chunk wrong to only get us back to where we started with. Blimey.

And to think we were originally bracing for a 1983-redux.

This is just indescribably staggering.

This would be the ultimate indictment of Theresa Maybot's disastrous presidential campaign.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
might take advantage of the falling pound and cash in the euros that have been sitting on my side for the last two months

Chinner

Banned
Even if the exit poll is out 10-20 seats and the Tories do get a majority, this would be simply embarrassing as it was a huge waste of time and would be transparently political opportunism.

PowderedToast

The Guardian:

Can you trust exit polls?

The short answer is, yes and no.

Broadcasters have been using exit polls since at last 1974 and it is true that in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s there were were some horrific misses. Here are the figures, showing how far the gap was between the predicted majority of the winning part and the actual majority.

October 1974

ITN: Wrong by 12

BBC: Wrong by 132

ITN: Wrong by 20

BBC: Wrong by 29

ITN: Wrong by 28

BBC: Wrong by 2

ITN: Wrong by 34

BBC: Wrong by 76

ITN: Wrong by 62

BBC: Wrong by 70

ITN: Wrong by 20

BBC: Wrong by 6

But in the last decade and a half the exit polls have become much more accurate.

Here are the figures for 2001.

ITN: Wrong by 8

BBC: Wrong by 10

From 2005 onwards there has been a joint exit poll, firstly commissioned for ITN and the BBC, and then, from 2010 onwards, for Sky too. Its record has been much better.

Wrong by 0. It predicted a Labour majority of 66, which Labour got.

Wrong by 0. It said the Tories would be 19 short of a majority, and they were.

Wrong by 22. It said the Tories would be 10 seats short of a majority, but they got a majority of 12.

This chart, posted on Twitter by the Spectator’s Fraser Nelson, makes the same point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom