• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Voted this morning, will be interesting to see if local election turnout spikes from last years parliament figures (55.6 fucking %, shocking and disappointing). As always people that don't give a shit for the GE's seem to give less of a shit for the LE (or anything local).

Will be even more interesting to see how the Conservatives do in the North compared to last time.

FFCMJYH.png

Go_Ly_Dow

Watching some news reports in which they ask the public why they will or will not be voting for a particular party or candidate.....

It's all fucked. There is no hope.

ss1

Neo Member
Will be voting SNP today in the local elections. I’m hoping the Tories won’t make any major gains in Aberdeenshire.

The Guardian gets so much shit thrown at it for being metropolitan loony lefty out of touch elites bla bla bla. But at least they let John Harris loose every vote.

Audioboxer

Scotland is going to turn every vote into "independence or not" from here till there is another indyref lol. Although the Tories are framing it as outright block a second vote, not sure, have one, and vote NO.

u5leW2l.png

https://twitter.com/ScotTories

I suspect when they gain some seats in the GE that will morph into "The Scottish people have spoken and meant it, no interest whatsoever in a second indyref". I also like how repeating "your priorities" over and over will probably begin to make people think "yeah that is my priority!". Instead of it being the Tories priority.

Mr. Sam

Voted! Woo hoo. 1st vote Labour, 2nd Conservative.

Bet they didn't think anyone would do that haha!

Assuming Burnham won't be knocked out in the first round, which would really be a surprise, it doesn't particularly matter who your second preference is.

Meadows

Banned
Assuming Burnham won't be knocked out in the first round, which would really be a surprise, it doesn't particularly matter who your second preference is.

Yeah, but with any voting I completely remove any tactics out of it and just vote for who I like the most given their policies and ability to get things done. For me the best candidate was Burnham and the 2nd was Antsee, so I put them in that order.

Audioboxer

Voted! Woo hoo. 1st vote Labour, 2nd Conservative.

Bet they didn't think anyone would do that haha!

At least you're out and voting. I'd rather see people voting Conservative and taking part than people who can vote (and don't have any genuine reasons for missing) sitting on their arses and doing nothing. Turnouts in this country need to be improved. We're not as bad as America but it's still disappointing when it's in 50s/60s.

I went SNP 1/2, and then Labour/Independent 3/4. I had to number 4 from my choices.

Supposed to be yeah, am currently suffering from a cold/flu and trying to muster up the energy to actually go :(

Will probably vote Green, Burnham's pandering to the ukip vote with his pieces about immigration after Brexit referendum makes it really hard to consider going for him

CxgzacQ.gif

Man flu is not a genuine reason ;)

TimmmV

Anyone else voting in Manchester today? I'll be going for Burnham, but Antsee the Conservative looks like a good candidate too.

Supposed to be yeah, am currently suffering from a cold/flu and trying to muster up the energy to actually go :(

Will probably vote Green, Burnham's pandering to the ukip vote with his pieces about immigration after Brexit referendum makes it really hard to consider going for him

jelly

Voted in the council election, had to google who was actually in power here, had no idea. It was a Labour/Tory minority. Didn't vote for either of them as some local issues like shit tier expensive cycle path for no good reason replacing an old one and even cyclists hate it, like myself when the old one was fine. Few other things like selling off old public buildings and generally being wasteful. Didn't really think of this as a nod to general election, they've had a chance so voted for SNP, Lib Dems and Greens as first etc.

Goodlife

Am a Labour member and a Corbyn fan (yes, I know) but will be voting for our local Plaid councilor later.
She's very very good at sorting out any local issues and sorting them out quickly.
That's all I really want in a local councilor, to be honest

There's a chance my Glasgow ward goes Lab/SNP/Tory (from 2 LAB, 1 SNP). Should be a decently close 3-way fight for 3rd place anyway. I voted for the Tory with a second preference for the SNP's #2.

Am a Labour member and a Corbyn fan (yes, I know) but will be voting for our local Plaid councilor later.
She's very very good at sorting out any local issues and sorting them out quickly.
That's all I really want in a local councilor, to be honest

Corbyn supporters in a nutshell. No interest at all in the Labour party as a party of government.

I'm pretty set on Lib Dem, then Labour for Liverpool regional mayor. Disappointed by Rotheram having a parlimentary seat ready to be parachuted into incase today goes tits up (Burnham hasn't done this). Policy wise, they're very similar, aside from Cashman offering a bit more of a push for a London style regional assembly, and promises to lobby hard on Brexit/post EU issues.

Other than that, both are on extremely similar policy/committment grounds, especially in regards to housing, the economy, employment, the environment etc, so I'm content with either. Though it will be Rotheram who gets it.

Meadows

Banned
At least you're out and voting. I'd rather see people voting Conservative and taking part than people who can vote (and don't have any genuine reasons for missing) sitting on their arses and doing nothing. Turnouts in this country need to be improved. We're not as bad as America but it's still disappointing when it's in 50s/60s

I wouldn't normally vote Conservative, but this is "Manchester Conservative" so to speak, meaning he's actually just a centrist.

It's like in the US when in governor races somewhere like California voted for Arnie, who was running on a Rep. ticket, but nationally would be considered probably nearer the centre.

Sean Antsee (the con candidate) is well known in Manchester as he runs Trafford Council, which is quite well managed. He's also quite young (29 I think) and took over the running of the council at aged 26. He's a real go-getter type and I think he'll do well in the future. He's everything the Conservative future should look like, he's gay for one, so there's no weird LGBT rights stuff that he'd be against, he's charismatic and he has a good track record.

Well worthy of a 2nd vote, but perhaps not quite the name that Burnham is.

Carl Cashman is a good egg. He's only 25 too - he's got a long career ahead of him.

Yeah, I'm pretty impressed from what I've seen. It's also refreshing to have a younger individual getting so directly involved in politics.

Watching the Sunday politics show: the UKIP candidate is like the party has found someone off the street to stand in the election.

Acorn

Scotland is going to turn every vote into "independence or not" from here till there is another indyref lol. Although the Tories are framing it as outright block a second vote, not sure, have one, and vote NO.

u5leW2l.png

https://twitter.com/ScotTories

I suspect when they gain some seats in the GE that will morph into "The Scottish people have spoken and meant it, no interest whatsoever in a second indyref". I also like how repeating "your priorities" over and over will probably begin to make people think "yeah that is my priority!". Instead of it being the Tories priority.
The Tories will take winning one more seat in some posh place as grounds to block anything and everything. "Scotland loves us now, we have almost double figures. Historic victory, time to get a photo op in a hovercraft to celebrate!"

I tell you what I am enjoying: Purdah. It's quite nice to have a day light on political news for a bit.

It is quite nice. It can all get a bit much sometimes.

I've still not voted, but today's been a really topsy turvy day at work. Good news, bad news, good news, bad news... I'm exhausted! I wonder to what extent people's moods effect which way they vote.

Acorn

Let's pray for a freak June 8 snowstorm, the old don't like the cold up 'em.
They'd still get out somehow. "Must get triple lock arghhhh, must get triple lock arghhhh, lazy youngsters I had a House by the age of 12 for 8 shillings"

PJV3

They'd still get out somehow. "Must get triple lock arghhhh, must get triple lock arghhhh, lazy youngsters I had a House by the age of 12 for 8 shillings"

Lol, you're getting old, that was far too authentic, you even dropped in proper money.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Let's pray for a freak June 8 snowstorm, the old don't like the cold up 'em.

Be careful what you pray for. It's the old that would wrap up warm and brave the storms, while the young would look out the window and say "nah, can't be bothered".

Meadows

Banned
Be careful what you pray for. It's the old that would wrap up warm and brave the storms, while the young would look out the window and say "nah, can't be bothered".

Out of the window of a house we could never afford because of the baby boomers' financial policies.

PJV3

It's pretty bad when I can't even win an election in a fantasy setting of my own creation.

Audioboxer

True. Far more likely for high 65+ voter turnout today, and in the GE, than for young voters to lead the way.

Which is why "I cba voting" really rustles my jimmies. It all adds up. I'd rather see people politically turned on and voting straight up Conservative through and through than staying at home. Anyone turned on can be debated with, trying to debate with someone who doesn't give any shits is far harder.

If you want to live in a country politics is the only way your little voice can have a say. Or at least, if you don't vote and then bitch and moan you'll have very little sympathy thrown your way. If you don't complain and don't vote, you're still pissing on something you should have a bit more respect for*.

*As always genuine reasons for not being able to get out and vote aside. Still, consider postal votes if you find yourself in complicated situations year on year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom