• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

It's quite a thing to be a leader who's every action appears to run contrary to your beliefs. "Respecting the will of the people" is quite a potent drug in helping you suppress your principles, it seems.

It's still strange to see someone go from being cautious and measured to burning bridges. It's pretty obvious she had her mind set on a hard brexit from the off, the consultation was just playing for time.

PJV3

Not enforceable. Nobody should or will pay for programmes they had little input and will no longer benefit in, for several years down the line, up front.

The bill won't be that large.

I think it's going to depend what commitment has been made, I don't see the point of guessing a figure.

Xando

I think it's going to depend what commitment has been made, I don't see the point of guessing a figure.

Pretty much. Everything we have now is guesswork since we won't even know if britain will leave in 2019 or in 2022(transitional deal).

I've actually not seen that video before. She seems like a completely different person.
One might think this election was always planned. The way she's been acting since day one, it was all to prepare for an election IMO

Get the election out the way and then just watch her soften up about Brexit knowing she's got 5 years.

satriales

I don't think free prescriptions are a sign of a caring society at all. I think free prescriptions for all is a giant middle class bribe. It has absolutely zero impact on health outcomes and takes a huge chunk of money out of the NHS budgets and gives it to middle class people like myself who don't need it.

Prescriptions should be benefits passported - if you are in receipt of housing benefit, council tax benefit, job seekers allowance or a student then you don't pay. Otherwise you do.
I agree, I don't think there's anything wrong with the current prescriptions system.
If you are on JSA, student or benefits then I believe it is already free, otherwise it never costs more than £10.40/month for unlimited prescriptions with a PPC.

SugarDave

When are the manifestos due to be released? This will be my first election after gaining more of an interest in politics and realising I should be more switched on to it. Tories can get fucked but I'm undecided between Labour and the Lib Dems, keen to read the policies for all of them regardless.

Acorn

When are the manifestos due to be released? This will be my first election after gaining more of an interest in politics and realising I should be more switched on to it. Tories can get fucked but I'm undecided between Labour and the Lib Dems, keen to read the policies for all of them regardless.
Towards the end of the week into next week iirc.

PJV3

15th for the labour one I think.

Macron is the new President.
Get ready to pay up Brexiters.
You really have a chip on your shoulder.

It's good news for Brexit. Firstly, a strong EU is incredibly important for the U.K. whether in or out. Secondly, Brexit is nothing like on the same level as what the abhorrent NF stands for, nobody wants that in their neighbour. It'll also calm down fears within the EU that other countries could head in a similar direction to the U.K., so there will be less of the 'punishment' rhetoric, and instead hopefully both sides can get on with doing what needs to be done in a more sensible manner without leaks and electioneering.

Even Michael Gove, Brexiteer Idiot of the Year 2016, desperately wanted Macron to win.

RenditMan

Banned
No, but when France have just elected someone who is staunchly pro-EU, it does put to bed the "EU is collapsing" rhetoric, that many on that side use to explain away any difficulties that may come our way.

The EU is more than Germany and its French assistant. At the end of the day it does not matter who the French president is, if Germany says so that's what everyone has to do in the EU.

They are the one who've hoovered up all the money you see.

The EU is more than Germany and its French assistant. At the end of the day it does not matter who the French president is, if Germany says so that's what everyone has to do in the EU.

If Germany has hoovered up all the money, then why is the UK alone in beginning the exit process?

PJV3

It's good news for Brexit. Firstly, a strong EU is incredibly important for the U.K. whether in or out. Secondly, Brexit is nothing like on the same level as what the abhorrent NF stands for, nobody wants that in their neighbour. It'll also calm down fears within the EU that other countries could head in a similar direction to the U.K., so there will be less of the 'punishment' rhetoric, and instead hopefully both sides can get on with doing what needs to be done in a more sensible manner without leaks and electioneering.

Even Michael Gove, Brexiteer Idiot of the Year 2016, desperately wanted Macron to win.

Good news for Brexit is over selling it, Macron doesn't veer much from the standard European position on Brexit, it's the status quo. Le Pen losing is just good for everyone not wishing to see the region destabilise and riots in the cities of France.

Xando

The good old 4th reich rhetoric.

Must be why the ECB has been employing the exact opposite of what germany wants for the last 5 years. Must be nice to live in a alternative reality

Nordicus

Germany is only beaten by Netherlands in net contribution to EU budget when it comes to GDP, and pays the highest amount of money in general.

Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Greece and Spain are the ones "hoovering" money as you've so delightfully worded.

Daffy Duck

God I'm so fucking pissed right now, all this strong and stable BS and the local paper is talking about funding cuts to the local schools (of which I have a child at the primary school being affected by cuts and having to lay off staff) and one at the high school who have also recently been saying things about cuts to their budgets.

These cuts to their education budgets and May in Andrew Marr still talks up the bullahit rhetoric that spending is up in real terms.

Fuck off with that shit you cunt.

Germany is only beaten by Netherlands in net contribution to EU budget when it comes to GDP, and pays the highest amount of money in general.

Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Greece and Spain are the ones "hoovering" money as you've so delightfully worded.

Plus the poor regions of the UK who Rendit thinks will be helped oh so much by Brexit. They benefit from EU funds too.

Just think if the NF had been elected le Pen would have destroyed the EU and we would have been able to sneak back into the new EU once the tide of crazy had blown over.

pswii60

I'm lucky enough to have a decent housing association flat. I've seen private rents for similar (or worse) properties that can be double what I pay.

Debt is the big thing I've been able to avoid with my increased earnings, really.
If I want to buy something (say 'hello,' my Nintendo Switch) or when an unexpected bill arrives then I can usually find a few hundred quid to pay for it.
I've previously been in low-earning jobs where I had to use an overdraft/credit card on a regular basis and it's not a fun way to live day-to-day.
Isn't that because a HA flat is subsidised?

pswii60

Plus the poor regions of the UK who Rendit thinks will be helped oh so much by Brexit. They benefit from EU funds too.
They were the ones who voted to leave though, self inflicted!

Out of interest has anyone got any examples of what the EU funding actually gets spent on in these areas? I've seen things like fibre broadband which is definitely useful (but still not got it where I live!) but also things like a new row of shops in Stocksbridge for example, which isn't such a good use of the funding.

Xando

Out of interest has anyone got any examples of what the EU funding actually gets spent on in these areas? I've seen things like fibre broadband which is definitely useful (but still not got it where I live!) but also things like a new row of shops in Stocksbridge for example, which isn't such a good use of the funding.
Quick google shows me in Manchester alone they fund new universities, bridges, council homes, train stations, museums, science parks
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...r-news/things-eu-done-for-manchester-11020085

SDR-UK

Here's a good example of how much Wales (South Wales, in particular) was benefitting from the EU membership. The regeneration in the area is amazing. It's still hard to believe that areas like Blaenau Gwent voted out considering how much they have benefitted from the funds in the past few years.

Daffy Duck

Quick google shows me in Manchester alone they fund new universities, bridges, council homes, train stations, museums, science parks
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...r-news/things-eu-done-for-manchester-11020085

Here's a good example of how much Wales (South Wales, in particular) was benefitting from the EU membership. The regeneration in the area is amazing. It's still hard to believe that areas like Blaenau Gwent voted out considering how much they have benefitted from the funds in the past few years.

It's things like this remain should've rammed home to show these people in these areas what they actually got!!

pswii60

Low immigration, lots of local investment, and they wanted Brexit. It must have been that advert on the side of the bus.
It's things like this remain should've rammed home to show these people in these areas what they actually got!!
Well Manchester did vote to remain, and I'm proud.

f0rk

The Wales examples are much better than Manchester, which are mostly fancy city centre building developments besides the trams and some council flat insulation. Not convinced the working class really have much to appreciate in fancy night lights outside of the Coop building.

Daily Mail obviously does not lead with Macron's victory, when they spent the front page after the first round bigging up Le Pen.

You now have two good centrists leading the two biggest EU economies... And here's me as a Lib Dem wondering why it can't happen here.

Sigh.

Bleepey

Daily Mail obviously does not lead with Macron's victory, when they spent the front page after the first round bigging up Le Pen.

You now have two good centrists leading the two biggest EU economies... And here's me as a Lib Dem wondering why it can't happen here.

Sigh.

lol at DM site

Spaghetti

Slightly worrying piece in The Guardian - "NHS staff 'quitting to work in supermarkets because of poor pay'"

I could definitely believe it. We've long heard about health professionals in the UK moving to Australia or New Zealand because of better pay and better work/life balance, but that's not always an option. Even anecdotally I know a lot of health professionals are either leaving the industry or leaving the country; a bunch of European staff are going because they feel unwelcome post-Brexit too.

Every cloud has a silver lining though, Jeremy Hunt is allegedly tipped to be axed after the election. Unfortunately they'll just replace him with some other awful cunt.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Slightly worrying piece in The Guardian - "NHS staff 'quitting to work in supermarkets because of poor pay'"

I could definitely believe it. We've long heard about health professionals in the UK moving to Australia or New Zealand because of better pay and better work/life balance, but that's not always an option. Even anecdotally I know a lot of health professionals are either leaving the industry or leaving the country; a bunch of European staff are going because they feel unwelcome post-Brexit too.

Every cloud has a silver lining though, Jeremy Hunt is allegedly tipped to be axed after the election. Unfortunately they'll just replace him with some other awful cunt.

hopefully it's a real axe and he has to visit A&E

That would have been easily countered by leavers going "well yeah it is YOUR money. The EU isn't given you money all it is doing is giving back a small amount of money that YOU had already given them, money that could be better spent on the NHS".

Most people in poor areas do not derive any benefit from the EU or at least any noticeable benefit they can attribute to the EU. I mean sure it is great the EU funds a museum dedicated to 13th century Wreath Wreathing and I am sure most go "oh cool place that, to bad I am too busy visiting a food bank to go in there".

As for NHS and low pay, yup we all agree the NHS is underfunded, yup staff wages are horrible but the vast majority do not want to pay more. It reminds me of that sketch in the simpsons where the teachers are threatening strike. You have Mrs Krabappel listing all the things wrong with the school the audience agrees with her. Then you have Skinner stand up and go "you will have to pay for it" and all of a sudden the audience are like "hm yeah he makes a valid point there".

The core of all this isn't really the Tories or Labour or any political party. The core of this is the UK population do not want to pay ......... until such time when we need these services then it becomes a case of "OMG how did the NHS get like this it is underfunded people should pay more tax".

DrMungo

I've been reading about Macron's victory in France.
I'm a (dismayed) American struggling to stay sane in Trumpland.
How is the June UK election shaping up? Is Theresa May actually popular, or are pro-Remain folks fired up? I have read that Article 50 is not necessarily set in stone and can be reversed.

Quixzlizx

I've been reading about Macron's victory in France.
I'm a (dismayed) American struggling to stay sane in Trumpland.
How is the June UK election shaping up? Is Theresa May actually popular, or are pro-Remain folks fired up? I have read that Article 50 is not necessarily set in stone and can be reversed.

The Tories are on pace to strongly and steadily steamroll.

PJV3

So the people in the UK are still in support of Brexit? I was led to think that low voter turnout and apathy led to the Brexit happening in the first place.

The people who voted to leave mostly still want to, some of the people who voted to stay think the vote should be respected, others want a strong/ruthless whatever government to be in charge of the process.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
So the people in the UK are still in support of Brexit? I was led to think that low voter turnout and apathy led to the Brexit happening in the first place.
Not really.

Turnout was exceptionally high in the EU referendum. The low turnout quoted is by the younger generations who, if they voted in the same percentage as the older cohorts, would have swung it back to a probable dead heat.

Since then little has changed. Overall the country is still polarised and younger people still won't fucking vote, leaving an easy path for May to steal the UKIP vote and get an easy majority.

I live in a safe Tory seat occupied by one of the most Pro EU MP and I fully intend to be asking him what he plans to safeguard jobs in his area considering the large number of EU owned companies with their UK operations here. Expecting hand waving.

thats not how the EU works. every member state has a veto right in this matter

the problem is that no party is really trying to champion an exit from the brexit. so there is no party really standing against the arguement of may that she wants a overwhelming majority to get the best deal (which is ridiculous because nobody is going to give UK a better deal just because tories are powerful in the country)

also now health staff from EU countries will not be able to come because teh evil freedom of movement

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Clueless and bitter.

Quite sure that's not how it works.
Bitter yes. But not clueless. Not clueless.

And that's a huge problem IMO, and why we'll continue down this authoritarian path.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...eat-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy

It was not that long ago that this was an exciting new technology written about with admiration and glowing terms like 'the power of friendship'.

Obama, Facebook and the power of friendship: the 2012 data election

A unified computer database that gathers and refines information on millions of potential voters is at the forefront of campaign technology – and could be the key to an Obama win.

For the past nine months a crack team of some of America's top data wonks has occupied an entire floor of the Prudential building in Chicago devising a digital campaign from the bottom up. The team draws much of its style and inspiration from the corporate sector, with its driving ambition to create a vote-garnering machine that is smooth, unobtrusive and ruthlessly efficient.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/feb/17/obama-digital-data-machine-facebook-election

But now the same technology has helped the other side it's a threat to democracy that should probably be shut down.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It was not that long ago that this was an exciting new technology written about with admiration and glowing terms like 'the power of friendship'.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/feb/17/obama-digital-data-machine-facebook-election

But now the same technology has helped the other side it's a threat to democracy that should probably be shut down.

The census is useful for basic social scientific research. The census is also useful if you're an authoritarian government that wants to systematically exploit or kill minorities. Is it not a surprise that peoples opinions on the census might be coloured by the moral character of its recent uses?

The web is great for independent voices to be able to be heard. It's also a place that claims that cheese pizza is code for child sex slavery until a lunatic shoots up a pizza place because 4chan told him to do it. Is it not a surprise that peoples opinions on web publishing might be coloured by the moral character of its recent uses?

Data analytics can be used to target people forgotten by the political process and allow them to have their say. It can also be used to exploit well-documented psychological vulnerabilities and make people whipped up into a frenzy about nothing. Is it not a surprise that peoples opinions on data analytics might be coloured by the moral character of its recent uses?

The problem here is that you expect people to have an opinion on process, and not an opinion on outcome, when in reality real humans mostly have an opinion on outcome, and not on process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom