• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK man jailed for four months for carrying 6-inch Zelda Master Sword in public

SiahWester

You seriously can't even carry a knife in the UK? A psychopathic killer isn't going to even consider a dumb law like this. But the law abiding citizens will which makes them more easily victimized.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I still can’t believe we let the English keep their country after 1776. Bonehead move.

George crossed the Delaware. Shoulda crossed the Atlantic and set us up for 51 states.

I'm kidding. We already stole enough. Adding British museums to the list would give us a monopoly on grand theft.

Wildebeest

If someone in the US was in a shopping centre and waving around a blade threatening police, he would probably be shot before anyone checked to see if it was based on well known IP.

Last edited:
I agree in principle, but the jail time seems excessive in this case.
A fine would have been .... fine (kek) IMO.

It only seems excessive because you're assuming this guy's intent was genuine and he was really only playing with a toy in public.

If it was a youth in a gang trying to skirt the law by brandishing a toy with the intent to actually hurt someone, then the jail time seems appropriate and a meaningful deterrent to others who might try something similar in future.

It only needs one angry delinquent youth with one of these toy swords to actually go after someone with the intent of hurting them and a person could easily lose their life. A fine will not do anything to deter people from running around the streets with toy knives that could do damage versus real ones.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
UK is the worse place in the west

In this situation, a blade is an illegal weapon, so walking around with it was asking to be taken in.

However, there are other ways the UK gets the award for worst places in the west. I've lived here all my life and it currently resembles something from George Orwell's nightmare.

If I could, I'd leave this shit hole of a country in a heartbeat.

hinch7

You seriously can't even carry a knife in the UK? A psychopathic killer isn't going to even consider a dumb law like this. But the law abiding citizens will which makes them more easily victimized.
There is a lot of knife crimes in the UK. Making it legal would increase deaths, not prevent them.

About the guy, what an idiot. Deserved slap on the wrist for that.

Last edited:
It's understandable that people would be scared and it's understandable that he'd deserve a fine or (perhaps) even questioning.
But without the additional context from @EviLore that sentence would be wildly inappropriate in any democracy, unless the man was actually attempting to commit a crime.
The "sword" is no more than a letter opener.
This kind of thinking from people like you is why crime is out of control in the US.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This kind of thinking from people like you is why crime is out of control in the US.
I don't live in the U.S. currently. I live in a country that has been scrutinized to hell and back for fighting rapist jihadi terrorists, which is probably why it triggers me a little to see people so quick to condemn a man for carrying around a letter opener, even as the world calls me a Nazi for imprisoning people with far worse criminal records. Perhaps I should stay away from threads like these.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I just hope every Brit thanks America every morning for allowing them to still exist.
449777099_8231421530225608_320371981513103720_n.jpg

Soodanim

As always, the additional context turns a huge miscarriage of justice in this awful oppressive land into "Actually that's fair enough, it's not some random on his first offence".

Perhaps people should learn that legal posts on video game sites might not be the most well researched pieces of journalism.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Absolutely the right decision. Fucking idiot.
Yep legal size limit is 3 inches for a knife in uk

Just think of it the same as the legal alcohol limit to drive. The guy would be double the limit.

Too many standings in the uk. I don’t see why this guy should be allowed to carry this.

xrnzaaas

The knife law in UK continues to amuse me. It's not going to stop criminals from getting the weapons or from attacking people using other means. But yeah it's such so much easier to punish normal citizens or people who "spread hate" online rather than fight actual crime.

Stabbings are getting worse every day in the UK and it's not as a result people carrying around a little Master Sword. Don't get me wrong, it is illegal and he should have been arrested but the people who are actually doing the stabbings lets just say aren't him.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The knife law in UK continues to amuse me. It's not going to stop criminals from getting the weapons or from attacking people using other means. But yeah it's such so much easier to punish normal citizens or people who "spread hate" online rather than fight actual crime.

Stabbings are getting worse every day in the UK and it's not as a result people carrying around a little Master Sword. Don't get me wrong, it is illegal and he should have been arrested but the people who are actually doing the stabbings lets just say aren't him.

The guy is a serial offender who's known to the police. He's been arrested repeatedly for burglary and has been accused of witness intimidation. Now he's walking around with a model sword with a metal blade that's twice as long as the legal limit. In an interview he says it's a fidget toy to keep his fingers busy.

It's a weird choice for a fidget toy, IMO, here's a similar sized model:

Seems a particularly unlikely fidget toy to me.

But put that to one side and You'd have to be some kind of moron to not think that your history of burglary and accusation of witness intimidation might mean you ought to try and take a more law abiding stance in your every day life, lest all those things come together and the police see you as merely a criminal with a 6 inch blade in your hand. Which for some reason you have in plain sight. It also seems pretty easy to imagine that people would find it unsettling for him to be walking around with it to me. There is after all, zero good reason for him to be carrying it.

What line would you take?

Last edited:

Lambogenie

These are cool objects but for home use, given knife issues in UK. Shouldn't need to happen but that's idiots whonruin it for others for ya.

But he shouldn't get prison. Actual criminals get less.

Phobos Base

Gold Member

That's like any law though, there will always be those who ignore it. You can kill someone using you first but doesn't mean other weapons shouldn't be banned.

Toots

Gold Member
Waiting for the dude mixtape

"Free skull kid !
I see the op (Ganon !)
Tries to hide then dash (pegasus boots !)
Draw my sword, 3-60 then splash (cut the grass !)
Throw a bomb at his feet
Roadman lost all his hearts
Don't have no fairy (Hey Listen!)
So he dead like Tortus (Anju !)
Cops can't find me
Because i put on Majora's Mask"

Loop Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Especially the further south you get, stabby cunts down that way.

A man was stabbed to death by a teenager on the very same street the Zelda guy was arrested on just a couple of weeks ago.

Knife crime isn’t confined to the South, sadly.

Zero tolerance is necessary. You carry a knife, you face the full force of the law.

Last edited:
Top Bottom