• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK man jailed for four months for carrying 6-inch Zelda Master Sword in public

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Just looked at local news about this then went gaf and seen this. Someone was killed not long ago in the town centre by knife so not surprised with the zero tolerance as it should be.
The replica doesn't look like it's sharp or strong enough to be used as a weapon. So is the sentence just for potentially scaring people?

Banjo64

cumsessed
If the sentence isn’t suspended this is sadly a shocking reflection of the state of UK policing and the CPS. I can accept the fine, because he was holding it out in front of him, but they don’t even imprison some of the worst types of offenders in this country.

Last edited:

coastel

The replica doesn't look like it's sharp or strong enough to be used as a weapon. So is the sentence just for potentially scaring people?
I'd say so and I'm surpised this person thought it was a good idea carrying it when it's been all over local news of the stabbing.

Edit: as in its been said there would be more police in the centre

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Pfft.. If he really had the trifoce of courage he wouldn’t have been arrested.
link-sword.gif

nemiroff

Gold Member
The world's tiniest sword..

Anyway, given the surge in terrorism and stabbing incidents across Europe the last few years, expecting people to not bring knives or swords into the public isn't exactly surprising.

Last edited:

coastel

Four months in prison?? You're out of your mind.
Me? Anyway as said some innocent bloke gets stabbed and dies so it's understandable to me. Fuck people who carry them unless they have a genuine reason. Was stupid of this person doing so with what happened so recently.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Me? Anyway as said some innocent bloke gets stabbed and dies so it's understandable to me. Fuck people who carry them unless they have a genuine reason. Was stupid of this person doing so with what happened so recently.
It's understandable that people would be scared and it's understandable that he'd deserve a fine or (perhaps) even questioning.
But without the additional context from EviLore EviLore that sentence would be wildly inappropriate in any democracy, unless the man was actually attempting to commit a crime.
The "sword" is no more than a letter opener.

Last edited:

coastel

It's understandable that people would be scared and it's understandable that he'd deserve a fine or (perhaps) even questioning.
But without the additional context from EviLore EviLore that sentence would be wildly inappropriate in any democracy, unless the man was actually attempting to commit a crime.
The "sword" is no more than a letter opener.
Yea with what was posted above about him maybe this is why it was a sentence straight away but I stick by what I said.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Relevant:

I was literally typing out my reply of "so how long before the criminal record comes out showing this is not a one off and this person has a history"

And you fucking posted it... damn it I would have looked so cool if I had got it in first.

Draugoth Draugoth might want to add EviLore EviLore update to this, as it adds context. I thought the sentence was a bit harsh to include jail time, this explains it, within context he's probably got it for more than a "fidget toy."

Last edited:

StueyDuck

If it's an actual blade and can cause harm and this isn't at some cosplay convention then yeah this is totally understandable.

No need to be cruising around public with it

LordOfChaos

Aren't those the keychain knives I see advertised on instagram all the time? I was looking at those but it would be annoying to get in trouble for a stupid reason for it. Are they even sharp?

calistan

You're allowed to carry a pocket knife if the blade is less than three inches and it isn't a folding/lock knife. The law seems clear and sensible to me.

Also, this guy was brandishing it in public and is a repeat offending scumbag, which means an automatic prison sentence. Fuck him.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Sounds ridiculous, but imho it's totally the right call by the authorities here.

There is too much knife crime in the UK and strict laws around bladed articles, diligently enforced, are one of the only ways we can curb the bad behaviour and keep the public safer.

Sure, this is a toy, but this is definitely sharp enough and rigid enough to pierce human tissues and really hurt someone. So preventing bad actors from getting around the laws by using articles like the above, to me is a higher priority than protecting the freedom of people walking around public streets brandishing a potentially dangerous new toy.
This is dangerous too?

220px-Aguja_Hilo_2.jpg

Top Bottom