• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

These latest poll results have me thinking that May really should go the early election route, she would have an easier 5 years and an enormous cushion against bad news.

I get that Corbyn almost guarantees another term, but anything can happen like the tories cracking if negotiations go badly. May has great poll numbers but she hasn't actually done much of any note or made concrete decisions yet.

These latest poll results have me thinking that May really should go the early election route, she would have an easier 5 years and an enormous cushion against bad news.

I get that Corbyn almost guarantees another term, but anything can happen like the tories cracking if negotiations go badly. May has great poll numbers but she hasn't actually done much of any note or made concrete decisions yet.

On the other hand, what's the rush? Labour aren't improving any time soon, she has a majority. By calling an election early, she'd be cutting her second term far shorter - because by that time, the country will be in economic ruin and there may even be competent opposition.

Protome

I signed although I can't think of a single one of these that has ever actually done anything of note. They'll schedule a time to talk about it, barely any MPs will show up, agree that the bill is fine, it gets forgotten about again.

That response from the Home Office is embarrassing. I get they can't just come out and say "We get why this is shitty" but still the defence of the bill being "We were doing all this illegally before anyway" is nuts.

The Government has placed privacy at the heart of the Investigatory Powers Act. The Act makes clear the extent to which investigatory powers may be used and the strict safeguards that apply in order to maintain privacy.

It's true to be fair, privacy is at the heart of the act. The removal of it is the whole point of the act.

Jesus, the Tories are ahead in the North by 10pts. They're ahead in literally every class demographic. The only thing they're behind on is 18-24, aka the people that don't vote.

Jezbollah

Jesus, the Tories are ahead in the North by 10pts. They're ahead in literally every class demographic. The only thing they're behind on is 18-24, aka the people that don't vote.

Yep. UKIP was the gateway drug for ex Labour voters to consider voting Conservative. And parking the bus on the "We're the party for Brexit" too. I'm thinking an 80 to 100 majority right now.

PJV3

On the other hand, what's the rush? Labour aren't improving any time soon, she has a majority. By calling an election early, she'd be cutting her second term far shorter - because by that time, the country will be in economic ruin and there may even be competent opposition.

I get the strategy, and I thought it was the best one until very recently.

She's never gonna get better numbers than this period of patriotism without consequences. She loses a couple of years of this term but gains a huge majority and avoids splits and rebellion. She will reduce Labour to a rump, talented and experienced MPs will be lost and the party will not recover in 5 years anyway.

I get the strategy, and I thought it was the best one until very recently.

She's never gonna get better numbers than this period of patriotism without consequences. She loses a couple of years of this term but gains a huge majority and avoids splits and rebellion. She will reduce Labour to a rump, talented and experienced MPs will be lost and the party will not recover in 5 years anyway.

It'll also give greater legitimacy to her negotiating position re: Brexit. Even without a clear, public plan, a large majority would be a show of faith in her ability to represent the will of the people.

PJV3

Legitimacy to who?

She can avoid a Gordon Brown and have the public on side.
She can avoid a John Major and have a thumping majority in Westminster. She can't do much about the EU as Boris is pissing everyone off, but they will know May is secure and not facing reelection for years after Brexit in 2019.

I see, it doesn't seem to be hurting her much at the moment though does it?

No, but I think - in the same way the economy is fine - we haven't got anywhere with negotiation yet. Right now Brexit can be all things to all people. I think once the detail starts getting nailed down, having her own mandate will be important.

Jezbollah

YouGov polling - voting intent in Scotland (constituency)

SNP: 48% (-4)
CON: 25% (+4)
LAB: 15% (-1)
LDEM: 6% (+1)

YouGov / 24 - 29 Nov
(changes compared to August).

Conservatives with a 10pt gap over Labour in Scotland.....

Conservatives with a 10pt gap over Labour in Scotland.....

Anyone out on the doorstep across the country can tell you that Labour's vote is collapsing. If the LD canvas data in Richmond Park is right, then they're in spitting distance of losing their deposit there.

They're in a totally impossible situation, where their only obvious voter base right now is leave-voting Guardianistas.

Maledict

Anyone out on the doorstep across the country can tell you that Labour's vote is collapsing. If the LD canvas data in Richmond Park is right, then they're in spitting distance of losing their deposit there.

They're in a totally impossible situation, where their only obvious voter base right now is leave-voting Guardianistas.

I hope they do lose their depositi in Richmond - I am utterly furious at the party for contesting that seat. The *only* thing they can accomplish by competiting is ensuring that a racist Brexit-re gets into parliament. It's a disgrace.

And to be hon st, I don't think his base reads the guardian that much. I don't think the guardian massively supports him (even Owen Jones did an about face), and the guardian readers I know of are resigned to the party death. I think a lot of the people supporting him don't access mainstream media anymore.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The Lib Dems aren't much better placed. They've got a chance in by-elections, but they'd need a swing of more than 10% to take even 21 seats. Labour's demographic is really anyone who opposes the Conservatives and actually lives in a seat where they're viable.

The Lib Dems aren't much better placed. They've got a chance in by-elections, but they'd need a swing of more than 10% to take even 21 seats.

On uniform national swing, yes, but uniform national swing is a bad indicator for how many seats the LDs win. We actually gained seats whilst losing votes for much of our journey from the formation of the merged party to 2010.

For example, there was the ICM (?) poll which asked voters who they'd back if Labour and the Tories were both pro-Brexit and the LDs sided with Remain, and the LDs came out on top in London (on a 200-person sample, so with about a 7% MoE though!).

London has 73 seats to win. If 40% of all of London's voters decided to vote LD, that might only be a few percentage points in UNS, but that's a lot more seats for the LDs.

The problem UKIP and the Greens have is that they're campaigning parties with few actually solid local parties that can win elections. So UKIP can win huge numbers of votes and no seats. But to actually get power in the UK, you have to do community politics with strong local parties.

That's why I'm calling UKIP as dead despite them having over 10% of voters declaring they'd vote for them. 10% in every constituency = no seats, and 40,000 members spread across the UK is simply not enough to run a national campaign whilst bankrupt.

Mr. Sam

The Lib Dems aren't much better placed. They've got a chance in by-elections, but they'd need a swing of more than 10% to take even 21 seats.

So if we change the election system so that one seat is contested each week for 600+ weeks, and then you start again at the first seat, we'll eventually get a Parliament that's 100% Lib Dems? Who'll tell them so they can start drawing up the petition?

So if we change the election system so that one seat is contested each week for 600+ weeks, and then you start again at the first seat, we'll eventually get a Parliament that's 100% Lib Dems? Who'll tell them so they can start drawing up the petition?

Lib Dems aside, this would be a really interesting system to see shake out.

A never ending election cycle sounds awful. nothing would ever get done...

Hard to know, innit? Cause our elections now are only every 5 or so years so it's a big ol' bunch of fisticuffs that defines the next 5 years. If parliamentary majorities were a little more... fluid and we could see trends in them going up and down you wouldn't necessarily have to wait until a government fell to see real change being implemented. I mean, I'm not really championing it, but it would be interesting.

Hard to know, innit? Cause our elections now are only every 5 or so years so it's a big ol' bunch of fisticuffs that defines the next 5 years. If parliamentary majorities were a little more... fluid and we could see trends in them going up and down you wouldn't necessarily have to wait until a government fell to see real change being implemented. I mean, I'm not really championing it, but it would be interesting.

You're the resident champion of unusual election methods that's for sure. :p

Maledict

Labour shouldn't have contested that seat in the first place.

Nope. There was a large amount of anger amongst Labour people I know that the party was even trying - no-one is entirely sure *why* they were contesting, unless they wanted another Brexit MP in the house.

Amazing result though. That's an utterly ridiculous swing from the tories. And yet it's Labour who have to be afraid - this shows that polling about London voter intentions if Labour backs Brexit and the lib Dems back remain might actually be accurate. Labour stands to lose a lot more than the tories if london starts to shift like this.

Empty

There won't be that many Tory MPS affected by this, it's more Labour MPs who will be at risk. Zac was an outlier in where he was on Europe versus his constituency.

the tory majority consists of seats they picked up from the lib dems in 2015, many of them remain voting constituencies. even if the mp's personal politics are better than zach's i think it becomes very easy for lib dems to run against the national tory agenda of hurtling towards the hardest brexit.

Maledict

the tory majority consists of seats they picked up from the lib dems in 2015, many of them remain voting constituencies. even if the mp's personal politics are better than zach's i think it becomes very easy for lib dems to run against the national tory agenda of hurtling towards the hardest brexit.

Actually most of them voted to leave according to what I'm reading.

On a side note, how on earth is the following not challenged by a tv interviewer:

jacob Rees-mog said:
And he says having a second referendum would amount to rejecting the result of the first referendum. That would be undemocratic, he says.

He is such an utterly, utterly loathsome piece of shit. One of my most detested MPs.

Uzzy

Who knows, the Lib Dems might reach double figures if more by-elections get called.

But yes, this does present a problem for Labour. Oppose Brexit and they'll be annihilated in the North, but even supporting a moderate, soft Brexit isn't acceptable to more metropolitan areas, which the Lib Dems can exploit.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
There won't be that many Tory MPS affected by this, it's more Labour MPs who will be at risk. Zac was an outlier in where he was on Europe versus his constituency.

But as a symbolic victory it's very important. LibDems will hopefully exploit it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Or there would never be any long-term planning because no government could ever risk short term costs for long-term gain. It would be permanent institutional paralysis.

Mr. Sam

I mean, I was just joking but if you guys want to go ahead and implement it, I'm game.

The BBC doesn't even have the by-election result on its home page. It's not even 9am. What the fuck?

Maledict

I mean, I was just joking but if you guys want to go ahead and implement it, I'm game.

The BBC doesn't even have the by-election result on its home page. It's not even 9am. What the fuck?

Um, it's their main story and the numbers are in the article covering it? Which site are you looking at? ;-)

Mr. Sam

Um, it's their main story and the numbers are in the article covering it? Which site are you looking at? ;-)

BBC.co.uk (excuse the aspect ratio - it's a work computer):

9rQXiW5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom