• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosichu

@LordStras
#IPBill Lib Dems just voted alone in Lords against Tories & Labour to try to stop virtual database on all UK citizens. More to follow

@LordStras
Lib Dems about to vote alone again, this time against Govt making your ISP keep a log of all your web activity. #IPBill

@LordStras
Same result. Labour peers (except one) voted with Tories for making all your Internet activity available to cops & many other orgs. v sad.

@LordStras
Labour just caved in over our attempt to increase the power of the judges who will watch over Govt snooping. That won't stop us. #IPBill

LordStras
@maznu Labour sided with the govt to stop more oversight.

@LordStras
#IPBill Lib Dem peers still fighting tonight. More to come on Wednesday.

Cheers Corbyn

Fuck sake

Airports decision pushed back to Winter 17/18.

Nice to see May's willing to make the hard calls that will help with our country's growth.

Fuck it, expand both airports, at the rate we're making decisions that'll probably be needed anyway. And might as well make everyone unhappy as it'll be messy enough. (This is why I'm not in charge)

Maledict

Airports decision pushed back to Winter 17/18.

Nice to see May's willing to make the hard calls that will help with our country's growth.

Fuck it, expand both airports, at the rate we're making decisions that'll probably be needed anyway. And might as well make everyone unhappy as it'll be messy enough. (This is why I'm not in charge)

Where are you reading this? Everything I'm seeing says the decision is next week? Agree on both airports btw.

Beefy

@LordStras

Been to Witney. We're doing well. Back into the #IPBill fray tomorrow trying to stop Govt attempt to weaken encryption 😡

Nicktendo86

Tories have an 18 point lead on 47% according to ipsos mori today.

Astonishing, the ukip ratings gave understandably dropped like a stone.

Beefy

@LordStras
Labour peers about to vote AGAIN for your internet history to be recorded & held for 12 months. Disgraceful.

Paul Strasburger ‏@LordStras
@TheTartanCon I sadly expected them to abstain but this was far worse. They actually joined the Tories to steal our privacy

@LordStras
Long battle in Lords on #IPBill about govt plans to make firms like Apple break their own encryption. They retired bruised & MIGHT concede

Save us Apple!!

Beefy

@OwenJones84

Tories beginning to call for an early election before the bad Brexit deal they expect Britain will get. That tells us everything.

Brilliant result for the Lib Dems in Witney. Nice to see a UKIP collapse alongside it as well.

You know, between this and the last general election, I wonder if there's a particular connection between voting Conservative, and voting Lib Dem. It feels like there's more of a bridge between those two than say, someone voting Labour and then Conservative, unless that's more my perception than reality.

You know, between this and the last general election, I wonder if there's a particular connection between voting Conservative, and voting Lib Dem. It feels like there's more of a bridge between those two than say, someone voting Labour and then Conservative, unless that's more my perception than reality.

I don't think you're wrong, but the Lib Dems is a particularly "broad church", or at least it seems that way because they are more center. Someone who likes Vince Cable is more likely to jump to Labour, someone who likes (liked?) Clegg is more likely to jump to he Tories BUT I think this is only so long as they're a Cameroonian, mostly liberal conservative party. People - like me - who want an economically centrist, socially liberal party aren't going to go to Labour. Might go Lib Dem though,

Jezbollah

So, a day after the decision on Heathrow, May answers the first question on the matter 40 minutes into PMQs, and is asked by one in her own benches...

Hyams

These by-elections are frustrating. If Labour hadn't run a candidate in Witney and instead endorsed the Lib Dem candidate, the Lib Dems very well could have won it.

Now in Richmond Park we're seeing the Tories and UKIP not fielding candidates, but Labour (despite calls from several Labour MPs not to) are, even though they stand no chance of winning.

You would have thought the pro-EU message and the reduced Tory majority that two Lib Dems wins would provide would be to Labour's benefit. There's been all this talk of a 'progressive alliance', but it doesn't seem to have evolved beyond just talk.

Maledict

The majority of Labour activists and politicians I know / work with hate the lib dems more than the tories (and that includes before the coalition government ). The tories are seen as the distant, implacable enemy whose evil is taken as granted, the lib dems are seen as traitors who should just get over themselves, join Labour and ensure a permanent progressive majority.

Lib dems are viewed as traitors who are stealing votes from the left to enable the tories to win. It's a visceral loathing that only seems to come between people who are more similar than different.

Beefy

May’s student deportation programme in tatters as legal appeal falls apart

A long-running programme to deport foreign students from the UK on the basis of hearsay evidence was in ruins today, after the appeal court ruled against the Home Office.

The decision to quietly shelve the legal challenge is a damning moment for Theresa May, who presided over the department when it used flimsy evidence to threaten tens of thousands of foreign students with detention and deportation.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2016...eportation-programme-in-tatters-as-legal-appe

The majority of Labour activists and politicians I know / work with hate the lib dems more than the tories (and that includes before the coalition government ). The tories are seen as the distant, implacable enemy whose evil is taken as granted, the lib dems are seen as traitors who should just get over themselves, join Labour and ensure a permanent progressive majority.

Lib dems are viewed as traitors who are stealing votes from the left to enable the tories to win. It's a visceral loathing that only seems to come between people who are more similar than different.

To do so undermines the very distinct differences the parties have.

Lib Dems are generally for less government interface in everyday life, Labour are for more. Lib Dems pursue a non-interverionist foreign policy while Labour (recently at least) hae been the opposite. The Lib Dems are fundamentally pro free trade, Labour is more protectionist my nature.

All that unites the parties currently is a dislike of the Tories. They're not similar enough to integrate.

To do so undermines the very distinct differences the parties have.

Lib Dems are generally for less government interface in everyday life, Labour are for more. Lib Dems pursue a non-interverionist foreign policy while Labour (recently at least) hae been the opposite. The Lib Dems are fundamentally pro free trade, Labour is more protectionist my nature.

All that unites the parties currently is a dislike of the Tories. They're not similar enough to integrate.

You have written this on a Friday, and so it may be true. What about Saturday? The Lib Dems are surprisingly pro-spending on Saturdays.

Thought this deserved a mention here:
David Cameron income tax law promise 'made up on the hoof'

Mr Gill, who was Mr Cameron's head of strategic communications in charge of the "Grid" outlining Downing Street's planning agenda from 2011 to 2015, told BBC Radio 4's Week in Westminster: "Sometimes when a vacuum is there, it makes the government do some stupid things.

"When I was in government, we made some announcements on the hoof just to fill that vacuum."

He added: "Towards the end of the general election campaign in 2015, we did the five-year tax lock. It's when we committed to put in legislation that we would not increase taxes.

"It was probably the dumbest economic policy that anyone could make, but we kind of cooked it up on the hoof a couple of days before, because we had a hole in the grid and we needed to fill it."

The Lib Dems have chosen their candidate for the Richmond by-election - Sarah Olney.

She has a real chance here. Richmond was a Lib Dem seat up until 2010, and people in the constituency voted fairly overwhelmingly for the UK to remain in the EU. Meanwhile, Zac Goldsmith campaigned for Brexit, and is now more known for his vitriolic racism towards Sadiq Khan during his own campaign to become Mayor of London.

There was speculation of the Lib Dems parachuting in a 'name' candidate for this one, but I think it's smart of Farron to go with Olney. The Lib Dem brand is clearly still very toxic, so a fresh face helps the party distance itself from the actions of the coalition government. The collapse of UKIP and the Conservative Party's refusal to field a candidate will make it an uphill battle, mind.

Beefy

@LordStras

Govt just failed to stop Lords adding Leveson protection for victims of press abuse. Now it's up to the Commons tomorrow

@LordStras

My faint hope Govt would see sense of not weakening encryption in #IPBill was misplaced. Our security & crypto tech being stuffed on Monday

CwMdpWlW8AA_yLe.png:large

With all this increased talk of an early-year GE, this makes for interesting reading based on the above info:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/04/election-labour-jeremy-corbyn

Short version: An early GE would be bad for Corbyn and not just because of the loss. It would also affect all 'groups' of MPs equally, and since there hasn't been enough time to push through deselections, it means that the PLP after a GE won't be materially any more or less pro Corbyn than it is now, there'll just be less of them, which is turn makes it less likely that a Corbynite will make it onto a leadership ballot - assuming he resigns.

With all this increased talk of an early-year GE, this makes for interesting reading based on the above info:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/04/election-labour-jeremy-corbyn

Short version: An early GE would be bad for Corbyn and not just because of the loss. It would also affect all 'groups' of MPs equally, and since there hasn't been enough time to push through deselections, it means that the PLP after a GE won't be materially any more or less pro Corbyn than it is now, there'll just be less of them, which is turn makes it less likely that a Corbynite will make it onto a leadership ballot - assuming he resigns.

Could Corbyn push through a mandatory re-selection himself?

If fascinates me to no end that the only group doing better is the tories.

Sure, there's the Leadership explanation, but gaddam, one would usually expect some pushback due to the recent fuckery.

Maledict

Sure, there's the Leadership explanation, but gaddam, one would usually expect some pushback due to the recent fuckery.

We are in times of huge uncertainty, and people want particular things from a government in those times. It's nothing to do with the labour leadership election - Corbyn simply does not look competent (nor is he), and right now people would vote for the jack boot if it had a plan and looked like it knew what it was doing.

A decent Labour leader would be capable of doing so well right now. It's the biggest tragedy in modern politics that a really weak, bad conservative leader is doing so well thanks to the utter ineptitude of Corbyn and the martyrdom complex of the far left and young.

We are in times of huge uncertainty, and people want particular things from a government in those times. It's nothing to do with the labour leadership election - Corbyn simply does not look competent (nor is he), and right now people would vote for the jack boot if it had a plan and looked like it knew what it was doing..

Were that the case, lib dems would be polling better. Their Fuck Brexit plan was quite clearly stated. And yet...

Like i said, the oddity is that the tories are the only group doing better. One would be justified in expecting other parties (beyond labour) to make some gains, and that hasnt happened either.

Were that the case, lib dems would be polling better. Their Fuck Brexit plan was quite clearly stated. And yet...

Like i said, the oddity is that the tories are the only group doing better. One would be justified in expecting other parties (beyond labour) to make some gains, and that hasnt happened either.

Exactly. The Labour share has fallen dramatically, but the only party that has gained is the Conservative Party. The Lib Dems that left for Labour or Conservatives in 2015 haven't come back. The ex-Labour UKIP voters have gone to the Conservatives.

Utterly bizarre.

I guess it actually helps that they campaigned against it, and that it was a referendum. People who voted to leave - which is obviously over half the voting public - like what's happening, and those who don't like it but were previously Tory voters have no real benefit from jumping ship to a party they like less.

Jezbollah

Exactly. The Labour share has fallen dramatically, but the only party that has gained is the Conservative Party. The Lib Dems that left for Labour or Conservatives in 2015 haven't come back. The ex-Labour UKIP voters have gone to the Conservatives.

Utterly bizarre.

The ex Labour UKIP voters voted UKIP as a gateway drug to them voting Tory IMO.

Beefy

VIRGIN is to become the first private firm to run adult social care after winning a controversial £700million contract.

A Tory-led council last night agreed Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Care could run more than 200 NHS services.

But campaigners fear it is the start of the health service being sold off.

Cllr Eleanor Jackson said: “Make no mistake about it, what has happened here is the beginning of the privatisation of the NHS in this country.

“The Tories have let us all down and everyone should be horrified about this decision. Woe betide you getting ill in this area if you are old, disabled or have learning difficulties in the next seven years. It is just a horrifying decision.”

Protesters in the council chamber booed as Bath and North East Somerset councillors voted in favour of the landmark deal. The decision was approved with 35 votes to 22. It came after a unanimously favourable vote by the council’s NHS Clinical Commissioning Group.

The decision has been the subject of controversy for months. One protester who descended on the Guildhall in Bath before last night’s vote said: “This could be a huge watershed for healthcare in this country and finally realise the Tory dream of killing off the NHS once for all. We will be vocal in our outrage.”

Hundreds of campaigners, including I, Daniel Blake film director Ken Loach, marched last month against the deal.

Public health nursing and speech and language therapy are also included in the contract. The council said it will have a clause requiring any financial surplus to be reinvested in services.

But Ruth Allen, of the British Association of Social Workers, said: “How long will that last, and how will surpluses be defined?”

She added: “How can they provide sustainable value on public money and highest quality when they need to show dividend returns to shareholders?”

Cllr Vic Pritchard, Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Health said the council followed “the recommendation of a wide range of service users, carers and subject matter experts who have dedicated hundreds of hours to scrutinising the bids and really understand how services need to change”.

A Virgin Care spokesman added: “We have been providing community health and care services for a decade, working with a range of partners to look after more than a million people a year.”

Services will be transferred from not-for-profit social enterprise Sirona to Virgin Care next April.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/700m-virgin-social-care-deal-9237399

Branson didn't wait long.

Can someone explain to "ordinary resident" to me in layman terms, particulary as it relates to NHS eligibility? I've got about 10 PDF's from gov.uk. but I think all I've done is confused myself and gone down a rabbit hole of EEA's and LIR's.

If my reading of this is correct, ordinary resident is based on four-fold test (fourth being for non-EEA, and has ILR in UK)?

Just gaming out here.. If I, as a self-employed individual, were to more to Britian how long must I reside there for NHS purposes? This is where I get confused. It looks like 180 days minimum? That cant be right, seems alarmingly....humane.

Jezbollah

Can someone explain to "ordinary resident" to me in layman terms, particulary as it relates to NHS eligibility? I've got about 10 PDF's from gov.uk. but I think all I've done is confused myself and gone down a rabbit hole of EEA's and LIR's.

If my reading of this is correct, ordinary resident is based on four-fold test (fourth being for non-EEA, and has ILR in UK)?

Just gaming out here.. If I, as a self-employed individual, were to more to Britian how long must I reside there for NHS purposes? This is where I get confused. It looks like 180 days minimum? That cant be right, seems alarmingly....humane.

Take a look at this:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/h...lth-costs/nhs-charges-for-people-from-abroad/

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

That doesn't make sense - the threshold is determined by the percentage of MPs for an open contest (20%) and the percentage of [MPs + MEPs] for a challenge (15%). If the number of MPs is reduced, the number of MPs required for a nomination is reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom