• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

Why are they talking about the Falkland Islands???

Gods help me, watching the Labour party do this to itself is so incredibly sad and depressing. It must be what being a Tory under IDS felt like - although at least they wanted to win!

Why on earth is the Falkland Islands in the news at all? Why can't Jeremy just put out a statement killing this unbelievably stupid, stupid thing dead? It gains absolutely nothing and is an absolute vote killer up and down the country.

Gods, even the far lefties I know don't want to be discussing the Falkland Islands. What could possibly be worth it?

Kuros

Gods help me, watching the Labour party do this to itself is so incredibly sad and depressing. It must be what being a Tory under IDS felt like - although at least they wanted to win!

Why on earth is the Falkland Islands in the news at all? Why can't Jeremy just put out a statement killing this unbelievably stupid, stupid thing dead?
It gains absolutely nothing and is an absolute vote killer up and down the country.

Gods, even the far lefties I know don't want to be discussing the Falkland Islands. What could possibly be worth it?

Because like with Trident he won't go against his beliefs despite it dragging the party down the plughole.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Why on earth is the Falkland Islands in the news at all? Why can't Jeremy just put out a statement killing this unbelievably stupid, stupid thing dead? It gains absolutely nothing and is an absolute vote killer up and down the country.

It's absolutely bizarre and somewhat depressing. Even the Argentinians seem embarrassed about the whole thing.

Uzzy

Because like with Trident he won't go against his beliefs despite it dragging the party down the plughole.

Trident's a fight worth having though. The Falklands issue is just bizarre, I don't even see what Corbyn's argument is.

The people there are British and want to remain so.

Beefy

Actually looking at the detail it seems they might be suggesting building the Vanguard replacements but not arming them with Nukes. Which is fucking madness, they're too big, expensive to be useful for anything else.

Ken Livingstone said that in a live interview. He said Labour aren't against building the subs, but are against arming them with nukes.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Labour's situation is just so sad right now. The entire PLP is out of touch with reality, but all of them for different reasons.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

New Argentine President leads to change in ambassadors, leads to interview with outgoing ambassador, which refers back to meeting with Corbyn while he was a backbencher, which leads to questioning from Andrew Marr.

The whole thing was entirely predictable, and Corbyn should have prepared better to either avoid the question or to say something less divisive or at least to consult with Benn beforehand.

Surely "The will of the people living on the islands take precedent over any interests that the UK government and the Argentinian government might have" is a line that basically anyone, left or right, can get behind? Given the repeated result of polls and referenda on the island, entertaining the idea of actually discussing the situation with Argentina seems mental to me.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Surely "The will of the people living on the islands take precedent over any interests that the UK government and the Argentinian government might have" is a line that basically anyone, left or right, can get behind? Given the repeated result of polls and referenda on the island, entertaining the idea of actually discussing the situation with Argentina seems mental to me.

More or less, yeah.

Aahh. Yes. Of course. The British colonists displaced the Argentinian colonists. 180 years ago. I forgot about the Milne Doctrine of "everything we do is bad and must be opposed."

Protome

The concept of the Falklands being in the news for any reason other than the latest Argentinian leader having a hissy fit seems so absurd.

There's no debate to be had there, the people have spoken. Repeatedly.

This isn't like Trident where at least being publicly against it gains some votes up north. I'm not even confident it would lose votes either, it's just kinda there to be ignored by the electorate because who cares.

Maledict

He was an awful, awful human being. The court injunction he got over his daughter from the affair remains one of the most chilling examples of the establishment in this country using the system for their own ends.

She couldn't even be in her school photos for goodness sakes, it was that strict. He never once visited, fought against every child maintain ends issue (even to the point of saying she should be institutionalised), and got a court order which made her a non-person for the first 18 years of her life. She doesn't appear in her school photos, her Class books or even on school trophies.

He was in every respect an utterly contemptible waste of human skin, and if I believed in hell I'd be happy to think he'd be roasting there right now.

Since we're all repeating The Sun's take on words spoken by a person as if it's something approaching the truth, what do you all think about George Osborne refusing to have the minutes taken for his meetings (as chancellor) with various heads of media outlets over the last two years?

Since we're all repeating The Sun's take on words spoken by a person as if it's something approaching the truth, what do you all think about George Osborne refusing to have the minutes taken for his meetings (as chancellor) with various heads of media outlets over the last two years?

That's what I'd do.

probably talks about carving up the bbc and c4 so murdoch can make more money from (and make more politically influential) his garbage news services

Have you ever read Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet? If not, you should - it's both interesting and hilarious. The crux of the story is that it's time for the end times to arrive and the Anti-christ is born (but due to a slip up at the hospital ends up going home with the wrong parents, with hilarious consequences). Anyway, two of the main characters are Aziraphale and Crowley, heaven and hell's emmisary on earth respectively. In theory they are meant to be sworn enemies but the reality is that they've both been around so long, seen so many empires rise and fall and civilisations come and go that they basically just have each other as constants. Mild spoilers, but they basically decide that, actually, they quite like earth and so end up working together to try to halt the end times.

That's basically how I see the upper echelons of politics and the media. Even when they're on "opposite sides", they have all been at the top table so long that I imagine their meetings are, at the very least, pretty informal. Some time before the Scottish Referendum, ex-Scotsman journalist and now editor of the Spectator Fraser Nelson wrote a piece telling a story of Danny Alexander and he toasting the Labour victory in 97 whilst drinking Irn Bru and Scotch (really - as in, mixed together) because they thought that the Scottish devolution that Labour promised (and delivered) would kill of the independence movement. Fraser wasn't always the editor of the Spectator and Danny wasn't always the Treasury Secretary. I imagine most of them are, if not friends, at least acquaintances.

In that context I know I'd be calling Rusbridger a homeless commie and saying that Monbiot fucks hedgerows. But not on the record!

I can't even begin to fathom how nice it must be to live in a world where the worst possible reason you can imagine for shady (quite possibly illegal) private meetings between George Osborne and Rupert Murdoch is 'they might be rude about other people behind their backs!'.

That's what Christmas parties at ol' Murdoch's house are for.

I can't even begin to fathom how nice it must be to live in a world where the worst possible reason you can imagine for shady (quite possibly illegal) private meetings between George Osborne and Rupert Murdoch is 'they might be rude about other people behind their backs!'.

That's what Christmas parties at ol' Murdoch's house are for.

OK, I was being slightly facetious. I guess my point really is that if Osborne and Murdoch want to get together and plot how they can scalp Watson and bring up Corbyn's dirty laundry (before he does himself, natch), they could just go to the pub. Or Osborne's house. Or Murdoch's dungeon. Any conversations like that would not take place under the guise of an official meeting between the Chancellor of the Exchequer and Murdoch as a guest. I say this not to pooh-pooh the idea of any accountability, but rather this particular kind of accountability is basically pointless when it's so obviously avoidable. So what were they talking about under the guise of an official meeting between the Chancellor of the Exchquer and Murdoch? I dunno, the same stuff he was talking to the Independent's owner about, I guess - trying to slightly woo a media owner whose papers actually haven't always been sympathetic to his and Dave's form of compassionate conservatism. If that involves calling Rusbridger a tramp, so be it.

Jezbollah

Personally, I think an OT is most certainly required, but probably best be made once we know the actual date of the vote.

PMQs coverage just finished. Cameron got off lightly again.

Kuros

Personally, I think an OT is most certainly required, but probably best be made once we know the actual date of the vote.

PMQs coverage just finished. Cameron got off lightly again.

Dave is simply better at this than Corbyn.

He'll probably get pulled up for the "bunch of migrants line" but he was able to get in a dig about flying pickets and the Falklands which is all he really needs to do.

Once again the leader of the opposition is setting up open goals for the Tory's all week before PMQs.

Daves been doing this for 8 years, he's perfected the art of being slippery with his answers whilst attacking others to hide his faults. He's a very good public speaker, just not a good PM.

Sometimes the mask slips like today with his Migrants line. It won't get picked up on as the main stream media probably think the same thing!

On the plus side for Labour when Dave leaves, I don't think any of his replacements will be anywhere near as good.

kmag

On the subject of Labour: they're planning to lose all their Scottish constituency seats in the Holyrood election

Might just be expectation management but that's what they're putting out.

Kuros

They're putting out that they may well lose all of them. Which means they might think they can hang onto a couple. Which can then be called a victory.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Dave is simply better at this than Corbyn.

He'll probably get pulled up for the "bunch of migrants line" but he was able to get in a dig about flying pickets and the Falklands which is all he really needs to do.

Once again the leader of the opposition is setting up open goals for the Tory's all week before PMQs.

What is the fuss about this "bunch of migrants" line? Is there some ideologically sound collective noun for a gathering of more than one migrant of which I am unaware?

Kuros

What is the fuss about this "bunch of migrants" line? Is there some ideologically sound collective noun for a gathering of more than one migrant of which I am unaware?

Faux outrage. He probably shouldn't have said it like that but it's knicker twisting stuff.

No doubt there will be Trident vote strategically timed with regards to these elections too.

Without doubt. That's straight out of Gideon's play book.

I think it's supposedly the dehumanising thing and the tone of the whole sentence, they're a bunch that don't matter, particularly after his use of swarm before.

As to whether I'm bothered, I haven't decided.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I think it's supposedly the dehumanising thing and the tone of the whole sentence, they're a bunch that don't matter, particularly after his use of swarm before.

As to whether I'm bothered, I haven't decided.

I really can't see the downside to being (perhaps unintentionally) compared to gladioli. Or roses. Or daffs.

Jezbollah

The thing is - there was opportunity for Corbyn to expose the differences between the PM and his Chancellor with regards to Google's tax arrangement. There was opportunity for Corbyn to nail the Tories on the court judgement on the Bedroom tax. There was also opportunity to push Cameron on the migrant issue in general.

However, we are left with the main talking point after PMQs being the debate on the use of the collective noun of those people.

It doesn't surprise me one bit when I hear about Labour losing their remaining Holyrood seats - Angus Robertson does a much better job at PMQs with two questions compared to JC's six....

EDIT: I have just seen on Twitter that Corbyn has written to the PM with regards to him using the words "a bunch of migrants"...........

I think Dave's a pretty great PM. He's presided over a pretty united party and cabinet with very little reshuffling, whilst going about getting his manifestos put into legislation. Whatever you think about the actual policies, IMO he's pretty unequivocally "a good PM". Keep us in Europe and he'll go down in history very well.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Thats some fun revisionist history and a fucking low bar. I remember all the reshuffles during "Dave"'s first tenure when so many of his cabinet turned out to be pure sleazeballs that had to fall on their own swords. Hunt's sword was a rubber one though clearly.

Sure hope those BMA talks with the NHS are going well so its not something else historic on the cards.

Thats some fun revisionist history and a fucking low bar. I remember all the reshuffles during "Dave"'s first tenure when so many of his cabinet turned out to be pure sleazeballs that had to fall on their own swords. Hunt's sword was a rubber one though clearly.

Sure hope those BMA talks with the NHS are going well so its not something else historic on the cards.

I genuinely don't know who you're talking about. From what I remember, the " disgraced " members that quit were both Lib Dems (Laws, Huhne), assuming we aren't referring to Andrew Mitchell given he was falsely accused of something he didn't do. Other than that, all the big comings-and-goings, of which there weren't that many, were fairly uneventful - Hague from Foreign, Gove from Education, Warsi from nothing to nothing. I'm obviously forgetting quite a few fairly major things... ?

ruttyboy

Why is it considered acceptable to answer every PMQ with, "But it was allowed under Labour too!"?

Whether that's true or not is irrelevant, they're not in power anymore, you are, so do something about it!

Hell, maybe the reason that they didn't do anything about it is why they're not in power now? Maybe people believed your lies and thought you would actually do something to sort it out?

Jezbollah

Why is it considered acceptable to answer every PMQ with, "But it was allowed under Labour too!"?

Whether that's true or not is irrelevant, they're not in power anymore, you are, so do something about it!

Hell, maybe the reason that they didn't do anything about it is why they're not in power now? Maybe people believed your lies and thought you would actually do something to sort it out?

It's typical PMQs strategy (going back to when it started). Dont answer the question, turn it around to the person asking.

Plus for the current climate it just plays straight into the perception that a lot of the current issues were originated within Labour's government.

ruttyboy

It's typical PMQs strategy (going back to when it started). Dont answer the question, turn it around to the person asking.

Plus for the current climate it just plays straight into the perception that a lot of the current issues were originated within Labour's government.

I get that, but why does everyone just accept it? No one in the opposition just stands up and says, "Fine, whatever, if not doing anything about it is so terrible, how does that excuse you doing nothing about it now?"

They are literally pointing out just how similar they are to something they are deriding!

There's no way you'd accept that kind of answer from a child, but apparently we're supposed to from the Prime Minister...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom