• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's any consolation, plenty of people in the general public are pissed at the way doctors are treated too. Unfortunately we have a government that doesn't seem to give a shit about the general public either.

There is no consolation. I'm watching my workplace being methodically and systematically destroyed. The government are paving the way for privatisation with non-sensical arguments while the newspapers and public idly watch. Why else is Hunt is hell bent on providing routine services in a weekend at a cheap cost when there's barely enough staff to do it on weekdays and no other country does it? It's nothing about patient care or safety. It is purely about renting out more NHS resources to private companies.

Woof! I'll reply properly when I get home but that statistic was between 2007 - 2012 - not sure where you got 2008 from?

Oh my bad, it fell by 1.5% over 5 years according to the OECD report that statement uses as evidence (with no mention of sample size or location of the survey btw). Despite evidence to the contrary from the people actually running these food banks.

So which is it? You're presenting two conflicting arguments here; that more people are using food banks because more people are being made aware of them by the job centre and the likes, and that fewer people are using them as reported by OECD?

Let me simplify it even further for you - with all you've read, do you believe poor people and disabled people are better off, worse off or the same due to Conservative policies? Simple question, give us a simple answer.

Oh my bad, it fell by 1.5% over 5 years according to the OECD report that statement uses as evidence (with no mention of sample size or location of the survey btw). Despite evidence to the contrary from the people actually running these food banks.

So which is it? You're presenting two conflicting arguments here; that more people are using food banks because more people are being made aware of them by the job centre and the likes, and that fewer people are using them as reported by OECD?

I'm not presenting that latter argument at all? That's not what the OECD is saying, either. What did you read that made you think that? They're saying that fewer people are responding that they're struggling to pay for food. And it was Gallup's World Poll that's the source for that data; they don't have sample information on their website but they are a "proper polling company" so I feel some faith that, at the very least, there's a reasonable expectation that the data's not wildly off.

At the same time, we can clearly see that use of food banks has gone up. Neither I nor the OECD are denying this, despite what the fictional argument you've clearly had with me in your head might suggest. If we combine these two, seemingly contrasting bits of evidence with a few other facts, we lead to my conclusion. These facts include the number 1 reason, beyond all else, that people visit food banks is because of a delay in their benefits being provided. IDS - and obviously you can disregard him as a source if you want, but to my knowledge we have no actual numbers - has claimed that the rate of benefits being paid on time has gone up since Labour's time in government. There's also the fact that - and you mentioned before a 12-week transitionary period - that a visit to the food bank gives someone a 3-day package of food, and the average number of times a recipient attends is twice a year, suggests to me that the problems that food banks are addressing are very short term. Also, there's the fact that job centres did not previously refer people to food banks (and even if they'd wanted to, they didn't exist).

To me, this all adds up to me thinking that the people now visiting food banks always needed help, they just didn't get that help from food banks before. Perhaps they got emergency loans, emergency relief from job centres or relied more on families. Either way, I don't think the alternative of having local communities provide for people in need is a bad solution.

Let me simplify it even further for you - with all you've read, do you believe poor people and disabled people are better off, worse off or the same due to Conservative policies? Simple question, give us a simple answer.

Whilst I'm grateful for the patronising tone of the question - you know, so I can understand it - it's really not that simple. Poor people and disabled people are overwhelmingly the largest direct beneficiaries of direct government spending when it comes to things like welfare (especially if we work on the assumption that cutting public pensions will simply create more poor people tomorrow, and the day after that, when they realise that what they thought they'd be getting is now lower and they've no time to make 'alternative arrangements'), access to services etc Even things like cuts to policing disproportionately affect poorer people. So, ceteris paribus, they're likely to be worse off after a sustained period of cuts. But this is where it gets complicated, right? Your question was a simple one, but not a useful one; Are these vulnerable people better, worse or the same as a result of Conservative policies? Well, going into the 2010 election Alistair Darling's proposed cuts were actually more significant than Osborne ended up actually doing ("The next spending review will be the toughest we have had for 20 years. To me, cutting the borrowing was never negotiable. Gordon accepts that, he knows that.") Nick "Swingeing Cuts" Clegg offered £15bn of cuts before the election before promptly becoming an enabler. So have the Conservative policies made those most vulnerable worse off? Ceteris paribus, yes, I suspect so - but did the Lib Dems and Labour have some way of cutting public spending without affecting the largest recipients of it?

Then there's another complication - I kept saying ceteris paribus up there for a reason. Since 2010, 1,750,000 people are working who were not working in 2010. Some of them will be on minimum wage and some will be on 0-hour contracts (which I also defend, btw - aren't I a bastard?) but I imagine that for most of these people, they're better off and they're no longer considered amongst the poorest in society. How about the people who were working on minimum wage and paying tax in 2010 who saw their income tax slide down and save them literally hundreds of pounds every year? They're better off, even if they are still subjectively poor. How about the fact that more students from disadvantaged areas are going to university than ever before? And for those not suited to university, the number of apprenticeships almost doubled between 2010 and now (and the number of apprenticeships started by disabled people or those with learning disabilities also doubled).

We started this discussion because of a casual throwing-out of the idea that Tory policies kill people. You asked me a "simple" question about whether poor and disabled people were better off as a follow up to your apparently not-simple-enough question of whether the policies are more likely to cause someone to kill themselves or less likely. Well, for the person who now has a job who didn't before, or the kid who will be the first in their family to go to university, or for the person to whom the income tax cut will be the difference between their kids getting presents at christmas or not, it may well have a tangible, positive impact in their life.

But anyway, I went to go respond to your last post but I found myself constantly starting each paragraph with "Well, actually, that's not what I said..." and it's a fucking Sunday, man. I'm not here to have fictitious arguments which involve me peddling back from things that I didn't even say. When I'm wrong, I'm more than happy to admit it - I've knelt down on all fours in front of Crab and conducted the infamous Tory "hog suck" enough times to attest to that - but I really don't appreciate arguments being put in my mouth I'm not making, and the bizarrely patronising and hostile attitude doesn't enamour me to it either. I get that this gets you bubbled up and that's great and everything, just, ya know, take some time to read what I'm writing.

Boris backing Leave whilst being the Mayor of a London is disgusting. Talk about abdicating your job for party politics.

Everyone's talking about that like it's a fact but I dunno. I know Peston said it but I'm not so sure. I'm not saying he's going to come out for In, I just don't think it's a foregone conclusion. Cameron made a pretty overt pining for him on Marr this morning which seems like a weird thing to do if you already know he's for Out (it makes Cam look weak if Boris snubs him). So the question is, does Peston know something Cameron doesn't?

We started this discussion because of a casual throwing-out of the idea that Tory policies kill people.

Or as I'd put it, the handwaving away of actual, documented human deaths directly attributed to those policies based on nothing more than your party allegiance.

People I knew are dead, someone another poster in this thread knew is dead, because of their treatment at the hands of ATOS and the DWP and you have the nerve to sit there telling us how we shouldn't blame the people and policies we know helped them reach the decisions they did.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
so d cameron thinks that nye bevan would have supported the tory party's plans for the NHS......i wonder if thats the same nye bevan who said "no amount of cajolery can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party....They are lower than vermin."

to be fair i suppose when you've achieved nothing of value to the majority of society in a century it probably makes sense to start claiming the intellectual stewardship of other, better, people

Lirlond

What was with Camerons "get a real suit" response? He could at least pretend to give a damn. Conduct by the tories in the HoC has been terrible lately.

^it was in response to Corbyn when challenged about the NHS.

Idiot Cameron still talking about reducing deaths by doing nothing to address excess deaths.Still unable to interpret research, still talking about routine services (NOT URGENT) and still resorting to insults. No member of government or the Department of Health have agreed to a televised debate with a doctor. Because they know they're peddling bullshit.

What was with Camerons "get a real suit" response? He could at least pretend to give a damn. Conduct by the tories in the HoC has been terrible lately.

I think we're well into the land of the batty when people are invoking the imagined opinions of someone's parents, no?

Maledict

I think we're well into the land of the batty when people are invoking the imagined opinions of someone's parents, no?

Nah, Corbyn's original point was related to the fact Cameron's mother has signed an anti-austerity petition. So he did actually have a reason to mention it, but as usual it was clumsily done, and Cameron had a much better response prepared.

As the guardian put it, when PMQs has a row about the NHS in the middle of the biggest NHS industrial actions in decades, and Cameron smacks Corbyn around the room, it shows how bad things are going for Labour.

Nah, Corbyn's original point was related to the fact Cameron's mother has signed an anti-austerity petition. So he did actually have a reason to mention it, but as usual it was clumsily done, and Cameron had a much better response prepared.

Insulting somebody's suit and telling them to sing the national anthem is a good response? It came off as gross, petulant and snobbish to me.

As the guardian put it, when PMQs has a row about the NHS in the middle of the biggest NHS industrial actions in decades, and Cameron smacks Corbyn around the room, it shows how bad things are going for Labour.

Yeah but the actual thing he was replying to was someone (not Corbyn) literally shouting "ask your mother". PMQs is theatre, basically. I know you know that btw, it's just kind of funny how basically everyone gets to say that their favoured leader came out better from the exchange which, ultimately, had nothing to do with policy.

ruttyboy

Yeah but the actual thing he was replying to was someone (not Corbyn) literally shouting "ask your mother". PMQs is theatre, basically. I know you know that btw, it's just kind of funny how basically everyone gets to say that their favoured leader came out better from the exchange which, ultimately, had nothing to do with policy.

No matter how hard they claim to work, it's not surprising that people think politicians are a waste of air when the public facing display of governance is 'yo mama' jokes and zingers.

No matter how hard they claim to work, it's not surprising that people think politicians are a waste of air when the public facing display of governance is 'yo mama' jokes and zingers.

It would be amazing if that was literally all PMQs was. The speakers calls on the member for Uxbridge and South Ruislip who asks "Would the Prime Minister agree with me that his mother's so fat that she's caused leading scientists to question the nature of helio-centrism? And would the Prime Minister like to join me in congratulating his father for actually being able to hike his way into her vagina to impregnate her?"

ORDER! ORDER! PLEASE LET THE HONOURABLE MEMBER SPEAK.

Uzzy

Or just scrap it entirely. It's nothing but weekly political theatre, as opposed to being a method for Parliament to hold the Prime Minister to account.

Corbyn has too much belief in arguments and facts being a way to win political debates and change opinions (Not that he's great at arguments or facts.) Nowadays it's all about cutting jibes and witty soundbites.

Jezbollah

It just shows the gulf between Mr 2K Suits Dave and the guy opposite him that stands for the common man.

If he stands for the common man, why is his approval ratings so low?

Or just scrap it entirely. It's nothing but weekly political theatre, as opposed to being a method for Parliament to hold the Prime Minister to account.

Corbyn has too much belief in arguments and facts being a way to win political debates and change opinions (Not that he's great at arguments or facts.) Nowadays it's all about cutting jibes and witty soundbites.

It's always been about cutting jibes and witty soundbites, going back decades.

It's always been about cutting jibes and witty soundbites, going back decades.

Yeah, exactly. Actually holding the government to account is the purpose of select committees and individual minister questions. This is the only thing that's guaranteed to get on TV and have column inches written about it. It's never been of constitutional importance.

nib95

Banned

The media and public (partly as a result of the former) are quite conservative at the moment, many common folk prioritising the issues of immigration and the EU above other things, so naturally many are going to be less pro Corbyn. Hell, The Sun and Mail, by far the two most popular papers in the UK in terms of readership (online and print combined), especially to the working class demographic, are both extremely right wing.

Spookie

I live in one of the most deprived postcodes in the UK and can confirm the common man is a fucking moron. If you asked the local person round here why there is so few social housing and why the NHS is so chronically under funded in this area. They won't say because it's a labour stronghold for the last 10 years and the tories have about as much chance of getting a majority as finding the cure for cancer tomorrow. So have slashed the council budget to shreds over the last couple of years meaning that they have to turn street lights off to save money. No instead they will blame immigrants in an area where there are literally a 1:40 ratio of ethnic to white populations and has one of the largest over 70 populations in the last survey.

The common man likes to think the problem isn't his own due to a poor education and a huge lack of investment in the local area. No, it's someone elses fault.

I think they've answered the question for me, Mr Tory ;)

I will add that YouGov is used by The Sun and I don't trust polls too much after last year's elections.

I did see a post elsewhere mentioning that Cameron's suits cost more than he expects a sick person to live on per year. Hopefully Labour run with this but they probably won't.

Maledict

They won't because it's a bad idea. A very bad idea. I say this as a centre left person, but politics of pure envy does not play well outside the base. Just because the prime minister has expensive clothes doesn't mean it's a good route of attack.

They won't because it's a bad idea. A very bad idea. I say this as a centre left person, but politics of pure envy does not play well outside the base. Just because the prime minister has expensive clothes doesn't mean it's a good route of attack.

Fair, I was more looking at it from the recent cuts this week view point but can see your point entirely.

I think they've answered the question for me, Mr Tory ;)

oh no you di'unt.

I will add that YouGov is used by The Sun and I don't trust polls too much after last year's elections.

the problem with what happened last year wasn't the polling it was the modelling - transforming what people said into voteshare projections. Their actual data was basically fine and within the margin of error, they just interpreted it wrongly. With these particular stats, they are simply providing us with the data rather than actually using it to drive any models.

Also, Yougov is, whoever their clients are, a member of the British Polling Council and therefore have to openly show their methodology - obviously you can disagree with their methodology but I think it's generally agreed that any members of the BPC aren't massaging results for their various clients.

I live in one of the most deprived postcodes in the UK and can confirm the common man is a fucking moron. If you asked the local person round here why there is so few social housing and why the NHS is so chronically under funded in this area. They won't say because it's a labour stronghold for the last 10 years and the tories have about as much chance of getting a majority as finding the cure for cancer tomorrow. So have slashed the council budget to shreds over the last couple of years meaning that they have to turn street lights off to save money. No instead they will blame immigrants in an area where there are literally a 1:40 ratio of ethnic to white populations and has one of the largest over 70 populations in the last survey.

The common man likes to think the problem isn't his own due to a poor education and a huge lack of investment in the local area. No, it's someone elses fault.

Don't disagree with the rest, but there's nothing wrong with turning off/dimming streetlights to cut energy bills and their carbon footprint, cuts or not. If it's done properly, of course.

oh no you di'unt.

the problem with what happened last year wasn't the polling it was the modelling - transforming what people said into voteshare projections. Their actual data was basically fine and within the margin of error, they just interpreted it wrongly. With these particular stats, they are simply providing us with the data rather than actually using it to drive any models.

Also, Yougov is, whoever their clients are, a member of the British Polling Council and therefore have to openly show their methodology - obviously you can disagree with their methodology but I think it's generally agreed that any members of the BPC aren't massaging results for their various clients.

I say it in jest. From reading politic threads on Gaf, Dan sticks out as Mr Conservative to me from all the posters.

I'm still unsure of YouGov despite what you mention due to that business with The Sun and Refugees last year. I used Ipso-Mori's poll about the public backing the Junior Doctors only yesterday but then when I saw they asked around 800 members of the public, I decided not to refer to it anymore.

Jezbollah

I say it in jest. From reading politic threads on Gaf, Dan sticks out as Mr Conservative to me from all the posters.

I don't know how I should take that ;)

I consider myself a soft centre-right - but I don't blindly vote for any party - they need to earn my vote (along with everyone else's).. I do also think that there are a lot of Conservative leaning posters on Gaf who choose not to post here or elsewhere - Zomg mentioned a long time ago that he thinks there's not much room for "wrong thought" here - and I think he's right to some extent.

Jezbollah

That's a shame that some feel they can't post, I don't think I've seen it go to anything nasty from poster to poster here. No your mum jokes yet!

Yeah I think given people here are obviously very passionate in what they believe in, I think in general we get along ok all things considered.

I'm happy that this thread tends to stay away from personal insults (generally) when there are disagreements. That's not all that common on the internet, especially when talking politics.

Spookie

Don't disagree with the rest, but there's nothing wrong with turning off/dimming streetlights to cut energy bills and their carbon footprint, cuts or not. If it's done properly, of course.

Things are so shitty they've began to turn off every other light in some accident black spots. In a somewhat unusual situation the local green party is partitioning to get them turned back on! Which is, uh, odd.

Wirral, next to liverpool. Old ship building town before things went to shit.
Ah. Well knowing a little about what they're doing with street lighting there, I don't think they'll be under too much pressure to turn off lights to unsafe levels in high risk areas just to squeeze out savings, they'll be making enough from all the LED conversions and dimming rather than turning off completely.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/28/osborne-stealth-tax-subterfuge-storm-clouds

mmm stealth taxes yummy

As someone who actually liked Corbyn at this point I'd rather have Chuka Ummana be the leader and slap around Dave and Gideon decently enough at PMQs. Thanks to Corbyn the opposition has been essentially defanged, I don't even think Cameron wants to even bother showing up for PMQs anymore since they basically have another decade of neoliberal Tory rule guaranteed

Maledict

I think it goes through phases. We aren't overwhelmingly left like the US Poligaf threads are. ATM I think it's pretty even.

To be fair to our American friends, that's because Maamerican politics doesnt break down to left and right anymore - it's sane versus insane nowadays. Even the 'moderate' republican presidential candidates are batshit lunatics which would make make Nigel Firage look like a communist.

Hopefully at some point there will be a realignment in American politics, because the divide has become so vast, and one party so broken, it's hard to see how it continues like this for much longer.

To be fair to our American friends, that's because Maamerican politics doesnt break down to left and right anymore - it's sane versus insane nowadays. Even the 'moderate' republican presidential candidates are batshit lunatics which would make make Nigel Firage look like a communist.

Hopefully at some point there will be a realignment in American politics, because the divide has become so vast, and one party so broken, it's hard to see how it continues like this for much longer.

As true as that is, I've seen a lot of sentiment like this that seems to ignore the fact that the Republican routinely win control of the house. Like, I get that the demographics for presidential election turnout is different and goes a long way to explain the difference in result, but it's now sufficiently routine that it's just "the way it is" and I think that, as long as the GOP continues to win big in the Congressional races, they'll be hesitant to change too much about their party in an attempt to also win the Presidential seat lest they end up with neither and a democratic slam dunk.

Maledict

As true as that is, I've seen a lot of sentiment like this that seems to ignore the fact that the Republican routinely win control of the house. Like, I get that the demographics for presidential election turnout is different and goes a long way to explain the difference in result, but it's now sufficiently routine that it's just "the way it is" and I think that, as long as the GOP continues to win big in the Congressional races, they'll be hesitant to change too much about their party in an attempt to also win the Presidential seat lest they end up with neither and a democratic slam dunk.

Oh trust me, I'm very well aware of how much the congressional control affects things. The only real options to break out of that are either a democratic win in 2020 for the census and district setting process, or a complete split based off Trump winning the nomination.

Between gerrymandering and low mid-term turnout, the republicans can hold onto congress for a long time despite being locked out of the White House, and thanks to the bizarre American system of government plus no penalties for being obstructive it's doubtful anything will change anytime soon barring a trump realignment.

ruttyboy

So, it seems they're going to have another go at that snooper's charter thing, this time "with added privacy!"™

Depressing as the whole thing is, I'm getting a small amount of mirth from every expert I hear talk about how ludicrous and unworkable it is use the diplomatic phrase, "It's almost as if Theresa May doesn't know how the internet works."

Yeah, "almost".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom