• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0rk

iOS then covers any mobile gaming you require, look at the iPad now, it's getting Frozen Synapse, BG:EE, Warhammer and Dungeons of Dredmore as well as the best version of M:TG. The iPhone has more games than you will ever get to play, a lot of crap but the good stuff is oh so very good.

Questionable :p Do you play any real Magic or just the wallet safe version?

Or just use google maps on Safari, which has the same features as the app did?

I'm pretty sure the web app is substantially worse than what was there before.

SmokyDave

im honestly coming to the conclusion, at least at the moment, that PC + IOS gaming is all you need.
Agreed, although I also need my Vita to fill the gap inbetween.

Having to open up the browser n' shit in a survival situation.. Come on son its fast actions that save life's.

S3 > Shitmaphone five
This is the single greatest 'anti-iPhone' post I've ever read. I mean, it's total bollocks, but at least it's creative bollocks.

When it comes to gaming, Galaxy S3 is a Quickshot Supervision. Less support than Nora Batty's tights. The iPhone, on the other hand, is a COLOSSUS. In block caps.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Having to open up the browser n' shit in a survival situation.. Come on son its fast actions that save life's.

S3 > Shitmaphone five

Dude. pls. stop it.

My Facebook timeline is already getting shitted up with Android owners going spastic about various iOS stuff, we don't need it here too. It's funny, these people are so much more interested in iOS than I am as an iPhone/iPad user. Just let it go man, it's fine, we're all fine.

The map thing is bullshit for sure though :mad:

ETA: I'm due to upgrade in a couple of months - thinking about just going for the 4S and saving myself a ton. There's nothing on the 5 that's setting my balls on fire, all I really need is a new phone because my home button is dying. Might even just get another 4, I don't play any games on it any more as it is.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I love this holiday. I always aim too high and end up with a shit costume though.

Well I didn't know anyone who really took part in it growing up so I never bothered with a costume.

That and you get dodgy kids walking around using it as an excuse to cause a nuisance. We just lock the outer doors and just forget about it.

SKINNER!

Banned
I love this holiday. I always aim too high and end up with a shit costume though.

I haven't went out for Halloween since 2009 which - I'm constantly told - is an incredible shame considering how fun it can be. I just can't be bothered spending all that time and effort on a costume.

Suairyu

Banned
Smartphones universally have shit battery life and I'm considering getting a mid-range one next so the battery will last longer. Just browsing the web can drain batteries in a couple of hours in the high end ones. Ridiculous. I avoid smartphone gaming for these reasons.

Dude. pls. stop it.

My Facebook timeline is already getting shitted up with Android owners going spastic about various iOS stuff, we don't need it here too. It's funny, these people are so much more interested in iOS than I am as an iPhone/iPad user. Just let it go man, it's fine, we're all fine.

The map thing is bullshit for sure though :mad:

ETA: I'm due to upgrade in a couple of months - thinking about just going for the 4S and saving myself a ton. There's nothing on the 5 that's setting my balls on fire, all I really need is a new phone because my home button is dying. Might even just get another 4, I don't play any games on it any more as it is.

Yeah I've noticed this too, it's mainly people who don't have an iPhone that are slagging off the new iOS. It doesn't affect you, why do you care? Oh that's right because you know the iPhone is superior but you didn't get one because you wanted to be 'edgy and unique' and now you'll welcome any excuse to prove you were right in not getting one, even though you weren't.

Get the 5 though dude, there are some great deals at the mo where you can get one free or for not that much, plus loads of minutes/texts/downloads for a reasonable amount a month.

Funny you say that about the home button, the bloke is having the same issue with his 4. He's had it just over a year.

I make the best costumes ever. Go out for Halloween every year, it's a great excuse to scare the bejeezus out of people and get fecked.

Mikeside

Yeah I've noticed this too, it's mainly people who don't have an iPhone that are slagging off the new iOS. It doesn't affect you, why do you care? Oh that's right because you know the iPhone is superior but you didn't get one because you wanted to be 'edgy and unique' and now you'll welcome any excuse to prove you were right in not getting one, even though you weren't.
Get the 5 though dude, there are some great deals at the mo where you can get one free or for not that much, plus loads of minutes/texts/downloads for a reasonable amount a month.

If you guys are going to shit on people for bitching about iOS (which is fair enough, those people lack lives) then you could at least not bitch about Android.

I'm an Android user with a phone and a tablet & I'm very happy with both and could argue all day about why I'd rather have them than an iWhatever, but I don't say anything because the flame wars are so tiresome, but it has to work both ways.

If we can't agree to disagree, then we're no better than Kentpaul.
:p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Halloween is always a double edged sword. I like it a lot but my friends are notoriously flaky and most of the time will bail before plans can be laid. Kinda temped to come up to London for the evening, get a hotel or something. Go to a club, get messy, not worry about getting home again.

Where is fun in London on Halloween? Anyone know?

Mikeside

Smartphones universally have shit battery life and I'm considering getting a mid-range one next so the battery will last longer. Just browsing the web can drain batteries in a couple of hours in the high end ones. Ridiculous. I avoid smartphone gaming for these reasons.

For decent battery life, don't get a mid-range smartphone. Get a top tier one and find a decent undervolt for it. It'll be underperforming to the level of one of the mid-range ones, but with much better battery life than the mid range and the option to clock it back up and play some games.

SteveWD40

If there was an Andriod phone with the build quality of the iPhone I might make the leap, I tend to use mostly google aps anyway. iOS "feels" smoother to me (yes, used both) and the phone is on another level of build, other than that it's down to preference and frankly Android is better for virtue of being open.

siddhu33

O2 is doing a £26 a month contract for the iPhone 5. You'll have to pony up a large amount of money before hand, but you do get unlimited(well, fair use) minutes and texts, with 1GB of data. And of course, O2 has visual voicemail, which is awesome.

Mikeside

If there was an Andriod phone with the build quality of the iPhone I might make the leap, I tend to use mostly google aps anyway. iOS "feels" smoother to me (yes, used both) and the phone is on another level of build, other than that it's down to preference and frankly Android is better for virtue of being open.

Eh, I'd argue that objectively neither is better as each is ideal for a different type of user.

I love to tinker with things, get them exactly how I want them. Replace default apps, fuck with my homescreen, undervolt etc so iOS is a nightmare for me.

SmokyDave, for example, probably doesn't give a shit about this stuff. He wants a solid performer out of the box with a huge variety of games etc to choose from and a simple OS that he doesn't have to think about.

Horses for courses, let's all just be friends.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
What PRACTICAL applications does Android being open benefit though? It's an argument I see again and again but I can't think of how I'd use it outside of a few instances.

Home screen changing?
Rooting? I don't even know what this is, let alone why I'd want to do it.
I can see the ability to save data directly where you'd like it could be useful, but it's a very small niche that could find use for it.

So, Android owners, so that I have ammo to fight my idiot friends with, how else you you use the openess of the platform? Because if we can't find any reasons, I'm going to have to call bullshit on the buzzwords :p

EDIT: I see Mike has a few more reasons. Wossa undervolt?

Chinner

Banned
yeah O2 are doing really good deals for iPhone 5. I'm with them for them for the 4s and for a similair price plan I only get 300 minutes and 500mb of intenet. if I had money to waste I'd upgrade to an iPhone 5 but otherwise I'm just waiting till the 5s or whatever.

siddhu33

yeah O2 are doing really good deals for iPhone 5. I'm with them for them for the 4s and for a similair price plan I only get 300 minutes and 500mb of intenet. if I had money to waste I'd upgrade to an iPhone 5 but otherwise I'm just waiting till the 5s or whatever.

And I still have my old orange PAYG phone for Orange Wednesday :p

Lirlond

Undervolting is turning down the phones power so the battery lasts longer, basically.

Its perfect for the s3, which does not need to chuck so much power into its processor 90% of the time.

Mikeside

What PRACTICAL applications does Android being open benefit though? It's an argument I see again and again but I can't think of how I'd use it outside of a few instances.

Home screen changing?
Rooting? I don't even know what this is, let alone why I'd want to do it.
I can see the ability to save data directly where you'd like it could be useful, but it's a very small niche that could find use for it.

So, Android owners, so that I have ammo to fight my idiot friends with, how else you you use the openess of the platform? Because if we can't find any reasons, I'm going to have to call bullshit on the buzzwords :p

EDIT: I see Mike has a few more reasons. Wossa undervolt?

Undervolting is effectively downclocking the CPU and GPU so that you get more battery life out of your device. You can get adaptive ones that will downclock when you're not using, but then beef up again when you're playing a game or whatever.

Home screen changing is important to me because I can completely customize the widgets, apps and information that comes up on my homescreen(s) - which means I can get rid of anything I'm not going to use and add information/apps I need to make using my phone a lot more efficient. It's also great to mess around and come up with a great homescreen that looks awesome too (see more here).

Rooting is something you can do with both Android and iOS - it just gives you admin rights to change the actual system files on your device. It's a means to an end when it comes to cusomizing/undervolting etc.

I also love that there are a variety of different ROMs I can put on my Android device, which are essentially different versions of the OS, all tailored to different uses. For example, there's one 'brand' called MIUI which is for people who want an almost-iOS experience, which is slick and good looking.

The one I use is called Paranoid Android - the big draw of that is that it has something called 'Hybrid Mode' which means I can set the system and each individual app to run in either it's phone version or it's tablet version - I can also adjust the DPI etc.

Again, this is all stuff that I use a LOT on my devices and I wouldn't switch to iOS because I'd be without it. A lot of people really love these aspects of owning an Android device.

Equally, a lot of people would read this and think "er... so what?" and they're absolutely right to do so.

SteveWD40

Let's all agree that mobile phones peaked with the Nokia 8210 and leave it there.

Seriously, Orange were actually buying them back off users when you upgraded they were so popular and the battery was good for days. Plus it had snake, the pinnacle of mobile gaming.

69181473_1-Pictures-of-nokia-8210.jpg

You could even store the dinky fucker in your rectum if needed, great for Prison :)

im honestly coming to the conclusion, at least at the moment, that PC + IOS gaming is all you need.

Yeah, in a perfect world! Unfortunately, many of us (e.g.: people under 20) are skint, so consoles it is.

Also, Nintendo, but that's clearly a bad word around these parts.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Undervolting is effectively downclocking the CPU and GPU so that you get more battery life out of your device. You can get adaptive ones that will downclock when you're not using, but then beef up again when you're playing a game or whatever.

Home screen changing is important to me because I can completely customize the widgets, apps and information that comes up on my homescreen(s) - which means I can get rid of anything I'm not going to use and add information/apps I need to make using my phone a lot more efficient. It's also great to mess around and come up with a great homescreen that looks awesome too (see more here).

Rooting is something you can do with both Android and iOS - it just gives you admin rights to change the actual system files on your device. It's a means to an end when it comes to cusomizing/undervolting etc.

I also love that there are a variety of different ROMs I can put on my Android device, which are essentially different versions of the OS, all tailored to different uses. For example, there's one 'brand' called MIUI which is for people who want an almost-iOS experience, which is slick and good looking.

The one I use is called Paranoid Android - the big draw of that is that it has something called 'Hybrid Mode' which means I can set the system and each individual app to run in either it's phone version or it's tablet version - I can also adjust the DPI etc.

Again, this is all stuff that I use a LOT on my devices and I wouldn't switch to iOS because I'd be without it. A lot of people really love these aspects of owning an Android device.

Equally, a lot of people would read this and think "er... so what?" and they're absolutely right to do so.

Awesome, thanks for the education :) this means that I can tell my friends who only use facebook to stfu with their talk of openess when I ask about their OS and voltage settings. ammo is good to have.

Chinner

Banned
Yeah, in a perfect world! Unfortunately, many of us (e.g.: people under 20) are skint, so consoles it is.

I don't mean this in a bad way, but in terms of my taste in videogames I really feel like I've grown out of Nintendo. not saying its bad, just not for me nowadays.

I don't mean this in a bad way, but in terms of my taste in videogames I really feel like I've grown out of Nintendo. not saying its bad, just not for me nowadays.

That's fair. I imagine the same will happen to me sooner or later- hell, I'm getting into SEGA stuff lately, so there's clearly some sort of sea change happening in my gaming tastes- but for now I find it hard to shake off their appeal. I've got a PS3 and a laptop that's good enough to run indie PC stuff, so it's not like I'm stuck with them either- I'm pretty broad at the moment.

SmokyDave

Eh, I'd argue that objectively neither is better as each is ideal for a different type of user.

I love to tinker with things, get them exactly how I want them. Replace default apps, fuck with my homescreen, undervolt etc so iOS is a nightmare for me.

SmokyDave, for example, probably doesn't give a shit about this stuff. He wants a solid performer out of the box with a huge variety of games etc to choose from and a simple OS that he doesn't have to think about.

Horses for courses, let's all just be friends.
This is pretty much exactly my position, indeed!

Despite my constant championing of iOS gaming, I think there are huge advantages to going the Android route. Don't tell anyone though.

Thing is, after the initial outlay, PC & iOS gaming is so much cheaper!

I buy my Vita games digitally and the prices are kinda eye-watering when I think what I could've bought on Steam or the app store.

Mikeside

Awesome, thanks for the education :) this means that I can tell my friends who only use facebook to stfu with their talk of openess when I ask about their OS and voltage settings. ammo is good to have.

No worries - glad UK Gaf is a bit more open to actual discussion about these things, unlike the wastelands out there in the rest of OT.

Musha, sorry if I sounded like I was bitching directly at you, back then. It was more aimed at the general bickering outside of this thread, at least it was supposed to be!

So, where is this suicide thread?

SteveWD40

Suicide threads are usually cries for help, get a load of people telling you how great you are and that you shouldn't do it = self esteem boost.

Thing is, after the initial outlay, PC & iOS gaming is so much cheaper!

I buy my Vita games digitally and the prices are kinda eye-watering when I think what I could've bought on Steam or the app store.

TBH, I'm going to try and make it so that next-gen, I've got a bitchin' PC and a Wii U. That's all I want. The potential of the next consoles don't excite me at all, the only reason I've got a PS3 is due to the wasteland on the Wii and the gradual build-up of fantastic exclusives for it. But PC makes more sense next-gen- I'm already using Steam a lot already. (I don't give a damn about iOS, my 3DS is all I need)

But we'll see. Maybe once I start placement I'll be able to afford the entrance fee.

siddhu33

No worries - glad UK Gaf is a bit more open to actual discussion about these things, unlike the wastelands out there in the rest of OT.

Musha, sorry if I sounded like I was bitching directly at you, back then. It was more aimed at the general bickering outside of this thread, at least it was supposed to be!

So, where is this suicide thread?

It's the one about the guys who are taking the piss out of him on facebook.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm guessing its the one about the guy being 30 and his ex being 23.

I thought it was this one where he's bullied through Facebook - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492814

the bit that made my head spin was that one of the bullies is his friend, and he bought his friend lunch every day for a term, and then one time his friend stole his debit card and bought a mcrib and won't pay him back and I'm like JESUS CHRIST KID, MAN THE FUCK UP.

I might start a suicide thread, I could always stand to feel better about myself on a rainy monday afternoon.

SKINNER!

Banned
I thought it was this one where he's bullied through Facebook - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492814

oh OH! My bad. I stand corrected.

the bit that made my head spin was that one of the bullies is his friend, and he bought his friend lunch every day for a term, and then one time his friend stole his debit card and bought a mcrib and won't pay him back and I'm like JESUS CHRIST KID, MAN THE FUCK UP.

It happens quite frequently. I recall this one guy back in high school who would hang out with the "popular" kids and they'd consistanly treat him like dirt. Pranks, derogatory remarks, the odd beat-up, consistant hurtful mocking, they make him do things that's considered uncomfortable etc. He took it all and never even talked back to then. I mean, there's a difference between your friends having a friendly quick/cheap laugh at your expense and being consistently shat on. One day, I approached him and asked him "Look, clearly these guys aren't very friendly to you and there's no chance you can change that. Why do you even bother hanging out with him? He simply replied "Because I'd be on my own but I didn't".....woah. Yeah, I didn't know what to make of that back then and even now.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm guessing its the one about the guy being 30 and his ex being 23.

hadn't seen this thread. The last line made me lol "Everything reminds me of her. I miss her smile, laugh, her cooking, her voice... "

... her ironing, her washing, the way she wiped my pubes from the toilet bowl ...

ahh, lost love, ever so bitter a taste...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm too transparent. People would know that I don't really need help if I started a suicide thread.

Also I see nothing wrong with a 7 year difference at that age. There are people out there with far greater numbers.

Mr. Sam

I'm just imagining a guy in a varsity jacket. He posts that, turns from the computer, laughing, and high fives all his bros - who are (naturally) also wearing varsity jackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom