• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
251172_441415932564041_1546961424_n.jpg

He's already got plenty in his warchest! :p

My favourite MMA fighter of all time. Love watching this Dutch/English bastard fight.

ZQEnC.jpg

SKINNER!

Banned
Goddammit Overeem! Stop stealing all the womanz! If that's the result of taking 'roids then I better start injecting myself. Any tips on that Kentpaul?

And also wrt Islam, I think there is a major issue where extremists are more motivated by their hatred of the west than their religion per se. Religion is an excuse IMO, but their political stance has a logic to it that we as westerners can't really understand. This is not to say I excuse them at all but it's so much more complicated than religion=bad.

I definitely agree with you there. In terms of the Middle East conflict, I get told time and time again that the Israelis and Palestinians don't get along primarly because of their religious beliefs. Jews and Muslims have never got along! ever!! I refuse to believe this primarily for historical reasons. Sure, I guess religion does play a little role in the conflict but it is most definitely not the main reason/catalyst. People with different beliefs are living just fine in that region. Religion's being used as an excuse.

Juicy Bob

But those guys ARE extremist idiots giving a billion people a bad name. I've seen those protests but I'm also very aware of the media and its ability to distort reality. Remember the protests in London a few years back where those people were smashing windows. A handful of violent idiots, 10 at most, surrounded by 50 cameraman and photographers. What we see if not always what is happening.

And wrt angry muslims, did you also see the counter protests (which, by all accounts dwarfed the extremists) saying 'not in our name'? Vastly underreported since there isn't an angry bearded brown man promising death to infidels.

And also wrt Islam, I think there is a major issue where extremists are more motivated by their hatred of the west than their religion per se. Religion is an excuse IMO, but their political stance has a logic to it that we as westerners can't really understand. This is not to say I excuse them at all but it's so much more complicated than religion=bad.
Exactly. Why didn't we hear about these protests?

qJB3z.jpg

yLYqr.jpg

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Pockets don't look big enough to hold an S3 and a pack of 20 superking Mayfairs.

I don't smoke. I will tap off friends I'm drunk and social smoking.

Link me to the jackets UK gaf is wearing this winter, I need idea's. I suck at clothing shopping.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

That's actually quite nice. I really need some new clothes, my old ones are getting quite raggedy now.

Where abouts do you get your clothes from Mike? I think we're a similar size, but I can never find stuff to fit me. The last two XL t-shirts I bought online have broken my heart by being way way too short (like, belly exposing short). Where's a good place to shop if you want to look vaguely alternative/geeky but you are not a skinny jeremy?

I also need to get an overcoat for my suit since I am a MAN now who wears SUITS. I had to wear my old coat today in the rain and it doesn't really work over a jacket...!

Mikeside

That's actually quite nice. I really need some new clothes, my old ones are getting quite raggedy now.

Where abouts do you get your clothes from Mike? I think we're a similar size, but I can never find stuff to fit me. The last two XL t-shirts I bought online have broken my heart by being way way too short (like, belly exposing short). Where's a good place to shop if you want to look vaguely alternative/geeky but you are not a skinny jeremy?

I also need to get an overcoat for my suit since I am a MAN now who wears SUITS. I had to wear my old coat today in the rain and it doesn't really work over a jacket...!

Found a discount code so I've ordered it.

To be honest, I usually end up buying random t-shirts from places like Threadless.com, everything else from places like Tesco, but I'm trying to make more of an effort with nice clothes like this.

I have the exact same problem with my portly stature making everything too short, thus showing off an unwanted amount of belly. Let me know if you find what you're looking for and I'll do the same - always looking for nice alt/geeky clothes that aren't obnoxious or just plain shit.

Suz reckons we'll easily make it to your gig, by the way :)

The problem with ambivalence in the face of nonsensical views is it allows the extremists within a given group to flourish. This is not just true of religious people, but it does apply especially strongly to their case.

We drone attack madrassas in Pakistan to curb terrorism, but not a single fuck is given about the same institutions in the UK. More attention needs to paid to stamping out extremism Islam in the UK, and therein lies the problem. The answer to this question is unpalatable to too many people, for years we've been told that multi-culturalism is great, but in reality it has fostered hate groups and terrorists in parts of Birmingham, Bradford and Tower Hamlets, I remember the "gay free zones". The answer is, and has always been, integration of Muslim people into UK society.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You mean you want to go for the hipster look? You don't have to be ashamed about it Jedeye ;)

Found a discount code so I've ordered it.

To be honest, I usually end up buying random t-shirts from places like Threadless.com, everything else from places like Tesco, but I'm trying to make more of an effort with nice clothes like this.

I have the exact same problem with my portly stature making everything too short, thus showing off an unwanted amount of belly. Let me know if you find what you're looking for and I'll do the same - always looking for nice alt/geeky clothes that aren't obnoxious or just plain shit.

Suz reckons we'll easily make it to your gig, by the way :)

Sweet! I don't know how well the tickets are selling so I'll ask the guys on the door about numbers and if they're running low I'll get them to hold you some.

And I'll check out threadless too, I always forget about online shopping for clothes as a first choice. Either that or I need to start googling 'fat man clothes shops' :p

You couldn't be more Hoxton if you tried. Do you play synth by any chance? Wear glasses with no lenses?

Oh Jedeye, I thought you were better than that :( Don't go all Hoxton on us.

SKINNER!

Banned
What would be the best way to get from Gatwick to Earl's Court? I'm arriving early tomorrow morning. Probably should have booked earlier for a train but it would be a bit longer on the bus.:

Gatwick Express to Victoria Station then from Victoria Station to Earl's Court? That's how I'd do it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You couldn't be more Hoxton if you tried. Do you play synth by any chance? Wear glasses with no lenses?

What is the Hoxton of which you speak??

I need to dress appropriately for who I am. I play bass in a post rock band, read comic books and yes, I do happen to be a dab hand on a synth :p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
i like this too actually. need a winter jacket. need to avoid looking like a student but i think thats inevitable being young and all.

Wear a suit then, students don't wear suits because they're jobshy.

And it's a good way of making a name for yourself around campus.

SKINNER!

Banned
ok, maybe not a proper full suit but just a suit jacket with jeans/khaki trousers then? Probably give off a weird goth/emo look if you pick the wrong suit jacket though.

"I'm telling you, it's jobs. We gotta get jobs. Then we get the khakis. Then we get the chicks."

ha @ me giving fashion tips.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
but im not a student bro and going by your advice id just walk around a university campus i dont belong in wearing a suit and then the students would dub me the suit man.

are you a mentalist

also kentpaul i think you should try this look:
http://www.asos.com/Anerkjendt/Aner...13663&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Black

Ah sorry, I thought you were a student, being a young un. What do you do, so I can update my mental image behind the duck? Definitely wear a suit and walk round campus, uni girls are easy. Apparently. They weren't when I was at uni :|

Mikeside

Ehh, I think it looks pretty cool, don't know what Hoxton is, but I'm assuming it's hipsterish?

I don't think you can be fat and a hipster so I'm OK

I am 29. Married, mortgage, good job. Music nerd. Comics nerd. Games nerd. THC over alcohol. Boxers.

There, now you know me :)

EDIT: actually that was kinda fun. Anyone else feel like sharing who they are in tiny sentences?

25. Long term relationship. Underpaid IT Engineer/Warehouse Manager. Music nerd, gaming nerd, technology nerd, aspiring comics nerd. Wannabe writer. THC friendly. Boxers over briefs. Shoegaze over thrash metal. OCD.

Btw, I'd give my left nut to have any kind of instrument skills so I could play in a post rock band. Don't suppose you teach guitar? :p

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Primark in Newcastle's on an overhaul at the moment. They're like tripling the size of it, already way bigger inside apparently. Might pop in after work, this is the bad thing about loan day, too much temptation to spend, I do love spendin'.

Mikeside

Primark in Newcastle's on an overhaul at the moment. They're like tripling the size of it, already way bigger inside apparently. Might pop in after work, this is the bad thing about loan day, too much temptation to spend, I do love spendin'.

Amen.
It's like a sickness.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ehh, I think it looks pretty cool, don't know what Hoxton is, but I'm assuming it's hipsterish?

I don't think you can be fat and a hipster so I'm OK

25. Long term relationship. Underpaid IT Engineer/Warehouse Manager. Music nerd, gaming nerd, technology nerd, aspiring comics nerd. Wannabe writer. THC friendly. Boxers over briefs. Shoegaze over thrash metal. OCD.

Btw, I'd give my left nut to have any kind of instrument skills so I could play in a post rock band. Don't suppose you teach guitar? :p

This is very true. When I saw Slow Club in Brick Lane I felt very very out of place. But they had shitty beards so I won.

And I'm afraid I can't even play guitar let alone teach it EDIT: I call bass 'lazy guitar', all you need is rhythm, none of them pasky chords confusing things. Although, my good friend and bandmate IS a guitar teacher. I'll ask her if she has any slots open if you like?

Mikeside

This is very true. When I saw Slow Club in Brick Lane I felt very very out of place. But they had shitty beards so I won.

And I'm afraid I can't even play guitar let alone teach it. Although, my good friend and bandmate IS a guitar teacher. I'll ask her if she has any slots open if you like?

That would be awesome - I'll hit you up on Facebook for more info on this at some point, thanks :)

I did a Music Tech course in college - at the time I was 100% going to get into studio production. I was pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. My plan was to look towards opening an indie studio for local musicians, so I did a lot of recording (unofficially) at the college, but I got so sick of all the bullshit from the local bands who felt entitled to this and that - really killed any interest at the time, which is a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom