• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
In slough they have a GAME right opposite a CEX. Didn't do the maths but I wonder if you could buy up all GAMEs preowned hardware, walk across the street and trade in for a profit?

PaulLFC

Game Group shares at 3.96p a share now. 12% drop today. Looks like the firesale didn't do anything for shareholder confidence.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
fuckers still havent processed my XBL points buy when using up the last of my reward points. Can just see this all going tits up, they cancel all reward points and I'll never have the chance to use them.

SO LONG GAME. YOU WONT BE MISSED.

NHale

1158655197698fs0.gif

Oh wait...

micster

Had complete polar experiences in GAME's today. In Birmingham the lass who served me was still the ultra annoying GAME employee pushing literally anything she could at the till. Plug and Play kit, batteries, preorders (lol) and hell even a PS3 chatpad. Left with a bad taste in my mouth. Then went to my hometown on my way home and got a £50 PSP Go. Really friendly guy on the till, didnt push anything on me, even told me to get a case for it from ebay cos of how cheap they are.

I guess the morale is fuck the Bullring store.

PaulLFC

yes. Got a 250GB 360 slim for £130. Not bad, although HMV are doing a new one for £199 with mass effect 3 free, so if you want that game anyway it might be better to get it new.
My brother wanted a PS3 but I don't know if the £50 saving is enough to justify no warranty if Game go out of business within a year.

Edit: Just got this email re: Castlevania...

Dear Paul,

Thank you for ordering Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Collectors Edition from GAME.co.uk.

Unfortunately, there was an error in our system which caused this product to appear on our website.
This product has never been sold on GAME.co.uk and should not have been displayed.

As a result we have cancelled your order and no money has been taken from your account.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

If you would like to get in contact with us regarding your order please fill out our contact form:
http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...sView?catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151

Thanks again for ordering from GAME.co.uk.

The Customer Service Team
GAME.co.uk
Expected really, but lol at the reason.

Adamm

Awww email from GAME sayin my castlevania order has been cancelled.
It was put on the site in 'error' apparently :(

SmokyDave

Awww email from GAME sayin my castlevania order has been cancelled.
It was put on the site in 'error' apparently :(

Me too:

Thank you for ordering Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Collectors Edition from GAME.co.uk.

Unfortunately, there was an error in our system which caused this product to appear on our website.
This product has never been sold on GAME.co.uk and should not have been displayed.

I don't believe them.

PaulLFC

"Never been sold and never should have been displayed"? Funny how the 360 version's still listed on the site then! I expected a cancellation, but at least for an honest reason.

Brera

Banned
From posts on here and other places, it looks like GAME has revitalised their sales! The more games people buy, the less they'll buy from HMV etc!

My share price is less than 4p again. Let it hit 2p and I'm gonna buy another £1000 worth. I'll have to borrow the cash from zonga till payday.

SmokyDave

From posts on here and other places, it looks like GAME has revitalised their sales! The more games people buy, the less they'll buy from HMV etc!

My share price is less than 4p again. Let it hit 2p and I'm gonna buy another £1000 worth. I'll have to borrow the cash from zonga till payday.

Wait 2 weeks and you can have all their shares for a grand.

Walshicus

It's getting a bit boring now.

Linkified

Anyway if Gamestop buys Game do they keep Game label for UK or do they instead rebrand to Gamestop

The quest to rebrand the chain as BRERA/BreraStation continues...

Qasiel

Picked up

Bayonetta - £4.95
God Of War collection - £17.95
Tingle's Rosy Rupee Land - £7.95
PSP console - £29.99

The Mrs bought:

Timeshift - £2.99
Red Faction - £1.99
Rock Band Beatles - 99p
Fitness with Mel B (she's a Spice Girl fan...) - £3.98
Soul Calibur Legends - £2.98

Haven't had my cancellation email about Castlevania yet, but I'm not holding out much hope.

The mood was pretty somber in the shop, but the one guy I know in there seemed as cheerful as ever.

Numpt3

I think we should all take a little inspiration from Brera and chip in a few quid each to buy some shares, maybe Gaf could own Game?

laughinghomer.gif

birdshock.gif

Brera

Banned
Just been browsing my finance forums. Quite a few nervous people around. But there have been quite a few big buys today, plenty of people buying in.

Looks to me that the price is being brought down by the market makers and next week a few more big buys will bring it to around 5p.

The next 2 weeks are gonna be bumpy

Murkas

"Unfortunately, there was an error in our system which caused this product to appear on our website.
This product has never been sold on GAME.co.uk and should not have been displayed."

But I bought it from you when it first came out!

Anyway if Gamestop buys Game do they keep Game label for UK or do they instead rebrand to Gamestop

First i bloody hope someone else buy them but if they do it be stupid to pour millions into an already struggling business to rebrand plus gamestop did until recently have a small presence in the uk and the one shop i went in (birmingham) was horrible so i dont think the gamestop name would do them any good at all

Just been browsing my finance forums. Quite a few nervous people around. But there have been quite a few big buys today, plenty of people buying in.

Looks to me that the price is being brought down by the market makers and next week a few more big buys will bring it to around 5p.

Please stop with the updates on your shares. The joke is over now.

Dave Long

Banned
Put a fork in 'em. This kind of liquidation does not save companies. It prepares their people to cash out and then the real liquidators come in.

I don't need to buy anything, other than AAA games like ME3, now for fucking ages.

They're flooding the market with near-giveaway games.
I love a bargain, but can't help wondering if this isn't fucking over game sales in the immediate future, as well as CEX and Grainger, and hey, every other retailer. Trade/exchange price on all these £2-£8 games will hit rock bottom.
Nasty little parting gift to the rest of their retail sector, if i'm not just talking bollocks.

Yeah, I think there'll be nasty repercussions for the entire sector in the UK. They're also causing future problems for themselves should they survive this. This flood of cheap games will saturate a large part of the market for a significant timeframe, especially among the majority of the market that just buys a few games each year. I'm starting to think this is just a final cash grab and bail by the upper management.

Suppersalmon

Neo Member
I went into my local game today picked up a PSP for £30 also got Final Fantasy IV collection for £5

also got Brutal legend, Bulletstorm and Medal of Honor for £8.

some of the staff were still thinking this is a temporary thing to shift as much stock as possible and they were still asking me if i wanted to sign up for a reward card

First i bloody hope someone else buy them but if they do it be stupid to pour millions into an already struggling business to rebrand plus gamestop did until recently have a small presence in the uk and the one shop i went in (birmingham) was horrible so i dont think the gamestop name would do them any good at all

The shop in birmingham is in an awful location, it may have had decent footfall but it was surrounded by cheap shops and empty units. if gamestop was to buy a portion of game they would have prime high st locationsm plenty of marketing opportunities and no established games retail store.

Aslong as it was managed well it would be successful.

Just please, if you're being serious, don't put any more money into it.

The share price is falling because people are bailing out, it's only down from here on out.

Buy moar.

DiGiKerot

Had a browse around my local Gamestation, nothing I fancied, but I guess that's my fault for buying too much at release.

One of the guys behind the counter was wearing an N7 shirt, which kind of seemed like a bit of a dick move considering how many people were likely to show up to no Mass Effect 3 today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom