• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitoriginal

If anyone visits Game today can you check out the Kingdoms of Amalur price? I visited my local shop yesterday but it was still at £32.

Stubo

This sale was always likely to happen but has to be cause for concern. I wasn't too worried when it was just preowned games being marked down, but now points cards and even consoles too?

The next few weeks will be very important for the UK games market, if we'll personally miss the company or not.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
halo 3
halo 3 odst
Halo reach
Mass effect
Mass effect 2
bioshock
Bioshock2
gears 2
gears 3
pgr 3
pgr 4

£66. Not bad :D

Now I just need a 360 ;)

Gav

Lego Batman, R6:Vegas, Bioshock 2, Prince of Persia : £9.92.

Yep, im happy with that for a quick trip at lunch.

The Mrs is going to have a look in the shop near her work later today, see what else we can pick up!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The MCV-GAME shilling continues.

Honestly, MCV have gone way down in my estimations over this whole thing. Their site has read like it's been written by the GAME press office these last few weeks.

Mcv wants to support a strong retail sector in the UK. At the moment game is the big story around that

bitoriginal

Castlevania back to £49.99, here's hoping they honour the earlier orders!

I'd be surprised if they did honour it tbh. I expect Game probably do have a fair few copies of this edition laying around though. I remember due to production issues the special edition wasn't available on release day.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I wish as I'd actually like to play it, but the game was on hot uk deals earlier so no doubt the funhaters there have ordered 100 copies each.

Those guys can really take the fun out of it. Hate it when they do that.

Linkified

Honestly, MCV have gone way down in my estimations over this whole thing. Their site has read like it's been written by the GAME press office these last few weeks.

That tweet was hardly shilling, more like an underhanded jab as I took it at Game Group's management.

Linkified

As someone said, they are a magazine for Videogame Retailers. When GAME Group implode so will they, most likely.

Nah there is a cross section of the games industry that receive it, for instance when I went to Eutechnyx for an interview they had them in the lobby area. So its not just retailers who buy it.

If you're lucky enough to find them in store you can pick up 800 for £2.98 or 1200 for £4.98 I believe. I posted links in the cheap arse thread :)

Doesn't look like it's everywhere. My dad phoned me up to ask me a favour and happened to be at Hempstead Valley in Gillingham which has a GAME store and I in turn asked for a favour of him to see the prices. Whilst on the phone to me he asked them to double check the prices and tehy scanned in a 1200pt card and it came back as still being £9.99.

Plops!

I could really use some more MS points, too :(

Linkified

It'll be the loss of a few thousand subscriptions though, overnight. Pretty scary, especially for a magazine these days.

They did put out the subscriber numbers.I'll try and find them...

The weekly print edition of the magazine is read by 14,000 retailers and trade professionals every week, either via mailed copy, browser edition or on iPad.

About us link

Plus unlike Game Group they have diversified to point where by they most likely will be unaffected. Plus its about £150 for a weekly magazine subscription for UK and I think its over £200 for ROTW.

https://twitter.com/#!/Chris_Dring/status/178102163732561920

EDIT: Yeah i didn't spot the" last year! bit :p. Still, still news i guess

LOL 550 stores by 2013!?! More like none!

Seriously though, this is the problem with Game management, they should be looking at 300-350 stores in the UK an merging their staff so that the most knowledgeable are kept and the less so sacked. If Game had just 300 locations in the country, a well motivated (better paid) and extremely well informed work force they could make a go of it and become baseline profitable by the end of 2013/14 (with one off profits for new gen start) and the creditors would hold back until then. With 550 stores there is absolutely no chance that they will see a profit until the next generation has started in earnest next year but then they will fall right back into the abyss once the hype has died down and old problems resurface.

LordAlu

Doesn't look like it's everywhere. My dad phoned me up to ask me a favour and happened to be at Hempstead Valley in Gillingham which has a GAME store and I in turn asked for a favour of him to see the prices. Whilst on the phone to me he asked them to double check the prices and tehy scanned in a 1200pt card and it came back as still being £9.99.

Plops!

The cheaper points thing is only actual physical points cards, which to be honest no store should have left as they should have used them all up ages ago and all be using the electronic system.

teeny

Plops!

The Maidstone store is the same. Dont worry, though, I think they are using this week to get everything repriced. The Spring Clean branding has only just gone up, so obv its going to be a bit of a rush and repricing all of the preowned stock is more of a priority, I should imagine.

The cheaper points thing is only actual physical points cards, which to be honest no store should have left as they should have used them all up ages ago and all be using the electronic system.

It was an actual physical card the guy scanned in. I could hear the bloop of the till from the other end of the phone. Me in office, dad in store at the tills.

The Maidstone store is the same. Dont worry, though, I think they are using this week to get everything repriced. The Spring Clean branding has only just gone up, so obv its going to be a bit of a rush and repricing all of the preowned stock is more of a priority, I should imagine.

I may have to get up early and nip to GAME and Gamestation in Chatham then to see if anything's going on there. I wanna get more Rock Band songs in preparation for the annual Rawkfest we have for my friends birthday every year (this year's one is tomorrow evening).

The reason for that tweet was that a few websites were reporting the closure of 60 stores as a new story - he was explaining that it's old.

never knew there were any GAF members who lived in Maidstone too :D

Grabbed Soul Calibur V CE on xbox for £39.98' was stickered at £49.98 but got the girl to scan it as I didnt fancy paying £35 fof normal edition.

Some stuff has changed today I noticed, Marvel UA2 went down by £2, they had MW3 stickeredto hell. They were in the process of stickering new stock, Sonic Generations was in the sale at £26.98 lol. There as just a load of crap tbh, glad I used my credit but still wouldve preferred SSX! now i need to decide whether to keep soul cali ce or sell it and get ssx.

It was an actual physical card the guy scanned in. I could hear the bloop of the till from the other end of the phone. Me in office, dad in store at the tills.
The offer is only on boxed Microsoft points, what the guy scanned in would have been one of the digital points cards that are displayed on the shop floor. Stores should have used all the remaining boxed points cards at Christmas so the chances of finding one now is very, very slim.

teeny

I may have to get up early and nip to GAME and Gamestation in Chatham then to see if anything's going on there. I wanna get more Rock Band songs in preparation for the annual Rawkfest we have for my friends birthday every year (this year's one is tomorrow evening).

Good luck! Please let me know if they do have reduced points. If so, I may have to pop in over the weekend.

never knew there were any GAF members who lived in Maidstone too :D

Its a great coincidence :) (Actually, I work in Maidstone and live in West Malling. But its near as dammit.)

SmokyDave

Fancy swapping fathers? If I sent mine to get me a PSN card, he'd come back with a grin and a copy of 'The Thing' on Xbox 1.

The offer is only on boxed Microsoft points, what the guy scanned in would have been one of the digital points cards that are displayed on the shop floor. Stores should have used all the remaining boxed points cards at Christmas so the chances of finding one now is very, very slim.

I dunno, he did say to me "Hang on, he's just fiddling with keys" so I assumed he got a card from the cabinet.

Good luck! Please let me know if they do have reduced points. If so, I may have to pop in over the weekend.

Will do

Fancy swapping fathers? If I sent mine to get me a PSN card, he'd come back with a grin and a copy of 'The Thing' on Xbox 1.

I have conditioned him well, but if I wasn't dictating to him his lines over the phone he probably would have come out with a Binweevils card or something.

Brera

Banned

MCV just report the facts, it's a trade paper not a tabloid.

Facts are facts. They've reported good stuff and bad stuff. Just because it's not 100% bad or some nuggets of hope that you don't want to hear due to your blinkered hatred for the company doesn't make it a bad paper.

Let's not forget theyve also been breaking most of the bad news!

Holy FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

A mate just emailed me this pic, the entire haul cost him £39.

mJmmA.jpg

:O :O :O

liger05

I went to oxford street. Live points were not reduced or headsets.

They did have skylanders on the 3DS though for £59.99. Incompetence.

Went to a different Game and GS today whilst I was in the area. I think it says more about the levels of unemployment in the town than anything else, but the stores there seemed much more busy than in Liverpool yesterday. Most were doing the same as me, picking through the masses of crap for anything good. More of the prices were updated than the Liverpool stores too. Barely any shelf space dedicated to new stuff.

I saw loads of people trading stuff in at GS, more than those buying. One guy sold in a 3DS and around a dozen PS3 games- must have been taking advantage of the trade in deals, as they were all going for cash. There's probably also a lot of them taking advantage of differences in the trade in prices (people there will do anything for a few quid).

Forgot that someone I knew in school worked at one of the stores. It was weird to think he will probably be out of a job in a month or two.

Walked out with Monster Hunter for £10, Pikmin Wii for £2, Front Mission Evolved £2, and Vanquish for £3. No sign of any God of War games, which I would have grabbed on sight.
SWOTOR special edition could still be found there, £50 from £130. If only I had money to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom