• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shop in birmingham is in an awful location, it may have had decent footfall but it was surrounded by cheap shops and empty units. if gamestop was to buy a portion of game they would have prime high st locationsm plenty of marketing opportunities and no established games retail store.

Aslong as it was managed well it would be successful.

Im not saying gamestop couldnt make a success out of the business but i know they are more reviled in the us than game are in the uk so dont sound good to me and as i was saying regarding a rebrand, the gamestop in birmingham just felt so cheap and nasty inside but with skyhigh prices

Murkas

Lets see if there are any bargains in bham city centre.......

It's the same deals you will have seen in this thread, portable consoles for £30-£50, preowned stuff for a couple of quid etc

The sales on the new games are more expensive than what you can expect for them online.

Im not saying gamestop couldnt make a success out of the business but i know they are more reviled in the us than game are in the uk so dont sound good to me and as i was saying regarding a rebrand, the gamestop in birmingham just felt so cheap and nasty inside but with skyhigh prices

I went to Brum Gamestop the other day to see what they were like because I haven't visited them in years, turns out it was closed down and is now a different shop (the different shop also looked like it was closed down). Surprised I never heard about them closing.

Consider however that 90% of the people who contribute to games 1.6 billion turnover dont see game as a rip off and will just as likely spend their cash in gamespot if thats what happens. Even if the prices are a pound or two more which i doubt would be the case.

Bleepey

Holy FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

A mate just emailed me this pic, the entire haul cost him £39.

mJmmA.jpg

:O :O :O

Meh, you should see my last haul at Morrisons.

Guitar Hero Metallica
Fable 3 (disc missing my brother is getting an asskicking)
Splinter Cell Convication
Mafia 2
MEtro 2033 * 2
Portal 2
MOH: dudebro
Metroid other M
I am almost certain i had a POP game

Still nothing to match my haul at Currys a couple months back. Heaps of games 97p each. I bought around 20 games and traded them in for a 3DS with Mario :p

(I did keep about 5 games though, I'm not just an exploiter!)

Consider however that 90% of the people who contribute to games 1.6 billion turnover dont see game as a rip off and will just as likely spend their cash in gamespot if thats what happens. Even if the prices are a pound or two more which i doubt would be the case.

All i'm saying is i'd much rather someone else bought it

Goron2000

best junior ever
It's the same deals you will have seen in this thread, portable consoles for £30-£50, preowned stuff for a couple of quid etc

The sales on the new games are more expensive than what you can expect for them online.

I went to Brum Gamestop the other day to see what they were like because I haven't visited them in years, turns out it was closed down and is now a different shop (the different shop also looked like it was closed down). Surprised I never heard about them closing.

What? The big one on new street? R.I.P greatest gaming store there ever was (5 years ago before the GAME buyout)

edit: derp i read Gamestop as Gamestation, ignore me. Although, i stand by my statement of it being the best game shop ever.

dc89

I went into my local game today picked up a PSP for £30 also got Final Fantasy IV collection for £5

also got Brutal legend, Bulletstorm and Medal of Honor for £8.

some of the staff were still thinking this is a temporary thing to shift as much stock as possible and they were still asking me if i wanted to sign up for a reward card

What kind of condition is the PSP in? I have a Vita but DAMN!

Calibur

I couldn't resist, damn my weakness!

Start the Party 4.98
The Shoot 4.98
Bulletstorm special edition 7.98
Dragon Age Origins: 4.98
Fifa 11 98p
Fifa 2010 World Cup 98p
Medal of Honor Limited Edition (with Frontline HD) 2.98
Official Move gun shell 48p
Dual Move/navcon charging station 48p (!)
John Daley Prostroke Golf (for move) 1.49
Yakuza 4 (only copy left) 7.98
Motorstorm Apocolypse 7.98
Infamous II 7.98
Assassins Creed Brotherhood 7.98
£65 total, should keep me going for the next couple of years. Incidentally, a few of these (Bulletstorm, Infamous, Motorstorm, the move games) are sealed and new!

Gamestation, staffed by kids, was useless, spotty manager just shrugged and rolled her eyes at me when i told her that the hardware prices should be cheaper today.
GAME, staffed by MEN, was much better, but the hardware prices aren't low enough for me (pre-owned 40GB PS3 phat for £99), so i passed.

No word on atmosphere as all staff were so busy stickering a gigantic pile of games each, in between fending off some really annoyed customers asking where the FUCK their copy of Mass Effect 3 is. They kept pointing them to the GAME website, like thats any fucking use!

edit: shelves were clearing out fast. Some guy went in with a sports bag and carried a 5ft high pile of games to the till. Most things i got were the last copy on the shelf, maybe they'll put out more. No copies of Shadows of the Damned, Castlevania, or Space Marine, which is what i went in for mainly.

Infamous II £7.98 now that is pretty damn good!

No PSP cuts in my shops sadly. Had to make do with spending my credit on live points, Inazuma Eleven, and Bulletstorm.

Staff was still really annoying about pushing pre-orders, had to give an overly polite response whilst showcasing the most incredulous grimace ever seen by mankind.

xxczx

Had a browse around my local Gamestation, nothing I fancied, but I guess that's my fault for buying too much at release.

One of the guys behind the counter was wearing an N7 shirt, which kind of seemed like a bit of a dick move considering how many people were likely to show up to no Mass Effect 3 today.
Jokes on him, he can't take a copy home with him for free!

Sale is doing really well. Bought four cheap games, had to stop myself from buying more. I've had ten or so customers coming up to me today saying "So, when are you closing then?" It's really depressing, I don't know any more than them / you guys and I don't want to lose my job. :(

Hopefully it'll turn out okay, whether Game Stop ends up buying the brand or whatever. I just know me (and my colleagues) would be royally screwed if we all lost our jobs at the minute.

Also just to note, we had a lot of people coming in today and asking about Mass Effect 3 (and its pre-orders.) While I don't think it's going to kill EA, many of them didn't even know it was out due to us not stocking it...

prowler_ said:
Jokes on him, he can't take a copy home with him for free!

We can't do that anyway... :X

Just been browsing my finance forums. Quite a few nervous people around. But there have been quite a few big buys today, plenty of people buying in.

Looks to me that the price is being brought down by the market makers and next week a few more big buys will bring it to around 5p.

The next 2 weeks are gonna be bumpy

Brera
A fool and his money...
(Today, 04:33 PM)

EDIT:
Seriously man, if the fact they are going into administration within a fortnight is hitting the trade press, there is basically no hope left for them.

The administrators will come in, find mostly empty warehouses with unsold copies of FIFA: Road To The World Cup for Gamecube lying around and a couple of crates of T-Shirts and blank reward cards, then shut the whole thing down.

You might as well just go down to Ladbrokes and put £1000 on every long odds horse they have, except that has a better chance of a return on investment.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My brother wanted a PS3 but I don't know if the £50 saving is enough to justify no warranty if Game go out of business within a year.

Edit: Just got this email re: Castlevania...

Expected really, but lol at the reason.

most likely Sony would sort you out if something went wrong

micster

Mine was spotless, right at the front too.
Stock after this weekend will be at an all time low. I cant see how they'll last longer than a week or two.
If they carry on this lark of selling games for less than they paid for them they'll be out of business by Monday.

They're giving an extra third on trades, hoping to get more used stock I'm guessing. A lass gave me a Battlefield giftcard and said it, so I dont know if you have to have one of them cards or what

They're giving an extra third on trades, hoping to get more used stock I'm guessing. A lass gave me a Battlefield giftcard and said it, so I dont know if you have to have one of them cards or what

No, you don't. GameStation are giving you an extra £5 on every two games you trade in (as long as they sell for £2.99 or more in the shop.) Obviously stuff like Gears of War 2 (now £1.98 in the sale) will not work with this offer. Offer might be a bit different in GAME... not sure. :X

Brera
A fool and his money...
(Today, 04:33 PM)

EDIT:
Seriously man, if the fact they are going into administration within a fortnight is hitting the trade press, there is basically no hope left for them.

The administrators will come in, find mostly empty warehouses with unsold copies of FIFA: Road To The World Cup for Gamecube lying around and a couple of crates of T-Shirts and blank reward cards, then shut the whole thing down.

You might as well just go down to Ladbrokes and put £1000 on every long odds horse they have, except that has a better chance of a return on investment.

Brera, listen to this man. Sell you Game shares an invest elsewhere. If you want a risky investment go for HMV, they are a much better bet than Game. Movies and music are more passing trade friendly than games.

Anyway, from the latest reports it looks like Game are done for. If the directors are saying two weeks to d-day, it means Game have one week before they go into administration. I have heard that Sony are going to buy back their stock of new PS3s and they are taking back their Vita stock before the end of next week so that it doesn't get discounted and devalued so close to its launch. They know they can sue Game, but if Game go bankrupt then there will be no company to sue and win damages from. Better to reposes their wares before the end. I would not be surprised if Nintendo and Microsoft take similar action with their hardware to make sure that Game can't poison the well too much, which is what they have now successfully done for console software.

I emailed a publisher rep today and he was very, very irritated with the liquidation sale and they are now considering pulling back completely from Game as a retaliatory measure. He thought, like me, that the best course of action for Game to unload their stacks and stacks of used games was to sell bulk lots to CEX rather than firesale them to consumers who now have a taste for super cheap games. Game have doomed themselves, publishers, developers and other retailers by cheapening the industry in this manner. Game would have got a higher price from selling bulk lots to CEX and other competitors and they would have made sure that games don't become commoditised like DVDs and CDs.

Without support from this publisher that I don't see Game surviving beyond the end of next week.

PaulLFC

Just been browsing my finance forums. Quite a few nervous people around. But there have been quite a few big buys today, plenty of people buying in.

Looks to me that the price is being brought down by the market makers and next week a few more big buys will bring it to around 5p.

The next 2 weeks are gonna be bumpy
The same finance site where you got the finance figures from for the "warchest"? The ones that aren't related to the actual stock exchange in any way whatsoever and whose advice seems to bear no resemblence to anything said by anybody who actually knows what they're talking about? The share price is at 3.51p, which I think is the lowest it's been since the start of this difficulty for Game.

As has been said already, if even the trade press, the previously pro-Game MCV are saying that administration is close, it appears that will be the case.
checkeredknight said:
I've had ten or so customers coming up to me today saying "So, when are you closing then?" It's really depressing, I don't know any more than them / you guys and I don't want to lose my job. :(
It's you guys working for this company I feel sorry for, I hope you manage to find another job quickly, at least when you do the management can't be any more incompetent than they are at Game. It's unbelievable how whatever happens now they'll basically escape this with no consequences and huge payouts, while the actual workers who were mostly dedicated and helpful will be screwed over. Not a nice situation.

jonno394

Loads of 360 consoles and games in the Birmingham gamestation. Was tempted to pick one up but then realised things might go cheaper by the start of next week if they are still alive and kicking (yes i'm a bastard!)

Managed to get Flower Sun and Rain for the DS for 98p and PS3 Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition new for £20 (cheapest i've seen it anywhere0.

I know you probably can't say, but I'm guessing that's either EA or Activision. If they lose either FIFA or CoD they're screwed.

er, Game aren't stocking any EA titles any way. Acti won't be pulling support, just can't see it. they want their games to reach as many as people as possible and their games tend to keep their value months after release.

whoever it is, i wouldn't take the rambling of a rep all too seriously. they tend to talk big but rarely have any real influence.

jonno394

Annoyingly it looked like it was discounted on PS3 and full-price on 360 in the store I checked out, I'll be trying Gamestation tomorrow.

I bought standard Fallout NV for £4 yesterday....not much of waste seeing how ridiculously cheap it was, but still..

ZERO

Apparently the Vitas have been loaned to GAME so they are still property of Sony. No discounts will occur

Yep all Sony products have a "property of sony until sold to the customer" sticker on them. GAME wanted the other publishers to do the same but as you can tell they didn't agree to that. I suspect Sony only did that because of the Vita launch.

Yep all Sony products have a "property of sony until sold to the customer" sticker on them. GAME wanted the other publishers to do the same but as you can tell they didn't agree to that. I suspect Sony only did that because of the Vita launch.

well, if my friend is to be believed, sony still have faith in game as they've already shipped twisted metal to them. the store he bought those titles from had a few behind the counter but they weren't allowed to sell them.

They are. They're not stocking any EA titles post-SSX, any before that, including SSX, Kingdoms of Amalur and FIFA, are stocked. Don't know to what level they actually have stock, but there is some.

thanks for the correction, i thought they stopped stocking all ea titles.

Wow, a 320GB PS3 for £99?! Shame it's out of stock.

Will pop into the Halesowen branch tomorrow and see what I can pick up with my reward points. Going to feel very much like a vulture, but I don't really want to be £15 out.

well, if my friend is to be believed, sony still have faith in game as they've already shipped twisted metal to them. the store he bought those titles from had a few behind the counter but they weren't allowed to sell them.

Makes sense gives TM more exposure to help boost sales of the game. Plus they know that worst case senerio is that they will just get the games back to sell on to another retailer, its almost a no lose situation for them

LordAlu

Correct. Twisted Metal has arrived and is ready for launch on the 16th. Unit 13 also arrived, and even more surprisingly we got Metal Gear Solid 3DS for our pre-orders.

Makes sense gives TM more exposure to help boost sales of the game. Plus they know that worst case senerio is that they will just get the games back to sell on to another retailer, its almost a no lose situation for them

yep, which makes other developers/publishers thinking about dropping them a little silly. if they can reach the same agreement that sony have in place, it's win/win for them.

Patryn

yep, which makes other developers/publishers thinking about dropping them a little silly. if they can reach the same agreement that sony have in place, it's win/win for them.

Which is why this current sale is counter-productive. Companies may worry that GAME will just slash the hell out of the price and sell it for whatever they can get.

Sounds like in many ways, the companies are caught in a prisoner's dilemma. If they all band together and did it as a group, GAME would probably be fine. But if only one does it, there's a chance that they may get burned as the current executives try to squeeze out as much cash from the company as possible for their golden parachutes.

Which is why this current sale is counter-productive. Companies may worry that GAME will just slash the hell out of the price and sell it for whatever they can get.

Sounds like in many ways, the companies are caught in a prisoner's dilemma. If they all band together and did it as a group, GAME would probably be fine. But if only one does it, there's a chance that they may get burned as the current executives try to squeeze out as much cash from the company as possible for their golden parachutes.

i can't seem the slashing new title prices as much as they have pre-owned, but i can see the point you're making and it's definitely a valid one.

saying that though, the worry, for now at least, from developers/publishers is misplaced. game are only slashing games, consoles, etc on pre-owned stuff, until they take further steps and start slashing new titles to insane prices, there's not much to worry about.

but i can see why some might be worried, but the worry, in my opinion at least, is currently pointless.

BUT, more pubs/devs should be doing what sony are doing and only loaning game new games, etc. at least that way they can have their games on the shelves but not have to worry about them firesaling the lot.

I have a feeling that a lot of publishers and retailers are having crisis meetings about this, they seem to have caught everyone by surprise with this, and it could have real repercussions for the industry.
GAME going down is bad enough for many, but them "poisoning the well" like this is many publishers worst nightmare, i imagine.

if game do go down, that means hmv is next in line right? they are just as uncompetitive as game and i doubt their dvd/music sales will keep them afloat.

if game do go down, that means hmv is next in line right? they are just as uncompetitive as game and i doubt their dvd/music sales will keep them afloat.

To be honest game going down could actually just be what hmv need, they will get short term trouble from games firesale but give it a couple of months and once game have gone hmv sales should be through the roof, however as its quite likely IMO than some sort of games retail business will rise from GAME's ashes it might not be so great for hmv after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom