• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Gamestation and Game today in Cambridge;

Gamestation was my first stop, only 2 staff including the manager on shift when I went in. He seemed to be keeping his spirits up, and was telling customers in front of me that he was pretty sure this Gamestop buyout was a sure thing - I suspect that's his opinion rather than anything based on insider knowledge. He was friendly and pretty upbeat, so that was nice at least (actually the staff in both branches seemed to be in good spirits today)

Apparently they still needed to price stuff down for the sale, he mentioned it was going to be a long day in that regard. So I guess some stores may not be as prompt in getting the prices down as others are. Gamestation was also a lot more quiet than the GAME branch, maybe because some people don't realize GAME = Gamestation still

Anyway my haul from Gamestation;

Inazuma Eleven DS (£9.99)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness DS (£7.99)
Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii) (£1.98)

I then went to GAME, which seemed a lot more busy - so I assume word had spread of the sale already (though GAME are in a busy part of town too, but it's not usually that busy). Staff there seemed to be working on repricing at the time we were there, but handling quite a few sales.

(I think I must be pretty lucky, the only dodgy GAME store closed last year, the Gamestation and the staff in Lion Yard GAME have always been a great bunch, will miss their respective stores if it all goes down the pan)

Haul from GAME;

Batallion Wars 2 Wii (£1.98)
Super Mario Strikers Wii (£1.99)
Gears of War 2 (£1.99)

The Gears of War 2 copy turned out to be the Xbox Classics copy with all the Maps and Campaigns included. Which was pretty neat : )

Start of thread: 'GAME sucks balls!'

End of thread: 'Man I am going to miss GAME, they had such amazing offers.'

Not sure this is ENTIRELY true, I think there's a certain sense of mourning for the current situation and potential incoming loss of not one, but two gaming stores on the high street. The only people who really hate GAME and Gamestation are those who hold a grudge, live near shitty stores or had a bad experience (which can happen with any retailer really). GAME's Head Office is the cause of their own misfortune, maybe they could of checked quality of service was top notch in all stores, and adjusted their priorities in some ways. But when it comes down to it, many people are losing a store they loved to browse at least, and those working in the stores might lose their jobs. Plus it's yet another group of stores closing on the UK's increasingly bare high street.

I have no problem giving my money for some cheap games and giving the chain at least some kind of lifeline, if only for the sake of the staff working at the local stores. I just hope they do something worthwhile with the borrowed time they have from this sale

tmarques

Can't be bothered to read the entire thread, but Game sent me a 5-quid coupon to be used on Gamestation.co.uk which I won't use. If anyone wants it, let me know.

Edit: gone!

PaulLFC

Can't be bothered to read the entire thread, but Game sent me a 5-quid coupon to be used on Gamestation.co.uk which I won't use. If anyone wants it, let me know.
Could I have it please? I never managed to get a coupon from Gameplay even though I've shopped there before!

Omikaru

Thinking I may try for a DSi XL, and offload my 3DS on eBay. I've got a wonderfully huge backlog of DS games, but the only game I've ever really enjoyed on 3DS has been OOT 3D, and I can't see anything else that good on the horizon either. The region lock BS doesn't help matters.

Basically, right now it's a giant paperweight and by time it does get something I want (probably Ace Attorney 5, provided that also doesn't release for Vita too), I'll be green with envy at everyone else playing it on the redesign.

Sensible, or am I being silly here?

herod

I bought a DSi XL after my 3DS. It's nice to play DS games on a dedicated machine. I wouldn't ditch the 3DS though.

herod

Went along to my local GAME branch. There was nothing worth buying, just a lot of worthless crapware, and very empty 'new' sections.

Thinking I may try for a DSi XL, and offload my 3DS on eBay. I've got a wonderfully huge backlog of DS games, but the only game I've ever really enjoyed on 3DS has been OOT 3D, and I can't see anything else that good on the horizon either. The region lock BS doesn't help matters.

Basically, right now it's a giant paperweight and by time it does get something I want (probably Ace Attorney 5, provided that also doesn't release for Vita too), I'll be green with envy at everyone else playing it on the redesign.

Sensible, or am I being silly here?

Iffy one there, while a Lite model is inevitable - assuming GAME exists to see a 3DS Lite/XL ect. or someone takes it's place. Normally stores will do very favourable deals for old models for new @ launch - though then there's the case of downloaded content. Personally I'ld hold onto the 3DS (specially if you have the ambassador stuff and 3DS/DSiware) and buy the Lite so you can transfer data and then trade the old system asap. That way you keep all the goodies and still get maximum value for the old system (as it'll hold it's price a while before the new model saps it's value)

Errm haven't been following this thread. Are you guys saying game and game station are having a massive firesale? There is a gamestation down the road from me, how much do you reckon I could pick up a new 360 S for?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lets see. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow, but I should be able to squeeze a visit to Victoria in the morning. If they have nothing I may risk going to the Regent Street branch (Hamleys). Doubt the Oxford Street branch is worth bothering with since that would have been plundered within a second.

Went into the Gamestations and the L1 Game in Liverpool before. Tbh I can't say I thought much of the sales- the sale just seems to have brought the prices in line with what would be expected. E.g. AC Brotherhood was £8, I got the version with all the DLC new for £9 months ago. A lot of it just seemed stuff I'd seen time and time again online.
To be fair, the Game store was FAR better in terms of prices from what I could see than GS.

Might pop into a different Game/GS tomorrow whilst I'm in the area to pick up any decent Wii games, as they were the only ones that stood out.

That was my feeling as well. The board want to ensure that the business has enough cash to ensure they get their fat payouts and pension funds secured before the company goes under.

A year from now when the auditors have sifted through the damage we will be talking about how those hateful directors all paid themselves massive cash bonuses on 2/4/12 and declared the company bankrupt on 3/4/12.

Hans-Gruber.jpg

Sitting on a beach earning 20%

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pre-owned hardware sale should start tomorrow, yes. The only ones I can remember are seeing the PSP-3000 and PSP Go at £50 each and I'm pretty sure 250GB Slim 360s are £130?

aren't they £160 new from shopto anyway? I'd want preowned to be a lot closer to £100 before jumping in. Are there any other 'safe' preowned 360s, like elites worth getting? Might be a good opportunity to catch up on my missed Xbox years and some of the franchises i've skipped (bioshock, Halo, Mass Effect)

Roxas

Just got Jak and Daxter PSP for £1.98 brand new. Dues Ex Augmented Edition PS3 £7.98 new and Castlevania PS3 Limited Edition for £2.98.

God I love a good fire sale :D

Edit: yea that Castlevania ^ when I added it to basket it said it was In Stock

Cronen

'Pre-ordered' the Castlevania LE, fantastic offer! Did just get an email from them thanking me for my preorder and that the product will be available on the 22/10/10 so will be interesting to see what happens :lol

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Still waiting on my XBL Points to be shipped... but jumped on that Castlevania SE too. Wonder if it'll be honoured or it turns up not as the mask one..

I don't mean to give him any more ammunition but Brera is correct about the cash numbers he is throwing around. You can't look at that mid year number because GAME is like every other video game company and does most of their business in the second half of the year. They should have over 100 million if that loss they projected is correct.

What he isn't correct about is that the amount of cash they have is equivalent to a "war chest". They likely have quite a bit of debt to serve and also need to cover the day to day operating expenses. I'm guessing they aren't paying for games up front because they are attempting some kind of ill fated bluff at the publishers but it looks to be a terrible decision so far and is just going to cause them to lose money even faster.

Based on their apparent expenses, wouldn't be shocked if they were broke by the end of the summer(or sooner) if something doesn't change.

SmokyDave

I got my pre-order confirmation rapidly followed by an order confirmation for Castlevania. It'll be crazy if they honour it, the postage alone will cost more than the game.

The mail also had a link to that £1.98 Space Marine (PS3). So tempting, even though I have it on PC.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, I'm off to see if I can find me a £50 PSP Go. I enjoyed my old one before I gave it to my nephew so I wouldn't mind it back to play PS1 games etc.

Zomba13

I got my pre-order confirmation rapidly followed by an order confirmation for Castlevania. It'll be crazy if they honour it, the postage alone will cost more than the game.

The mail also had a link to that £1.98 Space Marine (PS3). So tempting, even though I have it on PC.

I just did this and also got an order email right after the pre-order one. Hope it does get sent. I already own the standard ed but can't say no to the special edition at that price.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, I'm off to see if I can find me a £50 PSP Go. I enjoyed my old one before I gave it to my nephew so I wouldn't mind it back to play PS1 games etc.

Tempting. Especially if it takes Sony a long time to bring psone to vita. Even then with the vita bubbles taking up space it'd be nice to have a pocket psone for £50

any risks to buying a preowned slim 360 - hacked/banned etc? Never bought preowned before but <£200 for a 250gb slim and kinect can't be bad

I got 7 decent games for £15 at my local Gamestation. I'm gonna go into Manchester and try my luck there, where they've got two GAME's and another Gamestation but I doubt I'll be as successful.

PaulLFC

any risks to buying a preowned slim 360 - hacked/banned etc? Never bought preowned before but <£200 for a 250gb slim and kinect can't be bad
I'm more concerned that (I'm assuming) there'd be no warranty on preowned hardware if Game do go out of business, so if it breaks a month or two from now you're out of luck.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
£2.50 for Castlevania? YOINK!

I'll check my local branch again today to see if any of the offers have spread to there.

teeny

After seeing the Space Marine deal on here yesterday, I checked the Bluewater stores for a copy after work. They only had 360 versions - at £7 odd. Is the PS3 version that bad that they took £5 off?

They had a fair amount of stuff at Bluewater, actually, probably because it isnt a town center so people have to drive there after work / school.

Linkified

So went in to complain about LBP2 scratched to hell fiasco:

Me: So I bought this game yesterday, as it is scratched to hell, I would like a refund or exchange.
Employee: Hang about.
*Beckons over store manager*
Manager:So what is the problem?
Me:The disk is scratched to hell bought a new copy.
Me:Well the disk won't play
Manager: Well I have never known a game with scratches on never NOT working on a PS3
Me: ...
Manager: Are you sure your harddrive hasn't corrupted?
Me: I'm sure.
Manager: Well we can't do anything.
Me: It is not fit for purpose. I called your head office before I came in, they said YOU would give me a replacement or refund.

So I'm getting slightly pissed off at this point. Anyway I came out with a brand new copy of LBP2. Its not that online has killed the high street, its that the high street is piss poor at customer service.

offshore

They probably won't get it back in stock, but brand new 320GB PS3's with Assassin's Creed Revelations were going for £99.98.

So someone got a good deal. lol

teeny

Me: So I bought this game yesterday, as it is scratched to hell, I would like a refund or exchange.
Manager: Well I have never known a game with scratches on never NOT working on a PS3
Me: It is not fit for purpose. I called your head office before I came in, they said YOU would give me a replacement or refund.

So I'm getting slightly pissed off at this point. Anyway I came out with a brand new copy of LBP2. Its not that online has killed the high street, its that the high street is piss poor at customer service.

To be honest, I have had issues with most of the online retailers as well. There are horror stories with Zavvi and ShopTo and even Amazon where their customer service has not been up to par. Its just because every company in existance sometimes hires some morons.

At least you got a decent copy in the end.

Nahkarankaisja

Neo Member
Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Collectors Edition (PS3, NEW) - £2.98 at Game

It says "preorder" for some reason, but you can buy it (I've got an order placed). Whether they'll honour it I don't know but it's worth a try!

Gamestation link

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Collector's Edition Includes:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow videogame
Replica God Mask
Videogame Soundtrack composed by Óscar Araujo

CastlevaniaCEPS3.jpg

Ordered, will be interesting to see if they honour it and ship it to Finland!

Gamestation had a hastily printed sign in the windows "Streetfighter X Tekken Tournament at 2pm today! Win a goody bag and store credit card. £5 entry!"

Five fucking quid to have a small chance of winning a bag of pre-owned shit and an indeterminate amount of store credit??
No thanks. I found it very odd. Does that money go back to head office or the employees?

That's hilarious. What do they say if a passing customer asks to buy a copy? Go over the road to HMV?

Henke

The Glasgow stores were very strange yesterday. The main Game store was very, very quiet. Games on the shelves were marked down though (some more than others). One Gamestation was almsot completely out of 360 games stock but had no reductions on anything else and another Gamestation had almost every game in the store priced at £12.98 - more often priced up to that point than down.

I had just under a tenner on my Gamestation reward card but I ended up using it on an eShop voucher due to lack of quality deals.

You ordered new originally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom