• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Save the money for a Vita? Thought you were a high flying banker...

Yeah, but I just think the Vita is overpriced and I don't like spending money that doesn't need to be spent.

I really want a phone SKU Vita, but it looks so fucking awesome and I really want to play Fifa on the way to work every day. There is a dude who gets the same train as me and he's been raving about it as well, would love to kick his arse on the way to work everyday.

Its £197 @ Asda instore when I last checked mate.

Fuck yeah!

I might head down tomorrow before work, I hope they have some units in Southgate Asda!

This is going to sound like a completely random question, but does anybody know if GAME and Game Stop are part of the same company in Sweden? I'm 99% sure they're different companies, but my friend seems to think otherwise...

PaulLFC

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/report-game-puts-itself-up-for-sale/092593

So, have I lost my job? Am I going to lose my job? Why is the Internet informing me more on this then the actual fucking company is? It's getting ridiculous... what am I supposed to say to customers?!
I hate the management, and I don't even work there. It's ridiculous how the actual non-management/director employees are seemingly the only dedicated workers in the entire company yet they get told absolutely nothing. I assume any information you do get from management is along the lines of this:

ibdqa2u9VKqSRh.jpg

"EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OKAY. We are not closing. We're fine. Honest. We have lots of money. Honest. We have plenty of stock. Honest. We'll get new games. Honest. We're fine."

And all the time, actual, real news is being revealed on the internet and the company seemingly won't even admit to its own employees what's going on. It's ridiculous.

Hope you manage to find a job soon mate, and hopefully somewhere with more respect for its employees.

Brera

Banned
I think the stock is gonna crash tomorrow morning! I'm gonna have to go for broke and ride it to the end!

Sorry for you guys losing your jobs. I had a retail job during uni and we were suddenly told we're closing down through teletext. Management didn't tell us till the next day. Maybe the GAME management worked at Scottish Power?

Looks like this is a fire sale and the only people using the homer gif are Ian shepherd and his gang of lying goons. The biggest warning sign was the pr lady last week. Never seen such a bare faced lie...I don't think she'll be getting a decent job anytime soon.

It does look like they went down without a fight. The non UK business should have been put up for sale before Xmas!

I've got every finger crossed something, anything happens! Has to be the fastest fall from grace ever bar Ratners!

1158655197698fs0.gif

Ah well that news explains something I overheard at the Birkenhead store this afternoon... whilst picking up a brand new copy of Dodonpachi Resurrection for £2.98 one of the sales assistants said to the other 'it could be a very short week...'.

Incidentally here's my entire haul from the last few days, I went a bit ott:
Dodonpachi Resurrection £2.98
50 Cent Blood on the Sand £2.98
Alpha Protocol £1.99
Condemned £1.99
Condemned 2 £2.99
FF XIII £9.99
Lost Odyssey £1.99
Rage (brand new, sold a 2nd hand) £7.98
Gears of War 3 (with DLC) £12.99
Deathsmiles £4.99
Gears of War 2 (with DLC) £1.99
Nier £1.99
Halo 3 £1.99
Gears of War £1.99
Darksiders £1.99
F1 2011 £12.99
Orange Box £7.98
Agarest Generations of War £4.99
Heavenly Sword £0.98
Killzone 3 £7.99
KOF XIII Deluxe Edition £4.99

Never need to leave the house again.

I have been speaking to some informed people who say that a pre-pack administration sale of Game's profitable stores to an outside investor is the best avenue for RBS to recover (most) of their money. From what I have heard 8 out of 10 of the profitable stores are ex-Game and Gamestation locations, only 2 out of 10 profitable stores are from the ex EB Games locations (which is what Game actually is).

They said a pre-pack sale of about 250 locations nationwide and another 200 locations in the rest of Europe would fetch up to £90m.

Moobabe

Yeah, I have a back up plan, but I'm going to be without a job for a while. I can't avoid that. I'm just finding this whole thing absolutely ridiculous. We're actually checking MCV at work on our breaks to see if there is any further news on the companies closure. I feel like I'm the last to know on news like this. I've had people calling the store all day asking when we're closing; I don't know and I don't want it to close. I'm having to tell them as far as I know, it's not closing, as that's the truth. Then I get home and read this bull. This is beyond stupid.

You and me both man - I'm supposed to be in on Tuesday but... well I don't know. I'm still overdrawn from uni so I'm struggling to make ends meet, especially with the shocking hours we get. This isn't gonna help.

bitoriginal

Yeah, I have a back up plan, but I'm going to be without a job for a while. I can't avoid that. I'm just finding this whole thing absolutely ridiculous. We're actually checking MCV at work on our breaks to see if there is any further news on the companies closure. I feel like I'm the last to know on news like this. I've had people calling the store all day asking when we're closing; I don't know and I don't want it to close. I'm having to tell them as far as I know, it's not closing, as that's the truth. Then I get home and read this bull. This is beyond stupid.

I feel for you man. Game does have some terrible management. The UK High Street is fucked in general at the moment.

thechemist

Fuck yeah!

I might head down tomorrow before work, I hope they have some units in Southgate Asda!

Bare in mind it was a launch offer! But it still may be on, if that fails the other day I saw vita with rayman for £209 @ HMV instore.

It would be a sad day if Game closes, esp with alot of great staff on this site.

Brera

Banned
You and me both man - I'm supposed to be in on Tuesday but... well I don't know. I'm still overdrawn from uni so I'm struggling to make ends meet, especially with the shocking hours we get. This isn't gonna help.

Hope you do get another job quicktime!

Brera

Banned
Bare in mind it was a launch offer! But it still may be on, if that fails the other day I saw vita with rayman for £209 @ HMV instore.

It was £197 when I was in my local ASDA a few days ago.

ASDA is probably the best place for games right now. Love it!

Tesco is probably the worst. As bad as GAME.

Why is the Internet informing me more on this then the actual fucking company is?

Telling people the truth is 'bad for morale', and with things being as bad as they are being confirmed public knowledge, you'd have seen a lot of staff not bothering to show up for work anymore (because sorry to say, there's a real chance payroll will not be properly allocated) and a lot of stock would go missing as part of peoples self-decided redundancy packages.

Don't tell the staff, and you get to flog all that back stock in a fire sale, and get a portion of your employees to do so for free.

You have my sympathies, it's a shitty scenario for people 'at ground level'

Brannon

^^^

Might want to set aside some 'fuck you pay me' stock in case payroll decides to go belly up. If they do pay you, then give the stock back. Yes it's wrong, yes it's illegal, yes it's stupid as hell, but if you can get away with it, then why not insure yourself? The way I see it, you can either take their stuff, or they can take your money. They probably don't even have the money to send somebody over to check the cameras if something were to come unplugged.

Be an asshole.

Do this thing.

Yeah... it would really suck not to get paid, especially since I "re-merchandised" our entire shop in three hours today. Saying that, I would've only earned £19 for my shift anyway. Beyond poor, but then again most other retail staff aren't getting much better right now.

Moobabe said:

My boss has been on holiday and is back tomorrow. It's going to be interesting to hear what he says about it... but I get the impression he only knows as much as we do. Hope we can pull through mate. University degree's and it looks to be back in the unemployment line if this happens...

Also I'm not stealing stock, whether we get paid or we don't. They may rob us of our money, but I'm not a thief.

Indeed it is ridiculous, from what I've heard even the regional managers aren't being fed any more info than we are - everyone is relying on MCV for news. Endless customers asking "So when are you closing?" in such a rude and insensitive tone that I want to punch them. Problem is that I don't even have anywhere to turn to when the stores shut - there are literally no retail jobs in the local area and when jobs do pop up the employers seem to pick candidates out of a lucky dip rather than looking at skills and experience.

Brera

Banned
Yeah... it would really suck not to get paid, especially since I "re-merchandised" our entire shop in three hours today. Saying that, I would've only earned £19 for my shift anyway. Beyond poor, but then again most other retail staff aren't getting much better right now.

My boss has been on holiday and is back tomorrow. It's going to be interesting to hear what he says about it... but I get the impression he only knows as much as we do. Hope we can pull through mate. University degree's and it looks to be back in the unemployment line if this happens...

Also I'm not stealing stock, whether we get paid or we don't. They may rob us of our money, but I'm not a thief.

image.php

Akyan

Indeed it is ridiculous, from what I've heard even the regional managers aren't being fed any more info than we are - everyone is relying on MCV for news.

This right here is how you know the ship is sinking. The only reason not to pass information down is because it's so bad it'd only make things worse.

PaulLFC

Indeed it is ridiculous, from what I've heard even the regional managers aren't being fed any more info than we are - everyone is relying on MCV for news. Endless customers asking "So when are you closing?" in such a rude and insensitive tone that I want to punch them. Problem is that I don't even have anywhere to turn to when the stores shut - there are literally no retail jobs in the local area and when jobs do pop up the employers seem to pick candidates out of a lucky dip rather than looking at skills and experience.
You've probably done or are in the process of doing this already, but give your CV to anywhere and everywhere that has the prospect of a job. Email them, phone them, post it to them, give a CV in in person. Even places that aren't advertising jobs - give them one anyway, then you're more likely to get a call back if they do have a position available in the future. After I finished uni I was out of work for a few months, a lot of places I applied to didn't even acknowledge my application let alone take the interview process any further, but you just have to keep applying to everywhere and eventually an opportunity will come up.

Ikon

This is going to sound like a completely random question, but does anybody know if GAME and Game Stop are part of the same company in Sweden? I'm 99% sure they're different companies, but my friend seems to think otherwise...
Didn't see if this was answered before but I just wanted to say that no, they are most definitely not the same company in Sweden (I should know since I work for GameStop, which is apparently also the devil going by GAF comments).

Bumhead

Banned
So what's the consensus on this week? Are we expecting further price reductions from tomorrow?

I do actually feel abit guilty about effectively hovering over my local stores like a vulture, waiting to pick the bones, especially when you see GAME staff in this thread. That said, I suspect the staff will be helping themselves to some cheap games too. As a business I think GAME get everything they get, their terrible policy and business practices have been bad for both consumers and the industry for years, but it's unfortunate that as usual it's the hardworking staff on the frontline who suffer the most. The stuff mentioned above about staff finding more out from threads on NeoGAF than their actual company is par for the course with such shitly run business'..

LordAlu

So what's the consensus on this week? Are we expecting further price reductions from tomorrow?

I do actually feel abit guilty about effectively hovering over my local stores like a vulture, waiting to pick the bones, especially when you see GAME staff in this thread. That said, I suspect the staff will be helping themselves to some cheap games too. As a business I think GAME get everything they get, their terrible policy and business practices have been bad for both consumers and the industry for years, but it's unfortunate that as usual it's the hardworking staff on the frontline who suffer the most. The stuff mentioned above about staff finding more out from threads on NeoGAF than their actual company is par for the course with such shitly run business'..
There won't be further ones, just PSP pre-owned finally entering the sale (for some reason it wasn't on yet).

I've bought a bunch of stuff since the sale went on, how can you not when stuff is so cheap?! Picked up a load of games I've been wanting plus a PSPGo, now I can play my PS1 games on the move! :D

There won't be further ones, just PSP pre-owned finally entering the sale (for some reason it wasn't on yet).

I've bought a bunch of stuff since the sale went on, how can you not when stuff is so cheap?! Picked up a load of games I've been wanting plus a PSPGo, now I can play my PS1 games on the move! :D
Ooo, what day are they going on in the sale? Our PSP section is bulging with a number of good RPGs I wouldn't mind picking up.

Azure Phoenix said:

Amen to that. I used to work at Matalan before I was given the job at GameStation. Eight hours a week (after the shop opened, got more before during the refit.) Apparently the staff there are still stuck on eight hours. They also had the cheek to hire Christmas temps and keep everyone on contract hours.

All of the (very few) retail jobs around here are rubbish, I feel lucky to be at GS (since I actually do enjoy it.) Unfortunately this town is known for having a very high unemployment rate. If I lose my job at GS, I'm using my savings and moving up north to live with a friend (and hopefully get a new job up there.)

Also yeah, the PSP sale should be starting tomorrow in both stores IIRC.

Ikon said:
Didn't see if this was answered before but I just wanted to say that no, they are most definitely not the same company in Sweden (I should know since I work for GameStop, which is apparently also the devil going by GAF comments).

Thanks a lot for the reply, I was certain they weren't related. Don't know what she was talking about. :X

I was hoping someone would pick up on that. <3

Dambrosi

Banned
Please last till Friday Please last till Friday Please last till Friday Please last till Friday Please last till Friday Please last till Friday Please last till Friday *prays*

MRORANGE

if you have any holiday or extra hours you haved worked I reccomend using them like right now.

Does anybody think it would be a good idea to buy shares considering they are so low at the moment (about 3.5p according to Bloomberg), and the chance GameStop buys them.

Also for those of you working at Game, I would start looking for alternative work now, I know what it is like because I was recently working at Peacocks until they went under on the 22nd Feb, I started looking as soon as I heard about the company facing administration and now have recently got a new job :).

Linkified

Does anybody think it would be a good idea to buy shares considering they are so low at the moment (about 3.5p according to Bloomberg), and the chance GameStop buys them.

Also for those of you working at Game, I would start looking for alternative work now, I know what it is like because I was recently working at Peacocks until they went under on the 22nd Feb, I started looking as soon as I heard about the company facing administration and now have recently got a new job :).

I get a deepening sense of deja vu.

LA Noire + Enslaved get!

Guy gave me a disc clean for free and didn't even bother checking my ID for an 18 (They always, always do.)

Ship's goin' down people.

Linkified

LA Noire + Enslaved get!

Guy gave me a disc clean for free and didn't even bother checking my ID for an 18 (They always, always do.)

Ship's goin' down people.

Yep, like a chip pan fire - instead of putting a damp cloth over the pan, they are pouring water on the fire causing more flames and more problems to the stability of the entire kitchen.

Dragnet

What are the prices for preowned DS Lites and 3DS's like? I'm interested if they can hold out a few more days until I get paid..

Brera

Banned

I've got 8000 shares...you can have em for £400!? :lol:

Brera

Banned
Looks like there have been a lot more buyers then sellers on friday. Maybe the stock price will rise tomorrow on this news of a seller.

Game still have several ways to stay a bit longer, living beyond these two weeks will surely see a share rise?

So what happens to us staff if they do go into administration? What are the chances we won't get paid? I've heard from some people that if a company can't afford to pay the staff, there's nothing that can be done about it. But other people have said that they have to pay us somehow, as it's illegal not to. Does anybody know for fact?

Anyway, I heard that tomorrow will see new stock be transferred into pre-owned. I wasn't told how much (I doubt it's everything, as that would be huge news, and I think we'd know by now). I'm guessing it's so there's less stock that will be seized if they do go into administration, and the creditors come along. But keep your eyes open, as you may be able to grab some brand new games for dirt cheap. I doubt they'll be marked in order to distinguish them from actual used stock, so inspect anything you buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom