• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

micster

Anyway, I was told today that tomorrow will see new stock be transferred into pre-owned. I wasn't told how much (I doubt it's everything, as that would be huge news, and I think we'd know by now). I'm guessing it's so there's less stock that will be seized if they do go into administration, and the creditors come along. But keep your eyes open, as you may be able to grab some brand new games for dirt cheap. I doubt they'll be marked in order to distinguish them from actual used stock, so inspect anything you buy..

My copy of Bodycount for the PS3 was a new [but gutted] copy, the woman who served me said so.

PaulLFC

Anyway, I was told today that tomorrow will see new stock be transferred into pre-owned.
Can they actually do that? It's still new, surely slapping a preowned sticker on it so Game get all the profits and the publishers get nothing (if it works the same way as other preowned games) is wrong? Unless the publishers have already got paid, even then it just seems wrong to me. Plus I'm assuming it's just on software, as with stuff like the Vita Sony own it until point of sale so I'm sure they'd have something to say about it if Game suddenly switched all of their Vita stock to "preowned".

Dragnet

Oh yeah, I also picked up two brand new copies of DJ Hero 2 (+ Decks) on 360 at £2.98 each today. I was doing price changes when I noticed I had to reduce that from £19.98 to £2.98. Needless to say, all of the copies went to staff. I also bought a used copy of DJ Hero 1 for 98p, so I got a nice little haul there for dirt cheap.

WHAT! :(

jkh13

Neo Member
Does anyone at Game know if they generally have stock of Dodonpachi resurrection instore? I am considering heading down to my local game tomorrow to check if they have any left :).

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So what happens to us staff if they do go into administration? What are the chances we won't get paid? I've heard from some people that if a company can't afford to pay the staff, there's nothing that can be done about it. But other people have said that they have to pay us somehow, as it's illegal not to. Does anybody know for fact?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Pay/DG_10026695

The bit you want is this:

What you can claim

You can claim for all your outstanding pay from the insolvency practitioner. There is no guarantee that the full amount you are owed will be paid as this depends on whether enough funds are raised from the sale of your employer’s assets.

Some debts, including holiday pay and wages, will be 'preferential debt' when your employer’s assets are shared out. This means they must be paid before certain other debts.

As full payment cannot be guaranteed, there are special arrangements for employees to claim the basic minimum of debts owed to them from the National Insurance Fund. These claims are:

redundancy
wages - up to a maximum of eight weeks
holiday pay - up to a maximum of six weeks
compensatory notice pay - one week after one calendar month's service rising to one week per year of service up to a maximum of 12 weeks (new earnings will be taken into account)

There is a limit of £400 a week (£430 a week from 1 February 2012) on the amount you can claim for your weekly pay.
Basically, the government will pay you.

winstano

Oh yeah, I also picked up two brand new copies of DJ Hero 2 (+ Decks) on 360 at £2.98 each today. I was doing price changes when I noticed I had to reduce that from £19.98 to £2.98. Needless to say, all of the copies went to staff. I also bought a used copy of DJ Hero 1 for 98p, so I got a nice little haul there for dirt cheap.

Fancy slinging one my way for a fivier? :p That is a mega bargain!

So they dropped the prices to clear out the pre-owned stock, and now they going to gut brand new games in order to drop the price again and sell them as pre-owned
Basically it reads like they're just getting rid of everything

Dragnet

Will there be any chance of hardware prices dropping even further? What happens to stock when they eventually close up shop?

Fucking hell - if they're moving to repackaging new stock as pre-owned to shift it ASAP, there's definitely not long left.

Feel a bit of a shit asking this given that a few folk in here are facing the chop over GAME's woes, but if anyone spots a PSPGo in good nick as part of a clearance deal, drop me a PM - been in the market for one for ages, and I can arrange P&P etc. if you see a bargain.

Oh yeah, what's standard precedure for when a store chain goes into administration? Roughly how much notice do staff get? Or can it literally be a case of turning up to work one day and being sent home?

Might go back for another scavenge if they're gunna start gutting stuff (plus the PSP sale). Mic when you went in did they just tell you upfront about that? I've got a thing about the condition of stuff and it'd be great to get stuff cheap and not looking like it's been through the meatgrinder.

Lirlond

I remember working in Blacks Outdoor, we didn't find out we were shutting till we got "CLOSING SOON: ALL STOCK MUST GO" POS. Not even the manager knew.

That was an eventful delivery..

CMDBob

Urgh, went to Sheffield Game AND Gamestation yesterday, and there was bugger all on sale in both of em! There was a few preowned cheap DSPhats, like £20, but I don't need one. (was actually looking for a cheap [lol] DSLite charger so I didn't have to bloody wait for one off Amazon.)

Man, I feel sorry for the poor chaps behind the front desks, who in all likelyhood will lose their jobs. Not for head management though, the bastards.

daviyoung

Banned
I remember working in Blacks Outdoor, we didn't find out we were shutting till we got "CLOSING SOON: ALL STOCK MUST GO" POS. Not even the manager knew.

That was an eventful delivery..

There used to be a shop in my town that would be perpetually closing down. It was either a nifty marketing trick, or they made enough money from each closing down sale to survive until the next one.

GAME are too big and their money in too many other people's pockets for this to happen though.

Brera

Banned
Company Game Group PLC

TIDM GMG

Headline Statement from The GAME Group plc

Released 07:00 12-Mar-2012

Number 1139Z07

RNS Number : 1139Z

Game Group PLC

12 March 2012

12 March 2012

Statement from the GAME Group plc

"Further to GAME's announcement of 29th February 2012 and recent press speculation, the Group confirms that it remains in discussions with its suppliers and lenders in relation to terms of trade that allow the business to operate within the facility provided by its banking syndicate, as announced on 3 February 2012, and to meet its revised strategic plan. While these discussions are ongoing, it has not been possible to source new products from a number of suppliers.

The Board of GAME is working actively to resolve these issues as quickly as possible. This includes ongoing discussions with suppliers, seeking access to the original facility or alternative sources of funding, and reviewing the position of all of its assets in the UK and international territories.

It is uncertain whether any of the solutions currently being explored by the Board will be successful or will result in any value being attributed to the shares of the Company."

What do you do do hotshot...!

speed.jpg

Brera

Banned
When it got to 0.75.... it started flashing red!

This is exciting. Like ebay but a 12" dildo is going to go up your bum if you lose

Linkified

GAF should buy Game Group reduce it to 26 stores in UK, put an Arcade, a bit of retro merch and some gaming goodies in each store ... hell by this time next year we would all be millionaires.

panda21

where can I watch the stock plummet? I will take great joy in watching this shitty store go down

even their "spring cleaning" aka we're going bankrupt sale sucks. FFXIII-2 on 'sale' for £35 when its £25 in sainsburys...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom