• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brera

Banned
The Times seems to think that the 6 million that GAME need is for the rent bill. If they can't pay, they go bust.

I think they can do the 6 million with all the buzz they have from the "fire sell".

I'm now off the opinion that I dont think they can make it to the 720 and PS4 launch. Now, just to wait for the the right moment to sell up. Friday saw shitloads of people buying up shares so who knows.

If they get trough this quarter, without ea and others support, tjey're kinda fucked.

Such a shame! Would have been an awesome money making scheme! Ironic but looking back it was HMV that was the better buy.

Just goes to show that in business, of you fuck suppliers over, they'll have the last laugh.

The UK will be better off without them, such a shame that Gamestation got raped. Used to be an awesome place but without GAME I'm sure a new company with a similar ethos will take root and it looks like it will be Grainger games...

Brera

Banned
From memory, gamestation started the same way as a northern brand and slowly crept south before being bought up by game once they became a threat.

Worst case scenario is GameStop as GAME got all their business ideas from them. They're even a offshoot of EB of sorts!

We need a CEX type attitude of non casual conformity. GAME went to complete shit with the Wii attitude.

Mr. Sam

GAME and Gamestation were selling Halo: CEA at £39.99 until recently, when they went down to the 'special' price of £29.99.

I haven't bought anything approaching a full price game - or, really, anything that isn't a sub-£8 pre-owned game - from either in half a decade.

Bumhead

Banned
Download future. Embrace it.

Not this gen or next. There are still too many parts of the world (and even in apparently established countries such as the US and UK) that are constricted by limited speeds or bandwidth restrictions etc.

Even then, download only is fine for PC that have services such as Steam available. I wouldn't trust Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo to offer anywhere near that same value proposition. I own a Vita which technically does offer an all digital solution but I wouldn't dream of going down that route for a second because the value of doing so is absolutely horrendous.

acm2000

My local game and gamestation were polar opposites

Game staff - deny everything, pushing preorders, spring sale, telling customers to trade in and keep credit for later (lolwat), pushing reward cards still, etc

Gamestation staff - "its basically a closing down sale, but we hope not"

Side note: both stores had been ransacked

Tesco Bar Hill used to have a HUGE media section, these days it's relegated to a corner of the store in favour of technology and home appliances which I assume they make more money on

That's true, the Milton Tesco used to have a dedicated aisle for games, but it's now sharing space with CDs and doesn't even seem to be selling hardware at all.

Cambridge-GAF represent!

Internet high five

GAME went to complete shit with the Wii attitude.

Is this actually true?

The last time I went into a Game - at the height of Nintendomania - there was still the usual contemptible regard for Nintendo products (at the back of the store, less shelf space) that Game have always showed with the 360 and PS3 displays right at the front of the store, and the usual 'Games top ten as paid for by publishers' prominently displayed at the front.

I mean, I expect that sort of half-assed 'I guess we better sell it' attitude from the second and third place consoles (and having been a proud dreamcast and gamecube owner am used to it), but as I've said earlier in this thread, it is mental to have products for the market leading console relegated to a single shelf at the back of the store.

Walshicus

There absolutely were. Portsmouth had a Game in the high street (along with a Gamestation) and a Game that was an ex EB inside the shopping centre (1 minute walk from Game A to Game B). They closed the ex EB and relocated it 50 yards down the shopping centre. Idiots.

Edit

Just reread your post, there's no way those two (three including Gamestation) stores made enough profit to justify closing and reopening one of them. And if they did that I'm willing to bet they were opening stores that were too close to each other.

And yet they don't have a single GAME in Gosport.

Same in Crawley - one GAME inside County Mall, one GAME about 75m away just *outside* the Mall, and a Gamestation not 150m away from that. Pointless. And yet here in Chichester there's just one tiny little GAME at the arse end of South Street.

Oxx

Yeah, it's hard to see a traditional home console going download only any time soon given.

But technology moves quickly and there is the possibility of a device coming out and changing the landscape. Apple have sold hundreds of millions of download-only devices.

No matter what happens, a shop dedicated to games-only is screwed.

dc89

I doubt Game can raise £6m from this fire sale. That's a LOT of pre owned games and consoles that need to be shifted to make any where near that kind of money.

Bumhead

Banned
Just been to GAME and finally picked up Mirrors Edge.

£4.97 bargain!

Do you have a Gamestation nearby? In my local Gamestation Mirrors Edge is £1.98 (not sure why I didn't pick it up at that price).

Prices seem to be allover the place at the minute though. There's a lot of prices quoted in this thread that are nowhere near as cheap as in my local stores, and vice versa.

Holy crap which GAME store did you find that in? I need to get Gears 3 but haven't seen it for much less than retail anywhere.

My girlfriend picked it up from the one in Preston.

Edit: It was a Gamestation but they're practically the same, right?

no angel

And yet they don't have a single GAME in Gosport.

Same in Crawley - one GAME inside County Mall, one GAME about 75m away just *outside* the Mall, and a Gamestation not 150m away from that. Pointless. And yet here in Chichester there's just one tiny little GAME at the arse end of South Street.

Chichester always confused me, affluent area but piddly little shop.

Theres no way you got Gears of War 3 for 50p.

Granted, it is a bundle copy - but still, GoW3 49p.

So i suppose the trick here is that you go in and specifically as for a bundle copy/price.

tumblr_m0q3imAq9f1qj94hfo1_500.jpg

Even a bundled copy of Gears 3 (that they shouldn't be selling) is worth more than 49p. Just like Christmas, the sale was too good but at the same time not enough.

Speaking of which I saw they had a Gears 3 360 for £150 in Gamestation. Just the console was sitting behind the counter.

There absolutely were. Portsmouth had a Game in the high street (along with a Gamestation) and a Game that was an ex EB inside the shopping centre (1 minute walk from Game A to Game B). They closed the ex EB and relocated it 50 yards down the shopping centre. Idiots.
So much for me thinking they operated on logic...then again if the other store shut once the lease was (also?) up then it would be a good move if the location was good.

grainger don't have a presence in the south at all yet, do they? wonder when they'll make the trip down here...
Their HQ and warehouses are all up north still so they would need a second one for logistical purposes (or a more central location, not sure how these things work).

Also down south rent prices might be much, much more expensive (if they're like house prices that is). Finally, there is the rumor Grainger's rapid expansion is based on going to locations where they don't have to pay the rent for a while (i.e. those high streets are so desperate to not have vacant stores they are prepared to have you essentially default on the rent when it comes to time to pay in a year or sos time).

Game staff - deny everything, pushing preorders, spring sale, telling customers to trade in and keep credit for later (lolwat), pushing reward cards still, etc
The Gamestation I was in was like that (couldn't be bothered to argue)...guess it depends on how scared they are that you are a secret shopper or that they have blind faith in the lies management are spouting.

mclem

My local game and gamestation were polar opposites

Gamestation staff - "its basically a closing down sale, but we hope not"

Side note: both stores had been ransacked

Exactly the same experiences at my end. Although it does help that I'm reasonably known in Gamestation, so I was able to chat at the desk. The GS manager was convinced Gamestop were going to be the ones to swoop in at some point.

Not quite as ransacked in GS, though. Was able to pick up a few nice things for promising prices, and my HM's GF got the Inazuma 11 she's been angling for for a while.

Patryn

The Times seems to think that the 6 million that GAME need is for the rent bill. If they can't pay, they go bust.

I think they can do the 6 million with all the buzz they have from the "fire sell".

At this point it might be in a sick way better for the employees if GAME fails to raise the £6 million. Because if it's just for the rent, and they barely squeak out that amount, what do they use to pay payroll?

Gong

I managed to nab the last copy of Nier in the Fort Kinnaird GAME yesterday, not in the best condition but have heard good things about it and at £2.98 I wasn't going to pass up the chance. The atmosphere in the shop was oddly jubilant, place was packed out and people where rifling through the sale stock extensively.

Well I still have my £40 vouchers. Was going to wait for the next big release, but yeah saw lots of games selling cheap when I last went in.

If they still have it then I can pick up Uncharted 3 and Crysis 2 again.

bruceUK

Neo Member
Do you have a Gamestation nearby? In my local Gamestation Mirrors Edge is £1.98 (not sure why I didn't pick it up at that price).

Prices seem to be allover the place at the minute though. There's a lot of prices quoted in this thread that are nowhere near as cheap as in my local stores, and vice versa.

I don't mate no..well I'm not sure..nearest can think of is about 15 miles whereas the GAME I went (castleford) 5 mins away from me (pontefract).

winstano

I can't see how they can stay afloat after this sale, even if they raise the 6mil figure that's being toted by some.

If that figure is for their rent and/or wages for the month, then they're still in the same position at the end of it, and they're still not going to be able to get any new stock in from the very same publishers. Added to that the fact that nearly all of their used stock is disappearing pretty quickly and they're in trouble.

bruceUK

Neo Member
I can't see how they can stay afloat after this sale, even if they raise the 6mil figure that's being toted by some.

If that figure is for their rent and/or wages for the month, then they're still in the same position at the end of it, and they're still not going to be able to get any new stock in from the very same publishers. Added to that the fact that nearly all of their used stock is disappearing pretty quickly and they're in trouble.

It does seem to be what feels like a slippery slope...but for the time being it's grrreat for us gamers!

So dig in! :)

Dragnet

Popped into GameStation today after GAME's sucky attempt at a sale, they had a MUCH better PS3 collection of games, much better everything in fact. Picked up Turok, Destroy all Humans! and Darksiders for £15. Got to touch a Vita for the first time too, instantly hated the buttons and sticks.

But yeah, everyone should try their GS if they can. Great selection, but maybe not quite as good prices? Seemed about a quid or so more expensive generally, I think the cheapest game I saw was £2.98. Also, absolutely no sports games in sight. Shows you what gamers shop in what stores.

s_mirage

Game have replied with a "no comment" rather than a denial. I think that says it all.

EDIT: Of course I suppose it is possible that they would reply no comment, even if they were trying to shop the company, in the hope that the speculation would cause the share price to rise.

Linkified

Game has weirdly given me 1814 points and its basically says you have £4.53 to spend. To note I had no points the other day.

Wut?

Edit: On the whole wat the £6million is for someone said it was for both rent costs and staff wages in UK. Plus the only way Gamestop is going to buy Game is if they can offload Game Australia, and they haven't been able to do for the last month, so...

Patryn

If that report is accurate, it's telling that there's already a company lined up to run the administration process.

GAME's toast.

Finally got back from my trip. Went into Game in Victoria train station. Was about to pull the trigger on a £50 white PSP Go, but I decided against it, going to save the money for a Vita. I might get one if it dips under £199 before the end of this year.

Patryn

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/report-game-puts-itself-up-for-sale/092593

So, have I lost my job? Am I going to lose my job? Why is the Internet informing me more on this then the actual fucking company is? It's getting ridiculous... what am I supposed to say to customers?!

I'm sorry to say, you're probably going to lose your job. If you aren't already looking for another one, start NOW.

As for customers, I'd probably be telling them to avoid store credit unless they're going to use it within the week. Odds are that as soon as the company goes into administration, that credit will be worth zero.

I'm sorry to say, you're probably going to lose your job. If you aren't already looking for another one, start NOW.

Yeah, I have a back up plan, but I'm going to be without a job for a while. I can't avoid that. I'm just finding this whole thing absolutely ridiculous. We're actually checking MCV at work on our breaks to see if there is any further news on the companies closure. I feel like I'm the last to know on news like this. I've had people calling the store all day asking when we're closing; I don't know and I don't want it to close. I'm having to tell them as far as I know, it's not closing, as that's the truth. Then I get home and read this bull. This is beyond stupid.

Finally got back from my trip. Went into Game in Victoria train station. Was about to pull the trigger on a £50 white PSP Go, but I decided against it, going to save the money for a Vita. I might get one if it dips under £199 before the end of this year.

Save the money for a Vita? Thought you were a high flying banker...

thechemist

Its £197 @ Asda instore when I last checked mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom