• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
He did, and I did agree with his assessment, I just got greedy!

I feel horrible for saying this, but your ability to throw money into the wind has entertained me reading this thread for the past few days.

I do hate to see people under the bad weather of misfortune, but you are quite the entertainer.
KuGsj.gif

kafiend

The one thing that this threads only known "investor" and all the other potential invisible "investors" need to take from this is:

There's a worlds difference between a volatile stock and a stock that circling the drain.

Moobabe

Just been called in to cover a shift at Gamestation (where I'm not employed) by my Deputy Manager without much of an option and on my day off no less.

Just been called in to cover a shift at Gamestation (where I'm not employed) by my Deputy Manager without much of an option and on my day off no less.

Just one case, I know, but I was wondering when staff no-shows would start (if at all). Remember when Virgin Megastore was going through some rough times, our store Manager disappeared for the entire Christmas Period. Think she works as a 'APPLE GENIUS' somewhere now.

Moobabe

Just one case, I know, but I was wondering when staff no-shows would start (if at all). Remember when Virgin Megastore was going through some rough times, our store Manager disappeared for the entire Christmas Period. Think she works as a 'APPLE GENIUS' somewhere now.

Well it's a concern, certainly, GS employ 6 people in their store, and 4 people won't come in to cover (that includes both the manager and deputy manager.) Instead I'm having to go in on my day off to cover - I can't even use the tills because my TAN doesn't log me in on them!

Seems like a bad idea, unless they're paying cash in hand now.

Or letting my get my wages in sale games....

Any bets on which day staff will walk in to find the shutters closed?

I'm gonna go with next Monday I think - I mean I assume they can at least struggle along a week, though won't make that 2 week prediction - I'll be awfully surprised to see the bank or administrators not wanting to move fast, specially when the end of the financial year is so close

Looks like EA is on board. It's RBS that are behind all this!

More like EA is trying to put on it's best fake concern face at this point. I think he's just trying to sound neutral, in case of the increasingly scant chance GAME pulls through this (or any possible buyout keeps the staff as is) I mean at this point, I imagine management won't be too keen to stock EA games, even if they somehow claw it back, they may as well at least try to keep things civil.

IMO I assume they put themselves on sale because Gamestop stopped being interested (till the administrators pop in anyway) - so then it's a question of who wants to purchase GAME now? I'm not sure if theres anyone else out there who would chance the purchase

Well it's a concern, certainly, GS employ 6 people in their store, and 4 people won't come in to cover (that includes both the manager and deputy manager.) Instead I'm having to go in on my day off to cover - I can't even use the tills because my TAN doesn't log me in on them!

So...how does that work? I mean if you can't log into the till system, how can you even sell anything today? I guess that will be another issue for people hoping to cash in now, will staff even keep stores open? Woolies staff did it for the sake of a last hurrah, I'm not sure that same feeling of goodwill will be with store staff right now.

Don't show up then? It's unlikely you'll get paid.

Why would you bother going in?

Think we're all missing that GAME Group is trending on Twitter..! Linkified should have informed us, really.

I try. I'm more committed to the people I work with than the company - some really good people are going to lose their jobs over this.

Understand that completely. Hope you guys land on your feet.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
and not a single fuck was given that day
by EA

VG247 said:
When asked about a “UK retailer in distress” at a Wedbush Morgan event last week, while specifically avoiding to call it by name, EA CEO John Riccitiello said other retailers will grab hold of the puck that GAME has seemingly let go of.

“I’m really confident that the consumer that wants to buy Mass Effect or Madden or FIFA or whatever, if a particular retailer is gone, other retailers will absorb the business,” he said.

“But I think in the fullness of time, I am extremely confident that, whether it’s UK or France, or United States, et cetera, the retail marketplace will absorb that business.

“I don’t think we’re going to – we might lose 20,000 copies of Mass Effect 3 in the UK for the consumer that can’t figure out another store to go to, but that would even surprise me. I mean I think we’ll sell every unit.

“So, we love great retailer partners, and we, like I mentioned GameStop earlier and Best Buy and Amazon and others. They’re great for us. If one goes away, the other guys pick up the slack. I really don’t see it as anything other than a very temporary dislocation.”

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
goddam it, i never did get my last ditch download order of XBLA points using my reward points. I did so in good time, so I hope its not completely over yet. Fuckers owe me some allards!

Moobabe

Well I'm going in now to trade in my 360 Elite (which I got using my reward points and £20) and I'm going to get a 360 slim maybe while I still can with a bit of staff discount and some trade ins. Silver lining and all!

winstano

1.70 - Brera is about to cash in!

That twitter reply is difficult to read. Whether the member of staff on the end of it genuinely believes it and is being fed that from above, I don't know...

I know twitter is a conduit for gobshites, but the general feeling reading the GAME Group trend topic is that people are actually pleased to see them in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom