• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxas

WTF, there'll be nothing left by then. Are they going to start selling the furnishings or the internal organs of their employees?

funnily enough i remember my local woolworths doing exactly that the day before they went out of existence. (selling the furniture not the organs :p )

I'll never learn! Should have sold at 1.5p! Is this share likely to make it to the end of the day? The price is crashing again! I should take my £150 and call it quits. In fact, I should sell all my shares. My £1000 is worth just £760 now :(

They're going to be worth nothing shortly. I'd cut my losses if I were you.

That reminds me, I saw a preowned version of FIFA Vita for £42.99 in Gamesation before
KuGsj.gif

Yeah, they take the piss. I called them out on it once doing it for FIFA 11. Apparently the store manager didn't realise the Online Pass thing wasn't a DLC but a code to play online multiplayer.

PaulLFC

Seriously contemplating popping down to the Liverpool stores to see if there's anything left. Doubt it though..
Wasn't really much there mate, nothing new from what they had last week anyway. Some prices like Forza, Halo etc had gone up since last week as well. Unless you want cheap consoles or need to spend credit it's probably not worth the trip.

Is that the cut-off point for folks looking to find bargains in their nearest stores?

It's probably the day that Game are declared bankrupt and the stores shuttered rendering any Game store credit/points useless. Anyone with points should go in and spend them now, either on PSN/XBL credit or on some cheap accessory.

NinjaBoiX

I hope GAME closes down, fucking awful company. Every aspect of their service is just, WTF? They have an army of clerks ready to accost you as you walk round, it is ever so slightly intimidating. They offer woeful trade credit, yet charge ludicrous amounts for their stock. They offer a price match, and yet they don't (they will only match an RRP apparently. Yes, that's right, they will match the price, as long as it is the same price). Even if they do price match, they only match with one other store, and they don't match with Gamestation, which GAME group owns, smh. When you get to the till, they bombard you with extra questions:
"Do you need any points today?" (no, I would've asked)
"Do you want to pre-order anything?" (no, what's the point? There is always stock about)
"Do you have a loyalty card?" (no)
"Would you like one for £3?" (no. Wait what? You want to charge me for my loyalty? Are you fucking mental?)
"Remember to trade it in when you are done!" (yeah, for like half the amount I'd get elsewhere. Yeah, I'll do that)
It sucks that people will lose their job, but the company policies are a fucking joke.

I hope GAME closes down, fucking awful company. Every aspect of their service is just, WTF? They have an army of clerks ready to accost you as you walk round, it is ever so slightly intimidating. They offer woeful trade credit, yet charge ludicrous amounts for their stock. They offer a price match, and yet they don't (they will only match an RRP apparently. Yes, that's right, they will match the price, as long as it is the same price). Even if they do price match, they only match with one other store, and they don't match with Gamestation, which GAME group owns, smh. When you get to the till, they bombard you with extra questions:
"Do you want to pre-order anything?" (no, what's the point? There is always stock about)
"Would you like one for £3?" (no. Wait what? You want to charge me for my loyalty? Are you fucking mental?)
"Remember to trade it in when you are done!" (yeah, for like half the amount I'd get elsewhere. Yeah, I'll do that)
It sucks that people will lose their job, but the company policies are a fucking joke.

As far as I'm aware, they're supposed to pricematch any non supermarket price in the local area, although they'll try anything they can to get out of it.

LordAlu

As far as I'm aware, they're supposed to pricematch any non supermarket price in the local area, although they'll try anything they can to get out of it.
They stopped price matching last year. Trade matching they still do, but they've not priced matched for a long time now.

Carl

Just went to my town to see what i could get. GAME is almost completely empty, but that's probably more due to the fact that it shuts down this week.

So went to GameStation which was a bit more full. Of shit. There was me and another chap scrounging through the ps3 games to ser what we could find. Eventually decided on RAGE and Bulletstorm. Turns out Bulletstorm was out of stock, despite there being at least 6 boxes out. Got RAGE in a shattered box. They had no plastic bags to give me. So...yeah.

SmokyDave

They stopped price matching last year. Trade matching they still do, but they've not priced matched for a long time now.

My local GAME still pricematch. They even specifically call out Grainger Games on their signage (grainger are across the way from them).

Its was silly any way to own GAME and Gamestation what point in have two shops on the same street

HMV should try and take the hole seeing how bad they doing with music

Add to the script 'do you have anything to trade today?' - Does the fact that my hands are empty and I haven't given any kind of suggestion I want to trade anything not given it away... grr.

One day when I'd had a particularly testing day in work and was in a slightly bad mood, I popped in to buy something and was reeled off the whole script. After saying no 600 times I said 'I don't mean to be rude, but can't you use some individual discretion with the person you're dealing with to see if they're want to be asked all these questions, or if they just want to buy a game?'. The sales assistant was refreshingly honest and said it was a head office mandate for every single customer, so we got into a chat about it and I was saying how I rarely shopped there because of it, as well as the treatment of all people as idiotic grandparents. Again, he said it was a mandate from head office and he hated seeing people leave in bad moods when they just wanted to buy a game, following it up with 'you wouldn't go into Tesco and be told about all the products you hadn't bought over checkout would you?! Summed Game's directors up for me.

Was thinking back to how Game was in Wrexham when it first opened earlier, before all the stores became identical. Literally It used to have a second floor of full PC games, with lots of cool posters and random stuff you'd never see there anymore, in many ways it was like it's own indie store.

SmokyDave

Fuck man!

I can't sell up! My broker ain't issuing a live price! It's at 1.25 right now!

FUUUUUUCK! Why didn't I listen :-(

Next time you fancy a wager, give your money to kentpaul and let him bang it on the roulette table. You'll quadruple your money
just before he loses it all

Brera

Banned
I'm out.

In total, with buying and selling fees etc, I think I lost £380. That's an iPad 3 :(

I'm burnt out on share trading. I could have been rich. RICH! Knowing my luck, they'll have a HMV style recovery and I'll try into my proteinshake.

Fuck my life!

Metroid: Other M is shit. Fuck you Nintendo. You did this.

I'm out.

In total, with buying and selling fees etc, I think I lost £380. That's an iPad 3 :(

I'm burnt out on share trading. I could have been rich. RICH! Knowing my luck, they'll have a HMV style recovery and I'll try into my proteinshake.

Fuck my life!

:lol

Gazzawa

Just got back from GAME in Ireland. Still no decent deals. Seriously f**k them. Putting a sticker on MS points just because they reduced them by 50cent. Hardware still at same old useless price. Very few preowned titles actually left. All the games that were less than €10 are gone.

micster

If anyone has any ideas what else I can do with it then be my guest.

You could possibly make a Twitter Account and update it with information on the companies situation and deals people have been reporting in their local stores, then put an embed box on the site so you see the tweets on it.

MattyH

hopefully they hold out untill saturday as i cant get into town to check out the game store in my town till friday

nofi

Haha. I'm genuinely unsure what else to do with it. Might as well make the most of my £11. I could have bought GAME for that.

Aggregate some RSS feeds, picking up Google News topics on the subject? Give people a reason to keep coming back.

The rest writes itself...

someone should make a chronology of this guy's "trading" with GAME.
What a fucking joke...after repeatedly being told by lots of folks here you're wrong.
you lost some serious money, dude and it's all your fault.

I'm out.

Fuck my life!

homer.gif

NinjaBoiX

I got NFS The Run on a price match there, but rather than ring Grainger to confirm the price, they had me go and take a photo of the case on my phone. That right there is top notch service. Felt like such a tool...

Brera

Banned
It's called taking a risk.

My mistake was not getting out at the right time. I was £350 in profit at one stage. The banks could have given GAME a decent life line, they still could, who knows? There are people making money out of GAME, even today.

I got burned but many experts get burned as well. Look at all the trading going on today.

Bumhead

Banned
Finally found a good deal after a week of scouring. Picked up a mint condition Joker steelbook edition of Arkham City on PS3 for £19.98. Not a huge deal compared to some but been meaning to pick up the game since the god awful PC version failed me. Was the right price in the right condition and I don't see many of the steelbook versions around.

My local Gamestation is beyond comparison to our GAME branch. So much more on offer.

I'm out.

Fuck my life!

it's a lot of money but people get nowhere in this kind of thing without a bit of a gamble, just see it as a few hundred pounds worth of entertainment for gaf on your expense, you shall not be forgotten!

PaulLFC

Gamestation's website is terrible. All I want is a list of in stock games sorted by price, and to display the maximum number of games per page. Evidently I can't do that, because all of the prices are jumbled up despite the fact my search settings are supposed to have been applied.

As someone who's done the odd bit of web development here and there it infuriates me - if you're developing a site for a well-known company and it's in that state, why would you even put it live?

Brera

Banned
If nothing else when the dust settles you'll probably get a tag immortalizing this moment forever for your 380 quid.

I don't think that's even likely. This thread although has been busy, it's mainly UKGaf, not a mod to be seen for a tag!

The lesson I've learned is that greed really is all consuming. I could have been £80 better off if I had sold at 1300hrs.

Carl

I don't think that's even likely. This thread although has been busy, it's mainly UKGaf, not a mod to be seen for a tag!

The lesson I've learned is that greed really is all consuming. I could have been £80 better off if I had sold at 1300hrs.

Ah well. Like DiabloHead said, at least you brought much joy and amusement to Gaffers

Today has felt like I'm working on a sinking ship. Now even my boss, who usually makes light of every situation, has told me to get my CV ready.

We're literally selling everything, random stock we have lying around up-stairs (Family Fitness Trainer, PS1 games, unboxed titles etc) and even new stock is dropping in price. There was one point today where our promo TV's in GameStation (that advertise upcoming games) all went blank for about two minutes. When they came back on, the promo reel was gone and it just had a static Game Station logo in the centre.

Morale in GAME is even worse. I nipped into their shop after I finished work and it's mostly all doom and gloom. We've at least been trying to stay positive for our customers, but many have twigged we may be closing and have just wished us the best of luck. I even have had one customer apologise they don't buy many games from us. It's not like it's all her fault. I've also been telling everyone today to spend their credit ASAP just in case the worst comes to worst.

Also, my boss found some retro stock during his clear out upstairs. Good haul or greatest haul? All this for £13.50;

SDC13552.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom