• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
After getting rocked most of the day I slapped vergil on my team and have a 5 win streak right now, lol. Using Phoenix Wright/Frank West/Vergil for now.

Papercuts said:
After getting rocked most of the day I slapped vergil on my team and have a 5 win streak right now, lol. Using Phoenix Wright/Frank West/Vergil for now.
That's exactly what happened to me, but I used Wesker instead of Vergil.
KuGsj.gif

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The input shortcuts in this fucking game are so awful. Actually worse than street fighter IV, which I thought was impossible. Holy shit. Wowsers.

Zero's level 7 trial is so hard. Doing his QCF fireball, cancelling it into QCB hyper, then comboing into st.M.

So what's the consensus on the viability of Phoenix Wright? Viable? Merely annoying gimmick? Dark Wright Rising? What are we talking here?

--

Any streams still going on?

Masamuna

Another tidbit about IronFist:

Immediately cancelling a rekka into chi is NOT safe. If they advanced guard it should be okay to chi cancel since it can get you can get you ass back in sooner, but if they don't you'll eat a combo. It seems like if you want to take advantage of the super armor you have to cancel it as late as possible due to the block stun.

Another thing about chi is that the super armor activates at different times depending on when he poses (just assuming). Green chi feels to be the fastest and on slower attacks like Cap's jS or the twins Killer Bee you can parry on reaction. On faster attacks like most divekicks it can be snuffed unless you do it urly.

corrosivefrost said:
So what's the consensus on the viability of Phoenix Wright? Viable? Merely annoying gimmick? Dark Wright Rising? What are we talking here?
He requires a lot of effort, but I would say he's certainly viable on the right team.

Yeah, you want to get him out of investigation mode ASAP, his normals in trial mode feel much better at least. Also, lag destroys him, but then again, that happens to everyone =/

Riou

corrosivefrost said:

--

The offcast stream is still on and clockwork is playing =)

Papercuts

corrosivefrost said:

--

You NEED to make a team around him. But he's definitely going to be good, because it isn't hard to get evidence, and worst case scenario you can just do a THC into objection. The invincible assist is fucking amazing. I also think he'll be a good counter to the other phoenix with his level 3 in that mode.

corrosivefrost said:

--

The consensus is that Turnabout mode Wright is legit and the new Phoenix, but no one is yet to figure a way to consistently get Turnabout mode. A lot more work is necessary to turn Phoenix Wright viable.

As for streams,

http://www.twitch.tv/offcast

Touch

Arde5643 said:
My god at Clockwork's Strider - how the fuck do you block that mix-up and lockdown?
You don't. Just mash and hope for the best. But really for his team taking out the Ammy assist is very important. Once you do that then you just have to deal with Strider/Doom... ohwait

shaowebb

GGS fellow scrubGaf-ers. Running random sets was a blast. I honestly have no clue how to control Captain America or fight him. Don't know what happened with Magneto when I got him... I guess my brain went full derp after running so many random sets with rushdown cast that I forgot how to fly and dash mashing H lol.

Still I got like a 8 or 9 game winstreak and thats the best I've done in a while. Feels kinda wrong though considering how many times you guys got saddled with Joe. Either way...GGS.

shaowebb

Masamuna said:
Another tidbit about IronFist:

Immediately cancelling a rekka into chi is NOT safe. If they advanced guard it should be okay to chi cancel since it can get you can get you ass back in sooner, but if they don't you'll eat a combo. It seems like if you want to take advantage of the super armor you have to cancel it as late as possible due to the block stun.

Another thing about chi is that the super armor activates at different times depending on when he poses (just assuming). Green chi feels to be the fastest and on slower attacks like Cap's jS or the twins Killer Bee you can parry on reaction. On faster attacks like most divekicks it can be snuffed unless you do it urly.

I'm just running double motions with it on blockstrings since it'll at least absorb 1 with its armor and allow you a chance to hyper punish them. Go into blockstring rekka cancel crumple into pink chi and double the motion while throwing on an extra button to go into Flame pillar hyper. Its a 50/50 that either does solid chip or leads into big damage punishment. Either way you stay pretty safe because it generates a decent amount of blockstun. Might find myself eating a counter hyper with invincibility if I try that on the wrong guy though so maaaaaaybe I should stop doing it unless they're out of meter or I got somekind of DHC option to deal with that sort of thing.

Nemesis/Magneto/Firebrand
Dr.Strange/Iron Man/Wesker
Dormammu/Strider/Doom

Fear me.

corrosivefrost said:

--

Phoenix Wright/Dante/Felicia is the best ace attorney team.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Timedog said:
The input shortcuts in this fucking game are so awful. Actually worse than street fighter IV, which I thought was impossible. Holy shit. Wowsers.

Zero's level 7 trial is so hard. Doing his QCF fireball, cancelling it into QCB hyper, then comboing into st.M.
This game doesn't have input shortcuts. It does have an input buffer that is a little too wide for its own good though.

shaowebb

God's Beard said:
Phoenix Wright/Rocket Raccoon/Storm is the only best ace attorney team.
Fixed. Seriously...try that shit. Log plus Whirlwind equates to some solid damn defense against teleports, and rushdown. Maya handles the projectiles so just call assist, QCF L, and start grabbing.

Oddly enough though I keep ending up on time outs with PW even though I get Turnabout mode before I even hit 2 meters.

I guess if were listing teams right now mine are.

Iron Fist/Firebrand/Storm
Spencer/Ryu/Storm
and
Spencer/Rocket Raccoon/Storm

What can I say...that mohawk outfit is NICE.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Sixfortyfive said:
This game doesn't have input shortcuts. It does have an input buffer that is a little too wide for its own good though.
Then how come the inputs showed a perfect QCF at the end (the last inputs I did) and dragon punch came out? That's a shortcut.

Yo is the epic 5 min intro not in this game? I saw an emtpy spot in the gallery and thought that would be its spot but its the damn credits. No more spots open either =(

shaowebb said:
Fixed. Seriously...try that shit. Log plus Whirlwind equates to some solid damn defense against teleports, and rushdown. Maya handles the projectiles so just call assist, QCF L, and start grabbing.

Oddly enought though I keep ending up on time outs with PW even though I get Turnabout mode before I even hit 2 meters.

You do have to hit people eventually, you know?

Phoenix Wright/Dante/Felicia

• Dante(wall or snow) and Felicia(low kick) both have assists with a ton of active frames to keep the opponent locked down for movement and gathering evidence
  • Dante is a safe DHC and can deal with any team alone
  • Phoenix/Dante lvl 2 THC is free evidence and guaranteed objection
  • Felicia means unblockables to help make up for Phoenix' lack of rushdown capability
  • Felicia is also huge for Dante
  • lvl 3 x-factor Felicia is a monster

n3ss

aka acr0nym
God's Beard said:
Nemesis/Magneto/Firebrand
Dr.Strange/Iron Man/Wesker
Dormammu/Strider/Doom

Fear me.

Phoenix Wright/Dante/Felicia is the best ace attorney team.

Wesker/Nemesis/Strider is where it's at!

Masamuna

shaowebb said:
I'm just running double motions with it on blockstrings since it'll at least absorb 1 with its armor and allow you a chance to hyper punish them. Go into blockstring rekka cancel crumple into pink chi and double the motion while throwing on an extra button to go into Flame pillar hyper. Its a 50/50 that either does solid chip or leads into big damage punishment. Either way you stay pretty safe because it generates a decent amount of blockstun. Might find myself eating a counter hyper with invincibility if I try that on the wrong guy though so maaaaaaybe I should stop doing it unless they're out of meter or I got somekind of DHC option to deal with that sort of thing.

But like I said, doing any rekka immediately into chi is not safe with out precise timing and possibly also chi dependent due to SA activation timing. It is not a feint like seismo cancels or makoto's HC's in street. I've been testing this all weekend, and if the opponent is mashing they will most likely hit you before the armor activates. And unless SotD hyper has invincibility they'll mash you out of that too, or block it and get a free punish. Now FoF does have invincibility after its initial startup and judging by Sephi's videos should be useful for confirming after parry.

Now delaying the chi should be a different story. Activating near the end of the rekka's block stun should allow the armor window to overlap with their retaliation.

RS4-

devastatorprime said:
Yo is the epic 5 min intro not in this game? I saw an emtpy spot in the gallery and thought that would be its spot but its the damn credits. No more spots open either =(

The one with the "inception" music? It's there when I boot up if you're talking about that one.

vg260

WTF is Spidey's OTG for? Why did they give him such a crap one? I can't land it to save my life.

Anyone have stick motions tips for using it?

Seems like they only gave this just to technically say they gave him one. What's the point if the window is so incredibly small as to make it useless. Might as well not have one. I guess they want you to swing into Max Spider instead. I dunno. Why couldn't they have given him a legit one? Am I missing something? This "buff" along with keeping the web swing a RDP motion is pissing me off.

Cap's OTG is so easy Gah.

shaowebb said:
Its called chip damage. I thought you played Q?
And if you want to chip people, it's probably a good idea to be in turnabout mode, which requires hitting someone.

And Q is definitely not a chip-oriented character.

Papercuts

Seraphis Cain said:
I've mostly noticed people activating Trial mode, swapping out, then team air combo'ing back to Wright and hitting it in the air.

Yeah, this is the easiest way so far. I also have kind of a dick strategy of doing it but it won't work after people see you do it. I like to basically throw out an assist, back off and make it wide open for a punish, then use objection when they try to attack.

shaowebb

God's Beard said:
And if you want to chip people, it's probably a good idea to be in turnabout mode, which requires hitting someone.

And Q is definitely not a chip-oriented character.
I wouldn't really know since I've never played him, but I'm just talking spam damage adds up and is indeed a viable strategy in this game is all.
Besides if I can play keep away enough to quickly get turnabout mode before I even earn a full meter then I'm gonna use his assists to fish for Storm and Rocket Raccoon Setups. Raccoon especially given his lows.

I'll get Phoenix to hit someone with Log assist anyhow. The way it hits sets up for the range on objection to connect pretty easily. Plus Storm assist from mid screen out and a jumping finger usually equals the start of a combo anyhow to land it from. I respect your team, but I'm not even close to having to worry about Phoenix with that log and the pushback from Storm whirlwind. I may have to worry against Hawkeye arrows but I'm rolling Maya for projectile blockage anyhow so they're generally kept away.

I respect your team, but I just think this one may be easier. Plus RR and Storm can handle themselves alone pretty well too.

shaowebb

God's Beard said:
Simpler, maybe. But I doubt it's a consistent strategy, relying on your opponent to get tagged by logs.
Keeps out the teleporters and forces mistakes :D
I'm no expert, but this is working and its easy. Thats all I need. Course I may just be in love with the log and that Mohawk costume right now, but I doubt it.
God's Beard said:
then why did you...
CFRYi.png
Cause I just see people punishing Phoenix using teleports. Team is good for combos, but I can see losing Phoenix before he gets into turnabout relying so heavily on Jam session. Vajra assist screwed my Phoenix pretty badly earlier and if they wait till after a jam session is nearly out, pop it and move in its rough.

Nori Chan

So mad they didn't have the new testament at Gamestop today.

I'll try best buy tomorrow.

edit: nvm they don't have it on their website. Where should I go to get it fellas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom