• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Clockw0rk VS. Yipes is too good on the offcast stream. Yipes destroying everything in his path until this match was crazy hype as well.

BiggNife

Does anyone have any tips for consistently getting Nova's OTG fist slam after an air combo? I'm having trouble timing it right and I can't figure out why. It's frustrating the hell out of me.

Also I'm surprised I haven't seen more Firebrand online. He's a great anchor.

shaowebb

BiggNife said:
Does anyone have any tips for consistently getting Nova's OTG fist slam after an air combo? I'm having trouble timing it right and I can't figure out why. It's frustrating the hell out of me.

O_O ???
There are no words for this. I keep running into him for some reason. Maybe its a local thing. Feel lucky.

Clipse

Noriega said:
So mad they didn't have the new testament at Gamestop today.

I'll try best buy tomorrow.

edit: nvm they don't have it on their website. Where should I go to get it fellas?
Saw quite a few guides at my local BB today. Weird that they don't have it listed at all on their website..

Neki

BiggNife said:

honestly I've found it highly unreliable unless I do a flight combo right before it. if you flight mode combo it almost always hits.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Loving the game, but some of the new character pics seems pretty lame... I'll play maybe 4 of the new ones... but nova, rocket raccoon, Phoenix Wright, iron fist etc. Damn they knocked on the ugly tree to get some of these lame ass characters...

Marvel sure got the dirty end of the stick...

Godammit forming a new team turned out harder than I thought. The bits and pieces I need are scattered across several characters much to my dismay. I just tried out Firebrand and I'm pissed that his OTG assist is so slow. The demon feels ABSOLUTELY perfect to use, his OTG team hyper is useful as fuck and I like his combos, but his assists bring nothing to my game. I've tried Strider, Vergil Frank and a few others, but it is the same story.

None of the newcomers I'm interested in bring an assist as good as Cold Star, Gold pendulum or even Dark Harmonizer. Firebrand was so close to being the second locked spot on the team too...

:'(
DarkoMaledictus said:
Loving the game, but some of the new character pics seems pretty lame... I'll play maybe 4 of the new ones... but nova, rocket raccoon, Phoenix Wright, iron fist etc. Damn they knocked on the ugly tree to get some of these lame ass characters...

Marvel sure got the dirty end of the stick...
They made their choice.

V_Arnold

SolarPowered said:
Godammit forming a new team turned out harder than I thought. The bits and pieces I need are scattered across several characters much to my dismay. I just tried out Firebrand and I'm pissed that his OTG assist is so slow. The demon feels ABSOLUTELY perfect to use, his OTG team hyper is useful as fuck and I like his combos, but his assists bring nothing to my game. I've tried Strider, Vergil Frank and a few others, but it is the same story.

None of the newcomers I'm interested in bring an assist as good as Cold Star, Gold pendulum or even Dark Harmonizer. Firebrand was so close to being the second locked spot on the team too...

They made their choice.

Wtf, man. Even if someone does not have a good assist, that does not stop them from being usable. Do you see any Phoenix teams running around because of her assist? Yeah, right..

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
SolarPowered said:

They made their choice.

Yeah I too was looking at firebrand, nice speed, nice combos, nice keep away game... but poor assists :(.

Hawkeye has some very fast arrow assist on the other hand...

Nikashi

Banned
Okay, I am officially picking this up on Friday, add me anyone who wants to play me. I am like, low-mid tier and will probably get my ass kicked, but this is at least a fun game for it to happen in :p

Gamertag : Nikashi

Also I am trying to built a team around Tron Bonne and Phoenix Wright, think it could be successful?

Mit-

Got the chance to try online today. Netcode was noticeably improved. Very glad about that :) Have yet to see how it performs in a large lobby with spectators though.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Mit- said:
Got the chance to try online today. Netcode was noticeably improved. Very glad about that :) Have yet to see how it performs in a large lobby with spectators though.

It's. I usually get little lag to medium lag with hawaiian and Californian in mvc3, but it have been lessen big time which is very nice thing.

Man am I having fun with Zero/Wesker. Been mostly playing Vergil in the third slot so far, but I did well with Strider there too. Not that I know how to do anything with Strider yet.

Kyoufu

Mit- said:

Spectators have their own hosts, seperate from the two actually playing.

Strider, Vergil and Firebrand are pretty fun, but I'm still not comfortable enough with any of them to make a team. Ammy is staying and the Vanilla cast is looking pretty hot right now(Wesker, Dr.Doom and Spencer especially).

Damn, I've never been at such a loss when choosing my character(s) before.

Oh, I tested out Morrigan further and finishing shower doesn't have THAT much more flexibility/speed. It was buffed slightly, but that is it. Meterfist also combos with 6M, but only at point blank range. Her XF3 damage was cut pretty damn severely to boot. You need to know her above average combos to kill someone in XF3 without blowing your Darkness illusion too quickly. Hsien-Ko's jump cancels only work well with gongs and bleh that doesn't matter much. The background voice that says "looks tasty!" whenever she throws meat is both hilarious and sad.

Gonna give the game another go tomorrow then.

Fake edit: Holy shit SPENCER MY GOD. Ryu and Chris were taking steroids over the summer while Spencer took some of that SPEED. The dude is swinging/zipping everywhere like Tarzan and Batman combined.
Ultimoo said:
not feeling it as much this time around though. not as fun as first day of vanilla. hopefully it grows on me.
It's not like we were begging for a new game after ten years

Toski

I'm having a hard time making my Spider-Man/Hawkeye/Nova team work. Looks like I may have to substitute Hawkeye for Iron Man.

And after playing Ultimate Iron Man, I want vanilla Iron Man back. Double Jump and better tri-dash over whatever buffs he got in this game.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Somehow I accidentally clicked on page 102 and saw pictures of burgers, which led me to find out that we have a Five Guys in/around Portland. Time to do a 1.5 hour round trip bus trip just to go to five guys. Luckily the only bus I need to take is right outside my house.

Thread keeps on delivering.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So like I was immediately playing people when I don't even know how to do special moves and hypers for whomever I was using. Definitely have to hit training mode a little. Did a lot better than I expected. I was just trying to use fundamentals, need to learn combos, move properties and such. A lot of my losses were pretty close.

61FPS! Streaming was a success. Shoutouts to Art for blowing it up. I just need 5 more followers for a badge.

Will probably be streaming PSN tonight. So PSN crew get ready.

Mit-

I've been at a loss for choosing a new team too.

I don't know which, if any of the new characters will really be viable in 6 months or so (Strider has the best chance I believe), and I don't know which of the vanilla cast will really remain viable, except for Wesker, Spencer, and Magneto, but I only play Wesker out of those three. Considering picking up Spencer. I drop too many double-button inputs for the airdash heavy combos of Magneto (I need to mash harderz).

We have a fairly decent competitive scene in Detroit, and with the release of Ultimate I've decided to chuck character loyalty and interest out the window and just pick an actually good, viable team.

But I don't have 6+ months of tournament footage and top level play to know who's da best :(

TGMIII

Really want to use trish but she just doesn't seem worth the time compared to so many other characters I wouldn't mind playing. Still playing around with everyone trying to find some sort of team that works. Was thinking about firebrand/doom/trish but I'm not 100% on any of them.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
If anyone is in Rhode Island or nearby. Stop by the MLG Pro Circuit Nationals event this weekend at the convention center. Visit me at the Mad Catz booth and let's play some Ultimate MVC3 <3 !

Mit- said:
I've been at a loss for choosing a new team too.

I don't know which, if any of the new characters will really be viable in 6 months or so (Strider has the best chance I believe), and I don't know which of the vanilla cast will really remain viable, except for Wesker, Spencer, and Magneto, but I only play Wesker out of those three. Considering picking up Spencer. I drop too many double-button inputs for the airdash heavy combos of Magneto (I need to mash harderz).

We have a fairly decent competitive scene in Detroit, and with the release of Ultimate I've decided to chuck character loyalty and interest out the window and just pick an actually good, viable team.

But I don't have 6+ months of tournament footage and top level play to know who's da best :(

As J Wong said, the balance of this game is close to SSF4 and there are only a few characters that are in danger of not being viable. The gap between the top and mid tier wouldn't be big, and mid tier characters will become top tier in the right team. So as long as you stay away from Hsien Ko, Rocket Raccoon, Phoenix Wright, Tron (my guess for the characters that will end up bottom tier) your team will be fine. Wesker and Spencer were not so well known BFF in vanilla and will still be one of the strongest pairings in UMvC3. Pair them with someone like Akuma or Frank West (shopping cart will be the new Akuma Tatsu) and your team will be top tier. I will be surprised if someone in the EVO2012 top 8 doesn't play that pairing.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
OMG, wesker's teleports. I have no idea what to do. Also, I can't find a way to get in with Ryu on point. Seems like he does good damage when I do get in though.

Fuck, I need that guide. I will read that entire 600 page guide in a weekend.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think I'm gonna get rid of my Gears 3 for my own UMVC after class gets out today. I was thinking about buying the guide, but I probably wouldn't understand half of it. I figure that I would ask as someone who's foreign to fighting games; Where can I find a guide to general fighting games? Like, not even MvC, but I don't know what zoning, armor, crossups, etc even are.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
zoner said:
I think I'm gonna get rid of my Gears 3 for my own UMVC after class gets out today. I was thinking about buying the guide, but I probably wouldn't understand half of it. I figure that I would ask as someone who's foreign to fighting games; Where can I find a guide to general fighting games? Like, not even MvC, but I don't know what zoning, armor, crossups, etc even are.
I think the guide actually covers all that.

zoner said:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_fighting_games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFTvXXoDNRA

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-srk-glossary-wip.91061/

And yeah the guide is quite newbie friendly so you shouldn't worry too much about not understanding it.

SmokeMaxX

zoner said:
Buy the guide. It's amazing and far better than what almost anyone can tell you unless you live in SoCal or New York and have access to a wide variety of high quality players.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
SmokeMaxX said:
Buy the guide. It's amazing and far better than what almost anyone can tell you unless you live in SoCal or New York and have access to a wide variety of high quality players.
I live in Alabama, but we actually have a pretty good group of people that play. I've gone and watched since I'm friends with a few, but sadly it kind of goes. Me ->no beginner level->no medium level->tons of high level->way higher level

QisTopTier said:
Darn I finally lost. xD oh well at least I'm tenth place on win streaks now I can finally sleep.
I still have yet to go online. I won't feel comfortable heading out there until I have two solid teams set up.

Just thinking with all the Avengers in game and marvel trying to promote the hell out of their movie characters I bet we see Loki as dlc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom