• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr. puppy

Banned
i'm really beginning to dig Frank + Phoenix Wright as characters. They completely change team dynamics in a way similar to Dark Phoenix, making that characters design not as retarded too.

All I'm gonna ask is one simple question. Is the Mayor of Earth still a viable character after his assist nerf? I can't remember hearing of any real buffs he received, and I just love using the guy.

I used to use Dorm, Haggar, Akuma...but I'm not a very practiced player. I used all three basically because they were easy to pick up, and Haggar swings a mean pipe.

Xevren

zlatko said:
Been playing a shit ton of mission mode. I'm on #10 for Iron Fist and I swear I'm not even going to attempt training mode or online matches until I get this.

I've broken it down and can do all of it, but the issue I constantly have is the first part where after you down H, down H, toward H, jump H, Jump S, then it wants a stand H into more combo... well that fucking stand H is like 1 in a million for me to hit.

I've tried going fast, slowing it down, neutral jump when you get to the jump portion etc. I've only hit that part twice at random, but the rest of the combo I have down pat if I can just figure that first part out I'll be golden.

Iron Fist is top tier... seriously. Biggest surprise is how godlike Ghost Rider is once you play him. He too is top tier no doubt.

Frank is this game's Phoenix though. <_<

Only once have I ever gotten that standing H in after the jumping chain. It's just another stupid unconventional combo in mission mode, it would be immensely easier if it was a standing M into H.

KingOfReading said:
All I'm gonna ask is one simple question. Is the Mayor of Earth still a viable character after his assist nerf? I can't remember hearing of any real buffs he received, and I just love using the guy.

I used to use Dorm, Haggar, Akuma...but I'm not a very practiced player. I used all three basically because they were easy to pick up, and Haggar swings a mean pipe.
Swap Haggar and Dorm around and you're good.

Grifter

day 2 local vs. cheese - charge up PW as frank blocks with cart assist, tag in frank to take snapshots under cover of near-invulnerable PW assist, get to level 2 and roll through them ambiguously during PW assist :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So how do you reliably control where you/the opponent lands after an air Magic Series? I'm working on a Wesker/Storm combo:

L, M, H, S, air L, M, H, S, Storm Whirlwind assist, Lower Butterfly Shot (the Storm assist hits after LBS though, obviously), Maximum Wesker

And when it works, it's a great combo, about 566,000 damage. But I can only manage to get Wesker to land close enough to hit the Lower Butterfly Shot about half the time. Am I doing something wrong or is it just not possible?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
God's Beard said:
It used to be much shorter and I'm sure that I was able to use it in the air. It seems like Strider's ouroboros doesn't last as long, either.

Thank God.

Grifter said:
day 2 local vs. cheese - charge up PW as frank blocks with cart assist, tag in frank to take snapshots under cover of near-invulnerable PW assist, get to level 2 and roll through them ambiguously during PW assist :lol

What a beautiful troll.

Is anyone else having issues on the PS3 where the audio randomly drops during certain matches, then comes back in when the next match starts? I had this problem with regular MvC3, and I'm having the same issue with Ultimate. I'd attribute it to perhaps a bad HDMI cable, but these two games are the ONLY ones I'm having issues with.

RedNumberFive said:
Is anyone else having issues on the PS3 where the audio randomly drops during certain matches, then comes back in when the next match starts? I had this problem with regular MvC3, and I'm having the same issue with Ultimate. I'd attribute it to perhaps a bad HDMI cable, but these two games are the ONLY ones I'm having issues with.
I have had this on vanilla MvC3 as well, especially when there was a glitch used in the previous match.

but im on 360

The Abominable Snowman said:
I have had this on vanilla MvC3 as well, especially when there was a glitch used in the previous match.

but im on 360
Yeah, it's driving me nuts! Thanks for verifying that I'm not the only one with this issue.

Grifter

RedNumberFive said:
Weird one, never encountered that ever on any friends' PS3. I used to get high sound bumps on 360 but assumed it was my receiver hookups.

Hmm... Magneto's Disruptor assist is only 14 frames faster than Unibeam, and active for less than half the time. They really nerfed it.

Seraphis Cain said:
So how do you reliably control where you/the opponent lands after an air Magic Series? I'm working on a Wesker/Storm combo:

L, M, H, S, air L, M, H, S, Storm Whirlwind assist, Lower Butterfly Shot, Maximum Wesker

And when it works, it's a great combo, about 566,000 damage. But I can only manage to get Wesker to land close enough to hit the Lower Butterfly Shot about half the time. Am I doing something wrong or is it just not possible?

dash before doing the low shot, and hit the jump s as late as possible.

vg260

Timedog said:
NOT SHIPPING MY MVC3 GUIDE TIL DECEMBER 19TH? FUCK YOU, AMAZON.

Don't panic. Amazon often has wonkiness like this when they're in the process of receiving/processing stock. I've seen it go from a release date, to 1-3 months, to in-stock within a couple days.

Seraphis Cain said:

L, M, H, S, air L, M, H, S, Storm Whirlwind assist, Lower Butterfly Shot (the Storm assist hits after LBS though, obviously), Maximum Wesker

In the air, do M, M, H, S. That's the standard air magic series. Dash in to do the gunshot if you need to, it's really quick.

KingOfReading said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyLPO7KNh2c

He has received significant buffs, Curtie Pie was doing very well with him in both of the Ultimate Norcal vs Capcom tourneys. It's just a question of getting in with him against the buffed up zoning. Swap Akuma with Sentinel and I think you should be ready to go.

Ken

Having trouble with Vergil's mission 7. After the first trick, I have to do a crouching H, but when I come out of trick there seems to be a pause where I can't input anything. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: When I mash H while croushing as the trick animation goes, Vergil always attacks too late or Dormammu falls too fast? I'm a beginner so maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Edit: Nevermind, finally landed a crouching H after trick. Now to remember to follow up with the rest of the combo instead of being amazed and stopping halfway lol.

Tizoc said:
Has anyone, playing online, while blocking was suddenly set into a neutrel position?
Some of the people I chat with had this happen to them when playing online.

had this happen last night. I think its lag or something and dropping your block input.

LakeEarth

KingOfReading said:

His assist is not THAT nerfed. Sure if someone does a hyper in front of your face you can't call the assist (since it has 2 frames of vulnerability now), but it still works really well.

KingOfReading said:

he's better on point now. his assist is still good, it still beats out a lot of stuff, but not everything.

Neki

PolarBearsClub said:
Tron is so God Awful in this game it's hilarious.

I think I might pick up Spidey and Deadpool. I actually landed a Ultimate Web Throw reset yesterday.

yeah she is.

Mit-

Ultimate Web Throw resets are so bad now :( The entire cast can tech forward out of anything and knock him out of the reset. Definitely not viable in the long run. I think he's really fun the play around with, and if people aren't ready for it, I tend to stomp them even harder in Ultimate with Spidey (web ball cancels to web glide is good), but I know that top players in my area and especially the country would stomp any Spider-Man with better characters.

OSHAN

robut said:
Got my Amazon code emailed. Waiting on Best Buy.

Can't wait for the streams tonight!!

Waiting on Best Buy here as well. Have you pre-ordered anything from them with DLC bonus before? Wasn't sure how long they normally take.

Teknoman

Twisted-Gamer said:
After play ok in the Scrub gaf last night, i went 0-10 in ranked this morning :(

I think im playing Nova wrong lol

Will the scrub gaf be active tonight? :) cant wait to get off work

i got the amazon code this morning

Hope so, today I should be free after work too.

vg260

Mit- said:
Ultimate Web Throw resets are so bad now :( The entire cast can tech forward out of anything and knock him out of the reset. Definitely not viable in the long run. I think he's really fun the play around with, and if people aren't ready for it, I tend to stomp them even harder in Ultimate with Spidey (web ball cancels to web glide is good), but I know that top players in my area and especially the country would stomp any Spider-Man with better characters.

I'd be surprised if he's not worse overall now. Buffs seem insignificant compared to nerfs. OTG seems worthless, unless I'm missing something obvious.

2&2 said:
I'd be surprised if he's not worse overall now. Buffs seem insignificant compared to nerfs. OTG seems worthless, unless I'm missing something obvious.
only thing otg is good for is for a mixup situation or solo combo after airthrow. problem with this is his airthrow game got nerfed since he can't block during airdash.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
As someone who double-dipped, this game is noticeably better on 360. All the slight pauses/freezes that occur in menus and when playing in arcade on PS3 are not present.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. Seriously, I don't. Nothing in the world makes me feel like more of a defeated loser than trying to play fighters online. It always seems like everyone is better than me, and I never seem to retain anything I learn. I can do a combo a hundred times then forget it or fuck it up 10 minutes later. My brain misplaces inputs or my fingers don't respond the way my brain tells them to, and it's just unbelievably frustrating. I don't think I've ever finished a session feeling good about myself. It's a slippery slope, starting with "God, I suck at fighters" to "God, I suck at everything, why do I even try?". And I hate it, because I know that's not the right way to think.

I wish these games weren't so damn appealing to me for some reason. =/

Mit-

2&2 said:
The only thing his OTG is really good for is combos off air throws midscreen.

Grifter

Lyte Edge said:
As someone who double-dipped, this game is noticeably better on 360. All the slight pauses/freezes that occur in menus and when playing in arcade on PS3 are not present.
Thanks, I noticed this on a friends' copies of MvC3 and SF4 as well, is this a common occurrence in cross-platformers or just Capcom?

Teknoman

Seraphis Cain said:
I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. Seriously, I don't. Nothing in the world makes me feel like more of a defeated loser than trying to play fighters online. It always seems like everyone is better than me, and I never seem to retain anything I learn. I can do a combo a hundred times then forget it or fuck it up 10 minutes later. My brain misplaces inputs or my fingers don't respond the way my brain tells them to, and it's just unbelievably frustrating. I don't think I've ever finished a session feeling good about myself. It's a slippery slope, starting with "God, I suck at fighters" to "God, I suck at everything, why do I even try?". And I hate it, because I know that's not the right way to think.

I wish these games weren't so damn appealing to me for some reason. =/

Ah dont worry, some people online will just stick with the same chain of combos over and over if they know they can get someone stuck in that chain with no hope of recovery. Others will mix it up while others just spam stuff. The last two are usually the least frustrating since you can actually come out on top even if you mess up.

Just try to do a few combos or change things up on the fly and you'll be alright. One thing i've learned about Marvel is that you just have to adapt to the situation on the fly. Sometimes you'll get lucky, so dont be scared of experimenting mid fight.

One thing you should try to learn about, which is what i'm also doing, are off the ground attacks/hypers. They really help out in the long run.

Cynar

RedNumberFive said:
Are you using a PC monitor to play? I only noticed this on those

Lyte Edge said:
Looks like I'm going 360. All that plus custom soundtracks sealed the deal so to speak.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Teknoman said:
One thing you should try to learn about, which is what i'm also doing, are off the ground attacks/hypers. They really help out in the long run.

Yeah, so I've noticed. OTG's really screw me up a lot of the time.

I think so much of my problem is mental, though. If I'm losing partway through a match, I just get depressed and stop trying, at worst I'll even just put the controller down and give up. Or, on the flip-side, if I'm winning, I get so nervous trying to focus on not fucking up that I end up doing exactly that. And it's like, LITERALLY nervous. Like, shaking and heart racing and everything. I put so much importance on winning and proving to myself that I'm not awful that it just fucks me up.

Meh, I think I might just be the wrong personality type to play this. I don't know.

Clipse

OSHAN said:
Waiting on Best Buy here as well. Have you pre-ordered anything from them with DLC bonus before? Wasn't sure how long they normally take.
Been keeping up with BB's customer service forum (http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming-Gadgets/bd-p/Gaming_New) and it seems like a lot of people haven't been getting any pre-order codes for any games that released this week (UMvC3, Saints Row & AC: Revelations). I'm never pre-ordering from Best Buy ever again.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I dunno why they felt the need to fix some things that weren't even broke, lol. But anywho, a few small pointers on any who are annoyed with the changes, like me:

Special cancelling (not jump cancelling) Gustaf Fire into Drill / Bonne Strike into Hypers seems to be the way, now. Do it before the drill fully hits, so you get that heavy knockback, rather than the old aerial launch.

After a drill, catching them with a weak punch is a lot tighter than the old catch with medium, but it still works to chain into medium -> Combos of choice.

The old way of "Jump Medium, Jump Heavy, S" seems to rarely work now, and it seems to be better to just jump up with H immediately, and then S.

Cross-Up H to Drill isn't as bad as it could be. Not my favorite thing, but it's not impossibly hard to do or anything.

Maybe I need to pair her up with Frank... she gets all these ridiculous hits anyway, might as well put them to good use!

And btw, I thought Bandit Boulder was suppose to OTG by itself now, and that she'd gain this new ability to combo out of it? Seems the same, except for it being special cancellable now -_-; Guess it'll lead to some nice resets and frametraps in the future, and probably work very well with certain assist...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Felicia's jump loops seem a little bit easier now but it's going to take a while to get used to using charge moves mid-combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom