• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professor Beef said:
Why couldn't they streamline the constant saving this game does?
Seriously

I turned off the DLC notification, but the game keeps checking for it anyway. This game has so much clutter between the matches and it drives me kinda nuts. Way too much saving going on here.
Ultimoo said:
nova is like the perfect point character, he's replaced tron as my favourite character. he's got amazing throw game, comboing off a throw from anywhere is amazing. only problem is low health, and he really has no low attack options on the ground.
Those things, his awkward timing on f.H and the lack of a hyper with real invincibility frames(I know about projectile invul). He is perfect otherwise. He is very nearly everything I wanted him to be.

This is why I cant play online =( TheMadnessBeast will have to retire from PSN srubGAF for a while until I can figure out why my internet is so bad.
1598688832.png

And I'm so sad I have to wait till next year for dat Gloria and Udon Taskmaster, shit is just ridiculous.

SmokeMaxX

devastatorprime said:
This is why I cant play online =( TheMadnessBeast will have to retire from PSN srubGAF for a while until I can figure out why my internet is so bad.
1598688832.png

And I'm so sad I have to wait till next year for dat Gloria and Udon Taskmaster, shit is just ridiculous.
If you're using DSL, THAT'S why your internet is so bad.

90% of the time DSL sucks for online gaming.

SmokeMaxX said:
If you're using DSL, THAT'S why your internet is so bad.

90% of the time DSL sucks for online gaming.
While I agree DSL isnt the greatest I've never really had any issues for online gaming. The majority of the time its smooth sailing but for UMvC3 things are just awful. Even vanilla mvc3 was bettter than what I'm experiencing with this game. I'll be moving in a few months so I'll be upgrading then but in the mean time I need to try to find something to improve my shit.

Neki

SolarPowered said:
Seriously

I turned off the DLC notification, but the game keeps checking for it anyway. This game has so much clutter between the matches and it drives me kinda nuts. Way too much saving going on here.

Those things, his awkward timing on f.H and the lack of a hyper with real invincibility frames(I know about projectile invul). He is perfect otherwise. He is very nearly everything I wanted him to be.

meh, the f.H always hits if you do an extended flight combo. otherwise, I stick to SRK + L for mix ups and to cancel into Super Nova. I wish Human Rocket hyper was better too, or if he had a real level 3.

ShockingAlberto said:
Galactus mode is actively terrible.

Went through it once for the achievement, will never touch it again.

it'd be funner if he wasn't so clunky, or if there was a movelist.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Played through the arcade mode a few times on normal and got up to 3 to 4 stars worth of missions done with a few characters and having a lot of fun with it. Then I jumped into online mode. I have never been so incredibly outmatched in every single match ive done. Literally 10 loses in ranked mode and I think I've only KO'd one character.

Its like from the time the match starts the screen is contently full of bright lights bent on my destruction, with an occasional tiny fireball from me slowly moving across the screen at nothing. Thought maybe lobby mode would be easier, so joined a 6 man lobby, watched a couple of matches with beginner or amateur tags fight things out pretty evenly and thought maybe this is where the new guys are, but no it's even worse. Everything seemed so slow and calculated when I was watching, but all I'm greeted with is getting beat on so wildly I don't even know which direction I need to hold to block.

I don't know how you guys do it. I think I'll just be content setting it to easy and have fun facing my favorite characters against each other and just doing my favorite looking moves regardless of effectiveness, while unlocking things in the processes. Kind of like a WWE game.

Neki

thepotatoman said:
Played through the arcade mode a few times on normal and got up to 3 to 4 stars worth of missions done with a few characters and having a lot of fun with it. Then I jumped into online mode. I have never been so incredibly outmatched in every single match ive done. Literally 10 loses in ranked mode and I think I've only KO'd one character.

Its like from the time the match starts the screen is contently full of bright lights bent on my destruction, with an occasional tiny fireball from me slowly moving across the screen at nothing. Thought maybe lobby mode would be easier, so joined a 6 man lobby, watched a couple of matches with beginner or amateur tags fight things out pretty evenly and thought maybe this is where the new guys are, but no it's even worse. Everything seemed so slow and calculated when I was watching, but all I'm greeted with is getting beat on so wildly I don't even know which direction I need to hold to block.

I don't know how you guys do it. I think I'll just be content setting it to easy and have fun facing my favorite characters against each other and just doing my favorite looking moves regardless of effectiveness, while unlocking things in the processes. Kind of like a WWE game.

it's tough because ultimate didn't carry over ranks from vanilla. this means that a big portion of beginners are actually not beginners. they have an advantage in that regard. you'll have to work at it in that regard, but you should try joining scrub gaf on either 360 or PSN, they'll be closer to your level.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
thepotatoman said:

Sell all of your other games, play nothing but Marvel all day every day, buy the 500+ page guide, and study it when you're not playing (which should only be a couple of hours every day), and memorize a mountain of seemingly nonsensical terms like "hit confirm", "DHC", "TAC", "OTG" and others. At least, that's how I imagine people do it...>_>

Really though, sometimes I think this series is a cruel joke. Make a game that appeals to fanbases of so many things (Street Fighter, Resident Evil, DMC, Megaman, Marvel Comics, etc.), but make it so amazingly technical that only a small percentage of the people the game appeals to will ever truly be good at it. Sometimes I wonder if maybe I'm the only one stupid enough to not just give in and admit that the game is too much for me.

And to prove that point...how the hell are you supposed to chain Haggar's d.H into a Lead Pipe? Stuck on Mission 9 and I can't figure it out.

LogicStep

Ghost Rider: how do you do h h, shoryuken l, DASH FORWARD, h h.... how do you do that dash forward and still swing in time to connect the rest of the combo?! I can't figure it out :(

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
welp, I'm drunk and want to do some matches. Anyone on Super Scrub GAF wanna play? Or anyone that knows how to play wanna play me with a team they don't know?

XBL: TimedogGAF

LogicStep

mr. puppy said:
everybody online uses team trenchcoat, i'm sick of his inability to deal with teleporters unless i have haggar in there
I see, I'm using him. I really like his style but I need to get better, his slow speed is hard to get used to as I normally played fast melee centric characters. I would love to see some high level play of him but I just can't see that a whole lot can be done with him.

smurfx

get some go again
mr. puppy said:
everybody online uses team trenchcoat, i'm sick of his inability to deal with teleporters unless i have haggar in there
its funny i've been having a real easy time zoning the shit out of ghost rider.

Playing player matches last night to get a feel for all the changes. Three times in a row I easily took care of my opponent's first two characters only to get destroyed by lvl 3 X-factor Wesker. Hate that teleporting bastard. Feels Bad Man.

smurfx said:
its funny i've been having a real easy time zoning the shit out of ghost rider.
Same here
Sir Garbageman said:
Playing player matches last night to get a feel for all the changes. Three times in a row I easily took care of my opponent's first two characters only to get destroyed by lvl 3 X-factor Wesker. Hate that teleporting bastard. Feels Bad Man.
It might have been level four Wesker if he wasn't wearing his glasses lol.

TDLink

Yeah...Thor is really good now. Most health in the game, really powerful hits, ridiculously short charge time on his moves, good supers, dumb range on his command grab, flight mode, great air dash, beam projectile. It will be criminal if this dude is still underplayed.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Been working on some combos, think I'm really starting to get a better understanding of the game in general, or at least how combos work and move properties.

Just because, here's the ones I've been working on:

Haggar: L, M, f.H, Violent Axe H, Hoodlum Launcher L, j.M, j.H, Headbutt, Wild Swing, cr.H, Lead Pipe (the pipe doesn't hit, but canceling into the pipe out of the dropkick lets you get up faster).

The other ones I've been working on aren't nearly as big or impressive.

Ghost Rider: H, H, Chaos Bringer, Hellfire L, Hellfire Maelstrom

Nemesis: L, M, f.H, Launcher Slam M, Biohazard Rush

I know I'm definitely the first to come up with these, obviously. I'm just putting them down here because, hell, I'm PROUD of being able to do them. :lol Pretty big step in my training.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
~Devil Trigger~ said:
Wow

i cant remember the last time i had trouble mentally with a move.

The fact Hawkeye flips forward and the command being QCBack is fucking with my head so bad lol

its my first day with the game but, Goddanm.

Yeah same here... will take some to get used to it!

EYEL1NER

devastatorprime said:
so sad I have to wait till next year for dat Gloria and Udon Taskmaster, shit is just ridiculous.
Have they said that nothing is coming out this year?
Sorry, but this thread moves too quick, so if it got posted, I missed it.

Mupod

What is nemesis supposed to do against arfarfarfarf? I'm fine with him in any other situation but my friend mains amaterasu and it's kinda frustrating. Nemesis' grabs and level 3 are too slow/vulnerable and his other moves seem to lose to everything ammy does. Outside of jumping tentacles and fullscreen tiger knee rockets I have no ideas.

I usually just try to make sure she's dead before taskmaster and frank go down. Which works fine usually, it just really sucks when it doesn't.

EYEL1NER said:
Have they said that nothing is coming out this year?
Sorry, but this thread moves too quick, so if it got posted, I missed it.

Every other week, starting tuesday a 4 pack will release.
Mid January, there will be a week when the 3 preorder packs will be the week's releases.
Last pack is in February, contains 6*.
48 costume combo pack will be available early March for $20.

There are 10 costume packs coming over the next few months, each containing four or five different outfits. GameSpot has images of all them.
They'll set you back 320 Microsoft Points or your local equivalent of $4 each, or you can grab the whole lot for 1600 Points/$20.
Here's the full list. Dates are for the US - a European schedule is yet to be announced.
22nd Nov - Rising Dead Pack (Jean Grey, Ghost Rider, Frank West, Nemesis)
6th Dec - Evil Twin Pack (Spider-Man, Deadpool, Hsien-Ko, Vergil)
20th Dec - Ancient Warrior Pack (Hulk, Magneto, Arthur, Firebrand)
10th Jan - Brawler Pack (Iron Fist, She-Hulk, Haggar, Spencer)
17th Jan - Femme Fatale Pack (Storm, X-23, Morrigan, Chun Li)
17th Jan - Villain Pack (MODOK, Super Skrull, C Viper, Wesker)
17th Jan - New Age of Heroes Pack (Dr Doom, Sentinel, Strider, Akuma)
24th Jan - Animal Pack (Wolverine, Rocket Raccoon, Amaterasu, Felicia)
7th Feb - Weapon Expert Pack (Taskmaster, Hawkeye, Zero, Trish)
21st Feb - Viewtiful Strange Pack (Dr Strange, Dormammu, Viewtiful Joe, Phoenix Wright, Tron,Nova*)
6th Mar - Value Pack (All 48 costumes for $20.00 / 1600 MSP)

*They don't show Nova in any of the packs -- however, in the order of the images at gamestop, he seems to be in the last pack, even though the full pack image only shows 5 characters.

Noaloha

C.Viper's considered a villain?? I've had it in my head since vanilla SF4 that she was an undercover good-guy. Good-girl. Whatever.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Toodles said:
C.Viper's considered a villain?? I've had it in my head since vanilla SF4 that she was an undercover good-guy. Good-girl. Whatever.

I thought she was on good side but pretend to be bad person as double agent. I think they want to put her in the group as double agent.

Nova is in those pack of 6 new characters. Gamespot forget to put Nova in.

I SUCK IN UMVC3.

Gunstarheroes said:
Wait, what achievement?

You need to get Galactus's ending.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well, after playing a bunch of Ranked, I've found that I'm worse in UMvC3 than I am at MvC3 right now. The damage scaling changes have really fucked with my team dynamic, and the new Dormammu is the bane of my existence. Almost all of my losses have been to Dorm so far.

And I imagine it'll get even worse when Vergils start appearing with their super safe mixup, ridiculous range and damage, and randomly crossing up Hyper. Why does Vergil do so much more damage than Dante? I feel like I need one of the new cast to counter stuff like that.

EYEL1NER

corrosivefrost said:
Every other week, starting tuesday a 4 pack will release.
Mid January, there will be a week when the 3 preorder packs will be the week's releases.
Last pack is in February, contains 6*.
48 costume combo pack will be available early March for $20.

*They don't show Nova in any of the packs -- however, in the order of the images at gamestop, he seems to be in the last pack, even though the full pack image only shows 5 characters.
Thanks for the heads up.
So it's a good deal to buy the full pack I guess. Even though I have all three pre-order packs (well, still waiting on BB to get their shit together), it is still cheaper to pay the $20 to get them all.

But then, I have to wait until March to get them. And I don't know if I can do that or not.
The one time when I would have jumped on a Season Pass-type deal in a heartbeat and Capcom lets me down.

Toodles said:
Doesn't she work for S.I.N.?
whatever, I never paid attention to the story

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
_dementia said:
Doesn't she work for S.I.N.?
whatever, I never paid attention to the story

She's like, a double double agent or something. I think that ultimately she's supposed to be good? Or just a mercenary hired for good in SFIV?

I don't think she's evil though. Capcom got confused.

McNum

I got the thiiing!

And also Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Now that's a good haul on one day. I'll probably be playing Zelda tonight, but I might be up for some sparring with some of the EuroPSN Scrub-GAF players later in the weekend. I need to figure out my new team and take some time to get used to playing online again.

Kyoufu

GuardianE said:
She's like, a double double agent or something. I think that ultimately she's supposed to be good? Or just a mercenary hired for good in SFIV?

I don't think she's evil though. Capcom got confused.

Well Capcom thinks Vergil is evil too... :lol

Waikis

Any tips for getting in as Iron fist?
I can do 750k bnb easy, but jeebus fuck getting that first hit in is so hard as he's mainly ground based.

team:
X-23/Ironfist/Ammy

hmm i need to update my avatar

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Kyoufu said:
Well Capcom thinks Vergil is evil too... :lol

Well, Vergil's a little closer to the mark, at least. Corrupted Vergil moreso.

Also, why oh why does the DT mode for Corrupted Vergil turn him into Sparda? They couldn't be bothered to make a Nelo Angelo model? Arg. It's stuff like that, and the botched Phoenix Wright colors w/ Mia that really irk me. It's so close to being perfect, but it's just slightly off. :/

Mupod

GuardianE said:
Well, Vergil's a little closer to the mark, at least. Corrupted Vergil moreso.

Also, why oh why does the DT mode for Corrupted Vergil turn him into Sparda? They couldn't be bothered to make a Nelo Angelo model? Arg. It's stuff like that, and the botched Phoenix Wright colors w/ Mia that really irk me. It's so close to being perfect, but it's just slightly off. :/

Bugs me too. Hopefully it's a placeholder and they fix it in time for the DLC to come out, but I doubt it. And while they're at it, Ghost Rider needs a new bike for his alt.

mr. puppy

Banned
god i'm winning so easily with this unblockable firebrand shit.

get in with dante, dhc into firebrand to kill a guy off. charge H demon missile while next player is jumping in, summon jam session, let off demon missile, easy unblockable.

now if i can figure out wtf firebrand assist to use i'm golden. having good work with flames and taskmaster's zoning though. or maybe i'll just use frank west's cart assist and just forget about zoning all together.

LakeEarth

Mupod said:
What is nemesis supposed to do against arfarfarfarf? I'm fine with him in any other situation but my friend mains amaterasu and it's kinda frustrating. Nemesis' grabs and level 3 are too slow/vulnerable and his other moves seem to lose to everything ammy does. Outside of jumping tentacles and fullscreen tiger knee rockets I have no ideas.
That's a good question. I actually haven't had to face a good Ammy online yet, but thinking about it, most of the stuff he has is really slow and his jumping moves tend to whiff on short characters. Does jumping H splash whiff on her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom