• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
spindashing said:
Where's Beef

I owe him a beat down after my net crapped on me yesterday.
lR3Ok.jpg

Seraphis Cain said:
*four matches later*

Yeah, see? Fluke. :lol

I know when I'm outclassed.
x_x pff.

Your Ghost Rider and Haggar are good though. If I can't get in when you're playing Ghost Rider, you're doing something right.

Haggar: Needs more air pipe. That move scares the living daylights out of everyone, well me at least. It's so good. Coupled with a projectile/beam assist/tatsu assist for mixups/to try and get in, it's deadly.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
spindashing said:
x_x pff.

Your Ghost Rider and Haggar are good though. If I can't get in when you're playing Ghost Rider, you're doing something right.

Haggar: Needs more air pipe. That move scares the living daylights out of everyone, well me at least. It's so good.

My biggest problem is knowing when to go in and when to stay back. I still don't understand it, really. Sometimes it feels like it doesn't even matter that I'm blocking. Basically my defense is absolute shit. :lol

EDIT: And my Ghost Rider ain't that good. :lol I only picked him up about three or four hours ago. All I know is that one combo. H, H, QCB+L, QCF+L, QCF+ATK+ATK. And a slight variation that uses the motorcycle super in place of the Hellfire.

Is Chun able to get anything off of her OTG? I'm trying Frank/Chun/Doom as I can get to level 4 in one combo without meter but Chun still seems utterly terrible.

Seraphis Cain said:
My biggest problem is knowing when to go in and when to stay back. I still don't understand it, really. Sometimes it feels like it doesn't even matter that I'm blocking. Basically my defense is absolute shit. :lol
That really depends on the opponent's playing style. If it's a zoning team, you'll have to be careful in the ways you go in. If it's rushdown, well -- either you zone them out or out-rush them.

Something to keep in mind for everyone is to hitconfirm. Don't go for the S(launcher) if your combos on the ground are being blocked since that'll leave you vulnerable 90% of the time.

Watch for kinks in their armor too. If the opponent throws out a S without hitconfirming, go for that combo. He didn't block overheads? Go for some overhead pressure mixed with lows, etc.

Seraphis Cain said:
EDIT: And my Ghost Rider ain't that good. :lol I only picked him up about three or four hours ago. All I know is that one combo. H, H, QCB+L, QCF+L, QCF+ATK+ATK. And a slight variation that uses the motorcycle super in place of the Hellfire.
Sometimes all you need is only one bread and butter combo to keep you on the right track. Just learn how to use it without dropping it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
spindashing said:
That really depends on the opponent's playing style. If it's a zoning team, you'll have to be careful in the ways you go in. If it's rushdown, well -- either you zone them out or out-rush them.

Something to keep in mind for everyone is to hitconfirm. Don't go for the S(launcher) if your combos on the ground are being blocked since that'll leave you vulnerable 90% of the time.

Watch for kinks in their armor too. If the opponent throws out a S without hitconfirming, go for that combo. He didn't block overheads? Go for some overhead pressure mixed with lows, etc.

Sometimes all you need is only one bread and butter combo to keep you on the right track. Just learn how to use it without dropping combos.

Thanks for the advice. That's another problem of mine, though. I just go through the combo inputs in my head as I'm doing them, but my reaction time isn't fast enough to stop myself if I'm being blocked. And I suppose there's no real strategy to fixing that. I just have to work on it.

mr. puppy

Banned
thundr51 said:
Anybody got any tips on who I should start with? In the last game I basically picked who I used based on how far I got on their missions (Storm, Thor & Task). I figure I should probably stick with them so far but just curious if there was a 'suggested' character(s) for noobs.

pick vergil/haggar/doom. mash your face against your controller and you'll win.

Seraphis Cain said:
Thanks for the advice. That's another problem of mine, though. I just go through the combo inputs in my head as I'm doing them, but my reaction time isn't fast enough to stop myself if I'm being blocked. And I suppose there's no real strategy to fixing that. I just have to work on it.
Yeah.

I mean, even I'm guilty of doing that. It's just a skill that comes through playing more. It just goes to show that while you may know a combo through extensive training, there's a big difference in actually knowing a combo and knowing when to use it exactly.

mr. puppy said:
pick vergil/haggar/doom. mash your face against your controller and you'll win.
LOL

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
spindashing said:
Yeah.

I mean, even I'm guilty of doing that. It's just a skill that comes through playing more. It just goes to show that while you may know a combo through extensive training, there's a big difference in actually knowing a combo and knowing when to use it exactly.

LOL

Yeah, I did notice you were going for Hawkeye's golden arrow super at the end of your one combo quite a few times, even though I wasn't in position to get hit by it (mostly when I was in the corner). I guess it happens to all of us.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Seraphis Cain said:
Yeah, I did notice you were going for Hawkeye's golden arrow super at the end of your one combo quite a few times, even though I wasn't in position to get hit by it (mostly when I was in the corner). I guess it happens to all of us.

Golden Arrow whiffs?

I've only seen it whiff once on Vergil during his Judgment Cut super, presumably because he was moving so quickly that it randomly missed.

Teknoman said:
Zoning = using long range attacks and projectiles
Rushdown = using forward pushing attacks/dash style attacks?
Without going into great detail, kinda.

Zoning doesn't need to be long range, it should be thought of as controlling the screen, really. It's just keeping your opponent in a position that works in your favor and doesn't work in theirs.

Rushdown is, as they say, going in. Right in their face. Talk some smack. Overhead. Low. Standing.

Seraphis Cain said:
Yeah. Whenever that happened, I didn't do the poison arrow before hitting the super.

I'll get used to it, eventually ... hopefully.

Here's a VERY small portion of my new technology that's key to my secret stuff:

(at the end of a corner combo)S sjc Attraction, Assist 2(Strider), Magnetic Shockwave

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You know what random small thing pisses me off about this? When characters call out the names of their moves, and they're completely different names than what are listed on the move list. Iron Fist is particularly guilty of this.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Seraphis Cain said:
You know what random small thing pisses me off about this? When characters call out the names of their moves, and they're completely different names than what are listed on the move list. Iron Fist is particularly guilty of this.

SWISS CHEEEEEEEEEEESE!

I love it in this case. I can almost hear the Wolverine player saying "FUCK!" on the other end when it happens.

It sucks with Dante and Vergil who don't even declare the names of their moves.

Everytime someone mentions a Dante or Vergil move, I have to check the movelist.

Edit: @Knux-Future Give me 15 mins. Feel free to add me PSN: atrickcard

Odinson

Dirtbag said:
Wow, Thor is so much better now. What were the big changes?

Less time to charge Mighty Strike and Mighty Smash. Less hit stun on St. M. Increased range on mighty hurricane and start-up invincibility on mighty punish. Bigger hit box on Mighty Spark and faster start up. He feels a little faster but that might just be me.

spindashing said:

Everytime someone mentions a Dante or Vergil move, I have to check the movelist.

Edit: @Knux-Future Give me 15 mins. Feel free to add me PSN: atrickcard

sent also sent you an invite to the game I'm already in.

I'm gonna be so free

I don't know if it's the changes with the game engine or if my execution has gotten better, but I'm not having trouble with the Alioune magneto loop like I used to. It does about 50k more damage than my own BnB with about the same restrictions, so I think I'll swap over to it. I really want a two bar building magneto combo. Let's go assists!

Kyoufu

Knux-Future said:
No I'm pretty free...unless you are talking about spin.

then if so..why man whyyyy?

I don't know what you mean by "free" but spin is luring you into his lair of cheese (hawkeye) :p

Complete noob here.

What makes the differnece in a speical for some characters when doing special which makes you auto jump after it and then other times not?

spindashing said:
Wow. I'm not sure why this game insists on booting me every time I win a lobby match. :lol

Oh, alright.

lol I'll stick around for more asswhupping to see If I get a shot or not

Got things to do at 3 and school work after that

holy shit, FUCK magneto's level 10 trial, just figured out you have to SJC the last S into gravity squeeze. I didn't even KNOW you could sjc his S, had to dick around for like an hour until i figured it out :/ Why does capcom expect you to just know this stuff???

Ultimoo said:
you know when you have been playing nova too much when you yell "power of the nova force" after every combo
I say, "HEEEERE'S RICHIE."

Knux-Future said:
lol I'll stick around for more asswhupping to see If I get a shot or not

Got things to do at 3 and school work after that
I got re-invited. Hopefully this doesn't happen again.

Neki

mr. puppy said:
anyone tried team skulls yet?

dorm point/ ghost rider (heartless spire) / task (horiz arrows)

actually not that bad
Razor was running a team like this but with reverse order. Ghost rider is really bad though, he loses to nova zoning loool

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, you guys weren't kidding when you said Nova's overhead was hard to hit in a combo. It's so finicky. So far I'm mitigating it by calling X-23's assist at the same time, but that makes the hits afterwards a bit tighter.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Blah, win streak broke at 23. Really should have won it I pretty much had his second character killed but dropped the combo. Then he ends up ocving me with hawkeye.

Razor210

Ultimoo said:
Razor was running a team like this but with reverse order. Ghost rider is really bad though, he loses to nova zoning loool
Characters Ghost Rider loses to:
Nova
Hawkeye
Anyone with a teleport
Anyone with small hitboxes
Anyone with Sentinel drone assist

That team has the coolest team hyper combo/win screen though. I'd play it just for that.

Ultimoo, how much damage do you get off throws with Nova?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
spindashing said:

I just know that when Vergil does his DP+H move, it sounds like he says "Cara", so I think Sin Cara. Then I imagine Vergil botching. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom