• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude this is all wwe'ish sort of stuff. its fun to go along with it. you don't really think jago hates max do you?

No I don't, but I don't find things like this constructive at all. I never had a taste for things like this. Now if this was something developed as they played each other, then it's different for me

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
So Max, is there a particular reason you don't go out to tournaments as often as maybe other marquee players? Not enough time, don't really care for competitive play etc. etc.?

Marriage, work and editing. Putting on productions like 'Assist Me' can take upwards of weeks in advance to prepare, then execute over the span of several days and weekends. I don't even want to go into detail about the post work. Weekends are also my primary source of time when editing. I'm not sure if people realize that I'm the one editing, sound mixing, doing special effects, writing, capturing, commentating and playing in all the videos I make.

It's not that I don't dislike going to tournaments by any means, I actually thoroughly enjoy it and placed top 8 at WNF early in MVC3 and won a local tournament with Jint, LLND and Hugo101 earlier in the MVC3 season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJnFhjAoiXk

Things just had to take priority after a while. It was either, 'edit this fight sequence between Wesker and Doom' or 'Go to WNF tonight' and I take the prior. I don't really value myself as being a top player, and avidly mention in videos of the past that I'm not a tournament spectacle and don't really wish to be. I'm just a guy, like any of you reading, who has been following fighting games for over half his life and eventually chose to do something with it.

I don't find getting wins to be extremely valuable. I find that the one person that never touched a fighting game before, or the person who played only SF4 and took a chance with 3rd Strike/MVC/older games because he/she saw a video of mine is what I value. Teachers don't have to be Vincent Van Gough to teach art, Coaches don't have to be Michael Jordan to coach basketball, and fighting game advocates don't have to be Justin Wong to make tutorials. It's about sharing passion for something, the love of the game, with others and hoping that passion spreads.

Holy shit that was long, done with the rant.

Touch

Teachers don't have to be Vincent Van Gough to teach art, Coaches don't have to be Michael Jordan to coach basketball, and fighting game advocates don't have to be Justin Wong to make tutorials. It's about sharing passion for something, the love of the game, with others and hoping that passion spreads.
Best quote of 2012.. so far :D

Tyree

Neo Member
Teachers don't have to be Vincent Van Gough to teach art, Coaches don't have to be Michael Jordan to coach basketball, and fighting game advocates don't have to be Justin Wong to make tutorials. It's about sharing passion for something, the love of the game, with others and hoping that passion spreads.

Yeah but it would be pretty rad if Van Gough was your art teacher.

Xevren

Maybe this is just a ploy by Jago after being made to look like a doofus for refusing to fight Combofiend at Bar Fights, by picking on the guy who's been making tutorial type vids on youtube!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The truth is often said in jest.

You don't have to explain yourself Max. Just keep doing what you are doing. If the rest of the community were so close-minded as some of these players and viewers, the community would not blow up as big as it has.
While I think people should be true to themselves, top players and the likes should set certain examples. Main thing is to get rid of that elitist attitude. They know who they are. Being able to play better than people doesn't make you a better person.

I'm actually glad you are putting your own personal life ahead of your hobby but at the same time you are still doing things for the community and even making a semi-job out of it.

Dahbomb

Jago makes shots at everyone. This isn't anything new. Who hasn't he taken a shot at?

Of what, being ass holes? That's a rather shitty flavor.
Much rather this than having pre-match commentaries during button checks. That's a flavor I can live without.

People thinking Jago is some ass hole don't get the joke. He's a different person off camera completely. This is really just a charade, no need to take it seriously at all. Just enjoy the hype, trash talk and salt.

How I would fix Wesker:

• Removing glasses gives Wesker a 15% speed boost, 15% damage nerf
  • Breaking glasses gives Wesker a 15% speed boost, no damage change
  • Xfactor percentages changed to 110/130/150% damage, 100/110/120% speed from 130/150/170% & 110/120/130%
  • Lost in Nightmares reduced to 420,000 from 450,000
  • S advantage on block changed to -5 from -1
  • Phantom Dance startup changed to 8+3 from 10+1
  • Hitstun increased on Horizontal Samurai Edge
  • Horizontal Samurai Edge advantage on block changed to -12 from -8
  • Invincibility on frames 1-8 for Rhino Charge
  • Jaguar Dash has one hit of super armor during active frames
  • Tiger Uppercut H is projectile invincible from frames 1-5
  • Tiger Uppercut follow up(all versions) -1 on block from -5

Teachers don't have to be Vincent Van Gough to teach art
Ironically, Van Gogh's students thought he was kind of a shitty painter.

smurfx

get some go again
Of what, being ass holes? That's a rather shitty flavor.
hey if everybody loved everybody in the FGC then it would be kinda boring. we need people to cheer against to keep things interesting. even if its fake its still fun. see people still take things seriously just like you are right now.

Neki

hey if everybody loved everybody in the FGC then it would be kinda boring. we need people to cheer against to keep things interesting. even if its fake its still fun. see people still take things seriously just like you are right now.

and if everyone in the FGC was super bad at the game, that'd also be boring. you're a real testament to that at least.

max is awesome though.

vg260

Max's post was well said. Good to see people supporting the genre this way. Hope the trend continues.

Got a H&H question:
Anyone got a good team/deck for cheesing the computer? Got everything 100%. I'm just trying to get the last few cards, and it's getting tedious. Searching through this thread is taking a while.

Anth0ny

Marriage, work and editing. Putting on productions like 'Assist Me' can take upwards of weeks in advance to prepare, then execute over the span of several days and weekends. I don't even want to go into detail about the post work. Weekends are also my primary source of time when editing. I'm not sure if people realize that I'm the one editing, sound mixing, doing special effects, writing, capturing, commentating and playing in all the videos I make.

It's not that I don't dislike going to tournaments by any means, I actually thoroughly enjoy it and placed top 8 at WNF early in MVC3 and won a local tournament with Jint, LLND and Hugo101 earlier in the MVC3 season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJnFhjAoiXk

Things just had to take priority after a while. It was either, 'edit this fight sequence between Wesker and Doom' or 'Go to WNF tonight' and I take the prior. I don't really value myself as being a top player, and avidly mention in videos of the past that I'm not a tournament spectacle and don't really wish to be. I'm just a guy, like any of you reading, who has been following fighting games for over half his life and eventually chose to do something with it.

I don't find getting wins to be extremely valuable. I find that the one person that never touched a fighting game before, or the person who played only SF4 and took a chance with 3rd Strike/MVC/older games because he/she saw a video of mine is what I value. Teachers don't have to be Vincent Van Gough to teach art, Coaches don't have to be Michael Jordan to coach basketball, and fighting game advocates don't have to be Justin Wong to make tutorials. It's about sharing passion for something, the love of the game, with others and hoping that passion spreads.

Holy shit that was long, done with the rant.

Well said.

Now we need we need Max vs. Jago match at Royal Rumble!

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Max's post was well said. Good to see people supporting the genre this way. Hope the trend continues.

Got a H&H question:
Anyone got a good team/deck for cheesing the computer? Got everything 100%. I'm just trying to get the last few cards, and it's getting tedious. Searching through this thread is taking a while.

The CPU will not block a hyper jumped Doom S footdive. Falls for it 90% of the time and is ultimate cheese.

DR2K

Banned
Much rather this than having pre-match commentaries during button checks. That's a flavor I can live without.

People thinking Jago is some ass hole don't get the joke. He's a different person off camera completely. This is really just a charade, no need to take it seriously at all. Just enjoy the hype, trash talk and salt.

Well that isn't saying much. Most people aren't going to see him off camera and he's well aware of that. If you're going to act like a jerk then you're going to get treated like one.

Dahbomb

How I would fix Wesker:
[/LIST]
I would add "remove cross up from Phantom Dance". Command throws need to have more start ups and more recovery as well.

LVL3 doesn't really need to be nerfed. There are better LVL3s out there that do more damage.

No to increased horizontal samurai edge. No character deserves to have that level of hit confirm ability.

The rest are acceptable.

Well that isn't saying much. Most people aren't going to see him off camera and he's well aware of that. If you're going to act like a jerk then you're going to get treated like one.
And he's fine with that. Just like Noel Brown does it... he loves it when people hate him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait.. people did a complete 180 on the netcode? It's miles ahead of MvC3 netcode, and still quite good IMO. Did I miss the netcode-is-shit-train cause it was all praise for the longest time. It's not perfect, or 1:1 with local multiplayer, but like every other game the majority of the lag is largely do in part to peoples shit connections. You can test this yourself and see that with a friend close by. With vanilla that wasn't the case, it was the shit netcode.

Anyways..

The truth is often said in jest.

You don't have to explain yourself Max. Just keep doing what you are doing. If the rest of the community were so close-minded as some of these players and viewers, the community would not blow up as big as it has.
While I think people should be true to themselves, top players and the likes should set certain examples. Main thing is to get rid of that elitist attitude. They know who they are. Being able to play better than people doesn't make you a better person.

I'm actually glad you are putting your own personal life ahead of your hobby but at the same time you are still doing things for the community and even making a semi-job out of it.
Yup. Your the fucking man, Max, no need to explain yourself.

Never liked Jago anyways, people say they love his character, but I see no clever irony or anything in it. For FC or not, he comes off as an asshole, and not a humorous one at that.

Got a H&H question:

Ghost Rider with the Cyclops chip card is what I used until I got my Multiple Man deck ready.

Honestly, I'd just lower his overall damage output, meter gain, bonuses to Xfactor level 2/3 and get rid of the glasses mechanic.

Really the kind of nerfs that Dante received are the type of nerfs a lot of the "top tier" cast should. Mitigating damage and meter gain output really helps "settle" a top tier character, without really nerfing them to the point where they are not the same or effective. For example, Dante is still top tier. But reasonable and relatable to the other cast. (i.e, no longer doing 800,000 damage no assist combos whilst building 2 bars of meter) Dr. Doom could also take a chill pill on the amount of damage and meter gain he does via those foot dive combos.

Does anyone think that Capcom is going to over-nerf the shit out of Wesker?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Does Doom get any particular help from EMD, other than it being an annoyance to help zone with? I'm thinking of swapping Wesker for Doom and running Mag/Doom/Sent.

I would add "remove cross up from Phantom Dance". Command throws need to have less start ups and more recovery as well.

LVL3 doesn't really need to be nerfed. There are better LVL3s out there that do more damage.

No to increased horizontal samurai edge. No character deserves to have that level of hit confirm ability.

The rest are acceptable.

You probably can't remove crossup from Phantom Dance due to the nature of the move.

Command throws are already 1 frame... not sure why you think they aren't.
Lvl 3 nerfed because it does tarded damage in lvl 1 x-factor and is too easy to use. I'd add that glasses off mode makes it too high, but my nerf dealt with that.
I increased hitstun but reduced blockstun on HSE. So if you don't confirm properly and teleport on a blocked shot you get punished. Similarly to the S nerf, so crossunder S is a risk.

Wait.. people did a complete 180 on the netcode? It's miles ahead of MvC3 netcode, and still quite good IMO. Did I miss the netcode-is-shit-train cause it was all praise for the longest time. It's not perfect, or 1:1 with local multiplayer, but like every other game the majority of the lag is largely do in part to peoples shit connections. You can test this yourself and see that with a friend close by. With vanilla that wasn't the case, it was the shit netcode.

Anyways..

Yup. Your the fucking man, Max, no need to explain yourself.

Never liked Jago anyways, people say they love his character, but I see no clever irony or anything in it. For FC or not, he comes off as an asshole, and not a humorous one at that.

Actually Jago is pretty fucking awesome. I've had the pleasure of meeting him and playing some matches with him too. Very helpful.

His persona on FC is an act, and only as a means to hype the community up. For instance, that Marvel match between Jago and Mike was the premiere event which really helped get that showmatch so much attention.

I'm sure the next time he's out on the west coast he's going to want to play Max. And hopefully Max can record those matches and have it be a part of his "online warrior" series. That'd get a shit load of hits.

Frantic

I'm finally using Strider less as an assist + mashy XF3 Orbs and more as an actual character. His s.H is godlike, Formation B is a ghetto Buster Cancel, 3 bars is a dead character, and his combos are fun as hell. His teleports are pretty good, too, but I'm not using them too often outside of orbs or with Weasel Shot. Right now no one knows how to punish them, but eventually people will realize you just do the same thing you would with Dante. Airthrow them. Hell, I once airthrew a Strider out of Vajra. Surprised even me, since it was an accide- I mean OS.

Command throws need to have less start ups and more recovery as well.
Less startup? 0 Frame Command grab? Just what poor low tier Wesker needs! Capcom approves.

I am not sure I follow - I do want to say that I remember he saying he felt stupid because he would get nervous and would never do well; he did mention that it's commitment that he could not keep to be involved professionally, so he focused more on his interests of film production and fighting games

and Max comes off as a regular guy who loves the game for whatever they are, and he is interested to simply share with the community for the love of the game. Not to mention his videos are well done

edit: but this is recent, I only started following him with MvC3

Before assist me, Max was known on GAF as a really kick ass SF4 ken player. About a couple of weeks before max's youtube became popular, he posted here saying that making a living off of fighting games is a pipe dream. (referencing people trying to play competitively)

It was actually pretty hilarious how well that was timed. Life is weird.

Dahbomb

Viper and Zero special scaling damage values are fundamentally broken given their character archetypes and general usage of special moves.

Viper and Zero both have a special damage scaling of 0.3 (their specials do no less than 30% damage even with maximum scaling applied). Their normal damage scaling is 0.2 or 20%.

THEIR SPECIAL DAMAGE SCALING IS ON PAR ONLY WITH DARK PHOENIX AND HULK!!!

Even their normal damage scaling is higher than other characters they are compared with in damage. It's higher than Magneto, Wolverine, Wesker, Ryu, Akuma, Haggar, Storm, Spencer, Dante, Vergil etc.

Viper's scaling should be .1/.15 (comparable to Dante's in vanilla but Viper uses less specials in combos than Dante so for her these values are fine), Zero's scaling should be .1/.2 (like Chun Li who is in the same health class).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Actually Jago is pretty fucking awesome. I've had the pleasure of meeting him and playing some matches with him too. Very helpful.

His persona on FC is an act, and only as a means to hype the community up. For instance, that Marvel match between Jago and Mike was the premiere event which really helped get that showmatch so much attention.

I'm sure the next time he's out on the west coast he's going to want to play Max. And hopefully Max can record those matches and have it be a part of his "online warrior" series. That'd get a shit load of hits.
Maybe at the next Bar Fights.

I'm just saying, even if it is just his FC or just-on-screen persona, it's not really attractive in any humorous kind of way like he tries to. Watching the FC show is almost cringeworthy at times because of how many jokes fall flat, so he just comes off as an asshole at the end of it all.

I didn't even know the Jago/Ross beef was brewing until I heard about the Bar Fights showmatch, it was like an odd joke once or twice on CC. You don't need a fake beef for matches to be exciting. If someone tells me Viscant vs. Combofiend FT5 at Bar Fights 2 I'll be more excited than watching the People's Champ vs. Best Bipson. Just need to make some great matchups that's all. Bar Fights still did pretty good with that otherwise, but them leaving the Ross/Jago match till the end confused me. I kept wondering "why is this the main event anyways?"

Grecco

about a couple of weeks before max's youtube became popular, he posted here saying that making a living off of fighting games is a pipe dream. (referencing people trying to play competitively)

It was actually pretty hilarious how well that was timed. Life is weird.

And hes not wrong.

Maybe at the next Bar Fights.

I'm just saying, even if it is just his FC or just-on-screen persona, it's not really attractive in any humorous kind of way like he tries to. Watching the FC show is almost cringeworthy at times because of how many jokes fall flat, so he just comes off as an asshole at the end of it all.

I didn't even know the Jago/Ross beef was brewing until I heard about the Bar Fights showmatch, it was like an odd joke once or twice on CC. You don't need a fake beef for matches to be exciting. If someone tells me Viscant vs. Combofiend FT5 at Bar Fights 2 I'll be more excited than watching the People's Champ vs. Best Bipson. Just need to make some great matchups that's all. Bar Fights still did pretty good with that otherwise, but them leaving the Ross/Jago match till the end confused me. I kept wondering "why is this the main event anyways?"
You might not care about fake beef, but there is a reason Jago/Ross was the main event despite having collectively less skill than the other matches and almost everyone was anticipating that match alone. It works and brings excitement. The crowd/stream and even this thread were calling for Jago vs Combo instead of the more competitive/high profile match Combo vs Wong. If it attracts more viewers (which I think it did 20k for a small tourney) I say go for it.

Mayweather made himself a household name and PPV goldmine despite employing a fight style that casual boxing fans would find boring; by hyping up his matches with trash talk. Before his persona he was overlooked despite fighting the exact same way he does now. In fact he used to fight even more offensively than he currently does.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also, manufactured beef or let's say competitive rivalries isn't hype. When it has real origins, it's hype. See: Noel vs. Smoothviper, Floe and Viscant never playing eachother, etc. Forced shit only works if it's funny or otherwise ridiculous. The Ross/Jago match was neither. Was a buzzkill before it even started at BarFights, regardless of expectations of either player's performances.

EDIT:
You might not care about fake beef, but there is a reason Jago/Ross was the main event despite having collectively less skill than the other matches and almost everyone was anticipating that match alone. It works and brings excitement. The crowd/stream and even this thread was calling for Jagp vs Combo instead of te more competitive/high profile match Combo vs Wong. If it attracts more viewers (which I think it did 20k for small tourney) I say go for it.

Mayweather made himself a household name and PPV goldmine despite employing a fight style that casual boxing fans would fine boring; by hyping up his matches with trash talk. Before his persona he was overlooked despite fighting the exact same, if not even more offensively.
You posted this as I was writing this post, but I agree to some extent. But the entire Ross/Jago thing never even seemed genuine or exciting in theory. Maybe I missed out on this grand buildup to this event, but I felt there was significantly less build up than everyone made it sound like there was. It never felt like a main event in the making at all.

Dahbomb

I increased hitstun but reduced blockstun on HSE.
If you can punish Wesker properly after blocked gun shot into teleport then this is fine.

Also I was saying Wesker's command throws overall are way too good... he doesn't deserve having a 1 frame command throw (even Viscant has said it's too good on numerous occasions). He should at the very least have more recovery on them so if he whiffs he can be punished properly.

Less startup? 0 Frame Command grab? Just what poor low tier Wesker needs! Capcom approves.
Oh shit I just saw that... edited it correctly. I meant more start up OBVIOUSLY.

Floe and Viscant
There was some minor beef there. Floe called Viscant a fraud for using Phoenix and winning EVO.

Mike Ross vs Jago would've been stupid hype if the players level were even. Both of them had something to prove and a ton of ego was on the line. Imagine a Mike Ross pop off if he would've won even a single round or the crowd reaction to it.

Frantic

Viper and Zero special scaling damage values are fundamentally broken given their character archetypes and general usage of special moves.

Viper and Zero both have a special damage scaling of 0.3 (their specials do no less than 30% damage even with maximum scaling applied). Their normal damage scaling is 0.2 or 20%.

THEIR SPECIAL DAMAGE SCALING IS ON PAR ONLY WITH DARK PHOENIX AND HULK!!!

Even their normal damage scaling is higher than other characters they are compared with in damage. It's higher than Magneto, Wolverine, Wesker, Ryu, Akuma, Haggar, Storm, Spencer, Dante, Vergil etc.

Viper's scaling should be .1/.15 (comparable to Dante's in vanilla but Viper uses less specials in combos than Dante so for her these values are fine), Zero's scaling should be .1/.2 (like Chun Li who is in the same health class).
I'm perfectly fine with what they did to Dante's damage scaling... except when I remember they did nothing to Viper or Zero. Then I get a little salty.

Also, they really, really need to fix Spencer's upshot damage. Like, seriously, wtf.

Also I was saying Wesker's command throws overall are way too good... he doesn't deserve having a 1 frame command throw (even Viscant has said it's too good on numerous occasions). He should at the very least have more recovery on them so if he whiffs he can be punished properly.
Five frames would be a good number, I think. It'd be on par with Spencer's, which is still pretty damned good as shown by PR Rog and Combofiend.

I like his command throws. Anyway, it wouldn't make a difference for anything other than teleport -> command grab, higher startup just means you can cancel into them earlier in resets.

Dahbomb

Five frames would be a good number, I think. It'd be on par with Spencer's, which is still pretty damned good as shown by PR Rog and Combofiend.
5 frames was exactly the number I was thinking too. I think pre-jump animation is 4 frames so you can escape it easier.

Also, they really, really need to fix Spencer's upshot damage. Like, seriously, wtf.
Yeah that's just silly.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Got a H&H question:
Pick Hawkeye and back him up with assists that force the AI to block for long periods of time (e.g. Hidden Missiles). Stay as far away as possible and repeatedly pelt the AI with Trick Shot M (QCB+M) and its H follow-up (Speed Shot, iirc). If you are half a screen or more away from the opponent, they'll never block it unless you're in X-Factor. If you need to create space, call your assist and jump backwards while firing arrows until you're at a far enough distance again. Chain Speed Shot into Gimlet for happy birthdays if you hear the AI make an assist call. Chain Gimlet XFC Gimlet to finish off the AI's last character, but don't bother using up XF before the kill or else the AI will go into turtle mode and prolong the match. This is the fastest way I cleared stages in offline H&H. The timer rarely went under 80 seconds by the end of the match, no matter the difficulty.

If you prefer to use rushdown characters in singleplayer, pick a character with rapid-fire L attacks and frame trap the AI to death. They'll usually fall victim to it, although you have to watch out for invincible reversals and throws.

The cards used don't really matter.

Wait.. people did a complete 180 on the netcode?
Not really. The launch window placebo effect just seems to have worn off for those who somehow had the impression that it's any good. It's the same damn experience as MvC3, and it's still awful.

When effective tactics online differ from effective tactics offline, the game in question has shit netcode. I don't see why there should be any other criteria. Input delay is still bad, lag spikes are still painfully disruptive, and the matchmaking system is still poor. And based on my experience in spectator lobbies, spectator mode actually does have a detrimental effect on the experience.

About a couple of weeks before max's youtube became popular, he posted here saying that making a living off of fighting games is a pipe dream. (referencing people trying to play competitively)
Most of my vacation days on my new job that I've spent to date have been taken for the purpose of traveling to majors and with the hope that I can at least make it out of pools someday. And I'd have to agree with Max 100%.

Kimo somehow seemed like he was under the impression that Max thinks pro fighting game players are losers and that playing to compete itself is not worthwhile, and I have no clue how someone could get that kind of impression.

Dahbomb

Prejump animation is already throw invincible... 1 frame and 5 frame, there's no difference to up back. You just can't block.
I know that but during the pre-jump animation you can still get clipped by cr.L's. Like when Wesker is rushing you your first instinct is to start up backing asap... only if he staggers his block string and you try to up/back but get clipped. That is a real fear of having to deal with Wesker and the threat of his command throw. A lot of people were getting opened up by Wesker this way at NEC.

DAT Viper/Vergil Synergy
Vergil goes with a ton of point characters in the game. Converts most BnBs into a kill via DHC. Plus raw tag shenanigans with OTG capable characters.

Vergil is the ultimate #2 slot character in UMVC3. Pretty much made for that slot.

I know that but during the pre-jump animation you can still get clipped by cr.L's. Like when Wesker is rushing you your first instinct is to start up backing asap... only if he staggers his block string and you try to up/back but get clipped. That is a real fear of having to deal with Wesker and the threat of his command throw. A lot of people were getting opened up by Wesker this way at NEC.
...That's literally what I just said. You can't block. Changing the startup frames of his command throw won't change this at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom