• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobe

Your team is fine, but your anchor should be Magneto or Sentinel, not Taskmaster. Unlike Tobe, I think putting Sentinel second would be fine since EM Disruptor gives him a lot of leverage.

Don't even pretend there's more to Taskmaster than that!

i can see magnus helping that stupid robot out but i just prefer using him as an assist without wasting xfactor on him. thats what the bars are for, killing using hard drive loops.

well stingmaster is also stupid :p

Kioshen

also switch the order to magnus/task/sent or task/magnus/sent.

Your team is fine, but your anchor should be Magneto or Sentinel, not Taskmaster. Unlike Tobe, I think putting Sentinel second would be fine since EM Disruptor gives him a lot of leverage.

I'm curious as to why I would need to put Sent as anchor or why EMD would give him an advantage if second. I know it seems probably dumb to ask but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around assists since I come from a strict SF diet.

I'm guessing putting Magnus at the back is better because he would have access to a quick lv3 if my first two are wiped out ? Most players I looked for samples mostly use Magneto up front like F.Champ, Fanatiq, Joker ...

Also thanks guys for the tips it's really appreciated !

Hold that shit.

dabest.png

We're champions. We're the STRONGEST

SmokeMaxX

I'm curious as to why I would need to put Sent as anchor or why EMD would give him an advantage if second. I know it seems probably dumb to ask but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around assists since I come from a strict SF diet.

I'm guessing putting Magnus at the back is better because he would have access to a quick lv3 if my first two are wiped out ? Most players I looked for samples mostly use Magneto up front like F.Champ, Fanatiq, Joker ...

If you run hypergrav assist with Magneto, you get easy combos from anywhere on the screen.
b, s, sj. m, h, s, dash (backdash in corner), call magneto, l rocket punch, cr. b, s, sj. m, h, s, l rocket punch xx plasma storm.
That's one variation that probably does the most damage. There's also cancelling the last air m or h into hard drive. Or you can be cute and do the first rocket punch cancelled into hyper sentinel force into plasma storm. Or just snapback.

It's basically whether you want Magneto backed by Sentinel Force or Sentinel backed by EMD, and whether you are more comfortable using XF3 Magneto or XF3 Sentinel for comebacks.

IMO, the only wrong answer is anchoring Taskmaster.

We are THE BEST.

If you run hypergrav assist with Magneto, you get easy combos from anywhere on the screen.
b, s, sj. m, h, s, dash (backdash in corner), call magneto, l rocket punch, cr. b, s, sj. m, h, s, l rocket punch xx plasma storm.
That's one variation that probably does the most damage. There's also cancelling the last air m or h into hard drive. Or you can be cute and do the first rocket punch cancelled into hyper sentinel force into plasma storm. Or just snapback.
W...why would you suggest this?

Azure J

WE DA BESS.

Seriously though, play Marvel guys. It's a good game. If you need someone to tell you that after Vanilla Marvel (broken or not, you can see great things in its core) events (Season's Beatings last year was pretty much my "OK, this is a great time to get into Fighting Games" moment), I dunno what else to say. :p

That's actually an amazing counter pick team for both Morrigan and Phoenix too bad he is garbage with all the characters.

No battery on that team. It'll run out of meter hella fast.

In theory, it'll work. But Hawkeye ain't that great on his heels, no zoner really is. Probably be better with Vergil up front. Eye of Avocado can only do so much to push people back off Clint immediately. Plus his floaty jump ain't helping him at all.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
No battery on that team. It'll run out of meter hella fast.
Hawkeye is okay with fighting from fullscreen without meter most of the time, especially if he's not up against teleporters. He really has to pick his shots carefully if he doesn't have another projectile assist to fill in his gaps though.

Hawkeye is okay with fighting from fullscreen without meter most of the time, especially if he's not up against teleporters. He really has to pick his shots carefully if he doesn't have another projectile assist to fill in his gaps though.

I guess as long as he can get the space near the start of the round it shouldn't be too bad. That said, if he's not accurate, Gimlets/Kiss of Fire's to plug the holes/misfires can eat up bar kinda quick IMO.

Sixfortyfive

I seriously need to get better with aiming his standing H shot. I feel like if I can plug that hole in my game with him then Hawk/Task will be insurmountable for a lot of my match-ups.

Fuck learning combos; arrows all day. (Hawkeye combo videos really do make me laugh; ur doin' it wrong guys.)

I seriously need to get better with aiming his standing H shot. I feel like if I can plug that hole in my game with him then Hawk/Task will be insurmountable for a lot of my match-ups.

Arrow Bros are serious stuff. Pelting people with those two is great. I love hitting people with that H shot when they just try to chill up in the air with a fly mode. Feels good man.

Fuck learning combos; arrows all day. (Hawkeye combo videos really do make me laugh; ur doin' it wrong guys.)

#RealTalk, but arrow troll combos are funny. Dead arrow, (H xx Dead Arrow) x 3 off a front throw is funny stuff.

Sixfortyfive

The best troll combo with Hawkeye is: forward throw > raw tag Felicia > pick-em up and do a long Felicia combo.

This is seriously my most damaging Hawkeye combo lol. Over 750k for one bar since the raw tag circumvents the throw scaling. I often try to set up the throw by getting them to block an H shot and then just flip forward to get right in their face while they're blocking.

The best troll combo with Hawkeye is: forward throw > raw tag Felicia > pick-em up and do a long Felicia combo.

This is seriously my most damaging Hawkeye combo lol. Over 750k for one bar since the raw tag circumvents the throw scaling. I often try to set up the throw by getting them to block an H shot and then just flip forward to get right in their face while they're blocking.
Bon Voyage -> raw tag Doom. I don't do it often, though.

Solune

Training with Iron Man for the first time since Vanilla and only now found out Crouch H doesn't OTG, that just makes it even more abysmal in Vanilla than it already was!

Dahbomb

It would've been too powerful if it hit otg because of special cancel ability, he would just loop you to death. Cr h is a great zoning tool combined with repulsar and unibeam. At mid range if you get someone to block it you can also fly cancel and approach to apply pressure because you would be in plus frames. The increase untechable time means you can do more swag hit confirms and combos with it.

these aren't your main teams. these are just the your weekly lottery of the top tier characters in the game that you like at the moment

Actually, I've been playing Dorm/Spencer/Mags for the past few months, and don't see any reason to drop the other team. I don't know what other team would be my main except Spencer/Wesker/Magneto.

SmokeMaxX

It's basically whether you want Magneto backed by Sentinel Force or Sentinel backed by EMD, and whether you are more comfortable using XF3 Magneto or XF3 Sentinel for comebacks.

IMO, the only wrong answer is anchoring Taskmaster.

W...why would you suggest this?

Mags/Sent/Task is actually the best team. Mags is by far the best point; Sent is a terrible anchor; and Task does pretty much everything well. He also has a great assist. Sent is a TERRIBLE anchor and will either get rushed down for free or will have people easily guessing your armor move/command throw mixups. The best Sents stay in the air a lot, but there's a reason why there's only like 1-2 good Sentinels in the entire country/world.

Hypergrav assist is actually really good and is probably more useful for a Task/Sent/Mags team than EMD. Sent already has a beam and projectile nullifying moves while Task has arrows which are fast and have great durability. You're also looking at a Magnetic Tempest team hyper combo which gives more damage (if your team composition allows for this). Sent 2nd also allows for Plasma Storm DHC which gives huge damage and DHCs into Magnetic Tempest.

Although the combo I posted up isn't optimal at all, it's just an example of things you can do that people haven't thought of. One example is task combo into plasma storm DHC which kills the character. Activate fly, call Hypergrav assist, force crossup on incoming by flying over/around them and Hypergrav will pull them towards Sentinel for the combo. Hypergrav assist isn't super duper awesome in all teams and it's probably not super useful for Task, but it works for Sentinel especially if your 3rd character utilizes it well (which mine does).

Mags/Sent/Task is actually the best team. Mags is by far the best point; Sent is a terrible anchor; and Task does pretty much everything well. He also has a great assist. Sent is a TERRIBLE anchor and will either get rushed down for free or will have people easily guessing your armor move/command throw mixups. The best Sents stay in the air a lot, but there's a reason why there's only like 1-2 good Sentinels in the entire country/world.

Hypergrav assist is actually really good and is probably more useful for a Task/Sent/Mags team than EMD. Sent already has a beam and projectile nullifying moves while Task has arrows which are fast and have great durability. You're also looking at a Magnetic Tempest team hyper combo which gives more damage (if your team composition allows for this). Sent 2nd also allows for Plasma Storm DHC which gives huge damage and DHCs into Magnetic Tempest.

Although the combo I posted up isn't optimal at all, it's just an example of things you can do that people haven't thought of. One example is task combo into plasma storm DHC which kills the character. Activate fly, call Hypergrav assist, force crossup on incoming by flying over/around them and Hypergrav will pull them towards Sentinel for the combo. Hypergrav assist isn't super duper awesome in all teams and it's probably not super useful for Task, but it works for Sentinel especially if your 3rd character utilizes it well (which mine does).
I thought you might just not understand the game well when you suggested that he should use Hypergrav over EMD, but now I'm thinking you might be trolling.

SmokeMaxX

I thought you might just not understand the game well when you suggested that he should use Hypergrav over EMD, but now I'm thinking you might be trolling.
... Nobody thinks hypergrav is good until they play against my Captain America team and can't block the incoming mixup because the timing to block the crossup is nowhere near what it looks like. Then they lose a character because Captain herp-derps with insane damage.

EMD is good for a lot of characters. Wesker, Dante, Vergil, Dorm. Characters that have fast left/right crossups or can use it to extend OTG combos. It's not ideal for characters that already have strong zoning (Task) or... well Sentinel. What's he going to use it for? It doesn't help combo extensions. It doesn't help him get in (hard for him to combo off of because of slow normals unless he preemptively assumes he's getting a hit). It doesn't help with command grab mixups. It IS fast which helps Sent zone since high/low spit are slow AND it's useful for knocking people out of their moves when they try to challenge the machine, but other than that it's not very helpful.

There was another high level player that was talking about using Hypergrav with Sentinel, but it was on UMvC3 General Discussion or something on SRK and it got buried in there somewhere. Hypergrav assist is really good. It's better if you have a character with strong movement options or left/right teleport-esque moves (Captain backflip; Frank West roll; etc.). Hypergrav assist puts opponents in capture state and pulls them too you. This goes on for a good number of frames so even if you lose to a move with crumple or hard knockdown properties, chances are they'll still be in capture state while you're vulnerable for a combo. Hypergrav scales very little (I've heard rumor that it doesn't scale at all, but I haven't tested it out). And unlike when Magneto's a point character, it tracks even behind him. When it captures the opponent, it'll pull them to you for a large amount of frames so unless you're Modok sitting on the top opposite corner of the screen, you probably get a combo out of it. It's particularly good against opponents who like to teleport or come at you from weird angles.

For Task/Sent/Mags (for example) you don't need EMD.
If Sent is ever out there, you have spit (horizontal control) and Task assist diag/vert arrows (vert control). Yeah you CAN throw EMD out there, but what does it help you do? Shitty zoning? You're more likely to get Mags blown up. Yes he can also get blown up during hypergrav assist, but you're not likely to both be lined up like sitting ducks if you are using hypergrav assist (unless you're just terrible at calling it).
If Task is ever out there, you have drones for hori control and diagonal arrows for vertical control. Task doesn't really need EMD. I don't think he can use hypergrav assist effectively either, but it's not really for him. He may be able to do a combo into tk otg arrows into hypergrav -> sword sting.

... Nobody thinks hypergrav is good until they play against my Captain America team and can't block the incoming mixup because the timing to block the crossup is nowhere near what it looks like. Then they lose a character because Captain herp-derps with insane damage.
Anything hypergrav can do for mix-up setups, another assist could be doing better. I'm sure your setup is really hard to block, but it'd be just as hard to block if you used a good assist for the setup, too.

EMD is good for a lot of characters.
It's pretty much good for everyone.

Sentinel. What's he going to use it for?
You should watch some videos of FChamp using Magneto/Sentinel/Dormammu and find out.

It doesn't help combo extensions.
Sentinel doesn't need combo extensions. He hits over 800K with 1 bar alone. He needs independent pressure.

For Task/Sent/Mags (for example) you don't need EMD.
If Sent is ever out there, you have spit (horizontal control) and Task assist diag/vert arrows (vert control). Yeah you CAN throw EMD out there, but what does it help you do? Shitty zoning? You're more likely to get Mags blown up. Yes he can also get blown up during hypergrav assist, but you're not likely to both be lined up like sitting ducks if you are using hypergrav assist (unless you're just terrible at calling it).
If Task is ever out there, you have drones for hori control and diagonal arrows for vertical control. Task doesn't really need EMD. I don't think he can use hypergrav assist effectively either, but it's not really for him. He may be able to do a combo into tk otg arrows into hypergrav -> sword sting.
You make it sound like there's no benefit to having multiple horizontal assists, or like poorly balanced teams never have to deal with snapbacks.

SmokeMaxX

Anything hypergrav can do for mix-up setups, another assist could be doing better. I'm sure your setup is really hard to block, but it'd be just as hard to block if you used a good assist for the setup, too.
It doesn't work with EMD and my team is Captain America/Sentinel/Magneto so saying another assist could be doing better is irrelevant because those characters aren't on my team. I have a version with Sentinel assist but it's just not very effective since drones are slow and Captain America can't maximize damage off every stray hit since drones hit weird.

It's pretty much good for everyone.
Yeah but Hypergrav is better for certain characters.

You should watch some videos of FChamp using Magneto/Sentinel/Dormammu and find out.
And early on in Marvel there was a top player in California that still used Sentinel rocket punch assist. You can justify anything. That doesn't mean you can't use another assist.

Sentinel doesn't need combo extensions. He hits over 800K with 1 bar alone. He needs independent pressure.
Well first off, you picked off one of my many examples and didn't really answer the other ones. But, EMD doesn't really help with pressure. Sentinel needs help with mixups. Hypergrav helps with this.

You make it sound like there's no benefit to having multiple horizontal assists, or like poorly balanced teams never have to deal with snapbacks.
There isn't really a benefit to having multiple horizontal assists if one of your horizontal assists overshadows another essentially making it useless. If you run a teleporting character, why would you use slower arrows when you can use near-instant EMD? If you are using a zoning character, why would you use EMD when you get task arrows that cut through nearly every projectile in the game? Hypergrav provides something to the team that EMD doesn't.

And I don't really get what snapbacks have to do with anything.

And then you say put Sent as anchor while saying Task at anchor is just plain wrong? I've gotten wins with Sent anchor before. I ran him anchor a lot. Due to the way my team DHCs (Hyper Charging Star -> Plasma Storm -> Magnetic Tempest), Sent gets put in anchor a lot. But he's a terrible anchor.

It doesn't work with EMD and my team is Captain America/Sentinel/Magneto so saying another assist could be doing better is irrelevant because those characters aren't on my team. I have a version with Sentinel assist but it's just not very effective since drones are slow and Captain America can't maximize damage off every stray hit since drones hit weird.
This really makes my head almost explode.

And early on in Marvel there was a top player in California that still used Sentinel rocket punch assist. You can justify anything. That doesn't mean you can't use another assist.
You can do whatever the hell you want.

Well first off, you picked off one of my many examples and didn't really answer the other ones. But, EMD doesn't really help with pressure. Sentinel needs help with mixups. Hypergrav helps with this.
EMD helps a lot more with pressure than hypergrav.

There isn't really a benefit to having multiple horizontal assists if one of your horizontal assists overshadows another essentially making it useless. If you run a teleporting character, why would you use slower arrows when you can use near-instant EMD? If you are using a zoning character, why would you use EMD when you get task arrows that cut through nearly every projectile in the game? Hypergrav provides something to the team that EMD doesn't.
Assist recovery time and dead characters.

And I don't really get what snapbacks have to do with anything.
K.

And then you say put Sent as anchor while saying Task at anchor is just plain wrong? I've gotten wins with Sent anchor before. I ran him anchor a lot. Due to the way my team DHCs (Hyper Charging Star -> Plasma Storm -> Magnetic Tempest), Sent gets put in anchor a lot. But he's a terrible anchor.
I never said "Sentinel is a good anchor". I suggested that Taskmaster is the worst of the three characters to have as an anchor. Sentinel is definitely not a "terrible" anchor though. Terrible anchors are characters like Haggar, Tron, and Hsien-ko, characters that have almost no hope of making a comeback. Sentinel is very, very capable of making comebacks, and he gets a free out of incoming mix-ups.

smurfx

get some go again
its true that haggar gives you a low chance of a comeback and especially against certain characters but when you do get them god damn its the best feeling in the world.

Is there any way to control where people bounce when they get hit by RR's Spring Hyper? I swear no matter where I am after a DHC, it always bounces them to the right. Makes re-knocking people down with Frank a complete crapshoot in the left corner.

its true that haggar gives you a low chance of a comeback and especially against certain characters but when you do get them god damn its the best feeling in the world.
When you're on the receiving end, it's goddamn embarrassing.

Is there any way to control where people bounce when they get hit by RR's Spring Hyper? I swear no matter where I am after a DHC, it always bounces them to the right. Makes re-knocking people down with Frank a complete crapshoot in the left corner.
Someone said...somewhere, that it bounces based on whether you used LM, LH, or MH for the input.

SmokeMaxX

This really makes my head almost explode.
You said another assist could do the job better. What other assist is there that's on my team that can do the job that I need better? I'll give you a clue- there isn't one. Your quote was directly about MY mixup and my mixup relies on my team.

You can do whatever the hell you want.
Exactly. And hypergrav is a viable assist. If you can't think outside of the box, that's your own problem. EMD is an amazing assist, but not for every character in the game.

EMD helps a lot more with pressure than hypergrav.
Do you even read the things that you quote? I didn't say anything about hypergrav being good for pressure. Hypergrav is much better for mixups. If you do fly, call hypergrav right before you cross up, and then fly to the other side of them, they probably won't hit your assist and they'll get pulled in so you get to start your combo with a juicy j.s. Hell, if they get scared of that, they'll block and you get stomp, unfly, command grab shenanigans.

Assist recovery time and dead characters.
Sorry I'd rather have my assists add something to my team than being primarily useful when my other assist dies. And unless you're running a dedicated zoning team, you probably don't have a need to spam assists as soon as they recover unless you want to get your assists blown up.

I never said "Sentinel is a good anchor". I suggested that Taskmaster is the worst of the three characters to have as an anchor. Sentinel is definitely not a "terrible" anchor though. Terrible anchors are characters like Haggar, Tron, and Hsien-ko, characters that have almost no hope of making a comeback. Sentinel is very, very capable of making comebacks, and he gets a free out of incoming mix-ups.
Sentinel IS a terrible anchor. He's an absolutely horrible anchor. Sentinel has maybe slightly more hope of making a comeback than Haggar (although when you play Jan's Haggar often, you beg to differ). Taskmaster is a far better anchor than Sentinel and that's undeniable. Yeah Sentinel sorta gets out of incoming mixups, but he has to burn x factor to make it safe so it's not exactly free. That same x factor can have Taskmaster chipping you to death with arrows.

mr. puppy

Banned
sentinel is like doom, he's not much of an anchor but he can be serviceable. However, if you put him second with the right backup (a far better anchor), you can really make him work.

Some of the best team compositions I'm seeing right now are Point/Range Assist/Lockdown+XF3

By that I mean stuff like X/Doom/Ammy or X/Sentinel/Akuma, in both cases you have a lockdown who is just ridiculously capable of taking care of weaknesses. Doom/Ammy has been written up a ton and everybody knows its strengths, but I really think Sentinel/Akuma is really really high up there, especially with Akuma doing an incredible job of protecting Sentinel if he wiffs. Furthermore, Akuma's beam allows Sentinel to convert off of his long range attacks really easily if you DHC into it. And lastly, having Sentinel being able to completely avoid mixups like Marlinpie's insanity is just amazing.

You can also throw Dahbombs X/Ironman/Akuma mix into that team build. My team has always been some form of Dante/Firebrand/Taskmaster since release and right now its formed as Firebrand/Taskmaster/Dante with that shell theory in practice. Also, I feel like I'm contributing to this thread way to much with this post, so fuck you lupinko.

Of course, some points work better in those shells, like Spencer is just stupid good with Sent/Akuma especially with how amazing drones is for him (its much better than beam). And then of course during mixups b/c how long drones comes out, you can still call out tatsu and basically keep a stupid long blockstring going. (clearly i've been labbing too hard with Team Knives)

Seriously if Knives stopped dropping shit all of the time in tournies, he would be be able to go toe to toe with Marlinpie. He just needs more practice.

I should have left this at my initial judgment of you. I will now.

Assuming you already have a good assist for Sentinel(*cough cough*log trap*cough cough*hidden missiles), Hyper grav is surprisingly useful. I personally press A1 and 2M at the same time, and the timing is perfect for a dash up command grab attempt or another 2M. On hit, it means I can get a few extra air normals in off a flight cancel and is a retarded easy hit confirm. It also lets you combo into HSF for all 9 hits any time you want off of Rocket Punch L, which usually means another rocket punch into plasma storm. Not that it matters much since you'd just DHC into Magnetic Tempest from Plasma storm for similar damage normally anyway. Cool option, though.

Of course, that doesn't go very far to justify the insanity Smoke over here is coming up with.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Doom gets 1 mill off of Hyper Grav assist. The meter gain is absolutely retarded too. >:| I wish I could link to the video. Soo damn dumb.

The win quotes to go with it just make it more hilarious/awesome.

"WHATSAMATTA? STILL WANT A PIECE OF THIS" after tearing through 3 characters is so damn manly. I bet he spits on 'em after too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is off topic, but I don't know where else to put it; Niitsuma tweeted yesterday that he's going to be at EVO. He obviously won't be going on his own as a fan, so maybe his next project will be announced sometime before then (or perhaps at the event itself)?

https://twitter.com/#!/Ryota_Niitsuma/status/200335150360432641
Maybe he is going as a fan? I remember him saying he enjoyed his time there last year.

But this could potentially mean more. If there's a panel, we can get extra hype.

Azure J

The win quotes to go with it just make it more hilarious/awesome.

"WHATSAMATTA? STILL WANT A PIECE OF THIS" after tearing through 3 characters is so damn manly. I bet he spits on 'em after too.

You said this and now I'm wondering what it must have been like for that guy who got Merry Christmas'd at Big Two #25 by Haggar. :lol

On a totally random note, what do I have to do to get Revenger's Roost in this game? (Admittedly, I just want it for the music which has been in my head for the last week or so.)

smurfx

get some go again
You said this and now I'm wondering what it must have been like for that guy who got Merry Christmas'd at Big Two #25 by Haggar. :lol

On a totally random note, what do I have to do to get Revenger's Roost in this game? (Admittedly, I just want it for the music which has been in my head for the last week or so.)
didn't he lose the match though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom