• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kioshen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYuR1wbq-SU&feature=g-u-u

fingercramp released a taskmaster guide for those who want to use taskmaster. i know there was one person who wanted to use him.

Yeah I saw that video in my subscription queue. Quite timely I must say. Doesn't go as deep as I would have liked but gave me a couple of ideas and I didn't know you could cancel shield skills. Now I won't look like a moron because I stopped right in front of somebody's face again because I misjudged it's travel.

James Chen's video about Air combo theory explained a lot of things that was eluding me coming from a sf background. I was starting to get close to the answer but now I know what I'm doing wrong when performing air combos with Sentinel. He will finally have more usefulness than strictly an assist for me.

Bizazedo

Hey Frantic, yell when you get time sometime or when you're usually around. Ran into another team of Dante / Wesker / Strider that was a serious issue last night.

Can't be having that.

Frantic

Hey Frantic, yell when you get time sometime or when you're usually around. Ran into another team of Dante / Wesker / Strider that was a serious issue last night.

Can't be having that.
Sure. Don't think I'll have time tonight, but I'll holler when I do.

What exactly was giving you problems with the team?
So I can try it myself, lol.

Bizazedo

Point Dante was using Jam Session immediately at the beginning of the fight (jumping back / away from me pre-fight to build space) while calling Strider to keep Zero out and then would immediately teleport (the timing works very well). This gave him initiative versus Zero as Zero had to wait for Jam Session to end and then deal immediately with an incoming mixup that you know is devastating. If that didn't work he'd keep doing that and / or fireworks if I was on the ground to push me out even further if I pushblocked or allow him to do his own mixups if I didn't.

You know how I always tease you about never stopping hitting buttons and your hit confirms? He was worse, never NOT hitting buttons. That actually burned him in the long run, but it helped him build the early lead.

Gamertag was LOpsided if it helps.

I figured him out after awhile and things leveled out, but that's because he couldn't adapt very well and was very much an autopilot trenchcoat player. Also, after eliminating Zero, he had serious issues with Nova due to his style. If it weren't for level 3 Strider comebacks he wouldn't have jumped out to the early lead.

What I want to try versus you is to start Nova. I am thinking against certain teams it might be advantageous and might be my go-to if I see a Dante / xxx / Strider because it worked VERY well against him.

Bizazedo

The West Coast seems to be in love with Zero + Wesker.

Combofiend going back to his Vanilla team.

My team is Zero / Nova / Wesker and I love it so hard. I'm sure you see flaws all over it, though :(. Zero got a lot of hate when I went to Next Level in New York a few weeks ago, even though my Nova did more work. Maybe EC just doesn't like the little guy.

In my defense, I picked Zero and Wesker like day 1 and knew I'd put Nova in second spot after I saw his premiere video.

Frantic

Point Dante was using Jam Session immediately at the beginning of the fight (jumping back / away from me pre-fight to build space) while calling Strider to keep Zero out and then would immediately teleport (the timing works very well). This gave him initiative versus Zero as Zero had to wait for Jam Session to end and then deal immediately with an incoming mixup that you know is devastating. If that didn't work he'd keep doing that and / or fireworks if I was on the ground to push me out even further if I pushblocked or allow him to do his own mixups if I didn't.
That's not very safe. If you pushblock the Jam Session, Dante will be pushed away and be forced to cancel into Devil Trigger unless he wants to get punished. I know Strider is coming down at the same time, but I'm pretty sure Zero's ground dash avoids Vajra. That's honestly why I don't use Jam Session that much - it's not that safe.

You know how I always tease you about never stopping hitting buttons and your hit confirms? He was worse, never NOT hitting buttons. That actually burned him in the long run, but it helped him build the early lead.
Hey, hey. Generally speaking, I know when I can or can't push buttons. When you play a character with an eight frame jab where most characters have four-five frame jabs, knowing when and when not to push buttons is very important.

There are sometimes when I panic and just push buttons and hope for the best, though.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
My team is Zero / Nova / Wesker and I love it so hard. I'm sure you see flaws all over it, though :(. Zero got a lot of hate when I went to Next Level in New York a few weeks ago, even though my Nova did more work. Maybe EC just doesn't like the little guy.

In my defense, I picked Zero and Wesker like day 1 and knew I'd put Nova in second spot after I saw his premiere video.

Yeah I don't understand the team assist-wise. Other than setting up unblockables your assists don't really help Zero control space. Then again I have no clue what goes good with Zero and you've beaten me with that team so idk.

JeTmAn81

That's not very safe. If you pushblock the Jam Session, Dante will be pushed away and be forced to cancel into Devil Trigger unless he wants to get punished. I know Strider is coming down at the same time, but I'm pretty sure Zero's ground dash avoids Vajra. That's honestly why I don't use Jam Session that much - it's not that safe.

My assumption was that his Zero was in the air, in which case I am pretty sure that tactic is safe. At least, it's been safe whenever I've used it. Definitely wouldn't do it against a grounded opponent. I wouldn't think Zero would have time to pushblock, get to the ground, avoid Strider, and hit Dante before he recovers. Even if he could, Devil Triggering is probably fine with a Dante player since it always helps against Zero anyway.

Hey, hey. Generally speaking, I know when I can or can't push buttons. When you play a character with an eight frame jab where most characters have four-five frame jabs, knowing when and when not to push buttons is very important.

There are sometimes when I panic and just push buttons and hope for the best, though.

Dante seems like one of the characters with the fewest ways of escaping corner pressure. His double jump doesn't create much distance, and pretty much everybody is already expecting j.S into Hammer/Air Play/whatever. I tend to do Rain Storm which annoys them a bit but I usually have to cancel it into Hammer anyway. I always end up relying on the same few dumb options to try to get out of that stuff, which makes me panic sometimes when it doesn't work.

kirblar

I think I'm addicted to magic cards. So much theory fighting potential.

Make that shit happen.
I want to do something on what SF4:AE teaches about oppression in metagames and how to combat it in design/development. (M:TG's been dealing with similar problems for years and years.)

Bizazedo

My assumption was that his Zero was in the air, in which case I am pretty sure that tactic is safe. At least, it's been safe whenever I've used it. Definitely wouldn't do it against a grounded opponent. I wouldn't think Zero would have time to pushblock, get to the ground, avoid Strider, and hit Dante before he recovers. Even if he could, Devil Triggering is probably fine with a Dante player since it always helps against Zero anyway.
This. I have a habit of always going to the air at the beginning of a match. Not that he waited to check if I did, mind you, but I have a feeling most Zeroes do.

Additionally, he wasn't necessarily trying to hit me with it. He was building a wall between myself and him. I couldn't push block as I'd have to run into it to even have that opportunity and, again, I was in the air.
A Pretty Panda said:
Yeah I don't understand the team assist-wise. Other than setting up unblockables your assists don't really help Zero control space. Then again I have no clue what goes good with Zero and you've beaten me with that team so idk.

It just operates under the assumption that all three characters don't need help getting in or controlling space due to sheer speed / priority / teleports, s'all.

It's definitely not the safest team due to that, though.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
jH4pLsmRABn2X.png

JeTmAn81

This. I have a habit of always going to the air at the beginning of a match. Not that he waited to check if I did, mind you, but I have a feeling most Zeroes do.

Additionally, he wasn't necessarily trying to hit me with it. He was building a wall between myself and him. I couldn't push block as I'd have to run into it to even have that opportunity and, again, I was in the air.

Yeah, exactly. Zero has air superiority over most characters in the game. Hence why I lead Dante against him because Wesker doesn't have much of a chance, and Strider is made of paper. Dante can do Jam Session, Acid Rain, Twister, etc. to try and keep control of that space, and if he gets into trouble he can at least Devil Trigger and try to Vortex his way out or pummel Zero with Thunderbolts.

It just operates under the assumption that all three characters don't need help getting in or controlling space due to sheer speed / priority / teleports, s'all.

That definitely seems true for Zero, who can cover himself with lightning shenanigans, and really his normals alone provide a lot of protection (circular hitboxes, multiple hits) but it seems like Nova and Wesker's approaches are only really successful when they have a horizontal assist to cover them. Outside of X-Factor, Wesker's movements are slow enough that good players should be able to react to them/throw him out, and anyone who can challenge Nova's air throw ability should give him a lot of trouble if he doesn't have much backing him up.

Bizazedo

If Nova has meter, he can't be kept out. Don't get me wrong, I love having Zero's projectile assist going, especially when shadowcloned, but Nova's speed + if he has meter = they do anything unsafe and they eat a Takedown. Sometimes even if they don't as you can steer it and basically create full-screen mixup situations with just that hyper if you start it above them.

Add to the fact that he can combo after it and it's....a bit nuts.

That's also why I've started blowing XF2 with him as opposed to saving it for Wesker. He can zoom in close enough to use the gunshot as an unblockable setup + it makes him even more safe + he builds insane meter when X-factored.

That and hitting like a grown ass man as they say means he can easily even things up with positive meter gain the whole way through. It's not unusual to lose Zero (and gain meter by his death), have Nova enter, hit someone, blow XF2 to kill this person, kill the next person, and then have enough meter so that even if XF ends, do a normal Nova combo and end it with gravimetric blaster.

And then DHC from Blaster into Lost in Nightmares for the stylish kill.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I just got ducked up by a Spidey/Dorm/Deadpool player. Spiderman is so so dumb, he can just throw dp's out basically for free. My head is still spinning from all of the mixups I ate.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I was able to zone out the Spidey a few times, but then comes Dorm.... who is hard to block.... and I'm afraid to throw arrows out because of chaotic Flame. But still, spidey can basically be where ever the hell he wants, wavedash under my arrows or fly right over.

It was a very traumatic experience for Hawkeye.

I also suck at blocking. So there's that.

I was able to zone out the Spidey a few times, but then comes Dorm.... who is hard to block.... and I'm afraid to throw arrows out because of chaotic Flame. But still, spidey can basically be where ever the hell he wants, wavedash under my arrows or fly right over.

It was a very traumatic experience for Hawkeye.

I also suck at blocking. So there's that.
I want some rematches in a few weeks after I'm done with school. Running Firebrand/Dormmamu/Doom(Missiles) now and want to see how it holds up.

My advice to you about Chaotic Flame is this: Dormammu players consider meter to be precious, and we love to think we can predict opponents and catch them in fire. Do something repetitive and obvious like Hawkeye's jumping back arrows for two loops, and then the third just jump back and block. I fall for it every time someone does this to me.

Bizazedo

My advice to you about Chaotic Flame is this: Dormammu players consider meter to be previous, and we love to think we can predict opponents and catch them in fire. Do something repetitive and obvious like Hawkeye's jumping back arrows for two loops, and then the third just jump back and block. I fall for it every time someone does this to me.

"Rule of Three" kicking in.

I need to play you PS3 folk again :(.

nolemite

Neo Member
I played ranked matches for the first time since SFxT came out and got bodied last night. This game is still as fun as ever though!

Bizazedo

when hulk wins againts strange he says "Now Hulk smashes other illuminati" lol FGC on blast?

No, reference to the comics storyline of Planet Hulk. The Illuminati in the comicverse consisted of Dr. Strange, Professor X, Reed Richards, Iron Man, Black Panther, and Namor (I think? Doesn't matter).

They got together, decided Hulk was too dangerous, and shot him off Earth on a rocket. It's on Netflix, too, "Planet Hulk".

Tobe

lol yeah i know that the aftermath in WWhulk is GODLIKE! i just found it funny how the term could overlap. :p

oh and blackbolt got his ass FUCKING WHOOPED in WW

Havok- younger brother of Scott. A little hot headed at times. Can fire plasm, energy waves or beams.
Lorna- see Magneto, could use the more ferro manipulation aspect
Vulcan- youngest of the Summers. Manipulates all energy types. AKA broken as hell.
Gladiator- See Superman, alien version of superman whose power is based on confidence.

ultim8p00

Banned
I have this crazy setup that I came up with that seems to be working wonders online.

I main Nova/Wesker/Tasky

I put up gravimetric shield to scare them a little and I look for an opening to do cr.M. If it connects, I call Taskmaster assist with forward legion arrows, then Centurion arts M which crosses them up and leaves them with the shield and arrows behind them, and me on the other side doing another cr.M into overhead.

I'm sure it's not unblockable at all, but it seems like nobody knows wtf to do. If they try to move, they eat shields into damage. If they stand, I hit them with cr.M. If they crouch, overhead.

And if nothing connects, I do gravimetric punch to make it safe(er).

Dartastic

I wanna pick the game up again, but I really, REALLY need to start playing teams that are... better. I was rocking Ammy, Nova, and Strider/Sent, but I'm just not winning enough with that team. I need to be BETTER. CHEAPER. ETC. HELP ME MARVEL GAF.

Grecco

I wanna pick the game up again, but I really, REALLY need to start playing teams that are... better. I was rocking Ammy, Nova, and Strider/Sent, but I'm just not winning enough with that team. I need to be BETTER. CHEAPER. ETC. HELP ME MARVEL GAF.

Play 3 Vergils.

Nova/Doom(Plasma Beam)/Strider?

Cover slides and jumping around with beam, DHC to Sphere Flame for OMGdamage, Nova and Doom both have good combos that start off Strider assist.

Dahbomb

Your characters are fine, just step your game up son.

Vergil/wesker/magneto is a cheap ass top tier team and possibly the best Vergil team discovered as of late.

From your characters I would play nova/ammy/strider. Nova gets free combos from vajra and that along with javelin gives you great vertical control. Nova with a lockdown assist like child stars is godly. Dark strider in the back or strider with cold stars. Amy is decent with vajra but you have to be on point with the otg pick up.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I want some rematches in a few weeks after I'm done with school. Running Firebrand/Dormmamu/Doom(Missiles) now and want to see how it holds up.

My advice to you about Chaotic Flame is this: Dormammu players consider meter to be previous, and we love to think we can predict opponents and catch them in fire. Do something repetitive and obvious like Hawkeye's jumping back arrows for two loops, and then the third just jump back and block. I fall for it every time someone does this to me.

Thanks, I'll try that.

And expect Doom to be eating 10 times the arrows I hit Morrigan with.

Thanks, I'll try that.

And expect Doom to be eating 10 times the arrows I hit Morrigan with.
Morrigan is borderline invincible as an assist - I don't think you ever killed her or got close. She's only vulnerable for the first 10 frames. If my above post stays true, I might not even use Doom. I actually hate using him, but it seems like I hate all the characters that go best with Dormammu. :p

Tirael

Apparently. I never even heard of those games.

Haha, I knew it. Those games weren't amazing, but I have fond memories of them.

Yeah I saw that video in my subscription queue. Quite timely I must say. Doesn't go as deep as I would have liked but gave me a couple of ideas and I didn't know you could cancel shield skills. Now I won't look like a moron because I stopped right in front of somebody's face again because I misjudged it's travel.

Yeah, the Shield Skills -> Sharp Sting cancel is pretty useful, but other than that, the only other thing I took away from the video is cr.L is good. That's something that's not terribly hard to figure out, though.

That FC Taskmaster video is pretty bad tbh. Hes got way better combos.

Really? I'm trying to pick up Task right now, what's a good beginner combo I can be working on?

And yeah, he needs to be able to break 600k, Captain America is at 636k with magic series -> OTG -> Super.

Edit: Actually, I'm thinking about running Task/Spencer/Hawkeye as a secondary team. Every character gets an arrow assist, the DHC synergy is good, and the back two are both very good anchors. (I honestly think it's absolutely dirty that Legion arrows from full screen combos into Bionic Maneuvers.) What do you guys think?

Morrigan is borderline invincible as an assist - I don't think you ever killed her or got close. She's only vulnerable for the first 10 frames. If my above post stays true, I might not even use Doom. I actually hate using him, but it seems like I hate all the characters that go best with Dormammu. :p

How many times do I have to tell you to pick Felicia -_-

Firebrand/Felicia/Dormammu

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah it was pretty hard to hit her, I remember trying to guess when you'd call her so I could hit her. If you do play the team its pretty easy to hit Doom since he's one of the most vulnerable assists. Not sure what Firebrand can do to protect him. Hitting Doom is like tee-ball.

Is your new team going to be centered around Firebrand again?

How many times do I have to tell you to pick Felicia -_-

Firebrand/Felicia/Dormammu
That team gets rocked so hard by zoning.

Yeah it was pretty hard to hit her, I remember trying to guess when you'd call her so I could hit her. If you do play the team its pretty easy to hit Doom since he's one of the most vulnerable assists. Not sure what Firebrand can do to protect him. Hitting Doom is like tee-ball.

Is your new team going to be centered around Firebrand again?
Yeah, Doom is super vulnerable. Against your team, the idea would be to call him while Strider is on cooldown so you have to hit him, and take to the skies with Firebrand to get in so you have to choose which target to focus on.

I'm definitely leaning toward centering a team around Firebrand. He is quickly becoming my favorite character even though Capcom did a terrible job of implementing him. I wish I could just run Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan, but Capcom was too fucking dumb to give Firebrand or Dormammu a decent assist. I think it's reasonable to run a team with 1 bad assist, but 2 bad assists and a third with no screen presence is just awfully difficult in a lot of situations. And by "a lot", I really just mean Hidden Missiles and Vajra assist teams. Anything else I do really well against. Vajra is just on another level - I will jizz my pants with joy if it gets nerfed in the future.

Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan is really what you should be sticking with anyway. Actually, Morrigan/Firebrand/Dormammu.
Morrigan needs an assist to help her out on point. I'm not seeing what that team order offers.

That team gets rocked so hard by zoning.

Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan is really what you should be sticking with anyway. Actually, Morrigan/Firebrand/Dormammu, and use the TAC glitch to bring in Firebrand. You don't need the meter assist that way(although you'll still have access to it), and it's a little less suseptible to zoning teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom