• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
there is one thing i want them to nerf and that is characters being able to TAC you after landing a hyper in the air.

MegamanDan

Neo Member
Ya, 86ed | Fanatiq was telling me that gems were gonna be banned at WNF tonight. Hopefully it makes it more fair. His sponsor is also suppose to be there tonight to make an announcement. Good for him and Knives.

I just hope they don't nerf UMVC3 too much

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I don't like that you can't dhc when your incomin character does a super. Ex. My fisrt dude dies and Sent comes in, I hard drive to be safe and the hard drive hits. I can't dhc out of that hard drive for extra damage.

Solune

cool video, I really like Dante/Strider stuff. I've seen a few people talking about the combination in this thread, I wonder why nobody really uses it.

Because people don't know how to use Strider for one, and two, many people dropped Dante after Vanilla. Though PR Rog did exceptional with his team @ FR.

Razor210

It's times like these that I love Taskmaster.

I was just thinking today about how I'd deal with Joe/RR, and since Shield Skills goes through projectiles, if Joe does his red hot kick cross up thing, I'd out prioritize it with back H, let the log pass through me, and take the combo. and you can't zone Task with log trap either, cause I'll just back H through it and fire arrows the whole time.

Haven't got a chance to lab it out, and it probably doesn't work as well in an actual match, but hey...theorycrafting is fun.

This is all garbage.

I had the privilege of playing an extremely good RR player today. RR would repeatedly OCV me, mostly from the significant problem that if he's played well, you just don't hit him. And he has a teleport mixup that you can't see because he happens to be the same colour as the ground, and an instant overhead, the ability to make his instant overhead invisible thanks to boulder trap, an air grab monster thanks to rocket skates ("ROCKET SKA - bam you're thrown"), and did I mention you can't hit him?

I'd say he's a better character than Taskmaster, at the very least.

smurfx

get some go again
This is all garbage.

I had the privilege of playing an extremely good RR player today. RR would repeatedly OCV me, mostly from the significant problem that if he's played well, you just don't hit him. And he has a teleport mixup that you can't see because he happens to be the same colour as the ground, and an instant overhead, the ability to make his instant overhead invisible thanks to boulder trap, an air grab monster thanks to rocket skates ("ROCKET SKA - bam you're thrown"), and did I mention you can't hit him?

I'd say he's a better character than Taskmaster, at the very least.
yo lets not go nuts here. he may of given you lots of problems but it doesn't mean he would give me the same problems as a taskmaster player.

Razor210

yo lets not go nuts here. he may of given you lots of problems but it doesn't mean he would give me the same problems as a taskmaster player.
I've played Taskmaster since day 1 vanilla.

...I don't know how you fight RR. I honestly don't. With other chars, I can at least get an idea...I got nothing today. Your zoning is punished, he's got a better air game, he's got instant overheads, half of Task's moveset doesn't actually hit him, and he laughs at arrows (because they miss him).

The only thing Taskmaster has on him is that if you get lucky and get a solid hit, its only 750k to go. And its not just him - I'd imagine a lot of the cast has the exact same problems as well.

Racoon isn't better than Taskmaster. Not on Tasky's worst day and Racooon's best.

EDIT: I'm talking strictly character usefulness here. Raccoon probably has a good matchup against Tasky, but overall I would still put Tasky over RR.

I love what ChrisG does for the Firebrand mixup. He DHCs from Doom's upward super to firebrand speed mode and brings in the mixups while calling missiles. so nice.

Razor210

Racoon isn't better than Taskmaster. Not on Tasky's worst day and Racooon's best.

EDIT: I'm talking strictly character usefulness here. Raccoon probably has a good matchup against Tasky, but overall I would still put Tasky over RR.
I can't stress any more the difficulty that exists in actually hitting this character.

Basically, this is the flowchart: if RR gets within 40% screen of you, he goes in an order something like this:

Call lockdown assist (in my case, it was Cold Star)
Burrow behind
On the off chance you actually block this because you literally can't see him because he's the same colour as the ground, he goes for the super-instant overhead.
If he thinks "hey, this guy might be onto me" he does boulder trap, so at the time the boulder hits the ground, he goes for the overhead, and now you can't see him because there's a rock in the way.

Log trap is the least of your worries. If you're sitting back and trying to zone with RR, you're playing him wrong.

Wow, I didn't even get to Mad Hopper. That immediately ends all proper rushdown.

You can outzone Raccoon with the right character. His teleport is only slightly faster in recovery than Vergil's is, so you can punish it if they get predictable. Joe does a decent job since most of Raccoon's projectiles aren't that durable in comparison to Voomerangs.

I have no clue how you would fight him as Tasky, especially since I've never used either character more than the time it took to do their trials.

rexor0717

I could agree with Raccoon having a good match up against Tasky. Taskmaster has some problems with really short characters. But a better character, I'm not so sure about that.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't agree with Taskmaster having a bad match-up against RR at all. His normals are good enough to score clean hits without too much difficulty.

The key to beating a point RR in any match-up, in my experience, is just staying at normal jump height and fishing for hits while constantly staying on the move. Keeping yourself grounded is a pretty quick way to eat invisible torso-height overheads all day.

Azure J

Late, but I just started watching the footage of your Felicia at Final Round Sixfortyfive, and all I can say is thanks. Now I have an idea of what kinds of things I should be doing more of with the character.

kirblar

I had wondered why Raccoon's health was so low, given his difficulty getting sustained damage output. Now I think we know- it's because he falls out of tons of BnBs.

Sixfortyfive

Late, but I just started watching the footage of your Felicia at Final Round Sixfortyfive, and all I can say is thanks. Now I have an idea of what kinds of things I should be doing more of with the character.
If you want a general rundown of the character, there was some decent back and forth here:
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...catgirl-nun-needs.120453/page-25#post-6170740

And a good solo combo exhibition with transcripts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctuebmrfh64

Most of those combos are pretty difficult though (and you can get even more damage out of all of the hypers shown if you mash). Until you're more comfortable with advanced stuff, stick to BnBs that allow you to KO most characters in two combos: one meterless combo ending in a reset, then another combo to finish them off. Once you've got at least that much down you can start pushing the envelope.

EDIT: A few things that came to mind as I was re-reading that page and didn't see there:

- Buckler Slide's (dis)advantage on guard seems to be dependent on spacing. If you slide into them at point blank, you really risk being thrown out of the recovery period, but if you space it so that you just barely clip them with the edge of your toe, it seems to be a lot safer. I tag a lot of people who try to punish her after this move if it's spaced in this manner, making me think that it might not be disavantageous on block at all if you do it right.
- Her air throw range is ridiculous. So much so that I jump after opponents with reckless abandon. You might have noticed that Skisonic was very disapproving of jumping after Doom for an airthrow. He's generally correct in his skepticism, but Felicia can seriously throw Doom out of Foot Dive, and Zero out of jH. It's still risky to try, but she's just that good in snatching people out of the air above her.

Azure J

Good shit man, but I must say now that I have an idea of what it's like executionally to do certain things, those combos in that video are fucking amazing to me. I'm still having a hard time following up Toy Touch OTGs with anything more than the two mediums from the jump cancel after all. :lol

Sixfortyfive

Good shit man, but I must say now that I have an idea of what it's like executionally to do certain things, those combos in that video are fucking amazing to me. I'm still having a hard time following up Toy Touch OTGs with anything more than the two mediums from the jump cancel after all. :lol
The hitstun on Toy Touch was nerfed in Ultimate. You can only do a follow-up from Toy Touch early in a combo (such as from a throw or her level 3). If you use it late in a combo they'll flip out too fast unless you're in X-Factor.

Toy Touch is still useful at the end of a combo to set up throw resets though. If you just want to end the combo with as much damage as possible instead, use Sand Splash and a hyper.

Dahbomb

there is one thing i want them to nerf and that is characters being able to TAC you after landing a hyper in the air.
That's a character to character thing. They just have fast recoveries on their hypers which allows them to fish for the TAC. If you nerf their hyper recoveries you nerf their follow up. This is especially a problem for Akuma as he is a hyper follow up king.

Oh and RR Boulder Trap hits overhead. He can literally go for unblockable with that thing. And that isn't even his only unblockable, he has that Oil trap unblockable as well. You can't stay on the ground against him at all as you can't block his mix ups on the ground at all.

Frantic

Because people don't know how to use Strider for one, and two, many people dropped Dante after Vanilla. Though PR Rog did exceptional with his team @ FR.
Pretty much. I think Dante/Strider will eventually become a staple duo in tournaments, though. It's too good of a pair not to.

Airan

How the hell do I play this game

what are the considerations I should take into account at the start of the match, should I stay close to the opponent or keep my distance? do I mash buttons and hope for a hit confirm as soon as FIGHT! is sounded?

using Strider/Vergil /Spencer (strider because hes cool, but that means i can swap him out if theres an 'easier' point char, Spencer trials were easy so im familiar with them but trying them in a real match is a different story, I'm probably dead set on keeping vergil with whatever team I end up with, unless I manage to graduate to Dante, seems like a more solid all rounder? I'm a DMC fan if you hadn't guessed) if that helps. I'm looking more for a "what do I do at opening" since it feels like race to get that one hit as I found out last night online.

Dahbomb

It's usually best to keep your distance especially with a low health character like Strider on point. Use assists to set up a cross up or pressure situation before going in with Strider, until then toss out some animals. If you want to start the match mashing... mash f+H to get the throw for the combo or to set up pressure/oki.

There is no reason not to play Vergil and Dante on the same team if you are a DMC fan. They both complement each other very nicely. Dante is slightly more complex than Vergil but has a better ranged game so you can spam his moves at a distance to get some space and time for you to think.

smurfx

get some go again
That's a character to character thing. They just have fast recoveries on their hypers which allows them to fish for the TAC. If you nerf their hyper recoveries you nerf their follow up. This is especially a problem for Akuma as he is a hyper follow up king.
you can just make it so those characters can still hit you but just not land a TAC.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Yea, I was working with Wesker / Strider / Maggie for a bit. I'm about to replace the Shades Lord with Dante though, because it seems to work better if I have to switch characters out.

Bizazedo

I don't agree with Taskmaster having a bad match-up against RR at all. His normals are good enough to score clean hits without too much difficulty.

The key to beating a point RR in any match-up, in my experience, is just staying at normal jump height and fishing for hits while constantly staying on the move. Keeping yourself grounded is a pretty quick way to eat invisible torso-height overheads all day.

645 is a wise man. I do something similar with Zero, blasting around at a height that goes over any logs, shooting Busters everywhere. I'm sure Tasky can do the same thing, especially as he doesn't have to wait for a charge.

That and shield skills him if he tries a teleport.

I think the biggest thing is just getting used to Rocket. Not having familiarity with the character is probably the biggest enemy right now.

Nyoro SF

The real question behind this Taskmaster-RR debate is which characters truly can't handle teleports or the teleport+assist mixup.

Taskmaster does OK in this regard, it's very easy for him to punish raw teleports. Teleport with assist? There aren't too many characters that can deal with that in that brief period. They key is not getting caught in it in the first place, though that's easier said than done.

Oh and RR Boulder Trap hits overhead. He can literally go for unblockable with that thing. And that isn't even his only unblockable, he has that Oil trap unblockable as well. You can't stay on the ground against him at all as you can't block his mix ups on the ground at all.

Yeah, is there ANY reason RR should go for a mixup rather than an unblockable? Maybe it'd do some more damage depending on the combo starter, but personally I'd rather take the guaranteed damage.

Has anybody ever played Phoenix in the 2nd position? I'm trying out Dante/Phoenix/Strider and Vajra does a shitton for her, and its actually a lot of fun trying to be reckless as hell with her instead of basing your entire gameplan around protecting her. The other guy is going to be busy blowing all his meter trying to kill her, so I can go nuts with Dante/Strider

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
What is your gameplan with her in 2nd position? Are you still trying to save meters to turn her dark or just playing her as a normal character?

I don't think it's wise either way. If you are going for 5 bars you need to DOMINATE with Dante/Strider and do it without meter no less. If you aren't going for 5 meters then you have a glass- uhh pistol. Far from a water gun but certainly not a cannon.

What is your gameplan with her in 2nd position? Are you still trying to save meters to turn her dark or just playing her as a normal character?

I don't think it's wise either way. If you are going for 5 bars you need to DOMINATE with Dante/Strider and do it without meter no less. If you aren't going for 5 meters then you have a glass- uhh pistol. Far from a water gun but certainly not a cannon.

well i'm trying to do something that people did in Marvel 2, where you have two characters and an assist......I really don't want to concentrate on learning 3 people so I wanted Dante/Strider and then something that kinda disrupts the flow of the game and makes people focus on something besides my main strategy.

Tobe

well i'm trying to do something that people did in Marvel 2, where you have two characters and an assist......I really don't want to concentrate on learning 3 people so I wanted Dante/Strider and then something that kinda disrupts the flow of the game and makes people focus on something besides my main strategy.

well haggar is a great assist, excellent meat shield and way better than jean for what you want to use her for.

Solune

How the hell do I play this game

what are the considerations I should take into account at the start of the match, should I stay close to the opponent or keep my distance? do I mash buttons and hope for a hit confirm as soon as FIGHT! is sounded?

using Strider/Vergil /Spencer (strider because hes cool, but that means i can swap him out if theres an 'easier' point char, Spencer trials were easy so im familiar with them but trying them in a real match is a different story, I'm probably dead set on keeping vergil with whatever team I end up with, unless I manage to graduate to Dante, seems like a more solid all rounder? I'm a DMC fan if you hadn't guessed) if that helps. I'm looking more for a "what do I do at opening" since it feels like race to get that one hit as I found out last night online.

This team is actually pretty solid, I think you should just take Dahbomb's advice and keep your distance, and when you're able to, make an opening using Vergil Rapid Slash and animals to force a fullscreen teleport mixup. In my opinion, I would switch Spencer to point because I feel that Vergil and Strider are better anchors overall, and Spencer DHC to Vergil is usually a touch of death. Spencer can also full combo off of Vajra, if you are using that assist.
Yea, I was working with Wesker / Strider / Maggie for a bit. I'm about to replace the Shades Lord with Dante though, because it seems to work better if I have to switch characters out.

Pretty much since Dante is the better all around and they do roughly about the same damage.

Frantic

I need to be taught the ways of dante/strider! What should I be doing?
It really depends. There's a number of ways to play the duo. Me, I like to play it full screen. I tend to throw out a lot of projectiles(Air Play, Hysterics, Drive) while calling Strider. I basically bully them for a while, force them to try to get in, then if they jump or superjump, call Vajra and teleport. Then, when I'm mid-screen/up-close I start pressuring them with blockstrings, usually calling Vajra mid-blockstring to try to throw in a teleport mixup. When I have them in a blockstring, I can easily get back to full screen to start the process anew.

There are other uses for Vajra with Dante(tons of 'em), but that's usually how I use it. It's definitely not the only way to use it. I'd basically just experiment to find the use that fits you best. *shrug*

Azure J

Random noted from extended playing:

- Weirdly enough, I think I'm more afraid of the float state Soft Knockdown put my characters into in the air than I am of Hard Knockdown on the ground.

- Winning a match with Vergil calling Vajra assist then dashing under Zero chilling in the air to alter his blocking direction + XF2 Dark Angel = This is the best fucking game ever. :lol

- Spencer is a fun character, but I don't think I can ever play him proficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom