• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ageo Joe actually mentioned on Twitter that he was afraid of fighting Morrigan, because he's bad at the match-up (requesting advice from JP Morrigan players) and was glad when Chris G got eliminated. I honestly think that Chris G would win the match, but that's a question of "what ifs."

It's a shitty match. Joe can fight back with charged Voomerangs if it's just Morrigan (Joe is small enough to be able to find a spot between Soul Fists to charge one up), but Doom's missiles fuck all the shit up. A friend used the team against me, and it was bullet hell. I only won the tiny amount of matches I did because I took out Doom when he was launching missiles.

Tobe

hey now that we have 3 games, someone should make like a FG olympics, sort of like that capcom game history tournament over the game acho youtube channel.

Dahbomb

FChamp claimed on FGTV that Zero is going to get nerfed soon. Says he has an inside source/contact who made the claim.

I can already smell the special scaling nerf. Hopefully that extends to Viper too. I just don't want them to go overboard with anything.

Tobe

FChamp claimed on FGTV that Zero is going to get nerfed soon. Says he has an inside source/contact who made the claim.

I can already smell the special scaling nerf. Hopefully that extends to Viper too. I just don't want them to go overboard with anything.

might as well rebalance other characters, i would prefer if they would make a 2013 version

JeTmAn81

I think Zero could use a reduction in moves that don't seem to affect hitstun deterioration. Lightning doesn't, right? That's how he's able to use it over and over in one combo. Or at least there's something in Zero's skillset that allows for combos which are probably inappropriately long and high-damaging.

Solune

Chris + Log trap you know you want to. Log Trap covers that space of Chris which he is a bit weak at.
Wow fuck, that team makes so much sense that it doesn't make any sense that I didn't think of it before. Now to think of who to replace, Hawkeye or GR.
Ageo Joe actually mentioned on Twitter that he was afraid of fighting Morrigan, because he's bad at the match-up (requesting advice from JP Morrigan players) and was glad when Chris G got eliminated. I honestly think that Chris G would win the match, but that's a question of "what ifs."

Yah, there just isn't any coverage for that long range game on Ageo Joe's team that can handle that type of "spam". Also, thanks for the info USD.

Chavelo

awesome article about how the Japanese play fighting games, and about the guy who won final round:

http://romancancel.blogspot.com/2012/03/kusoru-wins-umvc3-at-final-round-xv.html

And I did not know this:

These last two lines in the blogpost:

Play for the love of the game.
Or get log trapped.

(⌐■_■)\

( •_•)/⌐■-■

( •_•) "mother of god..."

9dedcb7d1a211fb62e58226279596e42.png

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Damage reduction would be nice. But what I hate the most is that he can hit confirm off of anything from nearly anywhere. If there was a way to fix that...

Grecco

Fchamp probably talking shit. I doubt theres a balance patch. Especially before Evo.

smurfx

get some go again

they better not just nerf zero. knowing how awful capcom is at balancing they will remove buster cancelling and nerf him to hell.

Dahbomb

I think it might be a small patch like the previous one with "stealth" changes. Still salty over the Hulk nerf.

If it's inevitable might as well make a list of stuff.

Top 10 character changes (nerf edition because buff edition is pretty huge):

1) Zero - Special damage scaling nerfed. Lightning -> Buster -> Lightning needs a good revision because it's really silly. Active frames on some normals shaved here and there and some normals reduced so that they match their visual animation (I am looking at you cr.M).

2) Viper - Special damage scaling nerfed. Probably needs some other more technical changes.

3) Doom - Foot dive priority and speed nerfed. Normals scaling nerfed a bit both on damage and hit stun (no more quadruple relaunches).

4) Wesker - Glasses mechanic and Phantom Dance cross ups. Command throws can use more recovery.

5) Spencer - Up Wire Grapple properly scales.

6) Firebrand - Death trap looked into. I don't know how they would change it but that thing shouldn't exist in the game.

7) Dormammu - Normals match the visual animation. He is probably going to get some more.

8) Vergil - Round Trip glitch in good conscience should be removed.

9) Wolverine - Fatal Claw loop removed OR Fatal Claw does less damage than Berserker Barrage.

10) Strider - Capcom might do something about Vajra. Not really sure, #10 was a wild card.

Too bad Capcom is going to nerf characters like Morrigan, Joe, Felicia, RR because they are winning stuff and people love to complain...

knowing how awful capcom is at balancing they will remove buster cancelling and nerf him to hell.
Capcom usually doesn't revert characters back to their original states. He didn't have special Buster cancels in Vanilla and I doubt they would take him back to Vanilla status (which is still top 7).

Fubar Duck's twitter.

"Kusoru: Being in a foreign country was scary and I don't think I'll do it again, but the team aspect with the other FRB guys was a blast""

"Kusoru: "If I travel abroad again, I know that everyone will look at me with murderous intent. All I want is to have fun playing the game"."

Really dude going to come win final round then never return again? Wow... what the fuck. How are you going to not defend your title!

Fubar Duck's twitter.

"Kusoru: Being in a foreign country was scary and I don't think I'll do it again, but the team aspect with the other FRB guys was a blast""

"Kusoru: "If I travel abroad again, I know that everyone will look at me with murderous intent. All I want is to have fun playing the game"."

Really dude going to come win final round then never return again? Wow... what the fuck. How are you going to not defend your title!

He thinks it's a shitty game but has fun with it, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care.

Dahbomb

Why do people play shitty games? I never understood the concept. Especially professional players who can be spending their time playing and getting better at non-shitty games.

smurfx

get some go again
Capcom usually doesn't revert characters back to their original states. He didn't have special Buster cancels in Vanilla and I doubt they would take him back to Vanilla status (which is still top 7).
it wouldn't be vanilla status as buster doesn't cause a hard knockdown anymore.

Why do people play shitty games? I never understood the concept. Especially professional players who can be spending their time playing and getting better at non-shitty games.

Yeah God's Beard, why DO you play Jojo? :3

Serious response though: just because a game is considered "shitty" doesn't mean it's not fun.

Alright revamped tier list

S: Viper, Zero, Dorm, Dante, Spencer
A+: Magneto, Joe, Morrigan, Vergil, Hawkeye, Felicia, Logan, Trish, Hawkeye, Strider, Taskmaster, Firebrand,Doom, Wesker
A: Phoenix, Storm, Skrull, Deadpool, Hulk, Deadpool, X-23, Jill, Spider Man, Nova, Akuma, Strange, MODOK, Ammy
B+: Ryu, Cap, Thor, Sentinel, Frank West, Haggar, Chris
B: Nemesis, Shuma, Rocket, IM, Arthur
C: Ghost Rider, IF, Tron, Chun Li
D: Wright, Hsien Ko, She Hulk

NOTES: Viper/Zero/Dorm are the best on point due to there overwhelming abilities, Dante is s tier due to his point plus assist ability, Spencer has great point ability and is always a threat. Best pure rushdown char in the game.

Doom, Taskmaster, Hawkeye, Strider all are great team players that lack some of Dantes point ability. Taskmaster also can out normal several characters and has shield skills which beats all other normals in the game.

Firebrand, may move up to S but is a great highly mobile char whose only real downfall is his health. Sent in in B+ due to how great his assist is. I still consider Wright the worst in the game.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I disagree with that list.

Mostly with Hulk in A tier and She-Hulk in the bottom 3. She's not that bad.

Also is this list ordered? Like within each tier?

Hulk in A is due to his ability to punish rushdown hard and to make anything he does safe via cancelling into gamma wave or gamma charge. Plus he has kara grabs and some good mix ups. He is by far the best tank in the game. Just nobody uses him to that ability.

EDIT: Not ordered. Just who is where.

Don't agree with Spencer as the best pure rushdown just because he has nothing really great in your face, his attacks being blocked get punished hard with knowledge, and he has a tough time cracking people who know how to play defense. Sure, if you get hit, you die, but that's the case for a lot of characters. Wolvie and Felicia are for sure is a better rushdown character.

Dahbomb

Joe way too high and She Hulk a tier lower than she should be. Rest is about par for the course.

Will post mine soon, it's already typed up.

Can't agree with best point rushdown character being Spencer. Wolverine and Felicia out class him for sure and so does Spider Man in terms of pure rushdown, staying in and mix ups up close. Spencer does out class them in damage though and sheer bullying factor of Bionic Arm.

I just got trolled online by killing most of this one guy's Team Trenchcoat, and having his Vergil do nothing but that crossup slash...and me dying to it.

She Hulk would be higher but with the prevalence of zoning, her value falls down.

Spencer has bionic arm, unscaled damage via up grapple, ziplines are stupid, and can open people up when paired with an assist relatively easy.

Joe is either an A or A+. Has great three hypers with purposes, great zoning via voomerangs, the triple jump and divekick allows you to perform stupid shit with assists and he has about normal damage at about 900k not to mention his I can't see overhead.

GatorBait

After reading that blog article, I'm still trying to figure out why Japan views UMvC3 as a "shitty" game? He says this:

The use of Eighting made Marvel vs Capcom 3 feel way closer to Japanese "anime" combo based fighters than ever before. Even with the lower execution, imported systems from MvC2, and English-focused release, the game always felt like a Japanese localization of MVC2.

Japan more or less agreed.

Because of all the silly systems, the game was still relegated to [shit status], but not [shit] of the untouchable kind such as MVC2 or Smash.

The rationale he gives for its status is "all the silly systems", but is the game really rife with such silly or unconventional systems other than X-factor?

He also goes on to make the argument that because Kusoru plays for the love of terrible games, that the obvious conclusion that stems from that fact is:

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a terrible game.

Not only that, it is a terrible "anime" game, because we are somehow losing not to a legitimate player like Tokido fighting on our terms with our tech, but an illegitimate player like Kusoru fighting on his own terms with his own tech.

Don't even get me started on how stupid that last sentence is...

After reading that blog article, I'm still trying to figure out why Japan views UMvC3 as a "shitty" game? He says this:

The rationale he gives for its status is "all the silly systems", but is the game really rife with such silly or unconventional systems other than X-factor?

TACs, invincible overhead tag ins just to name a few.

And yes, MvC3 is actually a terrible game. It's fun but it's terrible and it would never be the success it would be without the marvel vs capcom name on it.

Dahbomb

Japanese FG players like more solidity in their games. They will take a boring fighter with more stability over hype fighters with less stability. It's why VF was/is relevant there. They also don't like having obscene match up charts. It's why they don't even consider SSBM and MVC2 fighters yet both of those games are rather popular here in the states.

MVC3 isn't a terrible game even in the competitive aspect. It has it's questionable mechanics but so does every fighting game out there except for maybe KOF13. It's one of the most open ended, sandbox type fighting games made and you are always discovering new stuff in the game because of the team aspect of it. The funny part is that the game is more balanced than most fighting games I have played this generation and some from previous gen as well. This gen we had the pleasure (or displeasure) of playing games like SSBB, SC4, SSF4AE and Vanilla MVC3 with their god characters. Let's not forget not too long ago we had a game called Tekken 4 (after which I dropped playing Tekken) where literally one character was running the show.

Also please GTFO with this "Kusoru trolled his way to FR" or that he wasn't trying. He was very much trying and playing at his level best with the tools he had but he was fortunate that America wasn't use to these characters or play style.

My post-FR tier list:

S: Viper, Zero, Dorm, Dante, Wesker, Doom, Strider
A+: Vergil, Firebrand, Magneto, Spencer, Felicia, Wolverine, Trish, Hawkeye, Taskmaster
A: Storm, Super Skrull, Morrigan, Deadpool, X-23, Jill, Spider Man, Nova, Akuma, Ammy, Frank West, MODOK
B: Ryu, Phoenix, V.Joe, Captain America, Sentinel, Thor, Hulk, Haggar, Strange, Chris, Rocket Raccoon, Iron Man, Nemesis
C: Ghost Rider, Iron Fist, Tron, Chun Li, She Hulk, Arthur, Shuma Gorath
D: Wright, Hsien Ko

Support value factored in.

GatorBait

And yes, MvC3 is actually a terrible game. It's fun but it's terrible and it would never be the success it would be without the marvel vs capcom name on it.

Good call on the TACs, I totally forgot about that since it is such a straightforward system. I don't think it is accurate to classify tag-in properties as a system; now if you want to talk about assists/tag-ins/DHCs/THCs overall, I can understand that, but those seem like pretty vanilla mechanics for a Vs./tag team game. And correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Japan played certain Vs. games in the past?

I would also really like it if you wanted to elaborate on what your rationale is for defining UMvC3 as a terrible game.

UMvC3 is a good game(not great or fantastic though). MvC3 was a kinda bad game that was made worse by the glaring lack of features and netcode. Game deserved more attention and patching that it never got despite multi million seller status.

I'd love to hear something unexpected from them regarding this series. I'm feeling like it's going to be left behind for Capcom's next crazy project after SFxT. A little more refinement and I'd never want another versus game again(unless it involves ASW or Darktalkers).
might as well rebalance other characters, i would prefer if they would make a 2013 version
Nah, gimme an AE update with ten new characters(hell, I'd settle for eight). Plug those roster holes, nerf top tier a teeny bit, gimme dem replays/hitbox data, buff dat netcode and I'll never ask them for a single Mahvel related thing again.

Tirael

UMvC3 is a good game(not great or fantastic though). MvC3 was a kinda bad game that was made worse by the glaring lack of features and netcode. Game deserved more attention and patching that it never got despite multi million seller status.

I'd love to hear something unexpected from them regarding this series. I'm feeling like it's going to be left behind for Capcom's next crazy project after SFxT. A little more refinement and I'd never want another versus game again(unless it involves ASW or Darktalkers).

Nah, gimme an AE update with ten new characters(hell, I'd settle for eight). Plug those roster holes, nerf top tier a teeny bit, gimme dem replays/hitbox data, buff dat netcode and I'll never ask them for a single Mahvel related thing again.

This post, forever and ever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

What is this supposed to mean?

The brand and gameplay mechanics go hand-in-hand IMO. No one would've expected X-Factor exactly, but all the mechanical changes from it's predecessor are all pretty Mahvel design decisions. These mechanics are not interchangeable with other games so easily because they're tailored for Mahvel and no other brand. Of course if you take away the name, you take away the Marvel, you take away the Capcom, you take away the essence of the game and you have a bunch of gray mechanics that don't fit or aren't made for anything else. This argument is pretty nonsensical.

No colour options kind of kills these for me, can't coordinate with the alts

I'll probably just get the pack with Task, his alt is badass.
Yep, no colour options is a massive oversight with a very, very weak rationale from Marvel.

No colour options kind of kills these for me, can't coordinate with the alts.

Yeah, I feel the same way. The only way I can coordinate my team with Joe's DLC outfit is if I also bought Frank West's outfit and then gave Sentinel the bluest outfit he has.

That isn't worth $8, no sir.

Tobe

today i was rocking that magnus alt online, i srsly need to find a way to save that shit so i dont spend 20 seconds at the characters select screen.

Azure J

- So how do you all attempt to establish the neutral area with Dante versus Zero when you're playing someone who only knows one direction -- forward? I'm trying to learn some approaches against my brother opening matches with charged buster and Hadangeki H (WHY OH WHY DOES THIS CHARACTER HAVE SUCH INSANE DURABILITY FIREBALLS? :lol). I'm going for some fun shit like Hysteric missiles canceled into DT then teleport into air M/H overheads, but I never get past the Hysteric part because HADANDERPI stuffs all of them (made even worse since I'll choke it up on the execution side if I get tagged by one of those projectiles). If I go for Air Play zoning, he holds back all day long. So I think "Hey, just charge it and chip him out." If I charge it, "lookit me run under you, press H so you have to think twice about landing with an attack, get a lucky H here and there, then go make a sammich before finishing my beginners combo!"

[/partial saltiness but making light of my issues in this game]

It got so bad, I found myself experimenting to find something to blow it up at an easy level, which then led to me picking Amaterasu over Strider on anchor. That being said:

- Holy shit Ammy. Ammy is the goddamned truth. As much as I love my ninja, I'm really beginning to think that Dante/Felicia/Ammy is my main team. If only I could hit those SRK's better though, the counter and reflector are just too fucking good for me not to make use of them in quick draw fashion.

I find myself really really enjoying my time with the game so far, but I do agree that I want to hear about what more they plan to do with it. I feel like as crazy as a game like this already is, the only thing it's "missing" is more crazy. So I support this post in its entirety.

[obligatory "I can has Megaman X, Gene Ruby Heart & Tessa plz" goes here]

Nice write up as always.
Still though I feel like Ammy is definitely A+ material.

So am I the first person on gaf to get Cosmic Judge?

O0Gn6.jpg

edit: also, I keep trying to figure out a way to do a 9 bar combo without infinite meter without killing Thor before the last hit. I don't wanna cheat and use install hypers. I'm so close to getting 3 Gravity Squeezes in one combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom