• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Three times a week would be asking too much since people already have trouble with 2 times a week.
Once a week would get people too complacent, and it would make the ranbat take even longer than necessary.
Two is a safe middle ground, and it's the format that I already know. You don't *have* to enter it if you don't like the format.

I know it sounds like I'm being harsh, but for fuck's sake it's frustrating having people flake with little to no communication or reasons why. Playing two people within the span of 7 days should not be some daunting task.
I think once a week wouldn't make people complacent TBH, but that would mean it would drag on like you said. But hey, if it happens in AE I guess it can happen here too.

Issue is if you play two times a week with people with wildly different time zones it may mean bending your schedule twice a week. But still, if players can choose and co-ordinate between themselves when they want to play, then I guess it can't be too bad twice a week.

JeTmAn81

I would play in a Marvel GAFbats. I just hope it wouldnt take as long as the vanilla tournament. That took around six months.

Didn't you play the Racoon? Spence is super easy to learn. I learn that mother fucker in like 1 week max.

I tried learning Spencer a while back, but I can't do tiger knee motions consistently enough to justify using him. Sucks because I was able to do most of his easier BnBs too, but the TKs wouldn't come out for me half the time.

Oh yea I forgot you play on pad huh? Maybe TK is harder on pad... man anything goes with drone to be honest. I would just pick someone that allow Chris to get some more damage via DHC. Shit I don't know Storm? No TK there.

Oh yea I forgot you play on pad huh? Maybe TK is harder on pad... man anything goes with drone to be honest. I would just pick someone that allow Chris to get some more damage via DHC. Shit I don't know Storm? No TK there.

TK is hard as fuck on the PS3's pad. It's way easier if I use the analog stick, but it's still inconsistent for me.

I haven't tried Doom with Plasma Beam. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Solune

....yeah, *if.* Hopefully people prove me wrong though.

How you gonna choke out a legend!?

EDIT: Who would make a good third to go with Chris/Sentinel?

I assume you're playing Chris on point? Good partners that work both on point and as an assist that I find are,

Amaterasu - Cold Star
Arthur - Dagger Toss
*Dante - Jam Session
Haggar - Lariat
Morrigan - Dark Harmonizer
*Spencer - Slant Shot
*Strider - Vajra
*Vergil - Rapid Slash

Dr.Strange - Eye of Agamatto or Bolts
*Rocket Raccoon - Log Trap
Storm - Whirlwind

Chris also tends to work with all the other Resident Evil characters, as well as Deadpool, Dormammu, Magneto, and Ghost Rider.

Solune

He works for rooster teeth after a short stint at namco.

he is responsible for all the action scenes in the last 3 seasons of red vs blue (check them out they are fucking amazing) and has his own series coming out this year.

Still, I wish he would go back and finish Dead fantasy, really wanted to see what he he planned for Ryu Hayubusa Vs Cloud.

Thanks for the information. Wow RBWY looks amazing. Only gripe about it is if the character art was more detailed or sharper looking. Otherwise it was very stylish and I love Red's design.

Three times a week would be asking too much since people already have trouble with 2 times a week.
Once a week would get people too complacent, and it would make the ranbat take even longer than necessary.
Two is a safe middle ground, and it's the format that I already know. You don't *have* to enter it if you don't like the format.

I know it sounds like I'm being harsh, but for fuck's sake it's frustrating having people flake with little to no communication or reasons why. Playing two people within the span of 7 days should not be some daunting task.
Oh, only two people? I think I could manage that. I thought you meant like two evenings of games a week. That would have been far more uneasy.

Does it really need to be two nights a week then? I mean, if the goal is two sets a week, couldn't people theoretically play them both on the same night if they're able to work the schedule that way?

I would play in a Marvel GAFbats. I just hope it wouldnt take as long as the vanilla tournament. That took around six months.
Even longer, if I recall correctly.

Since time is generally the problem with ranbats, why not just have a small tournament? 8-man or something that can be done in a month.

You mean the "C" man, right? :-(

Also, since we have a few artists here, I'm curious at what people think about this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505225

Just have her ask to be credited if they're going to use it for other departments, or if she gives them an edited version just stick her name in it somewhere.

Also, anybody online?

You could potentially do two different 8 man tourney's with the winners of both facing at the end or even hold two tourney's one PS3 and one for X360. First thing first we would need to make a list of people who actually want to participate and go from there.

Anyone else getting randomly booted out of matches on PSN? I don't usually mind it but this morning it's penalizing me for rage quitting. Internet and everything is fine.

I don't want people thinking I'm that kind of guy :(

shaowebb

People who show up late get DQ'd. That's how it goes. It's also why I'm the best Vega on gaf lolol

You play Vega? My buddy at work mains him since Vanilla on PS3. I should set you two up for sets since all I hear people play are the standard fair top tiers. You are talking SF4 and not SFxTekken though right? If so PM me you PSN stuff and I'll get his.

You play Vega? My buddy at work mains him since Vanilla on PS3. I should set you two up for sets since all I hear people play are the standard fair top tiers. You are talking SF4 and not SFxTekken though right? If so PM me you PSN stuff and I'll get his.

I mainly play on PC, though. I do have SF4 on all 3 systems. I'd have to reinstall the game anyway since I tend to just play Marvel and Persona.

I play Vega in SFxT as well but I sold the game.

SUPAH SKRULL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tTpEj1pe3BQ

Since time is generally the problem with ranbats, why not just have a small tournament? 8-man or something that can be done in a month.
I like the ranbats idea, though. Like an ongoing tournament that doesn't require everyone to have one day off for an 8-man.

If we do the ranbats, I'd like for the matches to be FT5 or higher. FT3 would be pretty lame with only two matches a week.

Just have her ask to be credited if they're going to use it for other departments, or if she gives them an edited version just stick her name in it somewhere.
Hmm, what's the proper way to ask about that?

So, anybody want to play today?
Cleaning the house since my parents are coming. :p

Anyone else getting randomly booted out of matches on PSN? I don't usually mind it but this morning it's penalizing me for rage quitting. Internet and everything is fine.

I don't want people thinking I'm that kind of guy :(
Where do you live?

I should learn that loop for my Wolverine/Skrull/Sent team.

I like the ranbats idea, though. Like an ongoing tournament that doesn't require everyone to have one day off for an 8-man.

I can't play after January though :-(

Hmm, what's the proper way to ask about that?
Just ask. It's hers, she shouldn't be ashamed or nervous about asking. Whenever it comes up or she hands it in, just ask. Or just stick her name on it. It shouldn't even be a consideration.

I can't play after January though :-(
Move in with your girlfriend and fix the problem!

Just ask. It's hers, she shouldn't be ashamed or nervous about asking. Whenever it comes up or she hands it in, just ask. Or just stick her name on it. It shouldn't even be a consideration.
Her name is on it, but it's an electronic copy and she's worried that it will get edited out.

Her name is on it, but it's an electronic copy and she's worried that it will get edited out.

Oh, then there's no problem. If they remove her name just start shit. Who cares about being a team player. If the upper management are really doing something like that for their own benefit, there's no incentive to do something like remove credits. It just creates an opening for them to look bad.

shaowebb

I mainly play on PC, though. I do have SF4 on all 3 systems. I'd have to reinstall the game anyway since I tend to just play Marvel and Persona.

I play Vega in SFxT as well but I sold the game.

Oh Sweet I just got SFIVAE for PC. I hardly touched vanilla or Super though but the online is pretty nice on PC so im seeing how the series evolved. Last time I played this Sagat was top tier and guys were doing this. I remember laughing my ass off at "yeah!" guy popping off and getting a following after every Tiger Uppercut.

I live in SoCal...Orange County being more specific. It was dc'ing me a couple days ago and doing the same thing where it would count it as a rage quit. It's no longer doing it anymore. Kinda weird as this just started happening recently.

im in oc too, do you have twc or cox in your area?

actually, it doesnt matter. i got dropped pretty frequently with twc, and now with cox. unless you have at&t.

add me on psn (kevo_huevo). i want to play gaffers that are closer in proximity.

im in oc too, do you have twc or cox in your area?

actually, it doesnt matter. i got dropped pretty frequently with twc, and now with cox. unless you have at&t.

add me on psn (kevo_huevo). i want to play gaffers that are closer in proximity.

Do you have another psn? I think I played someone named kevo, used team nemo on me, earlier this morning. I got my a$$ handed to me.

I'll add you whenever I get back on.

Edit: I'm on Cox

GGs Karst, I didn't mean to leave before the last game, I was trying to type and didn't know I'd get kicked for idling at the rematch screen lol

btw I was so excited when Wesker's projectile counter worked vs liberation meteors, I thought I'd get hit

GGs GB. What number are you at for the challenge now? You should post the numbers at the close of every night!

I enjoyed our matches. Your Magneto has definitely improved since we last played. I think your Wolverine lacks aggression, and you don't use any of Skrull's dirty stuff (one Meteor Smash in 7 matches, was it?). I don't have any thoughts on Sentinel because I don't think he ever did anything. I also don't think you ever tried to FOOT DIVE me with Doom - be more cheap!

Your X-23 combo was really impressive, and I liked your method of approach with her, but I'm not sure EMD is what she needs. She felt pretty naked out there. Strider did fine, but he's also one of the best Dormammu and Morrigan counters in the game. I would tell you to spend some time in training mode practicing his Vajra hit confirms, but you're not allowed to do that right now!

My Dark Phoenix was pretty mediocre. I'm still getting used to the kind of psychology she induces, and I don't expect the random hypers all the time since in any other situation they're a bad decision. That match where you caught me with c.L with Doom pissed me off since I meant to do TK Overdrive instead of TK Shot and had a hand slip. -_-

Good matches. We'll play more in ~4 days? The connection was a bit "meh", but tolerable. I would play more but I have to go buy a Christmas gift.

Let me know what you thought of my team. And yeah, Wesker counter working against 1D2C made me go "wut?", but it makes sense. Haha! Excellent timing right there. I was also happy that Dormammu didn't get hit by Vajra once, and I countered it with j.M every time. Eventually I'll turn that j.M into a full Strider kill combo.

Oh, only two people? I think I could manage that. I thought you meant like two evenings of games a week. That would have been far more uneasy.

Does it really need to be two nights a week then? I mean, if the goal is two sets a week, couldn't people theoretically play them both on the same night if they're able to work the schedule that way?
The way it goes is you're assigned two people from your pool of people to play. You find a time during the week to play them, then record the results (as in who won, not literally record the matches). You were dancing around the correct method in this post, actually.
So is mine but I still use him.

Beef TKs are the easiest thing. 720s are a bitch.
720s are way easier. But I use grapplers. *shrug*
You could potentially do two different 8 man tourney's with the winners of both facing at the end or even hold two tourney's one PS3 and one for X360. First thing first we would need to make a list of people who actually want to participate and go from there.

I dunno, maybe. This whole thing still isn't even close to completed yet, I'm mainly gauging interest as I've said before.

Anyone else wanna play?

GGs GB. What number are you at for the challenge now? You should post the numbers at the close of every night!

I'm at around 50, will do.

I enjoyed our matches. Your Magneto has definitely improved since we last played. I think your Wolverine lacks aggression, and you don't use any of Skrull's dirty stuff (one Meteor Smash in 7 matches, was it?). I don't have any thoughts on Sentinel because I don't think he ever did anything. I also don't think you ever tried to FOOT DIVE me with Doom - be more cheap!

I messed up a lot with my wolverine teams because Wolverine is my "never use in training mode" character, and I've literally never used Skrull before other than like 15 minutes in training mode, so I dunno lol. Sentinel and Doom I don't really use either other than for the assist. I do like Sent combos, though. Chunky. But that's why I swapped to Wolverine/Wesker/Doom. A little more comfortable. Plus, it lets me do cool shit like air tag to wesker for the THC and boost up the pharmacist and get a kill.

I thought I was mashing the living fuck out of berserker slash, but if you say more aggressive ok lol

Your X-23 combo was really impressive, and I liked your method of approach with her, but I'm not sure EMD is what she needs. She felt pretty naked out there. Strider did fine, but he's also one of the best Dormammu and Morrigan counters in the game. I would tell you to spend some time in training mode practicing his Vajra hit confirms, but you're not allowed to do that right now!

That was my shortened version, too! Team construction for my team archetype is hard because you're juggling all this weird stuff at the same time. My primary concern is using an assist that gives Strider the best chance to land any hit, which is EMD. But if Strider dies, EMD isn't that good for X-23. But putting her second also means I get level 3 x-factor Magneto, which is my favorite character. I also get a second chance to go for the infinite. And frankly, Magneto only gets unblockable throw resets and OTGs off of ankle slicer. Which isn't so bad because he functions well enough off of an assist and there's nothing damage-wise he can do in level 3 x-factor that he can't in level 2(I can do 1.15 million damage meterless off of a throw even in level 1 midscreen).

Good matches. We'll play more in ~4 days? The connection was a bit "meh", but tolerable. I would play more but I have to go buy a Christmas gift.
I think it was worse at first because my internet was still working on my PC for the first couple matches, then it was clear after that.

Let me know what you thought of my team. And yeah, Wesker counter working against 1D2C made me go "wut?", but it makes sense. Haha! Excellent timing right there. I was also happy that Dormammu didn't get hit by Vajra once, and I countered it with j.M every time. Eventually I'll turn that j.M into a full Strider kill combo.
Fighting your team was really annoying. It's all a trick.

At first I wanted to snap in Phoenix or Morrigan(which I kept messing up because I forgot wolverine crosses up at the ground bounce), but really 75% of the pain from your team comes from the kill timer on Dormammu. Playing against you is like watching the temperature rise on a pot of water, and 5 bars is boiling. It's one of the reasons I started with my wolverine teams. I wanted to get you the hell out of there. Your Dormammu movement and hit confirms are definitely improved a lot from last time. It's the first time I noticed how fast he was.

The hardest thing about Dormammu is how many buttons you push in the neutral game. 80% of my setups involve getting you to block anything from Strider, but that standing M makes it so hard to get in, kind of like Ghost Rider's pillar. So I never got to try an unblockable on Dormammu, and Morrigan got to escape most of them by crouching the high.

Your Morrigan was good, but I felt like if I kept playing it wouldn't have been so bad. and I don't know if this makes sense, but your Phoenix seemed... worse than before? Like you weren't moving as much. Just like my Wolverine, you should be a lot more aggressive with her. Especially with a combo breaker. Compared to your Dormammu, it seemed like you were doing a lot of things for no reason with Phoenix. In general, once Dormammu was off-screen, it felt like I could calm down a lot and start thinking more. I did like your Astral Vision combo with Dark Hole, that was pretty cool.

Just the fact that your team is so aerial makes it harder to fight than most people.

Frantic

GGs, Sasa. Cap and Nova are kings at 'low effort'. It seemed like the simpler you played, the more likely I was to get hit. lol Cap's cr.L is my kryptonite, and Charging Star makes me scared to pressure him too much, else I get bopped. Also takes some effort to kill him if I get a hit. I have an obsession of trying to anti-air Nova, or avoid his airdash j.H with a ground dash, but always get bopped. I never stop trying it, either. >_>

Out of the three teams you played, Cap/IM/Nova was probably the best imo. Unibeam is much better for Cap than Vajra, and your Strider is terrible, so it's not like he makes much of a difference. :p You had more success with Nova anchor than Strider anchor, too. Probably because airthrow with Nova is dead character in four seconds. >_>

Spidey/Task/Nova was okay, but Task arrows are not as good with Spidey as Hawkeye's. Made your Spider-Man seem much more managable.

Fact: frantic is the prettiest player on these boards.

Dat JH xx airplay xx strider confirm.

I need to learn these teams to a more comfortable level, but old team woulda got smushed for sure.

Probably gonna give Spidey nova Hawkeye shell another go. Task is there for damage and unblockables once I learn how lol. I have zero neutral with him, and my strider moves like hsien ko. I only learned today that he has an f+h, lol.

I think cap im nova will be how I run that set, and use the strider variation exclusively for morrigans. Seemed to do the trick in other matches.

Frantic

Fact: frantic is the prettiest player on these boards.
Haha, but I was playing so sloppy in some of those matches! Just mashing buttons frantically in hopes of getting hits, just living up to my nickname. :p

I really need to learn to just relax and block when I'm getting pressured some.

Also, Million Stabs is an amazing Happy Birthday tool. I just decided to try it out at random, and it worked better than I expected. Scales to hell, but it's a useful poke. Definitely need to add it my game more to mix things up.

I only learned today that he has an f+h, lol.
lol. That's how I threw you out of that one XFC. :p

I think cap im nova will be how I run that set, and use the strider variation exclusively for morrigans. Seemed to do the trick in other matches.
I would say that's probably for the best. Morrigan isn't going to really stay on the ground long enough for Unibeam to be useful.

The way it goes is you're assigned two people from your pool of people to play. You find a time during the week to play them, then record the results (as in who won, not literally record the matches). You were dancing around the correct method in this post, actually.
I had a feeling I was getting it, but didn't want to be presumptuous. If that's the deal, consider me in 100%.

I messed up a lot with my wolverine teams because Wolverine is my "never use in training mode" character, and I've literally never used Skrull before other than like 15 minutes in training mode, so I dunno lol. Sentinel and Doom I don't really use either other than for the assist. I do like Sent combos, though. Chunky. But that's why I swapped to Wolverine/Wesker/Doom. A little more comfortable. Plus, it lets me do cool shit like air tag to wesker for the THC and boost up the pharmacist and get a kill.
Ah. Yeah, a few of those Wolverine combos were "what was that?"

I thought I was mashing the living fuck out of berserker slash, but if you say more aggressive ok lol
There was plenty of Berserker Slash, but not enough just getting in naturally through footsies. I felt like you would mostly go right in to c.L, get pushblocked out, and then I'd be in the clear to resume. Then again, I haven't played against Wolverine in a looooong time, so maybe I've improved a lot with Dormammu and he's just not as scary anymore.

That was my shortened version, too! Team construction for my team archetype is hard because you're juggling all this weird stuff at the same time. My primary concern is using an assist that gives Strider the best chance to land any hit, which is EMD. But if Strider dies, EMD isn't that good for X-23. But putting her second also means I get level 3 x-factor Magneto, which is my favorite character. I also get a second chance to go for the infinite. And frankly, Magneto only gets unblockable throw resets and OTGs off of ankle slicer. Which isn't so bad because he functions well enough off of an assist and there's nothing damage-wise he can do in level 3 x-factor that he can't in level 2(I can do 1.15 million damage meterless off of a throw even in level 1 midscreen).
Yeah, and despite your team concept there was never a level 3 from X-23. I'm doubting it will work out for you.

I think it was worse at first because my internet was still working on my PC for the first couple matches, then it was clear after that.
Makes sense.

Fighting your team was really annoying. It's all a trick.

At first I wanted to snap in Phoenix or Morrigan(which I kept messing up because I forgot wolverine crosses up at the ground bounce), but really 75% of the pain from your team comes from the kill timer on Dormammu. Playing against you is like watching the temperature rise on a pot of water, and 5 bars is boiling. It's one of the reasons I started with my wolverine teams. I wanted to get you the hell out of there. Your Dormammu movement and hit confirms are definitely improved a lot from last time. It's the first time I noticed how fast he was.
You make me beam sir!

The hardest thing about Dormammu is how many buttons you push in the neutral game. 80% of my setups involve getting you to block anything from Strider, but that standing M makes it so hard to get in, kind of like Ghost Rider's pillar. So I never got to try an unblockable on Dormammu, and Morrigan got to escape most of them by crouching the high.
I've been trying to throw the random normals out in Dormammu's neutral because they're super safe and make people feel less inclined to "dive in" without fear, which is a problem Dormammu has now that Flame Carpet is nerfed.

Your Morrigan was good, but I felt like if I kept playing it wouldn't have been so bad. and I don't know if this makes sense, but your Phoenix seemed... worse than before? Like you weren't moving as much. Just like my Wolverine, you should be a lot more aggressive with her. Especially with a combo breaker. Compared to your Dormammu, it seemed like you were doing a lot of things for no reason with Phoenix. In general, once Dormammu was off-screen, it felt like I could calm down a lot and start thinking more. I did like your Astral Vision combo with Dark Hole, that was pretty cool.

Just the fact that your team is so aerial makes it harder to fight than most people.
Yeah, I like the aerial superiority. That's why I'm glad I'm learning to deal with Strider assist. Point Strider...I don't think there's an answer for that for me unfortunately.

I can understand my Phoenix being a bit worse than before, because it's a new team order and I've been learning a lot with her in training mode, and it usually takes ~100 matches to integrate that new knowledge. This was the first time I was doing Dark Phoenix combos beyond c.L mash into ABC Phoenix Rage. As I get used to the combos, my neutral tends to improve because I'm not interrupting my own brain process.

I'm also being more careful with her because when I use her on point, her death means XF2 Dormammu time. When I anchor her, if she dies I lose, so I become more cautious. It's something that I will improve on over time, I suppose. I appreciate your honesty there.

I agree that once Dormammu is gone, everything isn't quite so scary. I need to figure out something to do with just Morrigan/Phoenix that retains my 5 bars if I have them, because while I can slowly win with Morrigan doing Soul Fist barrages, it takes forever and isn't particularly scary.

Top Bottom