• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

People complain about IM's launcher -> Capcom doesn't patch the game -> People pick Magneto
They did patch the game and made him less like Magneto....

People still picked Magneto. It's pretty much Marvel tradition at this point... Magneto will always be better than IM in a Marvel game.

People still picked Magneto. It's pretty much Marvel tradition at this point... Magneto will always be better than IM in a Marvel game.

Marvel_Super_Heroes.PNG

Some people would also argue that Iron Man in MVC2 was the best by 2011 (when no one played the game... but still it's a valid argument.)

Solune

How'd you let him get through Crystal? :-O
I LOVE throwing out Crystal, if Million Carats wasn't super unsafe, I'd throw that out all day too since it's my favorite attack in DMC3. Anyways, it's a pretty risky move to throw out especially against Wolverine. If he guesses right and jumps right as you do Crystal, you're going to eat a counterhit divekick! My problem is I still get mauled by fraud Wolverines just because of how fast he is, that gap fullscreen goes by fast with Beam + Zerker Slash.
That's true. F.Champ's comment about the team is what I really like about it, too. I hate having to "work" to win in the sense that I'm in a desperate situation trying to open someone up. I like to take a laid-back approach to my play, and not feel pressured to do anything. What I like about Dark Harmonizer is that it means time is always on my side.
Since I like to play RTSD (why do I main Chris in MvC3? I don't know) I get angsty if SOMETHING isn't happening on the screen. It's why I feel the need to throw stuff out, even if I won't necessarily touch the opponent.
I spammed specials until a month before MvC3's release. I completely defined characters and their "goodness" based on what specials they had.
It's why I knew Dante was god tier in Vanilla ^^ and Wesker. Most other characters I had to "observe".
I don't want just crossover combos, though. I want the synergy to be more than "this guy gets the hits and that guy does the damage" or "they cover each other's bad matchups".
That's why I mentioned the Striker system, it'd be like picking your own assist ala Marvel Vs series, and inserting it into a traditional fighting game. But then you add in KoFXI mechanics and its a god send.

Devil(for Milennia from Grandia 2)Ryudo(Grandia 2)2000.
I don't always agree with you DR2K, but mad respect for the origin of your alias.

Why thank you good sir! Time to pick a monster...hmmm...yokai? Flatwoods monster? Mothman?

Decisions decisions.
Tentacles~ On a serious note something manly?
Marvel_Super_Heroes.PNG

Some people would also argue that Iron Man in MVC2 was the best by 2011 (when no one played the game... but still it's a valid argument.)

I would argue Iron Man is with in the god tier list at this point.

Dahbomb

Wait a minute when did IM get promoted to god tier in MVC2? He does not have the neutral of the gods despite having 300% guard break set ups. Someone needs to explain this more indepth.

Wait a minute when did IM get promoted to god tier in MVC2? He does not have the neutral of the gods despite having 300% guard break set ups. Someone needs to explain this more indepth.

Iron Mans up there with sent, storm, and mags in mvc2 now? I gotta see this in action.

He basically can go into his infinite on any hit at any point on the screen. And of course we know his infinite ends with him putting his opponent in the corner for guard breaks.

So basically like how you know Zero can win in UMVC3 with 3 hits? Iron Man can do it with ONE HIT in MVC2. By now people figure out that it's not that hard to get that one hit with Iron Man.

Basically if you learn that when you play Iron Man it's more of a game versus yourself (not to drop the combo) then you playing the other guy.

Azure J

This is almost Jigglypuff becoming S tier over space animals and Marth in Melee levels of wat. It's so entrenched in me through word of mouth that I can't believe it.

mr. puppy

Banned
has anyone ever played Morrigan with Drones before? I can get Morrigan/Sent to TOD combos but her goofy flight/airdashes make drones see a little off.

Hey I think this goes for both of you.

http://www.capcom.com/dsetd/
I have zero artistic talent. I have to interpret my stick figures to people so they know what's up. GB is going to represent my interests with the "Big C", though! Thanks for posting it though, because we have some real artists here that will want to express themselves.

I LOVE throwing out Crystal, if Million Carats wasn't super unsafe, I'd throw that out all day too since it's my favorite attack in DMC3. Anyways, it's a pretty risky move to throw out especially against Wolverine. If he guesses right and jumps right as you do Crystal, you're going to eat a counterhit divekick! My problem is I still get mauled by fraud Wolverines just because of how fast he is, that gap fullscreen goes by fast with Beam + Zerker Slash.
The first week of Ultimate felt so good. All of those fraud Wolverine players trying to Berserker Slash Dormammu and running straight into Flame Carpet. Bwahahahahaha! If only Hulk didn't get armor on Gamma Charge...

Since I like to play RTSD (why do I main Chris in MvC3? I don't know) I get angsty if SOMETHING isn't happening on the screen. It's why I feel the need to throw stuff out, even if I won't necessarily touch the opponent.
I'm surprised you swapped to Chris, too. What's with that?

I know the angsty feeling. I learned to combat it after getting bopped for bad Purifications so many times, and now I'm re-learning it against keepaway since I've always been able to go crazy with Chaotic Flame to convince opponents to hole up. It wasn't until our last few matches together that I really started to find the holes in Chris's game and counter them. If I can convince myself to let go of down-back for a moment, I think you'll see some fun things the next time we play.

That's why I mentioned the Striker system, it'd be like picking your own assist ala Marvel Vs series, and inserting it into a traditional fighting game. But then you add in KoFXI mechanics and its a god send.
Fill me in then, because I don't know that system.

I don't always agree with you DR2K, but mad respect for the origin of your alias.
<3 Grandia II. I'm going to be playing through the original soon. Halfway through Alundra right now, and then I'm doing Suikoden I and II.

has anyone ever played Morrigan with Drones before? I can get Morrigan/Sent to TOD combos but her goofy flight/airdashes make drones see a little off.
It's a decent combo. If Sentinel ever gets a throw, Rocket Punch, Hyper Sentinel Force -> Astral Vision lets you land Soul Drain.

nova has a good way of getting frank leveled up, correct?

i think i want to try a new team of nova/frank/akuma. i figure shopping cart can help me get in, tatsu works for gtfo and combo extension with nova, and im guessing you can dhc glitch out of super nova and take a picture with frank.

i've tried different teams but i always come back to spencer/wesker/taskmaster...but they just dont have good color synergy!

LakeEarth

Yeah, just make sure Nova's ball hyper doesn't get to the last hit or else you don't get the hard knockdown for the camera shot.

Nova/Taskmaster/Spencer is a pretty good team. There's a guy in SRK Nova forums that have made some cool videos for that team.

Dahbomb

He basically can go into his infinite on any hit at any point on the screen. And of course we know his infinite ends with him putting his opponent in the corner for guard breaks.

So basically like how you know Zero can win in UMVC3 with 3 hits? Iron Man can do it with ONE HIT in MVC2. By now people figure out that it's not that hard to get that one hit with Iron Man.

Basically if you learn that when you play Iron Man it's more of a game versus yourself (not to drop the combo) then you playing the other guy.
Well I already knew about this but those infinites are hard to do and you are likely to drop them. He also does not have the neutral game of the gods meaning someone like Magneto or Sentinel is going to get the hit on him first or characters like Cable/Storm are going to stay away from him consistently.

This is pretty much the Firebrand + Skrull 300% set up. You lose the game off of one touch but getting that initial hit is not that easy and Firebrand can die before that happens.

You might as well start claiming Dhalsim to be a god tier character as well.

Hmm, I just figured out a way to get full combos from Phoenix's air throws at superjump height. Is that old or new?

Edit: Ooo, and it's pretty easy to do in XF3.

Fun fact: If Phoenix is "dead" as an assist in training mode, and you raw tag her in with 5 bars, she goes Dark.

Aaaand I finally answered a long time question of mine: do Dark Phoenix's feathers count as "hitting" in terms of cancelling normals into each other? Why, yes they do.

Edit2: And it works for ground throws in XF3!

Azure J

You guys in here talking Darkstalkers, I hope someone did something other than what I strongly suspect the Karst/GB collab is. Harpy, Sirens, Dr. Jekyll/Mr.Hyde & (hipster) Gorgon pls.

Messing around with Zero/Dante/Strider makes me realize just how well synergized Viper/Dante/Strider is. Sure the former team is made with the same philosophy of Homewrecker/Technician/DERP, but man, Zero contributes so little to a team makeup like this when not on point, it's almost a bit sad.

No raw tag tech, no really reliable combo extensions for damage (outside of a specific setup for Acid Rains with Dante and a very finicky pickup with Rain Storm that works mostly corner only), have to pick between an OK-ish neutral assist (unless Sougenmu'd) and an OK-ish combo extender in Ryuenjin (then again, easy incoming mixups...).

You guys in here talking Darkstalkers, I hope someone did something other than what I strongly suspect the Karst/GB collab is. Harpy, Sirens, Dr. Jekyll/Mr.Hyde & (hipster) Gorgon pls.
I wouldn't mind a Gorgon or something, but even as a lover of ancient Greek mythology, I wouldn't want too many things from that world in the game. I like how Darkstalkers is like the Street Fighter of mythology. We have stuff from all over. I'd like to see some creatures from various mythos throughout time. And keep with the tradition of having a lot of American movie monsters in play.

Frantic

I randomly encountered ranmasama in player matches. His plink dashing is ridiculous. I wasn't ready for the barest minimum airdash heights into the soonest possible j.Ls. My noggin got bopped.

But I was mainly getting fucked up by Haggar. I really hate df.H/uf.H airthrow OSes. Also Lariat. And the fact if I get hit by anything I die. I had the most success in getting a hit and immediately snapping Haggar out for Magneto and dealing with him... but I was dropping too many hitconfirms, and those tridashes were something else. I'm bad enough with blocking them as is, but when they're that fast I got nothing. My brain reacts to them, but my finger does not move.

Still, the set did show off some things I need to work on, so there's that.

I have zero artistic talent. I have to interpret my stick figures to people so they know what's up. GB is going to represent my interests with the "Big C", though! Thanks for posting it though, because we have some real artists here that will want to express themselves.

The first week of Ultimate felt so good. All of those fraud Wolverine players trying to Berserker Slash Dormammu and running straight into Flame Carpet. Bwahahahahaha! If only Hulk didn't get armor on Gamma Charge...

I'm surprised you swapped to Chris, too. What's with that?

I know the angsty feeling. I learned to combat it after getting bopped for bad Purifications so many times, and now I'm re-learning it against keepaway since I've always been able to go crazy with Chaotic Flame to convince opponents to hole up. It wasn't until our last few matches together that I really started to find the holes in Chris's game and counter them. If I can convince myself to let go of down-back for a moment, I think you'll see some fun things the next time we play.

Fill me in then, because I don't know that system.

<3 Grandia II. I'm going to be playing through the original soon. Halfway through Alundra right now, and then I'm doing Suikoden I and II.

It's a decent combo. If Sentinel ever gets a throw, Rocket Punch, Hyper Sentinel Force -> Astral Vision lets you land Soul Drain.

You don't have to draw anything though. You can just write a description and a moveset.

They could put in some kind of troll or frost giant.

Morrigan/Phoenix synergy:

Morrigan Throw, Shadow Servant -> Healing Field, Teleport M, s.H + Dark Harmonizer, f.H, TK Trap L, f.H, TK Trap L, c.HS, sj.MMHS, tk.TK Shot L, dp.H

Builds 1.2 bars back and does ~580K. You get another Dark Harmonizer call right after the combo ends bringing you to to 1.5 bars, so unless you do something dumb this looks like a safe combo to perform off of Morrigan's throw when you have 5 bars of meter and don't want to risk losing Dark Phoenix. Of course, it also works if you have Dark Phoenix, and is then roughly meter neutral unless you want to end in Phoenix Rage, which does about 1 million damage all told.

I'm still looking for that Morrigan/Phoenix combo synergy that lets me use Astral Vision mid-combo somehow, even if it involves TACs, while remaining meter neutral. It must be out there!

Right off the top of my head, there's Jormungandr, but I'd imagine Aulbath has the aquatic terror angle locked down pretty well. Which sucks because I feel like a Siren would be great.
Yeah, a Siren wouldn't have much going for her, but the Gorgon makes a lot of sense.

mr. puppy

Banned
^ yeah thats interesting about morrigan phoenix: do you want to put yourself in a better position now with AV that costs a meter, or save it to put yourself in a better position later? AV basically adds a neutral assist to morrigan for a short time, while later in the match you get a free combo breaker.

shaowebb

Im actually toying around with a Lady Gaga Medusa thing for fun right now that I guess I could use for this. I also agree that Kali should be in. I reaaaaaally like the idea of more multi armed characters. Especially since each of Kali's arms held a different weapon/object.

I dont see any rules against submitting more than one design I guess. I could have fun with this.

NOO!!! The Gorgon was my idea. I was working on her and everything in my head. Was going to have her have venom attacks and an EX move where she removes her designer glasses and does a a constant slithering across that if anybody gets hit by it, they turn to stone and she then tail whips them. Also have a retarded command grab with her tail and have the tail incorporated in her attacks.

Also, give her a prima donna personality of I am so better than you.

And give her a projectile of her firing arrows. Also, when she blocks, have her pull out an ex who she turned to stone.

smurfx

get some go again
am i wrong in thinking deadpool is probably one of the most underrated characters in marvel? maybe the most underrated. capcom really needs to make his level 3 a level 1 hyper.

smurfx

get some go again
I'm so tired of people being dicks online. You beat their asses then when they beat you they teabag you and send you hate messages.
love it when you beat somebody a few times and to 'punish' you they don't press ready when it comes time for a match. yeah you're really teaching me a lesson.

I know how about a Dark Morrigan for Darkstalkers. It would complete the trifecta of clones.
She is still missing 1/3 of her soul.

NOO!!! The Gorgon was my idea. I was working on her and everything in my head. Was going to have her have venom attacks and an EX move where she removes her designer glasses and does a a constant slithering across that if anybody gets hit by it, they turn to stone and she then tail whips them. Also have a retarded command grab with her tail and have the tail incorporated in her attacks.

And give her a projectile of her firing arrows. Also, when she blocks, have her pull out an ex who she turned to stone.
I'm sure a lot of people have thought of it.

Capcom just put out a survey to get an idea of what sorts of games people would like to see as digital releases/hd remakes of existing titles:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2012/12/20/we-need-your-input
EDIT:They do also ask about brand new digital games as well.
I filled it out. At least Breath of Fire was on one list, even if I couldn't answer specific questions about it.

am i wrong in thinking deadpool is probably one of the most underrated characters in marvel? maybe the most underrated. capcom really needs to make his level 3 a level 1 hyper.
Agreed on both accounts.

I'm so tired of people being dicks online. You beat their asses then when they beat you they teabag you and send you hate messages.
Only play with friends.

love it when you beat somebody a few times and to 'punish' you they don't press ready when it comes time for a match. yeah you're really teaching me a lesson.
Online loser flowchart:

Lose 1 match?
Swap out your point character for Wesker.

Lose 2 matches?
Swap out your second character for Vergil.

Lose 3 matches?
Swap out your anchor for Strider.

Win a game? Teabag and leave.

Dahbomb

Online loser flowchart:

Lose 1 match?
Swap out your point character for Wesker.

Lose 2 matches?
Swap out your second character for Vergil.

Lose 3 matches?
Swap out your anchor for Strider.

Win a game? Teabag and leave.
ROFL @ this, I have actually done this in real life. Not the teabag and leave part but the switch characters until you end up with Wesker/Vergil/Strider. That is Wesker's best team IMO.

shaowebb

Hey no problem. I thought you were doing a gargoyle. I also got a really nice idea based off of the "gray goo" nanite apocalypse that I think works reaaaaally well for darkstalkers so no worries. Besides this means I get to draw a slime girl with stretchy powers <3 Long range normals, Vice KoF grabs, lots of animated personality.

Currently I have more planned moveset wise for her than I do the lady gaga medusa thing anyhow since I really like morphing characters and dudes with longrange normals.

Top Bottom