• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Onemic

Rapid Slash, Spiral Swords (hold L), s.H, f.H, Trick Down, f.H, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L (hold L), c.H, f.H, Trick Down, s.HSH, release Round Trip. c.H, qcf.L, c.H

You build the full bar back from Spiral Swords with this. It looks complicated, but it becomes intuitive after you do it a few times. I got the hang of it by practicing it starting from the s.HSH point, and then doing it from the start. Combos are often easier if you start practicing them at the midway point to get the inputs down.

How you end the combo after c.H is primarily a matter of meter and your opponent's health. If you want to kill and he has 200K+ left over, c.H, Spiral Swords loops. If you want to kill and he has 100K left, Lunar Phase, df.H, Dimension Slash. If there's a lot of life left and you don't have meter to kill, either Lunar Phase, df.H, air throw, or f.H, call an assist, Trick Down, or f.H, release Round Trip. Vergil is an extremely formulaic character.

damn, same problem with all vergils combos. Linking that stupid last cr.H after s.HSH. The timing is never the same. I'll continue practicing it, but i just wanna say I hate this dudes combos.

A little over one bar IIRC. c.LMHS, sj.H, f.H, d.H, f.H, qcb.L, f.H, qcb.L, c.HS, sj.MMHS, tk.L, dp.H is my offline bnb. Online I usually remove one of the TK Traps because it drops consistently. -_-

I hate when that does that.
I did homework on her attack data awhile back. The only way I can get her to do any high damage while building up one meter is using only her H attacks with specials.
s.H, f.H, S, (s.jump forward) air H, f.H, H, d.H, land trap L, f.H, trap L, cH S (s.jump forward) air M,H,S OTG TK shot L, overdrive H
525,400~529,000 depending how many times overdrive hits

I added an assist for more meter building but hit stun from the assist just messes it all up...

Any ideas?

I hate when that does that.
I did homework on her attack data awhile back. The only way I can get her to do any high damage while building up one meter is using only her H attacks with specials.
s.H, f.H, S, (s.jump forward) air H, f.H, H, d.H, land trap L, f.H, trap L, cH S (s.jump forward) air M,H,S OTG TK shot L, overdrive H
525,400~529,000 depending how many times overdrive hits

I added an assist for more meter building but hit stun from the assist just messes it all up...

Any ideas?
Maximum H is j.H, f.H, d.H IIRC to start the combo. Unlikely, though. j.H, d.H can work. The best way I've discovered to combo extend with assists is to call them simultaneously with the TK Shot L. Dark Hole hits perfectly even in mid-screen for another 40K damage or so. After a lot of point Phoenix play, though, I've decided that I don't like ending her combos in TK Shot L, Overdrive H. I recover just as my opponent does, so I can't create good reset setups. I prefer to end the combo with the j.S. Then I dash back, call Cold Star, and TK Overdrive L to push my opponent back into the corner. I still have time for two quick high/low mix-ups, and it works regardless of where my opponent tech rolls.

whoever thought up TAC's needs to get fired and never work on fighting games again.
Death is too good for such a person.

I just wanted to comment that team Nova/Strider/Rocket has been a relatively huge success. Log assist is shit for the team, but Spitfire works SO good though. Nova with that and Vajra has been wrecking shit all day.

Zissou

Vergil/Strider might not be the most synergistic pair of all time but it is terrifying in that it vastly increases the odds that you have to deal with a dark anchor of some sort.

smurfx

get some go again
iPuqMJQwfOzle.gif

enzo?

Hey guys, SlasherMcGirk is on stream here if anyone is interested.
http://www.twitch.tv/arcadelegacy

Yep just got back. It's 2 am and I have to go to work in two in half hours, but shit son if I am not hype right now. Yea it was an invitational tourney so the player base was very good. The small tourney I won about a month ago got me into this one.

Crap, I missed it. How did he do?

Lost 5-1 against Dark Vergil.

First, in teams my 3 man team got like third place or something but teams was dumb because it was round robin one round only. One round in Marvel is hella stupid but I understand it was just filler before the real tourney.

I played three sets. The very first set of the tourney I played my brother who runs a very legit Vergil/Magneto/Doom team. I was kinda pissed that I go into a tourney and the first person I get paired to was someone I play all the time. We usually are toe to toe but tonight he pulled no strings and wiped the floor with me.

The second set I played a guy who was a sub for a no show and quite frankly wasn't very good compared to the rest of the players. I stomped him 5-0.

The third set I actually ended playing my cousin. (We are a family of Mahvel players lol) Even though I lost. I can say it was the most exciting, gut wrenching set I have ever played. Every match was epic as fuck. Constantly tied with the crowd cheering and gasping at opurtune moments. Lost only by mere pixels of health. It was so awesome I didn't even give a fuck that I lost. Such a beautiful set. You know when you've come full circle in Marvel when you step back, see the competition pited against you, you bring your A game and understand why you lost and are only happy that the games were fun and exciting to watch. Well worth the price of admission.

I can't wait till those matches are uploaded. I think I saw you on the stream Onion Frog when I started commentating.

I love those moments Slasher. That feeling of "Those matches were so good I can't be mad at the results".

It's 2:30 and I'm going to head online with my new tem of sdoom/foot dive/hidden missiles wish me luck
Are you drunk?

TK Overdrive H conversion for DeadPhoenix:
TK Overdrive H, Phoenix Rage (XFC), dash, c.HS, sj.MMH, d.H, c.HS, sj.MMHS, tk.L, dp.H, Phoenix Rage

972,900 damage in XF1, builds about 1 bar after the Phoenix Rage XFC.

That's for happy birthday situations. Against just one opponent, it's more reliable to Phoenix Rage (XFC), TK Trap H, Teleport H, d.H. It all connects perfectly.

onionfrog

Yep just got back. It's 2 am and I have to go to work in two in half hours, but shit son if I am not hype right now. Yea it was an invitational tourney so the player base was very good. The small tourney I won about a month ago got me into this one.
It was pretty fun to watch for two reasons:
1: The matches were FT5, so you got to see some adaptation from the players due to the longer sets.
2: you had people using some unconventional teams, which are always interesting to watch.

The second set I played a guy who was a sub for a no show and quite frankly wasn't very good compared to the rest of the players. I stomped him 5-0.
Watching that set reminded me of when we play. So much running into maya shield and trying to hit you through it, and getting punished with a full combo from wright. Lol
The third set I actually ended playing my cousin. (We are a family of Mahvel players lol) Even though I lost. I can say it was the most exciting, gut wrenching set I have ever played. Every match was epic as fuck. Constantly tied with the crowd cheering and gasping at opurtune moments. Lost only by mere pixels of health. It was so awesome I didn't even give a fuck that I lost. Such a beautiful set. You know when you've come full circle in Marvel when you step back, see the competition pited against you, you bring your A game and understand why you lost and are only happy that the games were fun and exciting to watch. Well worth the price of admission.
This was a really close set! It was fun to watch.
I can't wait till those matches are uploaded. I think I saw you on the stream Onion Frog when I started commentating.
Yeah I think I was the only person on stream chat who wasn't at the venue or part of the arcade.

I'm glad I happened upon the stream, and was surprised to see you on it.

It's 2:30 and I'm going to head online with my new tem of sdoom/foot dive/hidden missiles wish me luck
This reminds me, I wish we could pick 3 of the same character, at least for offline versus. That was fun to mess around with in mvc2.
Triple Juggernaut anyone?

Onemic

Think I may have solved my months long vergil sword loop cr.H problem. Seems like I was doing judgement cut too quickly after round trip, which would tend to cause the dummy to not be suspended in the air long enough for cr.H to connect, which is why I was thinking the timing was always different. Waiting until after round trip goes through the dummy and then doing judgement cut makes the Cr.H link much more intuitive and less random. I no longer hate this dudes combos anymore, yay.

EDIT: None of this matters, I wasn't even doing the above combo correctly.

Think I may have solved my months long vergil sword loop cr.H problem. Seems like I was doing judgement cut too quickly after round trip, which would tend to cause the dummy to not be suspended in the air long enough for cr.H to connect, which is why I was thinking the timing was always different. Waiting until after round trip goes through the dummy and then doing judgement cut makes the Cr.H link much more intuitive and less random. I no longer hate this dudes combos anymore, yay.
You're supposed to:
Round Trip
c.H ASAP
Judgment Cut ASAP
c.H ASAP

If you've just been trying to Round Trip into Judgment Cut, then you couldn't land the c.H link because you were doing the combo wrong!

Onemic

You're supposed to:
Round Trip
c.H ASAP
Judgment Cut ASAP
c.H ASAP

If you've just been trying to Round Trip into Judgment Cut, then you couldn't land the c.H link because you were doing the combo wrong!

I thought the c.H after round trip was optional? I actually haven't tried it yet since you said it was much harder to execute :p

I thought the c.H after round trip was optional? I actually haven't tried it yet since you said it was much harder to execute :p
No no, the second c.H is the one that takes practice. c.H after Round Trip into Judgment Cut I got on my first try it's so easy. c.H after Judgment Cut is the one everyone drops when they're learning Vergil. You can even delay the first c.H and everything works fine, it's very lenient.

When learning Vergil, a lot of people go straight into Spiral Swords after Judgment Cut since you can still do the loops and don't lose much damage (one c.H in a highly scaled combo is maybe 10K damage). That's the c.H that you drop if the combo is hard for you.

Onemic

No no, the second c.H is the one that takes practice. c.H after Round Trip into Judgment Cut I got on my first try it's so easy. c.H after Judgment Cut is the one everyone drops when they're learning Vergil. You can even delay the first c.H and everything works fine, it's very lenient.

When learning Vergil, a lot of people go straight into Spiral Swords after Judgment Cut since you can still do the loops and don't lose much damage (one c.H in a highly scaled combo is maybe 10K damage). That's the c.H that you drop if the combo is hard for you.

Ive been doing it all wrong. All wrong. so many hours of practice wasted...........

So looks like I wasn't even doing the combo right in the first place since I first started practicing with Vergil. I was never doing a c.H after round trip. I was actually doing:

round trip>SH>judgement cut>c.H

instead of

round trip>c.H>judgement cut>c.H

I just tried the real method with the two c.H and.....ITS SO FUCKING EASY, IM SO MAD RIGHT NOW.

Ive been doing it all wrong. All wrong. so many hours of practice wasted...........

So looks like I wasn't even doing the combo right in the first place since I first started practicing with Vergil. I was never doing a c.H after round trip. I was actually doing:

round trip>SH>judgement cut>c.H

instead of

round trip>c.H>judgement cut>c.H

I just tried the real method with the two c.H and.....ITS SO FUCKING EASY, IM SO MAD RIGHT NOW.
The SH method also works, but it's waaaaaay harder. Sollune is the only person I've ever seen do it consistently, and I don't know what his trick is. I know how you feel, though. I practiced Morrigan combos for a week with the wrong Soul Fist input. :p

We need that "The More You Know" rainbow picture.

Onemic

The SH method also works, but it's waaaaaay harder. Sollune is the only person I've ever seen do it consistently, and I don't know what his trick is. I know how you feel, though. I practiced Morrigan combos for a week with the wrong Soul Fist input. :p

We need that "The More You Know" rainbow picture.

6a00e54ef2e21b88330168e8fcb6e3970c.jpg

SH method works if you delay doing SH after round trip as they stay suspended in the air long enough for c.H to hit. The two c.H method is still wayyyy easier though. What's the benefit of doing SH instead anyway? More meter/damage?

I love those moments Slasher. That feeling of "Those matches were so good I can't be mad at the results".

Are you drunk?

TK Overdrive H conversion for DeadPhoenix:
TK Overdrive H, Phoenix Rage (XFC), dash, c.HS, sj.MMH, d.H, c.HS, sj.MMHS, tk.L, dp.H, Phoenix Rage

972,900 damage in XF1, builds about 1 bar after the Phoenix Rage XFC.

That's for happy birthday situations. Against just one opponent, it's more reliable to Phoenix Rage (XFC), TK Trap H, Teleport H, d.H. It all connects perfectly.

Thanks.
I'm actually collecting a lot of combos and tech so if you don't mind I'm going to add that to the collection. I wrote a while back on SRK about collecting all the tech phoenix has. Do you have any that I can add?
I have so far this:

double air dash from TK overdrive M
teleport recovery canceled into Phoenix rage
Teleport mix up with:
-TK shot
-Trap
-assist
Phoenix Rage mix up - PR then cancel into XF then teleport.
Dark Phoenix only:
feather/teleport mix up tech
Guard Break- feather into teleport nullify push block and grab the push block.
feathers as cover

I have others but only combo extensions. And not counting the TAC whiff you showed.

Thanks.
I'm actually collecting a lot of combos and tech so if you don't mind I'm going to add that to the collection. I wrote a while back on SRK about collecting all the tech phoenix has. Do you have any that I can add?
I have so far this:

double air dash from TK overdrive M
teleport recovery canceled into Phoenix rage
Teleport mix up with:
-TK shot
-Trap
-assist
Phoenix Rage mix up - PR then cancel into XF then teleport.
Dark Phoenix only:
feather/teleport mix up tech
Guard Break- feather into teleport nullify push block and grab the push block.
feathers as cover

I have others but only combo extensions. And not counting the TAC whiff you showed.
Check this out. Off of a ground throw, dash + call Dagger Toss, jump and TK Shot L, and you can get full combos from anywhere. Super tight timing. Also, after an air throw teleport, jump and TK Shot L, and you can continue the combo in X-Factor.

If you post a list up somewhere, just toss my name in a general credits section and I'm happy.

6a00e54ef2e21b88330168e8fcb6e3970c.jpg

SH method works if you delay doing SH after round trip as they stay suspended in the air long enough for c.H to hit. The two c.H method is still wayyyy easier though. What's the benefit of doing SH instead anyway? More meter/damage?
Yeah, just more meter and damage. I prefer consistency, personally.

Thank you kindly, good sirs.

This thread seems to be slowing down quite a bit.
Winter break is over, and a ton of new games are coming out. The FGW thread will stay popular because streams can be done on the side while working on other stuff, but this thread will continue to be slow without new announcements to let it rival stuff like MGR and NNK. It's not a GAF thing, either. UMvC3 fell off the PS3 top 10 boards for the first time this month on GFAQs.

onionfrog

Since every Dante player seems to have an XF video, here's mine. Not very swag, but I'm all about those quick kills. Also has some incoming mixups in XF3, and the second to last one is my go-to and it's so dumb.
Nice XF combos here frantic. It makes me wish I could play as Dante. My execution is ass, so I'll stick with simpler characters. I drop easy combos enough in real matches as is!

It must be time for a comprehensive rebalance patch ala SSF4AE:2012 and SFxT:2013!
A man can dream, can't he?
EDIT: They need to fix TAC's, reduce/eliminate the stupid meter gain/loss on side and down TACs. Then make TAC counters lead to full combos for every character.

Azure J

Since every Dante player seems to have an XF video, here's mine. Not very swag, but I'm all about those quick kills. Also has some incoming mixups in XF3, and the second to last one is my go-to and it's so dumb.

*RIP s.L*

I lol'd. Good stuff.

Thank you kindly, good sirs.

I blame Pokemon. I just started my Black 2 and you think I theory it up in Marvel? See me in Pokemon son. :lol

Well, I personally blame college for not giving me enough time to really play Marvel outside of our weekly offline reunions/tourneys.

It feels like I'm ignored whenever I post something most of the time anyways

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'm just bored with the game. There's no more characters I want to try out cept Magneto I guess. Now it's just get better with the characters I know which is boring.

Well, I personally blame college for not giving me enough time to really play Marvel outside of our weekly offline reunions/tourneys.

It feels like I'm ignored whenever I post something most of the time anyways
I only don't respond to you because you're usually looking for matches, and we're not on the same system. :-( My next-gen fantasy is cross-system play (yeah right).

I'm just bored with the game. There's no more characters I want to try out cept Magneto I guess. Now it's just get better with the characters I know which is boring.
I consider playing the characters that I like to be the actual joy of the game. It's enjoying the fruit of your learning.

Firebrand should have 1 mill health and his BnBs should do about 500K damage. I can only dream...
His bnbs do about 500K damage, though.

It must be time for a comprehensive rebalance patch ala SSF4AE:2012 and SFxT:2013!
A man can dream, can't he?
EDIT: They need to fix TAC's, reduce/eliminate the stupid meter gain/loss on side and down TACs. Then make TAC counters lead to full combos for every character.
The game could use some reworking, but I still adore the hell out of it. I enjoy every set I play on some level.

onionfrog

The game could use some reworking, but I still adore the hell out of it. I enjoy every set I play on some level.
Agreed. This game is great as is, it's definitely the most fun I've had with a fighting game this gen. It'd still be nice to have a rebalance to shake things up though. Maybe we'd see more of the lesser used characters then.
I'd play Hsienko if her movement was not so bad.

Maybe I should try to learn a new team, that would switch things up without the need for capcom to do anything.

Dahbomb

UMvC3 fell off the PS3 top 10 boards for the first time this month on GFAQs.
Wow I didn't know the game got that much traffic at GFAQs.

Although this month a lot of new games are coming out so that's to be expected.

At this point if a UMVC3 update or MVC4 game isn't being worked on it's 100% due to some licensing problem. Sven already stated that Capcom in general is happy with UMVC3's sales as it continued to get sales throughout the year (ie. it had legs). We all know the demand is there, both Capcom and Marvel have up to their ears with requests and Twitter spam. I guess Capcom is gearing up for next gen and fine tuning for Panta Rei. To be honest a lot of their other IPs are hanging in the balance with no idea where Capcom will take them next. I have no idea what direction the next DMC game will take or if there will even be one in the future.

onionfrog

To be honest a lot of their other IPs are hanging in the balance with no idea where Capcom will take them next. I have no idea what direction the next DMC game will take or if there will even be one in the future.
Atleast DMC just got a game recently. I'm more interested in what(if anything) will happen with these franchises:
Onimusha
Viewtiful Joe
Megaman
Megaman X
Darkstalkers

Especially Viewtiful Joe, I'm heartbroken over that shit. The first two games were great(the second slightly less so), then they got sidetracked with crappy side-games like red hot rumble and the DS game.. And haven't done anything with the franchise since.

Although to be fair, they've done an equal amount of excellent things with other franchises:
The Revival of Street Fighter with SF4 and its expansions.
Bionic Commando's 3D reboot(fuck the haters) and the Bionic Commando Rearmed games.
Megaman 9 and 10...
And probably some more I can't think of right now.

Bizazedo

I am curious how Marvel thought the Kinect Marvel fighting game did. It was Kinect, not MvC, and not aimed at..."us"...for lack of a better term.

I can't imagine it did well.

Even if they were paid MORE for it, exposure wise it can't come close to MvC which, I hope, they realize.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Atleast DMC just got a game recently. I'm more interested in what(if anything) will happen with these franchises:
Onimusha
Viewtiful Joe
Megaman
Megaman X
Darkstalkers

Especially Viewtiful Joe, I'm heartbroken over that shit. The first two games were great(the second slightly less so), then they got sidetracked with crappy side-games like red hot rumble and the DS game.. And haven't done anything with the franchise since.

No, it didn't.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
I go to bed hoping for a balance patch every night because if Iron Man had a real ground dash there wouldn't be a single doubt in my mind he'd be at least mid tier.

This game really needs an enema at some point to get rid of a lot of the dumb stuff. TAC infinites, Vergil, and Zero are all end game strategies but they also make the game not very entertaining to watch or play. Getting 5 bars and a dead character because your opponent lost rock paper scissors rigged in your favor isn't exactly a pinnacle of fighting game design.

This is going to help a lot since I just picked up Dante and I sometimes end up with him as my anchor.

Does anyone play Felicia. I've been playing Felicia/Nova/Strider for a little over a month now and it's probably my favorite team to play but I don't feel like I'm doing things the way I should be. The team is basically me constantly going for unblockables and a lot of resets. And by the end I have 5 meters for Strider since I rarely ever use the meter.

Yea it's definitely slowed down but Marvel isn't out for the count or anything. It's the perfect type of game to play in small bursts. I've never had trouble running into people online at any time either. Tourney's still go on and people discover new things all the time just not as frequently as before, that doesn't mean the game is dead. It's just getting put on the backburner for the time being. Personnely in the last month I bought three new games and have devoted a lot of time into them and are far from done with them. Dead Space 3, Metal Gear Rising and Tomb Raider. I still check this topic daily though.

Top Bottom