• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Thanks for the matches, Karst.

Could you give me some tips for Arthur, please? I just picked him up today, and I haven't gotten the knack of his zoning yet; normally, I'd trawl SRK for some info before heading online, but the site's new design is giving me some serious eye strain.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Your "lol hitglobes" picture of the day.

seemslegit.jpg

Zissou

They didn't remove crazy hitbox moves in the vanilla -> ultimate transition, they just shuffled them to different characters.
Give She-hulk her slide back, jerks :(

GGs SousedLouse and Marz. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my point Phoenix team combinations. Phoenix and Arthur are set in stone, but I'm not set on a third yet. That Phoenix/Arthur synergy is so good!

Thanks for the matches, Karst.

Could you give me some tips for Arthur, please? I just picked him up today, and I haven't gotten the knack of his zoning yet; normally, I'd trawl SRK for some info before heading online, but the site's new design is giving me some serious eye strain.
I really hope Keits fixes SRK. I'm not touching the Dormammu thread until he fixes that place.

Biggest Arthur tip is to make use of j.S to quick land your aerial attacks. Superjump, j.S, qcf.H is a godlike approach tool and keepaway tool. j.S instant overheads are absurdly hard to block. Use lances on the ground because they have more hit points, daggers and axe in the air for covering more area. Jumping and using his fire bottle can be a good approach and run away tool.

Frantic

Remember when everyone complained about Dante's normals and they nerfed them?

What made Capcom forget about that when they were creating Vergil?

Bizazedo

BTW, what's up with your Vergil? lol

It always takes me a reeeeeeeeeeeeally long time to learn a character. Plus he's totally YOLO and that's not my playstyle. (i.e., I suck with him right now and that even goes to affecting TOD combos).

That, combined with playing like once every few months + long months before that of no playing..I've degraded a LOT.

S'why I wanted to play a lot tonight and going forward, to get it back.

Onemic

GGs, you've improved a lot. You're still way too defensive, though. You missed a lot of opportunities to punish me because you tend to up-back.

I noticed you use two cr.H for Vergils sword loop instead of one. Does that make it easier to execute or harder?

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
I finally got Iron Man's midscreen TAC infinite down! From down exchange, the easiest direction, but still progress is progress.

I've been playing SFxT lately and also am going to jump on the Skullgirls train. Learning two new fighting games on top of already practicing UMvC3 and SF4...its going to be nuts especially because I'm not somebody that only plays fighting games, I play lots of other games as well.

GGs SousedLouse and Marz. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my point Phoenix team combinations. Phoenix and Arthur are set in stone, but I'm not set on a third yet. That Phoenix/Arthur synergy is so good!

Yeah, Phoenix gets a lot of mileage with Arthur, especially during the beginning of the match.

I'm not sure what she'd need for a third, actually; as far as characters go, she's got a little bit of everything. Maybe Dark Harmonizer would help, since it would give you more meter to play with? Or maybe a character with an assist that hits at superjump/flight height, so that Arthur can stand a chance of hitting an opponent at that height without the armor power-up. Either or of those two or just going with a character you know how to play well would be good for 3rd, or perhaps 2nd if you're banking on Arthur as an anchor.

Frantic

It always takes me a reeeeeeeeeeeeally long time to learn a character. Plus he's totally YOLO and that's not my playstyle. (i.e., I suck with him right now and that even goes to affecting TOD combos).

That, combined with playing like once every few months + long months before that of no playing..I've degraded a LOT.

S'why I wanted to play a lot tonight and going forward, to get it back.
lol, it just surprised me that despite your Zero/Nova, your Vergil is so non-threatening, haha. Needs more Helm Breaker. :p

I noticed you use two cr.H for Vergils sword loop instead of one. Does that make it easier to execute or harder?
Definitely harder, but it's more meter, and I'm a meter junky. You get used to it, though. I hadn't used Vergil for like 3 months before our matches and I still had the loops down. It's one of those things that just stick with you because it flows so nicely.

Yeah, Phoenix gets a lot of mileage with Arthur, especially during the beginning of the match.

I'm not sure what she'd need for a third, actually; as far as characters go, she's got a little bit of everything. Maybe Dark Harmonizer would help, since it would give you more meter to play with? Or maybe a character with an assist that hits at superjump/flight height, so that Arthur can stand a chance of hitting an opponent at that height without the armor power-up. Either or of those two or just going with a character you know how to play well would be good for 3rd, or perhaps 2nd if you're banking on Arthur as an anchor.
Dante is kind of a natural 3rd, because Phoenix could really use that anti-air, and Jam Session also pins (yummy!). But I don't feel like Dante gets anything from Arthur's daggers, and he'd much rather have EMD. Maybe a Dante player can prove me wrong on that, though.

I also really like having a safe DHC for Phoenix that makes people not want to random her out. I liked Storm because Phoenix Rage -> Ice Storm is brutal and beats out nearly every hyper in the game no matter what Phoenix is up to when I do it.

I'd also love to have a pinning assist for Phoenix.

So, I'd say the 4 things I want are:
1) Someone who really loves Dagger Toss in the same way Phoenix does (some kind of unique benefit it provides that the character can't get elsewhere).
2) A pinning assist.
3) A great DHC hyper (not for killing, but for safety - I'm reset-based in this team).
4) An anti-air.

That's in order of importance. Morrigan isn't a great fit since she only provides 3).

Bizazedo

lol, it just surprised me that despite your Zero/Nova, your Vergil is so non-threatening, haha. Needs more Helm Breaker. :p

What's funny is back when I was playing and hadn't degraded to the current point, I actually knocked Demon Hyo to losers with a random Helm Breaker.

I dunno, I just have trouble doing stuff randomly.

As for the other two, I still think Nova is the threat.

Onemic

Definitely harder, but it's more meter, and I'm a meter junky. You get used to it, though. I hadn't used Vergil for like 3 months before our matches and I still had the loops down. It's one of those things that just stick with you because it flows so nicely.

Maybe it's just me, but I still find Vergils sword loop combo ridiculously harder than Dante's BnB. Only reason why I don't really practice with him that often.

onionfrog

I bet they thought the range on vergil's normals was justified since he can't cancel them into specials on whiff outside of devil trigger.

I still don't know what thought process led them to not buff hsienko more.

I wish capcom would:
-Buff the everloving shit out of hsienko.
-Give Tron back her vanilla j.H.
-Give Tron's Gustaff Fire Assist some armor.
-Give She-Hulk back her Slide and c.L.

Also, generally:
-Give characters with crappy assists at least one or two good ones.
-Change some Assist/THC conbinations or allow you to choose your THC hyper after you choose assist. (Although this might end up being too good)

.. And I'm back in the MahvelGAF cycle all over again.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I bet they thought the range on vergil's normals was justified since he can't cancel them into specials on whiff outside of devil trigger.

Vergil can't cancel his normals... how can we balance this? Oh, make his hitboxes so large that they never whiff! Genius.

onionfrog

Vergil can't cancel his normals... how can we balance this? Oh, make his hitboxes so large that they never whiff! Genius.
#CapcomLogic :(
See Also:
"Hsienko's Armored assist is really great, possibly the best in the game, nothing can stop it! We can't make her good on point too, we don't want to have a character that is good at everything"

Azure J

Your "lol hitglobes" picture of the day.

seemslegit.jpg

ivBMzBh8hQqLs.gif

Dat filename. :lol

It's not even the normals, it's the idea that Vergil is literally everything people complained about regarding Vanilla Dante turned up by 100. Hitstun out the ass, feature film combos, oppressive as fuck, "SWURD NORMULS" and can turn any match into his favor with one meter. Why would you do such a "good" job fixing Dante then go back and do this with Vergil? :lol

They didn't forget. They just don't give a fuck lol.

The true answer.

The Capcom answer. GGs Niitsuma and crew.

iE3ZlKC6Ma5Uo.gif

Edit:

See Also:
"Hsienko's Armored assist is really great, possibly the best in the game, nothing can stop it! We can't make her good on point too, we don't want to have a character that is good at everything"

Capcom Logic/Scumbag Capcom: "Hyper armor at will? This bitch is going to be a menace, nerf accordingly."

"Crimson Viper's going to be in this roster? Give her Focus Attacks at will. And a near instant invulnerable reversal. And a laser!!! :D"

Edit 2: I've seen this glitch happen before and didn't even realize it was a real thing. Iron Fist has a flight mode guys.

Dahbomb

I actually think it was the opposite. Like they first made his normals so large they were like "ok wait a minute that's too OP... let's make him not be able to whiff cancel and make his normals unsafe on block".

Frantic

As for the other two, I still think Nova is the threat.
Probably, but I've gotten pretty good at scouting air techs as well as preventing him from getting going that I feel a bit more confident against him.

That's not balance, that's fake balance.

For me, the real problem behind Vergil's normals is the speed. "Let's give Vergil's normals comparable/better range than vanilla Dante and make them faster! We'll make them have a lot of recovery(on heavies and specials only) and uncancelable on whiff to keep them BALANCED." GREAT IDEA GUYS!

I'll be online in ~10 minutes if anyone wants to play. I'd like to play a long set. If your name is SlasherMcGirk, I might use an alt team to spice things up.

Hmm I wonder what idea your talking about. You said the same thing on PSN the other day.

I've heard people say that Vergil's C.H. is borked and doesn't actually scale at all. I can't confirm it myself because I'm the scrubbiest Vergil around.

See Also:

I was talking to someone yesterday about this and they said that Hsienko only needs a very fast mobility buff to be good. I said that she definitely needs help in mobility but she shouldn't be faster than Nemesis or Thor for example. She just needs to have her dash and walk speed reworked. I'm no Hsienko expert so I can't say what attack buffs she would need but I know that when playing casuals I can't do shit with her because of how awkward her movement and hitboxes are. If she did gain any buffs to the point where more people started using her, I can guarantee that so many people would start bitching about Gold Armor. The only reason people don't complain about it now is that you have the handicap of playing Hseinko to even it out, but if she became legit I don't know....

Any PSNer's wanna play?

Maybe it's just me, but I still find Vergils sword loop combo ridiculously harder than Dante's BnB. Only reason why I don't really practice with him that often.
Unfathomable.

See Also:
"Hsienko's Armored assist is really great, possibly the best in the game, nothing can stop it! We can't make her good on point too, we don't want to have a character that is good at everything like Magneto, Dante, and Vergil"
Fixed.

Hmm I wonder what idea your talking about. You said the same thing on PSN the other day.
A point Phoenix team that has been very successful thus far.

Hopping on PSN.

Dahbomb

Vergil's normals being unsafe isn't that big of a problem because he has safe special moves and even safe hyper moves. Unlike Super Skrull who has unsafe normals, unsafe specials and unsafe hypers. And then on the opposite spectrum you have Zero, Dante and Viper who are safe on everything.

Frantic

Dante is kind of a natural 3rd, because Phoenix could really use that anti-air, and Jam Session also pins (yummy!). But I don't feel like Dante gets anything from Arthur's daggers, and he'd much rather have EMD. Maybe a Dante player can prove me wrong on that, though.
Dante + Daggers is pretty good. The fact it locks down and causes people to remain standing means you can generally get a mixup or two on block or reset on hit. It's not quite EMD for mixups, but it makes up for it in providing decent lockdown for pressure. Also Arthur + Jam Session is obnoxious.

That team is similar to my Phoenix/Sent/Dante team in a way.

Vergil's normals being unsafe isn't that big of a problem because he has safe special moves and even safe hyper moves. Unlike Super Skrull who has unsafe normals, unsafe specials and unsafe hypers. And then on the opposite spectrum you have Zero, Dante and Viper who are safe on everything.
Don't forget Strange. Every normal is unsafe, his specials aren't that safe/have slow startup, and the one 'safe' thing is Mystic Sword L that's 0 on block, but whiffs most of it on a lot of crouching characters.

That'd be one change I'd make for Strange. Increase the lower hitbox on Mystic Sword L, and make it destroy low and medium durability projectiles - just because.

I thought you were doing well all things considered. You just need to find a strong second character. The only thing to watch out for besides every character can one hit kill me, is being chipped to death. For the most part you tagged out safely during critical times. I was impressed with the team.

Dahbomb

Don't forget Strange. Every normal is unsafe, his specials aren't that safe/have slow startup, and the one 'safe' thing is Mystic Sword L that's 0 on block, but whiffs most of it on a lot of crouching characters.

That'd be one change I'd make for Strange. Increase the lower hitbox on Mystic Sword L, and make it destroy low and medium durability projectiles - just because.
Oh yea he doesn't even have safe supers.

Marz

I really hope Keits fixes SRK. I'm not touching the Dormammu thread until he fixes that place.

Biggest Arthur tip is to make use of j.S to quick land your aerial attacks. Superjump, j.S, qcf.H is a godlike approach tool and keepaway tool. j.S instant overheads are absurdly hard to block. Use lances on the ground because they have more hit points, daggers and axe in the air for covering more area. Jumping and using his fire bottle can be a good approach and run away tool.

GGS man. Is that Overdrive>dagger toss stuff safe on block? I was struggling to punish it.

I like the team just not with Storm. I don't really know who else benefits from Arthur assist but with Storm on the team you're not going to be able to kill anyone outside of TAC infinites and there isn't enough health for just keep away.

I got my first perfect with the point Phoenix team, though I will not say who against. I will say that if TK Overdrive happy birthdays at the start of the round:
TK Overdrive H, Phoenix Rage (XFC), sj.H, d.H, c.HS, sj.MMHS, tk.L, dp.H, Phoenix Rage

Two characters down!

I'll play you. I'm fairly ok, so I won't just be a punching bag. I'll be a punching bag that fights back if you don't mind.
I'm on and ready.

I thought you were doing well all things considered. You just need to find a strong second character. The only thing to watch out for besides every character can one hit kill me, is being chipped to death. For the most part you tagged out safely during critical times. I was impressed with the team.
Thank you.

GGS man. Is that Overdrive>dagger toss stuff safe on block? I was struggling to punish it.

I like the team just not with Storm. I don't really know who else benefits from Arthur assist but with Storm on the team you're not going to be able to kill anyone outside of TAC infinites and there isn't enough health for just keep away.
Yup, safe on block unless you perfectly pushblock the daggers and TK Overdrive. At least past midscreen.

I'm using Amaterasu on the team now. Liking it so far, though I suck with her (not as bad as Dante).

Beats

Sorry Karst, my parents came home and needed help unloading stuff from the car.

GGs anyway. I haven't touched the game for a while, so I haven't improved at all.

I'm gonna get rid of Doom/Strider lol.

Anyone else wanna play? Quick ft5? Only have like 30 min before I need to pick up the gf from work and take our little dude to the dog park.

Edit: "Sony entertainment network is currently undergoing maintenance."
fuckers

Sorry Karst, my parents came home and needed help unloading stuff from the car.

GGs anyway. I haven't touched the game for a while, so I haven't improved at all.

I'm gonna get rid of Doom/Strider lol.

Anyone else wanna play? Quick ft5? Only have like 30 min before I need to pick up the gf from work and take our little dude to the dog park.

Edit: "Sony entertainment network is currently undergoing maintenance."
fuckers

GGs gents.

GGs gents.
GGs karst. Sorry I had to leave so abruptly and sorry for dat lag.

So is this your new alt team? It's scary because you can realy build meter for dark Arthur, and you have the psychological impact of Phoenix on point. Like you really are forcing your opponent to go ham and kill Phoenix, but you can bait them into making careless mistakes too.

GGs karst. Sorry I had to leave so abruptly and sorry for dat lag.

So is this your new alt team? It's scary because you can realy build meter for dark Arthur, and you have the psychological impact of Phoenix on point. Like you really are forcing your opponent to go ham and kill Phoenix, but you can bait them into making careless mistakes too.
It's just something I decided to mess around with today. I'll probably use it off and on for a while until I get bored of it, kind of like the Ghost Rider team. Though I have a new Ghost Rider team in mind...

I'm not sure how to play Amaterasu. I feel like she can't convert against opponents in the air, but I'm sure she can. :-/

I'll get on and play more if you want to. I have nothing going on tonight.

I mean at just above jump height. My opponent will get pinged by Dagger Toss and bounce, and j.H makes me go over them. I'm sure something like j.MM, qcf.H would work, I'm just not good enough with her to do that yet. I'm not used to having such tiny normals. :-(

Onemic

Unfathomable.

Ya I know right. I don't know why I just find Vergil's combos fuckign impossible to get down. Unlike Dante's, it seems that the timing/feel for when to input cr.H changes almost every time depending on the height of the opponent and how long they stay suspended by Vergil's Judgment cut. Its why I can never get the combo above 10% accuracy in training mode.

TWILT

Banned
Good games Karst. Sorry about all the random disconnects...

Ugh, I kept getting blown up by your on point Phoenix (that perfect on the very first match lol). Still, it was really interesting trying to fight her in a different way. I need to practice some more...

Ya I know right. I don't know why I just find Vergil's combos fuckign impossible to get down. Unlike Dante's, it seems that the timing/feel for when to input cr.H changes almost every time depending on the height of the opponent and how long they stay suspended by Vergil's Judgment cut. Its why I can never get the combo above 10% accuracy in training mode.
Vergil combos are all the same damn thing. There are like 3 special inputs you need to know to do a Vergil combo, and at least 10 to do a Dante combo. As much as I loathe Dante, I respect the folks able to do his combos in a match. Just practice getting the Yipes string after Rapid Slash and you'll pretty much know how to do everything Vergil can do in terms of combos outside of XF3 stuff.

Good games Karst. Sorry about all the random disconnects...

Ugh, I kept getting blown up by your on point Phoenix (that perfect on the very first match lol). Still, it was really interesting trying to fight her in a different way. I need to practice some more...
That perfect felt almost good enough to make up for all the salt of Vergil killing her at the start of the round over and over. The connection started out good and then went to hell around the 20 match mark. One time you had me in a blockstring in the corner with Vergil, and I was doing one thing: mashing A+S to Double Lariat the eventual Rapid Slash. Mashing like a goddamn five year old in Street Fighter. I still got hit by Rapid Slash. -_-

I also really need to work on the hit confirm from Phoenix Rage XFC, because I lost a lot of happy birthdays with that. I really do not know what to do with my second character, either. Cold Star is faaaaantastic, but Amaterasu is a mediocre point character, and I felt like I was taking a risk every time I called Dagger Toss for her. I went back to the character select once to pick Sentinel, but I was so tired that I forgot what I was going to do and picked Doom instead, haha. I didn't like Doom, but it's badass that he can link two Plasma Beam H's with Dagger Toss from full screen. BAD ASS. If I knew another character that could do that while providing a better pinning assist for Phoenix, I would do it. So good!

Phoenix's meter building is terrible. That should change. I can't even earn 5 bars for her without using hypers before I kill my opponent. -_- Without crazy TAC combos I don't think anyone would use her at all because the meter takes so long to earn. It's been a long time since I tried to earn Dark Phoenix without Dark Harmonizer (Vanilla), so that was a new and painful experience.

I might try Phoenix/Sentinel/Arthur.

Phoenix's meter building is terrible.
That should change. I can't even earn 5 bars for her without using hypers before I kill my opponent. -_- Without crazy TAC combos I don't think anyone would use her at all because the meter takes so long to earn. It's been a long time since I tried to earn Dark Phoenix without Dark Harmonizer (Vanilla), so that was a new and painful experience.

I might try Phoenix/Sentinel/Arthur.

What is her limit without an assist? I've only been able to come up with combos that only build up one.

Hey guys, probably a scrubby question, but just bear with me please. Are there any good tutorials on the plink dashing that people (the two biggest examples I can think of that are the slickest dashing are Yipes and Moons) do? I know one of my biggest problems with Nova at the moment is movement (always end up relying on box dashing when I see guys like Moons do the sick ground movement that always seems to pay off incredibly well for them), and I know that this could definitely help up my game a lot.

Also, I might be up for a lot of games today depending on whether or not I hang out with a friend and end up teaching him Marvel.

Onemic

Vergil combos are all the same damn thing. There are like 3 special inputs you need to know to do a Vergil combo, and at least 10 to do a Dante combo. As much as I loathe Dante, I respect the folks able to do his combos in a match. Just practice getting the Yipes string after Rapid Slash and you'll pretty much know how to do everything Vergil can do in terms of combos outside of XF3 stuff.

Which string is this?

What is her limit without an assist? I've only been able to come up with combos that only build up one.
A little over one bar IIRC. c.LMHS, sj.H, f.H, d.H, f.H, qcb.L, f.H, qcb.L, c.HS, sj.MMHS, tk.L, dp.H is my offline bnb. Online I usually remove one of the TK Traps because it drops consistently. -_-

Yo Karst try Strange I think he can link bolts with daggers and bolts assist is beastly
He would be a good fit if he had a safe hyper to DHC into. If Phoenix is in trouble and I need to Phoenix Rage her out, neither of his hypers are going to help me. His DHCs also do weak damage, and if Phoenix dies then I have Dr. Strange and Arthur left, both of which are pretty much gimpy characters that rely on meter gimmicks to survive. Not a good place to be. I used him for a few matches with Eye of Agamotto for his support assist, and I think I like that more than bolts. IMO, bolts is best for characters with command grabs or for characters who can solo combo off of ground and air throws. Phoenix is neither.

I did find some beastly Sentinel/Arthur tech, though. Like Sentinel's s.H + Dagger Toss, Sentinel Force all combos if you do it just right (which I never will).

Hey guys, probably a scrubby question, but just bear with me please. Are there any good tutorials on the plink dashing that people (the two biggest examples I can think of that are the slickest dashing are Yipes and Moons) do? I know one of my biggest problems with Nova at the moment is movement (always end up relying on box dashing when I see guys like Moons do the sick ground movement that always seems to pay off incredibly well for them), and I know that this could definitely help up my game a lot.

Also, I might be up for a lot of games today depending on whether or not I hang out with a friend and end up teaching him Marvel.
Just search for one on Youtube. There are a lot of plink dashing tutorials out there.

Which string is this?
Rapid Slash, Spiral Swords (hold L), s.H, f.H, Trick Down, f.H, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L (hold L), c.H, f.H, Trick Down, s.HSH, release Round Trip. c.H, qcf.L, c.H

You build the full bar back from Spiral Swords with this. It looks complicated, but it becomes intuitive after you do it a few times. I got the hang of it by practicing it starting from the s.HSH point, and then doing it from the start. Combos are often easier if you start practicing them at the midway point to get the inputs down.

How you end the combo after c.H is primarily a matter of meter and your opponent's health. If you want to kill and he has 200K+ left over, c.H, Spiral Swords loops. If you want to kill and he has 100K left, Lunar Phase, df.H, Dimension Slash. If there's a lot of life left and you don't have meter to kill, either Lunar Phase, df.H, air throw, or f.H, call an assist, Trick Down, or f.H, release Round Trip. Vergil is an extremely formulaic character.

Top Bottom