• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

Unless we're talking about 1v1 matchups only, tier lists only make sense when you consider team structures. Doom is far and away the best support character, with his ridiculous TAC combos, general damage output and extraordinary assists. The amount of top players that use him is staggering (anyone using Morridoom, FChamp, Marlinpie, PR Rog, etc.). Zero is better with Doom, Vergil is better with Doom, Morrigan almost requires Doom, Spencer is better with Doom, Magneto is better with Doom, Dormammu is better with Doom...
Doom is not Zero or Vergil's best assist/support character. I am also not convinced on Spencer either.

He is still a support character though, he doesn't win games by himself. You need someone to get the hits and apply the pressure. Zero on the other hand wins game by himself using various assists (Vajra, Jam Session, Missiles, beam assists etc). You get touched by Zero and the possibility of losing the game increases to 60-70%. Likewise.. Dark Vergil doesn't care who is in front of him, he can win games by himself. Ditto on Magneto, you can put Magneto on any team and he will pull his weight and usually win matches because of how versatile he is.

Solune

I still want to know why people put Spencer in top 5.
Depends on what they mean by Top 5 but as Zissou said, a combination of results and ease of use put him in "Top 5". Spencer is pretty much in the archetype of characters that are generally easy to use have a number of good options but have weaknesses to fill in the gap before being "OP". They play differently but I feel like Spencer is filling in the void Wesker left.
I think Task is way better than Chris and one of the characters with the least bad match ups in the game.
It's why I get confused when people say Taskmaster is the most honest character in the game when Hawkeye and Chris are in the game.
Thing is that you can't just win games with an assist you need top point characters. Not every character can exploit Doom the same way. If Doom was as good as Dante on point he would be top 5 FREE and potentially top 3 for being the ultimate package. Right now he has too many bad match ups to be among top 3. No top 3 character should be ROFL stomped by a character like Hawkeye.

I think you have a point to a degree but at the same time, while they aren't as good as the top US players, top international players all have unorthodox teams and they are incredibly versatile with them. Since you already know most of the players I would refer to, I won't bother naming them but if someone can absolutely destroy another with a team of Tron,Thor,She-Hulk, requiring top point characters may not be as valuable as complete team structure.

Thing is that you can't just win games with an assist you need top point characters. Not every character can exploit Doom the same way. If Doom was as good as Dante on point he would be top 5 FREE and potentially top 3 for being the ultimate package. Right now he has too many bad match ups to be among top 3. No top 3 character should be ROFL stomped by a character like Hawkeye.

Ugh....you're telling me. Most of the time I just want to put the controller down during that matchup. I've gotten better at it, but I still lose it 7/10 times. I don't hate it as much as Doom vs Doom though. Most boring shit on the planet.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Hawkeye-Doom is my favorite, favorite match-up. Ever. Sheer joy in making the opponent feel completely powerless.

Except for those one in a dozen games where he gets to step on my head and I feel like the biggest idiot on the planet.

Hawkeye-Doom is my favorite, favorite match-up. Ever. Sheer joy in making the opponent feel completely powerless.

Except for those one in a dozen games where he gets to step on my head and I feel like the biggest idiot on the planet.

Hate you.

But yeah it's just a fucking nightmare. I try to hold out on using my xfactor for as long as I can and hope they make one slip up I can capitalize on. Otherwise I basically have to make a couple REALLY good guesses.

Zissou

Doom mirror, like most mirrors, is super assist dependent. If at least one player has vajra, it's interesting. Otherwise, it's pretty stupid.

Doom mirror, like most mirrors, is super assist dependent. If at least one player has vajra, it's interesting. Otherwise, it's pretty stupid.

Well my playstyle is just so fucking wacky at times that it makes most mirrors I play pretty fun. My hands down favorite is Sentinel mirrors since most people play Sent like trash.

DR2K

Banned
Most honest character in the game is Hsienko. If you got beat by this character then it's by someone who was 100% legitimately better than you at everything, even life.

Sigmaah

Vergils VA is amazing, QUANTUM POWER RANGER FOREVER BROS. I can only imagine Vergil with a voice like that. It's a perfect fit for him.

And people are finally realizing Vergil is better than Zero? Bout time.

Also, fuck doom with ammy, shit is too good.

I think I wanna play completely new characters soon. I love my ZDV and ZMC teams but I dunno, learning new chars is fun and I want a third team that I can rely on besides ZDV/ZMC.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The best characters are those who make the strongest teams.

Doom is #1, free.

Agreed.

There shouldn't be so much weight placed in an evaluation of characters in a 1v1 scenario. If you're in that position, you screwed up and didn't take use the opportunities your characters had with assists in the beginning.

RayRay's tier list is horrible. Why the hell is Morrigan top 3?

Bizazedo

I think I wanna play completely new characters soon. I love my ZDV and ZMC teams but I dunno, learning new chars is fun and I want a third team that I can rely on besides ZDV/ZMC.

Are you on 360 or PSN? Those are team combos I need to play against.

Also, as I have started learning Vergil (3rd and final time!), I can steal stuff.

RayRay's tier list is horrible. Why the hell is Morrigan top 3?

If people just can't figure out how to beat a character, they rate them highly.

Remember Wesker.

Dahbomb

Hawkeye feels honest against teleporter characters and Wolverine but against characters with air dash or no other type of mobility he is literally god tier. I mean Iron Man vs Hawkeye is a bigger joke than Doom vs Hawkeye.

Basically as far Hawkeye goes he either dominates match ups hard or he gets dominated hard. He is probably the best counter pick type character in the game.

Yea that's why I hate hawkeye. He is the spam God. If he's meant to be that way fine, but hawkeye isn't a bad melee character either. The guy has combo's and can deal with people at mid and close range. The same can't be said for Arthur.

Dahbomb

Yea that's why I hate hawkeye. He is the spam God. If he's meant to be that way fine, but hawkeye isn't a bad melee character either. The guy has combo's and can deal with people at mid and close range. The same can't be said for Arthur.
Arthur has the counter and the Heavenly Slash for close range. Hawkeye does not have a reversal of any kind.

They were actually talking about this at When's Marvel Wednesday yesterday. Like if they gave Hawkeye a Scimitar-like move how good he would be in the game.

onionfrog

but hawkeye isn't a bad melee character either. The guy has combo's and can deal with people at mid and close range. The same can't be said for Arthur.
This is the main reason why I use Hawkeye instead of Arthur, he's much better at close range.

That and I honestly don't know how to do anything with Arthur other than spam projectiles. I just use him for the Daggers assist and Dark Arthur.

I guess generally speaking I'm much more comfortable with Hawkeye. Plus Triple Arrows is a nice fast horizontal assist that doesn't scale combos horribly.

Frantic

Awesome, you'll get to see me drop lightning loops online if we go. Although I got a few last night, which tickled me.
I'll probably drop a lot of combos myself. My execution hasn't been too hot, lately.

Still, you'll hopefully get to see my improved pressure, stronger neutral and matchup experience.

Just post when you're on since I probably wont be on XBL. :p

Sigmaah

Are you on 360 or PSN? Those are team combos I need to play against.

Also, as I have started learning Vergil (3rd and final time!), I can steal stuff.

I'm on 360, my GT is Sigmaah

Add me and we'll play tonight! (If you're not busy with anything later of course) Would play sooner but I'm at work right now lol.

Azure J

...*cries in the corner with no Live*

I'm also having the absolute worst execution today. Last week I do full Seismo FADCs cross the screen, now everything's gone poof.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Hawkeye feels honest against teleporter characters and Wolverine but against characters with air dash or no other type of mobility he is literally god tier. I mean Iron Man vs Hawkeye is a bigger joke than Doom vs Hawkeye.

Not necessarily everyone with a teleport. Dorm's ass is attracted to arrows for example. The 2 that come to mind are Vergil and Deadpool. My only answer to Vergil is to hope he sucks and does a raw telport, but then again he has that one where he teleports above me and I fuck you Vergil.

Deadpool has the fastest teleport in the game I think? Fastest recovery or something. Can't do shit about that. Also his own zoning does decent vs. Hawkeye.

Wolverine is Wolverine.

smurfx

get some go again
man now that i have my new pad i'm starting to get some of my execution down again. sucked making about 10 costly errors every game i played. -_-

JeTmAn81

About to hop on PSN to play some matches if anyone is interested. I'm still wireless, but my Gold subscription ran out and the PS3 connection hasn't been too laggy lately.

Ok, I'm trying out the Nova/Strider/Rocket team in the lab, and, well, I guess the neutral game is decent. Still, I'm trying to come up with combos here that use the assists to extend it but so far I've got nothing that's worth it, any ideas? :S

Good games to Twilthero, really kicking my butt back into shape. I should be getting better in no time if I keep playing with GAFfers. My Nova and Doom are awful right now, I really need to step them up. And I'm getting better at not choking!

Bizazedo

GGs Biz. I'd have played you more, but got some things I gotta do. Still, GGs and I'll hopefully play you again soon.

Yeah, I was happy with it (and I was jetting anyways, dinner..but back now). Good way to finnnally get back into it (and yes I was intentionally not snapping in Strider just to get the timings back).

Your Strider is great now :).

TWILT

Banned
Good games to Twilthero, really kicking my butt back into shape. I should be getting better in no time if I keep playing with GAFfers. My Nova and Doom are awful right now, I really need to step them up. And I'm getting better at not choking!

Good games. I kept messing up my Dante bold cancels. >_< Keep forgetting how much I hate fighting Captain America lol.

Lets play again sometime though.

If you're on the PSN side, friend me: Karsticles.

Add yourself to the spreadsheet in the OP.

Good games. I kept messing up my Dante bold cancels. >_< Keep forgetting how much I hate fighting Captain America lol.

Lets play again sometime though.

For sure! My Cap is my only good part of my team though, lol. Half the time if you get rid of him it's all over for me in an instant.

I'll be online in ~10 minutes if anyone wants to play. I'd like to play a long set. If your name is SlasherMcGirk, I might use an alt team to spice things up.

Frantic

Yeah, I was happy with it (and I was jetting anyways, dinner..but back now). Good way to finnnally get back into it (and yes I was intentionally not snapping in Strider just to get the timings back).
Heh, even if you snapped Strider in, it's not a guaranteed open up anymore. I can block Zero's lignting mixups pretty damn well, these days(as long as I'm in the mindset for it, anyways)! I only really get opened up nowadays if he's got Jam Session. :p

Although the ones that result in an ambiguous landing still get me. Sometimes Zero ends up in front, sometimes he ends up behind. It's dumb... then again, I hit you with a couple boxdash j.Ms that were perfectly spaced to be impossible to tell if it was in front or behind. :)

Your Strider is great now :).
Playing him on point definitely helped a lot with improving him. Still not the best or anything, but better than the vast majority of the Striders out there. In all honesty, I don't bother tagging Dante back in very much anymore when he gets snapped in. I'm pretty confident with him on point, and some matchups I prefer him on point(Wolv, Haggar) because of his speed, so I'll usually DHC him out more than anything. At this point, the weak link of my team is Trish, but I can still pull wins with her abusing her normals, and she's pretty good at stalling/punishing 'derp' so there is that. Though some matchups are pretty much impossible without proper assists, but those matchups are in Dante/Strider's favor, so it usually balances out... usually.

BTW, what's up with your Vergil? lol

Onemic

I keep being reminded why I don't play this game anymore aside from sitting in training and practicing combos I'll never use.

ggs Karst

I keep being reminded why I don't play this game anymore aside from sitting in training and practicing combos I'll never use.

ggs Karst
GGs, you've improved a lot. You're still way too defensive, though. You missed a lot of opportunities to punish me because you tend to up-back.

Top Bottom