• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

I honestly though Captain America might be a decent choice against Moridoom, until someone pointed out that she could just fly away from him and/or rain soulfists from super jump height.
Exactly. Captain America would've been a good choice if Morrigan's game play involved throwing projectiles while being grounded (like Dorm). That is not the case obviously she spends most of her time in the air.

Only character who can go through projectiles in the air is Thor. If Thor had an easy mode OTG, him and Strider could do work on Morrigan.

I honestly though Captain America might be a decent choice against Moridoom, until someone pointed out that she could just fly away from him and/or rain soulfists from super jump height.

Same reason wesker beats Cap.

Only character who can go through projectiles in the air is Thor. If Thor had an easy mode OTG, him and Strider could do work on Morrigan.

Thor's OTG is Wesker assist ^_^

Anyway, Final Round proved that Trish is a great character. Neutral strength beats damage every time. Definitely feeling my Trish more than my Deadpool.

The scariest place for Morrigan's enemy to be is under her, ironically enough. You can dash back and forth to mess with her inputs and go for air throws. That is how you beat Morrigan. Charging Star gets you there safely. She can't shoot fireballs from underneath her.

It's too bad no one here but me plays Morrigan, or I'd demonstrate. ;-)

I'm very surprised that I don't see players attempting to snipe the doom assist more. I'm not talking about magnetic disruptor snipe, I'm talking about THC/DHC snipe for a kill. Most players seem to be willing to burn all of their resources on Morrigan but Doom's missiles plays just as a big of a role on the team. Also, Doom/Vergil > Morrigan/Vergil.

The scariest place for Morrigan's enemy to be is under her, ironically enough. You can dash back and forth to mess with her inputs and go for air throws. That is how you beat Morrigan. Charging Star gets you there safely. She can't shoot fireballs from underneath her.

It's also the scariest for the opponents to be under Morrigan because of that damn shell kick.

It's too bad no one here but me plays Morrigan, or I'd demonstrate. ;-)

Shell kick! The last line of defense. Proof of her impregnability, or a hint at weakness?

Solune

Hmm this is very interesting, how does Mighty Strike fully charged work? Does it have a certain amount of durability or just neutralizes projectiles?

It wouldn't be a bad strategy if Thor could eliminate whats coming at him pre-AV and call Strider while Charging Mighty Smash or something...

Also for as much grief he gets Joker did 3-0 Chris G with Repulsor Blaster assist too right?

Azure J

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";52285863]Shell kick! The last line of defense. Proof of her impregnability, or a hint at weakness?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much why I don't believe anyone other than Viper stands a chance doing the dash unders because of based Focus Attack.

Repulsar might be an assist worth screwing around with too, good call Solune.

LakeEarth

I'm very surprised that I don't see players attempting to snipe the doom assist more. I'm not talking about magnetic disruptor snipe, I'm talking about THC/DHC snipe for a kill. Most players seem to be willing to burn all of their resources on Morrigan but Doom's missiles plays just as a big of a role on the team. Also, Doom/Vergil > Morrigan/Vergil.

It's not as easy as it sounds. While sniping, a fireball can smack you from behind, a missile can interrupts the hyper, or Morrigan is in the air and comes down for the punish. The way Chris G plays, at least one of those things is happening at any given time.

Vice

Hmm this is very interesting, how does Mighty Strike fully charged work? Does it have a certain amount of durability or just neutralizes projectiles?

It wouldn't be a bad strategy if Thor could eliminate whats coming at him pre-AV and call Strider while Charging Mighty Smash or something...

Also for as much grief he gets Joker did 3-0 Chris G with Repulsor Blaster assist too right?
Works like charging star.

onionfrog

Works like charging star.
IIRC It just says fuck you to any and all non-hyper projectiles. Which as you said is the same as charging star.
Did anyone else have to just now download an update for UMVC3? What was that about!?!?!?
It was about April fools day and me not falling for it.
It's not as easy as it sounds. While sniping, a fireball can smack you from behind, a missile can interrupts the hyper, or Morrigan is in the air and comes down for the punish. The way Chris G plays, at least one of those things is happening at any given time.
I haven't really played against a competent Moridoom, but this sound right. Trying to snipe the assist doesn't work well if missiles are already on their way down or morrigan is in AV. Too many ways to get knocked out of your super and have essentially wasted 1-2 meters.that or morrigan will unfly in time to block, which is almost as bad.

Caj814

No seriously, I just had to update UMVC. I'm not joking.

aJEndew.gif

checks anyways

onionfrog

No seriously, I just had to update UMVC. I'm not joking.
Oh, if you're talking about the patches since the game was first released, IIRC they:
-Stealth buffed Chris by making flamethrower cancellable into S.
-Nerfed PW's invincible turnabout assist.
-Added Heroes and Heralds mode.
Someone feel free to step in if I've missed anything, just recalling these from memory.
EDIT: Also they patched out the free alt costume glitch.

Frantic

My blocks have been ridiculous lately. Not sure how or why, but it's gotten to the point where I block things and I go 'how did I block that'.

Still get hit by cr.L a bit too much. Though I think there's something wrong with my downback. I've been dropping Cold Shower a lot, and sometimes when I downback in training mode with inputs on, it's rapidly switching between down and downback. Should probably get a new controller. >_>

Dartastic

You probably haven't played in a few months since the last update was to patch out the DLC costume glitch. Unless you're trying to do an April Fools joke, in which case you put in less effort than Mr. Wizard did.
I played like, a week ago. I seriously don't know what happened. Maybe I somehow deleted the patch data? I dunno.

onionfrog

Though I think there's something wrong with my downback. I've been dropping Cold Shower a lot, and sometimes when I downback in training mode with inputs on, it's rapidly switching between down and downback. Should probably get a new controller. >_>
I know this feeling, I had to buy a new controller a week or two ago, mine started triggering my assist buttons randomly when only the face buttons were being pressed.
Controllers are so much more expensive compared to last gen.
You're really dedicated to this AF joke.
This

I'm not saying it's easy but I don't see people trying to utilize it at all. They should at least try it or scheme for it. But I understand why nobody in top 8 went for it. DHC'ing or THC'ing with vergil, modok, magneto, doom isn't the greatest in regards to damage. Hoping for someone to build a team around the strategy just to experiment. Maybe something like spencer, storm, strider.

Azure J

Still waiting for Sagat in UMVC3.

DansGame

I think I've finally figured out why Minions™ keep talking up and pushing the idea of a patch though because of this post. Everyone feels like they can force lightning to strike twice since "Mahvel 3" was hyped up as something that happened because everyone believed.

Frantic

I've been recently experimenting with recording gameplay, trying to see how much the input delay affects my gameplay - especially online - and it's okay I guess. The reason I'm saying it, though, is because this happened during one of the test recordings.

This game is truly, truly a hilarious game.

Archon473

Storm counters both Morrigan and Dr. Doom. If you want to fight Morrigan with Captain America, you've got to learn to truly play Captain America; you cannot pick him and hope the match instantly becomes 5:5.

Still waiting for Sagat in UMVC3.

Still waiting for Ibuki in Marvel 3 where she can actually play like Third Strike Ibuki, not this SSFIV/SFxT "I'm Cammy with a Kunai" borefest.

Frantic

Spencer/Storm/Dante for true Morrigan counter. Build 3 meters(somehow), THC when you hear Doom, go HAM.

Man, I loved that team in H&H mode with meter build cards.

Dahbomb

Alright just checked the new April 1st patch that went up. From the stuff I checked:

Doom:

*Missiles disappear if Doom is hit as an assist. Also number of missiles have been reduced to 4.

*Can't do multiple relaunches, his OTG have a Wesker low gun shot like hit stun now.

*Foot Dive seems a bit slower but still crosses up like a bitch.

Morrigan:

*Shell Kick has less hit stun or at least seems so.

*Can't build meter in AV at all. Fireballs disappear if Morrigan is hit

Zero:

*Lightning disappears if Buster is used to cancel it. Does not cause soft knockdown but still causes a good amount of hit stun.

*Seems to do less damage than before but I don't know fancy Zero.combos or loops.

Vergil:

Since I know the character well I can give a more detailed breakdown.

*Spiral Swords are 2 meter now. Seems like instead of trying to mess with the values they just upped the cost. Hyper seems largely unchanged otherwise. BS and Storm Swords are now 3 meter but do more damage per sword hit. Storm Swords do not disappear if Vergil tags out or is snapped out.

*Seems like they adjusted scaling of power up hypers with XF3 or they just cut down Vergil's lvl3 values. Takes a bit more time and hits to kill a character and he isn't as fast.

*Helm Breaker can't be cancelled into teleport if whiffed and can't be cancelled into anything except a teleport on block.

*RT glitch removed

*HSH last H can't be special cancelled anymore.

Is mostly the same outside of the special cancels of two moves and increased meter cost. The XF scaling might be a universal thing.

Beckx

The best April Fools pranks are the cruelest ones. Your heart should break a little when you realize it's fake.

Well played, Dahbomb.

Azure J

Vice, Dante. Do it.

Side note: Dante/Iron Man (Repulsar)/Strider for another MorriDoom theory counter. Y/N?

I've been recently experimenting with recording gameplay, trying to see how much the input delay affects my gameplay - especially online - and it's okay I guess. The reason I'm saying it, though, is because this happened during one of the test recordings.

This game is truly, truly a hilarious game.

Man, I get so hyped for staggered Happy Birthday situations. :lol

Dahbomb

I can't do TAC infinites so I can't check if they removed it. But they are easier to react to, the color flashed before the TAC so if you know the colors you can break them. Sort of like a real QTE now only no one should get hit by it.

Wesker:

*Hyper counter has invincibility on start up now

*Removing glasses via hyper has no effect. Instead Wesker gets powered up to old glasses status if he lands his hyper counter.

*Projectile counter goes a longer distance, nearly full screen

* Wasn't able to make his LVL1 hyper cross up but I don't think it can anymore.

Iron Man:

*Is godlike now

*Tri dashes are restored to Vanilla status

*Proton Cannon causes soft knockdown if cancelled before final hit. You can do PC XF PC now from full screen.

*Has a real wave dash now but still not as fast as the trenchcoats on the ground.

*Smart Bombs have less recovery in the air and along with his Unibeam can be fly cancelled

*Cr.M and st.H have the same range now. Finally a universal combo hit confirmation.

*Theme replaced by a remixed Black Sabbath Iron Man theme song.

Top Bottom